Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If John can somehow retcon events, he'll have to lose the power eventually. Otherwise the risk factor will be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
John is going to start retconning things, but he goes too far, and Homestuck will have to start over at the beginning. Please look forward to several more years of Homestuck.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I suspected that this Doomed Timeline was going to be (somehow) closed by 'normal' means, rather than retcon powers, because people like Terezi needed to remember this experience to get their characters back on track. But now I'm not so sure. Hmm.

Anyway, I audibly cheered when Terezi heatbutted John. Go Terezi! When the going gets tough, get angry!

Fat_Cow posted:

Trolls are hard as gently caress to kill huh?

Part of the reason I will look at tumblr after an update is to see all the completely bizarre fan theories that get generated. Enjoy:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Part of the reason I will look at tumblr after an update is to see all the completely bizarre fan theories that get generated. Enjoy:

The major flaw in this theory is the idea that Vriska lacks fatty protection anywhere. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

NewMars posted:

The major flaw in this theory is the idea that Vriska lacks fatty protection anywhere. :v:

She's front loaded.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If that tumblr post was anything more than the incorrect blatherings of a lunatic, then whatever "armor" was there didn't do poo poo, 'cause she was pretty much run through.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a dumb joke i'm 90% sure

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
You can never be sure with these tumblr people.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

it's a dumb joke i'm 90% sure

Yeah, it's a dumb joke based on the fact that Horuus (or maybe Equius, I can't remember) implied in one of the flashes that troll boobs had some battle function, which itself was a dumb joke Hussie was making about the fans asking why an insectoid species had mammalian characteristics.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It was Arquiusprite, who was messaging Dirk!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Still interested in seeing where this is going, but if John recons everything it's going to make everything that's happened so far entirely pointless and I'm not sure how I feel about that :/ why even bother showing us this if it's just going to go away thanks to a deus ex machina plot device?

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened in the comic, in a roundabout way. Hopefully Hussie will show what happens during the deus ex machina this time instead of just skipping way past it and having a character just talk about it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CuddlyZombie posted:

It was Arquiusprite, who was messaging Dirk!

Do you remember the page? This sounds hilarious. Then again Arquisprite is the best sprite after dear, sweet, precious Fefetasprite so all his logs are hilarious.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Do you remember the page? This sounds hilarious. Then again Arquisprite is the best sprite after dear, sweet, precious Fefetasprite so all his logs are hilarious.
Here it is and yes he is.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

God, this and Terezi's headbutt are exactly what I needed to remember why I read this flaming pile. :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DOOF! them all, Terezi.

(BTW, my post on Hussey's meta post was dumb and I am dumb.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Still interested in seeing where this is going, but if John recons everything it's going to make everything that's happened so far entirely pointless and I'm not sure how I feel about that :/ why even bother showing us this if it's just going to go away thanks to a deus ex machina plot device?

John is not a plot device

Fixing this will probably take a lot of interaction with the other characters that he's only now just met and character development

A lot of retcons and such have happened just due to the mechanics of sburb and paradox space and all of that, John actively preventing a doomed future's far more interesting.

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, it's a dumb joke based on the fact that Horuus (or maybe Equius, I can't remember) implied in one of the flashes that troll boobs had some battle function, which itself was a dumb joke Hussie was making about the fans asking why an insectoid species had mammalian characteristics.

I've grown to dislike it when people yell about other-species-people having boobies because usually that's the only thing they paid attention to in biology class because it was about boobs. Nothing about trolls makes any sense whatsoever (animals as parents??) and could not evolve the way they did and they're kind of a stupid idea, they're mostly just designed to be really weird people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spritelog posted:

