Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Have you tried sfc /scannow from the command prompt? Worked for me in fining a couple of update-related errors.

I saw this on a Microsoft tech support post and tried it, didn't work. I did restart BITS too and that didn't seem to do anything either. I did some more reading last night and it looked the best course of action is to just reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Factor Mystic posted:

Here's a handy page: Create installation media for Windows 8.1. Pick your language, edition, and 32 or 64 bit and it'll download an ISO for you, or prep a flash drive.

Holy poo poo, they finally did this? Made it so you don't have to download that dumb installer and make sure your system was the same architecture (32/64bit) just to make an iso or whatever?

E: This should have been released a long time ago. As long as you want 8.1, it's exactly what everyone wants. Did they release a similar tool for 8 as well?

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 10, 2014

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

Anyone else having the problem where Windows Update hangs indefinitely at "Checking for updates..."? I'm at my wit's end and have tried pretty much every solution I've seen suggested by MS. I really don't wanna have to reinstall :(

If this is Windows XP, I recently found out that manually updating no longer works, unless you have automatic updates enabled. (You can enable automatic updates temporarily, manually update, then disable automatic updates.)

edit: Oops, the thread title is "Windows 8.1"... Oh well.. :)

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Pike posted:

If this is Windows XP, I recently found out that manually updating no longer works, unless you have automatic updates enabled. (You can enable automatic updates temporarily, manually update, then disable automatic updates.)

edit: Oops, the thread title is "Windows 8.1"... Oh well.. :)

Thanks anyways! I just reinstalled Windows and everything seems to be fine now, I'll be creating a system restore point much more frequently after dealing with this issue.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
We have hit $99 US Dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPNzx8bcVQ

1GB RAM is laughable and you have to remove the back to change the SD card, but the screen and 32GB flash storage are more than I expected.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Gosh, I am just having the hardest time trying to buy 8.1 for my new pc. If I understand it correctly, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288438200 says that I need to have Windows 7 installed already? :confused: And I can't buy Windows 7 anymore, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Holy poo poo, they finally did this? Made it so you don't have to download that dumb installer and make sure your system was the same architecture (32/64bit) just to make an iso or whatever?

E: This should have been released a long time ago. As long as you want 8.1, it's exactly what everyone wants. Did they release a similar tool for 8 as well?

So I can just use a program like Belarc to scoop my license key, and use that link to generate an ISO? I upgraded from Vista->7->8->8.1 and I'm not sure how to restore my PC if I need to reinstall. I ended up just taking a disk image, but I'd like an ISO to use instead of possible.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vivisecting posted:

Gosh, I am just having the hardest time trying to buy 8.1 for my new pc. If I understand it correctly, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288438200 says that I need to have Windows 7 installed already? :confused: And I can't buy Windows 7 anymore, right?

all the student ones are an upgrade, so in theory you need a computer running 7 to upgrade from

In practice, if you have a friends win 7 install you can use, you'll be able to create an iso that you can then do a clean install from.

e: using the link being discussed above that is

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cardboard Box A posted:

We have hit $99 US Dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPNzx8bcVQ

1GB RAM is laughable and you have to remove the back to change the SD card, but the screen and 32GB flash storage are more than I expected.

Can I install lollipop on it?

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Skarsnik posted:

all the student ones are an upgrade, so in theory you need a computer running 7 to upgrade from

In practice, if you have a friends win 7 install you can use, you'll be able to create an iso that you can then do a clean install from.

e: using the link being discussed above that is

I dont have any friends. :(
But seriously, if I don't have access to a windows 7 install, then how can I install 8?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

vivisecting posted:

I dont have any friends. :(
But seriously, if I don't have access to a windows 7 install, then how can I install 8?

Try installing off the included media and see if it works why not? If it doesn't work, try either:

1) Use the install generator tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media) to create a new installer, then use the key off the student edition.

2) Install the student edition using the KMS key (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx) instead, then once the system is booted, right click the Start button on the desktop --> System, then if you go to the bottom right (might have to scroll), there will be a link to change the product key. Enter the student edition key.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Try installing off the included media and see if it works why not? If it doesn't work, try either:

1) Use the install generator tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media) to create a new installer, then use the key off the student edition.

