Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Otherwise Unrelated Poster Six-Pack!

Good poster, terrible movie. AKA the Stephen King Effect.

Adrienne Barbeau is sick of your poo poo.

"I can see through time!"

Worst Pun of the week. Month. Decade.

France re-titles THEY LIVE, somehow makes an equally good poster.

It's hilarifyingly craptastic!

Call off the search, I may have discovered the greatest poster ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

Look at this guy. What a prick.

The font reminds me of the BATTLE ROYALE poster, so I'm optimistic he gets killed off halfway through the flick....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that I knew who that was when I saw the picture.

I don't get what he, or any of his vine buddies have done to deserve fame. Give King Bach a movie. He tries, and often succeeds.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Distorted Kiwi posted:

It's hilarifyingly craptastic!

Thunderfist looks so loving...happy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love the Mangler. The monster is literally bolted to the floor for 90% of the movie, so the script has to keep finding reasons for people to lean over or stick their hands into it.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The Mangler owns and I even remember thinking The Mangler Reborn was pretty entertaining. I never saw The Mangler 2 but I looked it up and apparently it's about a computer virus? :laffo:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love the Mangler. The monster is literally bolted to the floor for 90% of the movie, so the script has to keep finding reasons for people to lean over or stick their hands into it.

This reminds me of The Shaft, the elevator horror movie with Naomi Watts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

heh

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

He's a bad mutha...

(Shut your mouth!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8sSfaBhIk0

Nothing Freudian here..

Nope, you're imagining it.

Seriously...

Yeah, way to gently caress it up, France.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw The Mangler exactly once, at a friend's house a few years ago while I was half-asleep. It felt like a weird nightmare. I almost never hear anybody talk about that movie, so that usually just helps reinforce that it actually was a nightmare of mine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I like the story concept where an infinite number of monkeys will eventually summon Satan, but that's really all there was to the short story. I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple of minutes of the movie and I haven't heard anything that makes me think there's anything more to it.

Also, Nun of That is the greatest title for anything, ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Random Stranger posted:

I like the story concept where an infinite number of monkeys will eventually summon Satan, but that's really all there was to the short story. I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple of minutes of the movie and I haven't heard anything that makes me think there's anything more to it.

The short story is freakin' badass.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The short story is freakin' badass.

Seriously. Whoops, our laundry press has become a conduit for Satan/Cthulhu because thanks to a one-in-a-billion freak coincidence the ingredients of a summoning spell were scattered in people's pockets when we did their laundry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Distorted Kiwi posted:

France re-titles THEY LIVE, somehow makes an equally good poster.

That's literally the Assault On Precinct 13 poster with the skullfaced alien head added behind in the fire cloud...

The Italian poster somehow has Chuck Norris...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw The Mangler exactly once, at a friend's house a few years ago while I was half-asleep. It felt like a weird nightmare. I almost never hear anybody talk about that movie, so that usually just helps reinforce that it actually was a nightmare of mine.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this movie too. I saw it wide awake, and it's pretty loving weird. I don't think in a good way. But I will say, Robert Englund's death scene is loving horrifying to me, and I don't know why. It's the only gore scene that actually makes me feel uneasy. Maybe it's the way he sells it? The effects aren't even that great...so I might just go with the idea that getting your legs folded 4 times is horrible and freaks me out. :ohdear:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

The tagline is somehow even better.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

And to add puns to injury...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Where did the legend of "Stephen King short stories make bad movies" come from anyway? There's the Mangler yeah, and there was a miniseries on The Langoliers that was pretty laughable. But Storm of the Century was passable-to-good and Kubrick's Shining is fantastic.

Is it just because he hands out the rights to his stuff to film students on the cheap? That isn't really his fault and is pretty laudable besides.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pierson posted:

Where did the legend of "Stephen King short stories make bad movies" come from anyway? There's the Mangler yeah, and there was a miniseries on The Langoliers that was pretty laughable. But Storm of the Century was passable-to-good and Kubrick's Shining is fantastic.

Is it just because he hands out the rights to his stuff to film students on the cheap? That isn't really his fault and is pretty laudable besides.

