Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Burqa King posted:

Good to see cooler heads have prevailed and ACAB has been overturned. I say we give the buggers a raise.
Suspension hanging has always struck me as unnecessarily cruel and protracted.

1820: The last person is suspended and then decapitated in the United Kingdom, following the Cato Street Conspiracy.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'm surprised they were working that late on a sunday

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Junior G-man posted:

Did anyone watch the 'Police under Pressure' doc on BBC2 yesterday? It was about child sexual abuse in Rotherham, made before the real shitstorm hit, and already you could see that the department was struggling to pursue these and other major cases due to budget constraints. But cut away.

but why should we give more of our taxpayers money to people who let paedos attack children without remorse!!!!!

The sad thing is that I bet someone somewhere is arguing that seriously... Regardless of what you think about the police generally, those who's primary job is chasing down paedophiles do a pretty important and hard. I watched some old BBC documentary about the Met's paedophile unit on youtube at some point for some reason that I can't quite remember, and one of the jobs that they do is looking at all of the poo poo that they find in these people's houses to try and identify both victims and abusers, which is something that's probably up there as one of the most harrowing jobs that you could possibly do...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah they have strict limits on how much of that work they do because :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perhaps now people understand what I was talking about after the independence referendum, when I said that to rig a ballot result you would need election staff to be complicit from top to bottom. That's exactly what Lutfur Rahman has been doing in Tower Hamlets.

On the other hand, I don't think any of the Bengali community would be happy if the EDL shipped Rahman to a camp on the Isle of Man because they'd all be shipped off with him whether they thought he'd done anything wrong or not.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

IceAgeComing posted:

The sad thing is that I bet someone somewhere is arguing that seriously... Regardless of what you think about the police generally, those who's primary job is chasing down paedophiles do a pretty important and hard. I watched some old BBC documentary about the Met's paedophile unit on youtube at some point for some reason that I can't quite remember, and one of the jobs that they do is looking at all of the poo poo that they find in these people's houses to try and identify both victims and abusers, which is something that's probably up there as one of the most harrowing jobs that you could possibly do...

Oh yeah, I watched it a while ago, it's called 'the hunt for Britain's paedophiles' and it's on YouTube..

It's pretty drat harrowing watching, and even downright nauseating in places.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Junior G-man posted:

Oh yeah, I watched it a while ago, it's called 'the hunt for Britain's paedophiles' and it's on YouTube..

It's pretty drat harrowing watching, and even downright nauseating in places.

Hunt? Surely it's not that hard to find everyone who was on telly in the 70s.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Hunt? Surely it's not that hard to find everyone who was on telly in the 70s.

Well, the BBC did use to wipe old episodes of everything because tape was expensive and archive space was limited, so who knows what we can still find.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THE LEFTIE BBC SHIELDING PAEDOS AND TURNING OUR KIDS' MINDS TO COMMUNIST BLUBBER

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
One day soon government spending will be at zero and Britain will be a land people entirely with billionaires because everyone else will have starved

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Junior G-man posted:

Did anyone watch the 'Police under Pressure' doc on BBC2 yesterday? It was about child sexual abuse in Rotherham, made before the real shitstorm hit, and already you could see that the department was struggling to pursue these and other major cases due to budget constraints. But cut away.

I'm not sure how much you can blame budget cuts for an inability to catch paedophiles. Many of the abuses of children that they failed to catch happen long before austerity. Cuts will make things worse but it isn't just cuts that prevented them from catching paedophiles, institutional indifference was probably the biggest cause.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
We could all be billionaires tomorrow if the government would only print more money. Food for thought there.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Wow, paedogeddon has actually happened.

quote:

A man has been barred from entering a [farm/adventure] park because of a policy banning single men or women without children from visiting the attraction in case they are paedophiles.

Matthew Richards travelled 25 miles to see a falconry display at Puxton Park, near Weston-super-Mare, but was unable to view the show because of the rule, which is enforced supposedly to protect children.

The grandfather and father of three grown up children had previously visited the park with his family to see the falconry displays.

Mr Richards told the Western Daily Press: "I was frankly amazed. I couldn't see anything about the rule on the brochure which I picked up at another attraction."

The ban on unaccompanied men or women in the park has apparently been in place for the past seven years and while it can be found on the park’s website it is not prominently displayed.

It is at the bottom of the prices section and is especially puzzling as the park also offers single adult membership passes.