ARQUIUSPRITE: Didn't I mention, master dogg
ARQUIUSPRITE: Our mutual bro is here
ARQUIUSPRITE: That is, right here
ARQUIUSPRITE: With me
ARQUIUSPRITE: We are kind of in the process of chilling together at the moment
DIRK: No, you didn't mention that actually.
DIRK: That would have been a pretty loving important thing to mention up front, don't you think?
DIRK: As opposed to stringing me along with all that atrocious lactation bullshit.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Yes
ARQUIUSPRITE: I guess I did kind of bury the lede there
ARQUIUSPRITE: Maybe I just wanted to talk
ARQUIUSPRITE: We never talk, Dirk
DIRK: You are without a doubt the shittiest mystical guide anyone has ever had.
ARQUIUSPRITE: I am not sure about that
ARQUIUSPRITE: Dave says he had a similarly ty guide once
ARQUIUSPRITE: Do you remember our puppet, Dirk?
DIRK: Cal?
ARQUIUSPRITE: Yes
DIRK: What kind of stupid question is that. How could I forget the C man?
DIRK: He was a true friend. Which is more than I can say for some people.
ARQUIUSPRITE: A good friend in the plush, yes, but as a sprite he was apparently insufferable
ARQUIUSPRITE: See, you don't realize how lucky you are to have a guide like me
DIRK: Cal was his sprite??
ARQUIUSPRITE: Yes, for a while
ARQUIUSPRITE: Then Dave went back in time and became one himself
ARQUIUSPRITE: Now he is part bird
ARQUIUSPRITE: Did I mention he's part bird?
DIRK: Uh, no?
DIRK: Again, that's the exact kind of information that should be appearing higher up in our conversations.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Of course, this means he is not the Real Dave
ARQUIUSPRITE: Davesprite served as Real Dave's sprite
ARQUIUSPRITE: But he is only the unreal version of Dave insofar as I am the unreal version of you
ARQUIUSPRITE: By which I mean, a much improved version
DIRK:
ARQUIUSPRITE: I must say, while the troll part of me doesn't give a silly figging shoot about any of this, the part of me that splintered from you has found the brotherly reunion to be everything which you and I dared not imagine, and more
ARQUIUSPRITE: Bird Dave and I are getting along famously and STRENGTHENING our familial bonds like a sweet pair of mother
ARQUIUSPRITE: I feel our kinship goes beyond geneti% though
ARQUIUSPRITE: We are misfits, estranged, he from Dave's alpha timeline, I from Dirk's alpha soul
ARQUIUSPRITE: A two man menagerie of sideshow frickups, together at last
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fle%ing and flapping
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fraternally and eternally
DIRK: I don't get it.
DIRK: Are you trying to rub this in my face or something?
ARQUIUSPRITE: Neigh, braj
ARQUIUSPRITE: As your buff mystical guide slash personal trainer I am suggesting that if you were willing to contact me as a matter of last resnort, you might want to at least consider reaching out to him as well
DIRK: It sounds like you've already cornered the market on this reunion poo poo.
DIRK: Wouldn't I just be a third wheel?
ARQUIUSPRITE: I didn't mean Bird Dave
ARQUIUSPRITE: I meant Real Dave
DIRK: Oh.
DIRK: He's there too?
ARQUIUSPRITE: Not with us
ARQUIUSPRITE: He is here though, somewhere
ARQUIUSPRITE: You should message him
DIRK: ...
ARQUIUSPRITE: It's not like you don't have a few hours to kill
ARQUIUSPRITE: What else are you going to do out there
ARQUIUSPRITE: Pick at your pantaloon wedgies?
DIRK: I dunno.
DIRK: Messaging him out of nowhere sounds like it could be...
DIRK: Awkward?
ARQUIUSPRITE: Yes, I canter magine it won't be
ARQUIUSPRITE: At least at first
DIRK: This isn't how I thought it would go.
DIRK: What would I even talk about?
ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interests
ARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairy
ARQUIUSPRITE: Livestock
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fine art
ARQUIUSPRITE: And muscles
DIRK: Those are your interests.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Good point
ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests

I forgot how magical this all was. :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Saw this, it looks like Terezi's might be wearing Jade's ruby slippers right now? They definitely don't look like her shoes, and if true it might support the idea that she might be hitching a ride with John's recon.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
If john can take characters with him with his retcon powers, then I want him to have a few dodgy trial-runs where he accidentally brings characters from problem sleuth with him into homestuck, takes nic cage out of con air, pulls a few of caliborn's lovely anime characters out of his sketches, and etc

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rooreelooo posted:

If john can take characters with him with his retcon powers, then I want him to have a few dodgy trial-runs where he accidentally brings characters from problem sleuth with him into homestuck, takes nic cage out of con air, pulls a few of caliborn's lovely anime characters out of his sketches, and etc

hmm maybe this is how Lord English comes to be.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bobulus posted:

Meenah did call them rumble spheres I think. So you can make up your own dumb jokes there.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thinking about it, I'm laying odds on the 'fix' being John preventing Caliborn from ever filling the cartridge with sparkles in the first place.

