Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, @midnight's audience doesn't seem like the type of people who would be receptive to Artie's brand of comedy. They basically want smirking people to say things they agree with so they can mindlessly cheer every line because that's what "comedy" is nowadays.

Plus, loving Chris Hardwick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

They basically want smirking people to say things they agree with so they can mindlessly cheer every line because that's what "comedy" is nowadays.

Thank you for this. This is exactly how I feel about Jon Stewart/John Oliver, and I'll be repurposing this for future conversations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Smeep posted:

Thank you for this. This is exactly how I feel about Jon Stewart/John Oliver, and I'll be repurposing this for future conversations.

Thank God I am not alone!

Chris Hardwick is loving painful. I tried that Nerdist podcast for a month and it was pure torture.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Snark posted:

This is the same network that hired Rush loving Limbaugh and then acted surprised when he went off on how the liberal media overhypes black quarterbacks.

I remember the commercials what played the soundbyte of Rush saying be he wasn't going to say what everyone wanted to hear :laffo:

ESPN has sucked for a long time. Ask Rich Eisen.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Smirking and saying things that people agree with is basically what all comedy is. Finding a commmon thread that an audience will respond to. I dunno, I always think it's weak when an older comedian blames his lack of popularity on people suddenly being too sensitive or something. The world keeps moving. If you can't or won't keep up, you'll have a harder and harder time finding that common thread. There's certainly an audience for old school jokes about women drivers and AIDS and homos, but it probably won't be in that sweet 18-35 demo, and network execs won't be knocking down your door. It's not some PC-police conspiracy. It's falling into that Sal Governale mindset of "HELLO YOOHOO this is what we're all secretly thinking" when in reality a lot of people don't actually think like that.

I hate the recent trend of podcast smuggery, but that's probably because I'm getting old. I'll have the halibut.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Snark posted:

Smirking and saying things that people agree with is basically what all comedy is. Finding a commmon thread that an audience will respond to. I dunno, I always think it's weak when an older comedian blames his lack of popularity on people suddenly being too sensitive or something. The world keeps moving. If you can't or won't keep up, you'll have a harder and harder time finding that common thread. There's certainly an audience for old school jokes about women drivers and AIDS and homos, but it probably won't be in that sweet 18-35 demo, and network execs won't be knocking down your door. It's not some PC-police conspiracy. It's falling into that Sal Governale mindset of "HELLO YOOHOO this is what we're all secretly thinking" when in reality a lot of people don't actually think like that.

I hate the recent trend of podcast smuggery, but that's probably because I'm getting old. I'll have the halibut.

I think what he's saying is a lot of comedy has basically become observational pandering where audiences filter comedians based on their content being agreeable to their outlook in life. Like there's a difference between Eddie Murphy doing Raw and "insert generic comedian designed to appeal to 22-38yo white people with disposable income and liberal political leanings".

It's not relevant to me re: Artie, though.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Smeep posted:

I've soured a lot on Jon Stewart over the last couple years, but John Oliver's show is really good. They do some legit investigative journalism, and the comic material is much better.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I'm sorry your warehouse experience sucked.

Yeah guys, if your job site isn't full of racist jokes, you aren't livin'.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snark posted:

Smirking and saying things that people agree with is basically what all comedy is.

You are insanely wrong my man

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If the only entertainment you enjoy is entertainment that agrees with your views all that means is you have poo poo taste.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
In general the world needs to pump their outrage brakes. Here what Artie said was stupid, not funny, and offensive, but whatever, it was just some stupid tweets. There is an entire subset of journalism that exists to get outraged at the tiniest bullshit, and from there it is a race to twitter and facebook for everyone to announce they too are outraged. The example that first made me realize how ridiculous the outrage industrial complex is was that PR rep tweeting something like "Heading to Africa, I hope I don't get aids...wait I'm white"* (on her private account) before getting on a plane. By the time she landed the outrage industrial complex was in full force, it was the front page of Gawker, CNN, etc. and she was a national villain, fired from her job, etc. for a stupid tweet that normally 19 people would have read. She just lost the "Who will get targeted today" diceroll and her life was ruined so Gawker and TMZ could rack up some pagehits.