According to the website, men and women who arrive at the park alone, but who are meeting others, must wait at reception while the other guests are summoned by tannoy announcement.

When contacted by the Independent, park employees said they would not be commenting but park managers would be issuing a statement over the coming days.

However Alistair Mead, the managing director of the park, was quoted in the local paper saying that he thought the policy was sensible and if he conducted a straw poll customers would back the decision.

"We have done our research and in line with all other parks we don't let single men or women in."

Despite predominantly attracting families with young children, the award-winning park is renowned for its falconry, which attracts all ages.

The gently caress?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm not sure how much you can blame budget cuts for an inability to catch paedophiles. Many of the abuses of children that they failed to catch happen long before austerity. Cuts will make things worse but it isn't just cuts that prevented them from catching paedophiles, institutional indifference was probably the biggest cause.

Well, of course I wouldn't place that kind of direct blame. The point I was trying to make (somewhat inelegantly) is that budget cuts force police units (or anyone else) to make priority choices in manpower and resources that may leave other areas uncovered - more child abuse investigations leads to less time for violent crimes/spousal abuse etc.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Prince John posted:

The gently caress?

I love the picture they've chosen, it's like a hawk that guarding the park from paedophile. A paedohawk.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

I love the picture they've chosen, it's like a hawk that guarding the park from paedophile. A paedohawk.

We should start an online aviary service - renting out paedohawks and anti-abuse-owls to Daily Express parents.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

The gently caress?

So one pedo isnt allowed in, but if they come in a group its fine?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

So one pedo isnt allowed in, but if they come in a group its fine?

A flock of paedo's, if you will :haw:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

The gently caress?
So two adults as a couple can enter, and three adults as a group, but not single adults?

efb kindof, I'm wondering what they treat as a legitimate group though.

The parks policy could be phrased as 'encouraging pedophile rings' if you wanted to double down on their ridiculousness though.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Well, is there?? :ohdear:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
More deficit fun: what would you cut to achieve £48b in savings? The defence budget? Health spending? Funding for Scotland, Wales, and NI? School money? It's all up for grabs!

http://www.ft.com/ig/sites/2014/deficit-calculator/

e: the Daily Mail sandwich factory story is amazing too, they manage to combine attacks on dirty job-stealing forrins with digs at British workers who are overly coddled by the welfare state and won't take perfectly good jobs when they're offered: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2827625/Factory-bosses-forced-recruit-Hungary-locals-not-apply.html

quote:

Its vacancy crisis will re-ignite claims that Britain’s generous welfare system has created a generation unwilling to work, while acting as a magnet for foreigners.
Allyson Russell, Greencore’s human resources director, said the company had tried to recruit in the UK, but that it was ‘not always the kind of work’ which people wanted to do.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 10, 2014

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Answers Me posted:

There were some really good responses to this one on twitter: http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2014/nov/10/sandwich-makers-of-britain-concede-daily-mail-front-page-is-right

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

what would you cut to achieve £48b in savings? The defence budget.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Answers Me posted:

Ed Balls effort:

More responses:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/sandwichgate

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Answers Me posted:

Kate looks loving disgusted at this turn of events.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: the Daily Mail sandwich factory story is amazing too, they manage to combine attacks on dirty job-stealing forrins with digs at British workers who are overly coddled by the welfare state and won't take perfectly good jobs when they're offered: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2827625/Factory-bosses-forced-recruit-Hungary-locals-not-apply.html

It's a question worth asking though. If there are 8,000 people unemployed in the town, as the article claimed, which I take to mean "want to work, but can't find a job", then it shouldn't be rocket science to fill the jobs locally without having to go to the other end of Europe. Aren't people in this thread usually complaining about people being forced to take jobs offered to them or lose their benefits?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 10, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Prince John posted:

The gently caress?

It's not a new thing.

Coram's Fields round the back of Great Ormand Street Hospital has had that policy since at least the 1970s, they have (or at least had, I've not been there since the mid-1980s when my dad used to take me there in a wheelchair) a big sign saying that all adults must be accompanied by a child.

I don't think it's an entirely bad thing either.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Answers Me posted:

Hang on, free ceramic poppy brooch doesn't that somewhat defeat the object?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

It's a question worth asking though. If there are 8,000 people unemployed in the town, as the article claimed, which I take to mean "want to work, but can't find a job", then it shouldn't be rocket science to fill the jobs locally without having to go to the other end of Europe. Aren't people in this thread usually complaining about people being forced to take jobs offered to them or lose their benefits?