Then the story restarts from the first corrupted flash, only it's not corrupted.

This would do several things:

- That flash aborted early, so there might be some more Batterwitch scheming that we previously didn't know about.
- John and co apparently had a big reunion on Jake's planet that no one but John remembers. We could finally see that.
- Removing the static would also allow several important conversations, like Dave and Dirk.

End result: John has not negated any consequences, but basically facilitated communication. The group works together better, and so don't gently caress up so badly in the big showdown. It allows John to do something without making him too over powered.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Bobulus posted:

End result: John has not negated any consequences, but basically facilitated communication.

That does fit in nicely with his status as Heir of Breath, doesn't it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't understand why John can't just blow away all the glitches, though. He summoned a planet drilling tornado and blew out a fire that covered an entire planet. I mean he could at least try rather than just going "Eh, I'd do it but there's just so much of it and it seems like such a hassle...". I was mostly exaggerating for comedic effect before but now I'm serious that John's complete lack of initiative is really old now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Who What Now posted:

I don't understand why John can't just blow away all the glitches, though. He summoned a planet drilling tornado and blew out a fire that covered an entire planet. I mean he could at least try rather than just going "Eh, I'd do it but there's just so much of it and it seems like such a hassle...". I was mostly exaggerating for comedic effect before but now I'm serious that John's complete lack of initiative is really old now.

There's enough glitch dust to cover several planets now, and is saturated throughout the rest of the incipisphere, so John probably isn't wrong about there being more than he can handle.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Still, it'd be nice of him to try and save Dirk from his own apathy.

Then again, if he had we probably wouldn't have gotten Terezi's headbut, so I guess it's for the best.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

WAR FOOT posted:

If Hussie can somehow retcon life-ending events, he'll have to lose the power eventually. Otherwise the risk factor will be gone. Right? RIGHT?!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

If John can somehow retcon events, he'll have to lose the power eventually. Otherwise the risk factor will be gone.

Nah, something will manifest that ups the ante and makes John's new power look like fishsticks.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
So I haven't read Homestuck in like two years (last flash I remember is Hussie proposing to Vriska in a desert (of horses? hard to remember)). Has it been good since then and how many hours of flashgames will I have to play to catch up?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i imagine a flash would be more "john trying to fix things and not succeeding through an undefined number of timelines before finally managing to pull together something that sorta works" kind of thing rather than just acing it first try,

but i like pain so

oh man, that's perfect enough to work. It could even have some sort of goofy montage music to kill the seriousness like Hussie usually does.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Scrree posted:

So I haven't read Homestuck in like two years (last flash I remember is Hussie proposing to Vriska in a desert (of horses? hard to remember)). Has it been good since then and how many hours of flashgames will I have to play to catch up?

There've been moments of brilliance, and the gaps between them will probably hurt less for you catching up in the archive. Just know that like always, every plan the heroes make will fail in the most spectacular and annoying ways. I think we're down to what, six protagonists "alive" out of a cast of over 140.

E: here's where you left off

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Scrree posted:

Homestuck has been pretty bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Scrree posted:

I've enjoyed it for the most part. Also, two of the best characters get introduced in that two year period so you'll have something to look forward to.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've enjoyed it for the most part. Also, two of the best characters get introduced in that two year period so you'll have something to look forward to.

Roxy and Dream Roxy??

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TriffTshngo posted:

Roxy and Dream Roxy??

Dream Roxy is Meenah right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roxy is cool but she's not Meenah or Caliborn, pretty close though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's enough glitch dust to cover several planets now, and is saturated throughout the rest of the incipisphere, so John probably isn't wrong about there being more than he can handle.

I think it was more that John's wind powers don't make the glitches vanish, they just blow them away. They go somewhere, and at this point there's so many glitches that moving some around probably won't help all that much.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arsenic Lupin posted:

DOOF! them all, Terezi.
I decided to animate it

(hope this isn't against thread rules)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

(hope this isn't against thread rules)

It is, you're banned now.