I try really hard to ignore the outrage of the day, week, month etc. It is the same as the ebola panic. Everyone acts like it is a big deal, but no one is going to get it. Remember swine flu? H1N1? MRSA? Think about Gamegate.I don't even know what it is but I bet there are thousands of people who spend 3 hours a day reading and talking about the scandal (story?) and in 3 months no one will give a poo poo. I see articles about it every day but refuse to click one. Who gives a poo poo? It won't matter in 2 months.

*something like that

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
You just described Jezebel and most of the rest of the Gawker network. But especially Jezebel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I thought that was a Joan Rivers tweet?

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Hat Thoughts posted:

If the only entertainment you enjoy is entertainment that agrees with your views all that means is you have poo poo taste.
Dude, we're talking Artie caliber comedy here. He ain't Marcel Duchamp, homes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ribsauce posted:

In general the world needs to pump their outrage brakes. Here what Artie said was stupid, not funny, and offensive, but whatever, it was just some stupid tweets. There is an entire subset of journalism that exists to get outraged at the tiniest bullshit, and from there it is a race to twitter and facebook for everyone to announce they too are outraged. The example that first made me realize how ridiculous the outrage industrial complex is was that PR rep tweeting something like "Heading to Africa, I hope I don't get aids...wait I'm white"* (on her private account) before getting on a plane. By the time she landed the outrage industrial complex was in full force, it was the front page of Gawker, CNN, etc. and she was a national villain, fired from her job, etc. for a stupid tweet that normally 19 people would have read. She just lost the "Who will get targeted today" diceroll and her life was ruined so Gawker and TMZ could rack up some pagehits.

I try really hard to ignore the outrage of the day, week, month etc. It is the same as the ebola panic. Everyone acts like it is a big deal, but no one is going to get it. Remember swine flu? H1N1? MRSA? Think about Gamegate.I don't even know what it is but I bet there are thousands of people who spend 3 hours a day reading and talking about the scandal (story?) and in 3 months no one will give a poo poo. I see articles about it every day but refuse to click one. Who gives a poo poo? It won't matter in 2 months.

*something like that

I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I think it's valuable and worthwhile to give people trouble for being dicks. But it definitely seems to go too far plenty of the time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I assume this is from the Channel 9 show. Howard interviewing Zsa Zsa Gabor while dressed as Johnny Carson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPbL_P7R9EE

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think the SFN conspiracy people have gotten to me, cos now they have me convinced this was a calculated move on Artie's part to promote his podcast that's coming out soon.

Artie has always been smart about not saying stupid poo poo on social media in the past and you think he would be more careful after the stuff that's happened to Gilbert. Barring him losing his mind to drugs and alcohol again (which is admittedly a strong possibility) the comments do seem to illicit the right amount of 'I'm a comedian I get to say poo poo like this and the liberal media are trying to keep me down' response.

Then again he must be on drugs if he thinks anyone is paying $8 an episode for a podcast.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

prefect posted:

I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I think it's valuable and worthwhile to give people trouble for being dicks. But it definitely seems to go too far plenty of the time.
I hear that. I've been to tumblr. And ESPN hilariously overreacted to a poo poo comedian's half-assed joke in order to put on a show to act like they are champions of race and gender equality. Meanwhile if Artie could bring in Duck Dynasty money, they'd find another spin and keep their options open. On the other hand, outrage isn't a new thing. I guarantee you there was plenty of outrage when Eddie Murphy talked about faggots always trying to suck his dick. But nobody heard it. Now people who get outraged have a platform to do it from. And they have enough economic power that corporations will listen. So it may seem like there's suddenly a huge number of people who are offended, but the number hasn't really changed. They just have a voice now.

Look, if the audience isn't laughing at you, it could be because you are massively brilliant and you're dropping truth bombs so edgy that squares just can't handle it. But that also happens when you're not funny. Guess which possibility makes comedians feel better.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Artie has always been smart about not saying stupid poo poo on social media in the past and you think he would be more careful after the stuff that's happened to Gilbert.
"I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan, I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families."

*Gilbert laugh*

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It is terrible that saying the wrong thing can ruin your life, but your life has to basically be saying things for a living for that to happen, so double edge sword and all. I could listen to Gilbert drive off a cliff all day, he's amazing and I hope he never stops pushing. Artie just kind of kool-aid mans through things however, so while it should be clear he was joking and that shouldn't make people insane with outrage, you need to anger people somewhat to make them laugh and he should be better at knowing where that line is.