2) Install the student edition using the KMS key (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx) instead, then once the system is booted, right click the Start button on the desktop --> System, then if you go to the bottom right (might have to scroll), there will be a link to change the product key. Enter the student edition key.

Okay, i will try this. I did some research, if I downloaded the 30 day windows 7 trial from digital river might that also work?

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

God, I didn't realize how hard these would be on a Mac and with a key bought online (no disc). Welp, I already bought the Student 8.1 pro key because it was $7 off so I guess there's no going back now. I've literally been at this all day - why couldn't they have just made it easy :negative:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

r0ck0 posted:

Can I install lollipop on it?
You can't install anything else on these Windows tablets

Also lol at unbranded

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cardboard Box A posted:

You can't install anything else on these Windows tablets

Sarcasm. :yosbutt:

I was saying lollipop is better than windows on a tablet.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Our VPN license is restricted to ten connections and over a month ago we were told they were waiting for the new license to be updated. I've been pro-active and asked for the info to push this through the VPN provider's support myself but still nothing.

So I guess some of us will sit here doing nothing at a company where everything is done remotely.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Sylink posted:

Our VPN license is restricted to ten connections and over a month ago we were told they were waiting for the new license to be updated. I've been pro-active and asked for the info to push this through the VPN provider's support myself but still nothing.

So I guess some of us will sit here doing nothing at a company where everything is done remotely.

Uh cool I guess.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sylink posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to get two paychecks at the same time!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

vivisecting posted:

why couldn't they have just made it easy :negative:

I doubt downloading Windows 8.1 from a Mac is any more difficult than downloading Yosemite from Windows.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

This worked, thanks! I mean, I had to plead to a friend to let me borrow her laptop during midterms and it took like 5 years to create the media, but it accepted my key so I'm going to assume it's fine.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

vivisecting posted:

God, I didn't realize how hard these would be on a Mac and with a key bought online (no disc). Welp, I already bought the Student 8.1 pro key because it was $7 off so I guess there's no going back now. I've literally been at this all day - why couldn't they have just made it easy :negative:

Download any official/unmodified Windows 8.1 ISO image. Google it, whatever, Core or Pro doesn't matter. Turn it into a bootable USB disk. Follow the part of these instructions to create an EI.cfg file (and optionally a PID.txt) and place them in the correct place on the USB stick.

If you can't find Mac tools for making the bootable USB, then get VirtualBox and install Windows as a VM with the VMS key. Use *that* to create the proper installer.

During a lull in the activity, ponder how it must feel to have all Windows PCs and be trying to make an OS X installer. :v:

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 12, 2014

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Finally got about to installing 8.1 Pro, about six months after I got it. FYI for anyone coming from 7, like I did: You can go from 7 to 8.1 and keep all your programs/settings, despite what most sites say. You just have to hopscotch through 8.0 first.

I downloaded an 8.0 RTM iso that someone had posted on Google Drive, checked the SHA1 against the MSDN website, installed with a generic 8.0 pro key (not sure if the pro part matters) and then installed 8.1 with my purchased key. You have to get the ISO through bittorrent or questionable Google Drive links because even though the generic keys will install 8.0 fine, the official MS downloader app will not accept generic keys for some stupid reason. It doesn't even give an accurate error message, just says your internet is down.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

el_caballo posted:

Finally got about to installing 8.1 Pro, about six months after I got it. FYI for anyone coming from 7, like I did: You can go from 7 to 8.1 and keep all your programs/settings, despite what most sites say. You just have to hopscotch through 8.0 first.

I downloaded an 8.0 RTM iso that someone had posted on Google Drive, checked the SHA1 against the MSDN website, installed with a generic 8.0 pro key (not sure if the pro part matters) and then installed 8.1 with my purchased key. You have to get the ISO through bittorrent or questionable Google Drive links because even though the generic keys will install 8.0 fine, the official MS downloader app will not accept generic keys for some stupid reason. It doesn't even give an accurate error message, just says your internet is down.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

That will let you create a Windows 8.1 DVD. You can use your 8.0 product key. It contains all Windows 8.1 updates up to the huge August Update from this year as well.