The factory doesn't open until 2016, I don't think that many people are desperate to apply for a job making sandwiches that won't start for 18 months.

Edit:

HortonNash posted:

It's not a new thing.

Coram's Fields round the back of Great Ormand Street Hospital has had that policy since at least the 1970s, they have (or at least had, I've not been there since the mid-1980s when my dad used to take me there in a wheelchair) a big sign saying that all adults must be accompanied by a child.

It makes a tiny bit more sense for that kind of place where there's no reason to be there unless you're taking a kid, but a falconry exhibit sounds like something that a lot of adults would enjoy just as much as children.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 10, 2014

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Answers Me posted:

Is there no-one in Britain who will work a poo poo job for poo poo hours for 50p an hour!? This is why we lost our empire*!

*our empire which on balance was a good thing because there are now IT companies in India

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

Is there no-one in Britain who will work a poo poo job for poo poo hours for 50p an hour!? This is why we lost our empire*!

*our empire which on balance was a good thing because there are now IT companies in India**
**except when they call us up or we have to call them and they sound foreign

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Prince John posted:

Aren't people in this thread usually complaining about people being forced to take jobs offered to them or lose their benefits?

No, don't be obtuse. Generally the complaint is they are forced to take jobs literally without pay, with pay so low that benefits are still required to live, without guaranteed hours or in particularly exploitative work and mlm scams.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HortonNash posted:

It's not a new thing.

Well, that explains Jimmy Savile - he just wanted to pet the goats.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

HortonNash posted:

It's not a new thing.

So Paedos are ok as long as they bring their own child. Fair enough, maybe they can arrange some sort of swap meet.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Prince John posted:

Jobless people tend to need jobs now, not in two years time. If you're rich enough to live off savings for that long you're probably not looking for minimum wage factory work either. If you're on benefits your advisor would be pushing you to get a job that gets you off benefits right now, not in two years time.

It isn't an indictment of welfare nor of British people's sandwich making at all and it therefore isn't a reasonable question to ask.

E: if you're in work you won't apply for a future job unless it offers a raise and, given the prominent mention of how attractive the minimum wage is to Hungarians, it seems likely they weren't offering competitive wages either.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 10, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Answers Me posted:

KATE FALLS ASLEEP AT CEREMONY FOR ARE BRAVE BOYS

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's not making a sandwich, it's making thousands of sandwiches with whatever procedure that gives supermarket sandwiches their conspicuous regularity, atop of passing the non-negotiable lifestyle tests that accompany food preparation jobs. Piercings, illicit drug use tests, showing up with iron regularity, etc.

such semi-skilled people in Britain are already in full employment in the UK. getting such workers from Hungrary is more a sign of how dysfunctional Hungrary is than how indolent Britain is.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Jobless people tend to need jobs now, not in two years time. If you're rich enough to live off savings for that long you're probably not looking for minimum wage factory work either. If you're on benefits your advisor would be pushing you to get a job that gets you off benefits right now, not in two years time.

It isn't an indictment of welfare nor of British people's sandwich making at all and it therefore isn't a reasonable question to ask.

E: if you're in work you won't apply for a future job unless it offers a raise and, given the prominent mention of how attractive the minimum wage is to Hungarians, it seems likely they weren't offering competitive wages either.

That only leaves second year students on silly courses. Please make yourself known to the thread and we'll help you with the form.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there was once upon a time when such factories would be staffed with lots of people who were pretty bright but, due to the rigidities of class and birth, were never given the opportunity to get a degree

well if you fix that, then unsurprisingly you are going to drain the cheap labour pool of workers with surprising sandwich-making potential and the social skills to police their peers into also making sandwiches. Those skilled people are now all paper-pushers pushing paper with values substantially more than £3.00 (with a coke and a mars bar).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ronya posted:

there was once upon a time when such factories would be staffed with lots of people who were pretty bright but, due to the rigidities of class and birth, were never given the opportunity to get a degree

well if you fix that, then unsurprisingly you are going to drain the cheap labour pool of workers with surprising sandwich-making potential and the social skills to police their peers into also making sandwiches. Those skilled people are now all paper-pushers pushing paper with values substantially more than £3.00 (with a coke and a mars bar).
The implication being that the country's residual unemployed are irredeemable scrotes who lack basic time management skills or surprising sandwich making potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's how I read it. Not sure if true?

• Locked thread