Free Artie, Free Gilbert!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Snark posted:

I guarantee you there was plenty of outrage when Eddie Murphy talked about faggots always trying to suck his dick. But nobody heard it. Now people who get outraged have a platform to do it from. And they have enough economic power that corporations will listen. So it may seem like there's suddenly a huge number of people who are offended, but the number hasn't really changed.

Sorry, you are wrong. The numbers have changed dramatically. "Ew, keep the icky faggots away from me!" was literally the prevailing popular opinion of the time. Sure it was shocking to hear him talk about it that way, but you would have had to go to a gay bar to find someone who would actually disagree with that opinion.

Don't forget that most states still had anti-sodomy laws then, and many of them actually enforced them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think the SFN conspiracy people have gotten to me, cos now they have me convinced this was a calculated move on Artie's part to promote his podcast that's coming out soon.

Artie has always been smart about not saying stupid poo poo on social media in the past and you think he would be more careful after the stuff that's happened to Gilbert. Barring him losing his mind to drugs and alcohol again (which is admittedly a strong possibility) the comments do seem to illicit the right amount of 'I'm a comedian I get to say poo poo like this and the liberal media are trying to keep me down' response.

Then again he must be on drugs if he thinks anyone is paying $8 an episode for a podcast.

I've never been to SFN but this is what I assumed. His podcast is making his debut in a few weeks. Artie's trying to get people talking about him. I think that's obvious.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Eb posted:

Funny to anyone, or funny to you?

Sucks that he kinda apologized, but at least he didn't delete the tweets.
Good question, that's the risk you always take when you decide to be "edgy" with your humor. (The answer of course is "funny to ME".)

I am not easily offended. Gilbert can be horribly racist and I think he's hilarious, but these tweets just came across as mean-spirited and - in my humble opinion - very unfunny.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
HAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo I totally forgot about this: the once-used intro theme to King Of All Blacks as a guest appearance. I cannot believe I don't remember this, I laughed way too hard at this.

http://youtu.be/eJe7Gp2iMtI?t=5h31m15s

Cliche Guevara fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 9, 2014

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snark posted:

Smirking and saying things that people agree with is basically what all comedy is.

That's the shittiest kind of comedy

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

DeadBonesBrook posted:

That's about what people pay for Howard these days.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Artie confirms he's banned from the Stern show: https://twitter.com/artiequitter/status/531585171011940352

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
The replies are pretty good

@artiequitter Drown your sorrows in capicolla and eggs, not heroin.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Sal announced that Artie isn't allowed on his youtube cooking show either

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Sal announced that Artie isn't allowed on his youtube cooking show either

That's hilarious.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Cliche Guevara posted:

HAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo I totally forgot about this: the once-used intro theme to King Of All Blacks as a guest appearance. I cannot believe I don't remember this, I laughed way too hard at this.

http://youtu.be/eJe7Gp2iMtI?t=5h31m15s

King of all Blacks compilations? I know what I am listening to the next month at work.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
If you're a true fan, you have to subscribe to Todd Packer's channel. He's a god at these.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
holy poo poo the joe buck train wreck, cut to 7:30 where Artie drops a cigarrete into Rudd's cup and it is cringeworthy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj8y2Oi1lFk

holy loving poo poo part 2 is bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1p8kuaDaw

MVP fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 10, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo Howard, smelling a little electrical contact cleaner is NOT going to give you "cancer".

Does Howard have any idea how random most cancers are?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cliche Guevara posted:

If you're a true fan, you have to subscribe to Todd Packer's channel. He's a god at these.

Why is youtube's interface so bad.

Why is it impossible to list all videos posted by a user in chronological order.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

euphronius posted:

Why is youtube's interface so bad.

Why is it impossible to list all videos posted by a user in chronological order.

Click on the tab to pick from Newest-Oldest or Oldest-Newest.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

There's like 30 hours of Riley Martin and I'm about 10 hours in and oh do I love that man. He's a phenomenal combination of bullshit, jealousy, and chill.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wh-what time does the parad-*click*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Wh-what time does the parad-*click*

"Dang barometric pres-..." <click>

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Dang barometric pres-..." <click>

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Parumpapumpum! Its the most wonder ti [click]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Well, you haven't even heard what the second item is. You see, it's an item..."

Edit: this thread really should be PYF Howard Stern prank calls.

"I am founder and member of No Gravity band."