Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whoaaa I just got the new look. Looks really good. Not sure I like the refresh ball thing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The page transformations seem pretty crashy. I tried out the foreground to background and it crashed after a few swipes (I sent a report), then tried the tablet with the same results.

Edit: Even happens with "none" as the transformation type.

hooah fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 9, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hooah posted:

The page transformations seem pretty crashy. I tried out the foreground to background and it crashed after a few swipes (I sent a report), then tried the tablet with the same results.

Same here, running on a Nexus 7 it crashes on left/right swipes. Seems to crash more with the animations but it does still crash with 'none' set.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

Whoaaa I just got the new look. Looks really good. Not sure I like the refresh ball thing though
I wanted to drop the old P2R library and decided to go with the google one. I expected the one from Google now but apparently they changed it with Lollipop and it's now the one from the new Gmail.

hooah posted:

CrashCat posted:

Same here, running on a Nexus 7 it crashes on left/right swipes. Seems to crash more with the animations but it does still crash with 'none' set.

Ugh. Thats what I get for using an L N5 and an emulator, never crashed for me, not sure where this is coming from. I'll make None actually turn it off instead of using one that just does nothing :downs:

Also I forgot to remove the chrome debugging. Sorry pre-4.4 people :(

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Zero crashes on the Nexus 9, FWIW.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hotsauce posted:

Zero crashes on the Nexus 9, FWIW.

To be fair, the part causing the crashes isn't active on tablets because it doesn't really work on them. It prevents 2 fragments being next to each other and just puts on after the other.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sereri posted:

To be fair, the part causing the crashes isn't active on tablets because it doesn't really work on them. It prevents 2 fragments being next to each other and just puts on after the other.
Is that a layout thing? Cause I'm using a tablet but never use the tablet layout as I'd rather just see more of the thread.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

RIP pull to next/refresh. You will be missed.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hitting the back button with the drawer open doesn't close the drawer and instead does whatever hitting the back button would do if the drawer was closed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Crashing on my stock Motorola Xoom tablet (4.1.2) whenever I click on a thread to read. I have cleared the cache.

You should have three or four crash reports.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
Unless I'm just missing an option somewhere, is there any way the stock thread tags can be toggled back?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also, if you log out and press the back button you go back to the forums list but loading fails if you try to do anything so you have to back all the way out and load the app again so you can log in.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't run into any issues yet but I like the way the drawer turns the lines thing into an arrow, that's neat

e: also it seems a lot faster

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

Haven't run into any issues yet but I like the way the drawer turns the lines thing into an arrow, that's neat

e: also it seems a lot faster

The arrow and the app's task switcher color changing is the only reason I did it :v:

Speed changes have to be attributed to the support library updates...

Submitted an update with 2 fixes, hope that reduces the crashing a bit. If it doesn't, 'None' is now 'Disabled' and actually disables it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Might want to remove the pull to refresh/next settings, since they no longer apply

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How does the play store determine who gets updates?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reverse Centaur posted:

How does the play store determine who gets updates?

Well you only get beta updates if you are part of the Google+ community in the OP. After that I'm not sure how long it takes for an update to be available.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a chance we will be getting back the theme customisations? I like the dark theme but would prefer if it was actually black to save battery.

Also still occasionally getting the black box glitch, usually solved by a force close. Galaxy Nexus on 4.3.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Flagrama posted:

Well you only get beta updates if you are part of the Google+ community in the OP. After that I'm not sure how long it takes for an update to be available.

Just did it, update was immediately available. Thanks

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The update fixed my crashes! Thanks for the superfast turnaround.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shouldn't the side menu go over top of the action bar?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Shouldn't the side menu go over top of the action bar?

Depends which Google app's implementation of Material Design you're mimicking.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a chance we will be getting back the theme customisations? I like the dark theme but would prefer if it was actually black to save battery.

Also still occasionally getting the black box glitch, usually solved by a force close. Galaxy Nexus on 4.3.

You can still customize the thread view via CSS. Just create a folder called "awful" on your storage (or let Awful create it via settings export). Then put the css file there.

As for the black boxes. Have you tried Something? It's also on the play store nowadays. I'd love to hear back for once if the black boxes occur there too.

hooah posted:

Depends which Google app's implementation of Material Design you're mimicking.