You don't need a dummy key or anything.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
And that would have let me do an in-place install from 7 to 8.1? Because that's what installing 8.0 with a dummy key did for me. I didn't have an 8.0 key, just 8.1.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

el_caballo posted:

And that would have let me do an in-place install from 7 to 8.1? Because that's what installing 8.0 with a dummy key did for me. I didn't have an 8.0 key, just 8.1.

So far as I remember it lets you do upgrade installs. It definitely allows clean installs with no prior OS installed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...archPageIndex=1

Is this a good buy?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

I think thats a best buy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its been like 6 years since I bought a computer... I'm gonna buy it today if I don't hear its crap! For web browsing, 8.1 development, (lovely) games n such.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Baloogan posted:

Its been like 6 years since I bought a computer... I'm gonna buy it today if I don't hear its crap! For web browsing, 8.1 development, (lovely) games n such.

Games like what? It's basically the same specs as any of the cheap windows tablets, but with a keyboard permanently attached.

Should be fine for pretty basic stuff, and I'm assuming 8.1 development means "I am testing out the apps I wrote on it".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya, but like x86 windows desktop things

Its windows x86 / desktop right? I have no time for gimpy windows RT

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Baloogan posted:

ya, but like x86 windows desktop things

Its windows x86 / desktop right? I have no time for gimpy windows RT

Yes its full windows x86 64bit but its a very weak atom processor. You won't be doing anything very cpu intensive or storing more than 32gb (actually much less after OS and formatting) it should be fine.

weak cpu
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+Z3735F+%40+1.33GHz&id=2326

This is even cheaper but only 32bit, not a big difference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232207

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

Trying to get a DVD to play on my 8.1 machine and these instructions don't work. I got Media Center Pack before from Windows 8 but I can't even get "add features" to do anything on 8.1. Did they change how to get this or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use VLC and be done with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Use VLC and be done with it.

Yes, I'm aware I can do that but that doesn't solve the problem as to why those instructions don't work.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

Trying to get a DVD to play on my 8.1 machine and these instructions don't work. I got Media Center Pack before from Windows 8 but I can't even get "add features" to do anything on 8.1. Did they change how to get this or something?
On a machine that had a clean Win 8.1 Pro install, through 'add features' from the start screen, I can get a dialog asking whether I want to buy a key or whether I already have one. Did you get as far as that, or what?

Sometimes the UAC prompt for things pops up in the background. Might that be what you missed?

I can't test any more than that, because I don't have a key and don't need one, but hey.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

On a machine that had a clean Win 8.1 Pro install, through 'add features' from the start screen, I can get a dialog asking whether I want to buy a key or whether I already have one. Did you get as far as that, or what?

Sometimes the UAC prompt for things pops up in the background. Might that be what you missed?

I can't test any more than that, because I don't have a key and don't need one, but hey.

When I type "add features" into the Start Screen (or Win+Q), it won't even bring anything up as a search result. I went into PC Settings and still nothing.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ThermoPhysical posted:

When I type "add features" into the Start Screen (or Win+Q), it won't even bring anything up as a search result. I went into PC Settings and still nothing.

Just use VLC or http://mpc-hc.org/.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Open the windows control panel and go to "add features to windows 8.1". Might need to change the "view by" from Category to small icons in the top right of the window.

Thank you! This worked perfectly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I put it on my work laptop with a dual boot for 32bit 7 in case I need it.

It's...actually not too bad. Obviously the UX is still geared towards touchscreens, but it's growing on me. It's certainly a very pretty OS and encourages a more simple selection of programs instead of the jumbled clusterfuck my desktops always ends up being. I can imagine that older people love it because the icons are generally huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Pro Preview onto my Macbook to check out gaming performance. (As far as I know this is a totally legit thing that Microsoft had on their website at some point last year, but its being re-hosted on another website). This edition of Windows has certain features locked down until it's activated though, and of course there's a 30 day timer on it.

When the trial period of 30 days is over, I should be able to just buy an activation key from the Microsoft website and punch it in right? I don't have to reinstall windows or do any trickery since it's a legit and paid for copy now?

• Locked thread