The Shining can only be considered short in comparison to The Stand.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What about Shawshank?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pierson posted:

Kubrick's Shining is fantastic.
Unless you ask King, apparently.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pierson posted:

I think it's his 80s fare of X is possessed by a demon. Whether it be a car, dog, lawnmower, mangler, trucks or whatever it got a bit cheesy.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

I think a lot of the problem is, when everything you write that's longer than a grocery list gets made into a film, you'll always have a few stinkers people remember.

Frankly, I think he's batting at least .500 on his adaptations. The good ones are uusally VERY good, but for every SHAWSHANK or STAND BY ME, theres a

or a

This one I used to dig, although it's been years since I watched it

This is still pretty fun

I never made it through this, or went back to try again.

This one? Never ran across it.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Behead those who insult Maximum Overdrive

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

This one? Never ran across it.

I remember enjoying The Night Flier. But I was like 12 and it has Miguel Ferrer in it so it's automatically hard to hate.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

TetsuoTW posted:

Unless you ask King, apparently.
Yeah I know the story but I've never seen the miniseries he made to counteract it. Apparently it's pretty bad.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A lot of King's short stories that get adapted are pretty good in and of themselves but they tend to a single idea of scene that simply can't support a full-length movie so they get blown up and distorted and the movie either feels padded as hell or bears little resemblance to the story.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Time Dissolver posted:

Behead those who insult Maximum Overdrive

That movie lost me when the car with the gun showed up. The car is moving the gun around and shooting it, but you can see it's just a gun on a pole. there's no mechanism that would allow the car to move the gun, it's just on a joint. That gun can't me moved or fired unless an outside physical force pushed it around and pulled the trigger. There's no wires leading to it, how is the car moving the gun around and firing it? If there was that pole with a gun on it mounted to my back, I wouldn't be able to aim it and fire it like it was just another limb.

Didn't make any loving sense

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

That movie lost me when the car with the gun showed up. The car is moving the gun around and shooting it, but you can see it's just a gun on a pole. there's no mechanism that would allow the car to move the gun, it's just on a joint. That gun can't me moved or fired unless an outside physical force pushed it around and pulled the trigger. There's no wires leading to it, how is the car moving the gun around and firing it? If there was that pole with a gun on it mounted to my back, I wouldn't be able to aim it and fire it like it was just another limb.

It's a magic car.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

That's where that movie lost you?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A sentient ATM calling a customer an rear end in a top hat?

Well, I never!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's where that movie lost you?

I don't know how cars work. If you told me that cars could go underwater if you remove the radiator, I wouldn't believe you, but only because it doesn't sound true, not because I have any actual information that would lead me to believe otherwise.

But I could just look at the gun and tell there was no physical way for the car itself to manipulate it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know how cars work. If you told me that cars could go underwater if you remove the radiator, I wouldn't believe you, but only because it doesn't sound true, not because I have any actual information that would lead me to believe otherwise.

But I could just look at the gun and tell there was no physical way for the car itself to manipulate it.

how did you feel about this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

or this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at3OiAvUjH4

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I've seen this kind of thinking before and the result was Fallout Equistria. Turn back before it's too late and you start writing Cars/Road Warrior fanfics longer than War & Peace.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I always get Maximum Overdrive and Duel mixed up, it's a heavy burden

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Okay, but Lawnmower Man really doesn't count. The story is about a dude that mows your lawn by eating the grass naked and then kills you. I mean, it's entirely unrelated except the movie is about a guy who at one point does have a lawnmower.

It's like if Game of Thrones the show was a modern police procedural about a guy who plays chess occasionally and calls it "thrones."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

Storm of the Century was actually written and published as a screenplay, I guess King figured he may as well do something in every format now that he'd done every genre.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The 20 Children of the Corn movies and the Sometimes They Come Back Again Too series do a lot to hurt his batting average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Dark Tower is going to be an interesting adaptation not because it's complicated (it's not, he doesn't do a whole lot of world building, he just likes to show a lot of weird poo poo), but because they'll likely completely change the events of the last three books. I was just rereading them, and wow, those last three are just absolutely ridiculous, and that eraser at the very end there is the most anticlimactic poo poo I've ever seen.