True, Gmail has the full sidebar while Google play goes with sidebar over the viewpager. Since that is what we were already using I used that. It's possibly why the back button doesn't close the drawer anymore so maybe it'll happen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

As for the black boxes. Have you tried Something? It's also on the play store nowadays. I'd love to hear back for once if the black boxes occur there too.
I've never seen them on Something but if I'm remembering correctly it has to do with using older versions of Android so I guess I wouldn't.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I joined the google plus community a few days ago, but I still haven't autoupdated to the beta, can I just sideload the apk and play store won't freak out?

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

I think technically if you follow the material guidelines it should be covering everything. I really doubt google will fix their apps that don't follow that though.

http://www.google.com/design/spec/patterns/navigation-drawer.html

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

You can still customize the thread view via CSS. Just create a folder called "awful" on your storage (or let Awful create it via settings export). Then put the css file there.

True, Gmail has the full sidebar while Google play goes with sidebar over the viewpager. Since that is what we were already using I used that. It's possibly why the back button doesn't close the drawer anymore so maybe it'll happen.

I don't know anything about CSS. Does it export the current theme? I could use that to start.

I'll try Something, no issues with using both apps?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I joined the google plus community a few days ago, but I still haven't autoupdated to the beta, can I just sideload the apk and play store won't freak out?

I'm having the same issue, the version I see on the store and on my devices is 3.1.2. I checked the dropbox link on the first page, but it looks like it's version 3.1.1.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

pairofdimes posted:

I'm having the same issue, the version I see on the store and on my devices is 3.1.2. I checked the dropbox link on the first page, but it looks like it's version 3.1.1.

OP posted:

I like to live dangerously, give me the latest stuff
To get beta versions you have to join the new Awful for Android Google+ community and follow the beta membership link there. This will automatically update your market version to beta versions as they become available.

Note that you HAVE to be in the community to get access to the beta and you will(/should) lose access if you leave the community.

Red_Fred posted:

I don't know anything about CSS. Does it export the current theme? I could use that to start.

I'll try Something, no issues with using both apps?

I've been meaning to write a CSS guide for ages. I'll try to whip something up on the weekend. Try starting with this

Also I have Something installed and no problems, though I only use it occasionally (when I break Awful too much)

Sereri fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Awful.apk dropped support for 2.1 devices long, long ago, right? I was thinking about rooting my ereader...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

Awful.apk dropped support for 2.1 devices long, long ago, right? I was thinking about rooting my ereader...

There's still Awful Legacy which supports 2.1. Not the newest version though.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sereri posted:

(link to g+ community)

I tried joining and rejoining the community as well as reinstalling the app but I didn't have any luck, which is why I asked.

Edit: my mistake, joining the beta with this link worked.

pairofdimes fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 12, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pairofdimes posted:

I tried joining and rejoining the community as well as reinstalling the app but I didn't have any luck, which is why I asked.

I didn't post a link to the g+ community.

/e: hurray

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

I've been meaning to write a CSS guide for ages. I'll try to whip something up on the weekend. Try starting with this

Also I have Something installed and no problems, though I only use it occasionally (when I break Awful too much)

Thanks. Used the dark theme as my start. Only issue I am having is that I can't find the line to change the bookmark and post backgrounds. I want them black but they are in the default theme.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I apologize if this has been covered before but is it possible to get image uploads built in to awful? The iOS version had the capability and it was real convenient. Is there a technical limitation or obstacle for implementation in android? Great app regardless, thanks!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

TraderStav posted:

I apologize if this has been covered before but is it possible to get image uploads built in to awful? The iOS version had the capability and it was real convenient. Is there a technical limitation or obstacle for implementation in android? Great app regardless, thanks!

We support attachment uploads, no image upload to imgur. The imgur app does that though :v:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
If it's themetalk again, I'm still using this theme, but I don't think I ever got spoilers working correctly either.

If there's a wizard somewhere, maybe they could.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I've got a version of the Arc.dark.css theme that I've modified to have working spoilers, at least on my phone (Moto X 2014): Try this out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jaydee864 posted:

I've got a version of the Arc.dark.css theme that I've modified to have working spoilers, at least on my phone (Moto X 2014): Try this out.

This is so close. Everything looks the way I want, but every few avatar pics are wonky and big.

spoiler test

Edit: spoilers work. Just the picture issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

This is so close. Everything looks the way I want, but every few avatar pics are wonky and big.

spoiler test

Edit: spoilers work. Just the picture issue.

Try this one