Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jewmanji posted:

Is it true that the climactic battle at the end of The Two Towers was like one paragraph in the book?

If I recall, it was like a couple of very dull pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Is it true that the climactic battle at the end of The Two Towers was like one paragraph in the book?

Well, in the book version of The Hobbit the actual battle of the five armies takes place entirely "off screen." Bilbo gets knocked out at the very beginning and by the time he wakes up it's basically over.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yawn...until the end of time

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Can someone walk up to Peter Jackson with a rolled up nose paper and smack him on the nose while going "No. Bad." repeatedly?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Can someone walk up to Peter Jackson with a rolled up nose paper and smack him on the nose while going "No. Bad." repeatedly?

The problem is that since the first LOTR film knocked it out of the park there isn't anyone who can/will do this. He's made so much money he pretty much has free reign to do whatever he wants and everyone in his circle is drinking the Kool-Aid.

E.g. King Kong. Motherfucker green lit something like 100 VFX shots ONE MONTH before theatrical release. Sure Pete, no problem! They'll look like poo poo, we'll do the sound mix without seeing the finished product, and we'll have to splice the finals into the wet neg at the last minute before printing. It will be amazing!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Someone could try that but they'd probably have to get past the giant moat full of money first to get to him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing is, I could make a 3.5 star movie out of King Kong by cutting a half hour. That wouldn't save The Hobbit.

Did I say that out loud? (Haven't seen the third one.)

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byk9Is3TjY

Into The Woods trailer with actual singing! I'm losing my "this is gonna suck" factor on this movie, which is scaring me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

The thing is, I could make a 3.5 star movie out of King Kong by cutting a half hour. That wouldn't save The Hobbit.

Did I say that out loud? (Haven't seen the third one.)

There has to be a good 2 hour movie buried under the Hobbit trilogy somewhere

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve Yun posted:

There has to be a good 2 hour movie buried under the Hobbit trilogy somewhere

The first movie's actually fairly good as a standalone film (maybe cut out some stone giant scenery). You could make two ~2.5 hour films probably pretty easily.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Into The Woods trailer with actual singing! I'm losing my "this is gonna suck" factor on this movie, which is scaring me.

Mild spoiler

I love that the trailer is cut in half with a merry, cheery fantastical first half and a "holy poo poo, that got dark in a hurry" second half, just like the musical itself.

I'm real excited.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
We all knew the final movie was going to be a big battle the instant we heard the story was going to be 3 movies

just embrace it. At least it'll end this time and resolve things unlike of the pointless middle movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Mild spoiler

I love that the trailer is cut in half with a merry, cheery fantastical first half and a "holy poo poo, that got dark in a hurry" second half, just like the musical itself.

I'm real excited.

No offense but that looks as dark as Nilla wafers.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I will pretty much see anything Anna Kendrick is in. And nothing will ever be as bad as the Twilight movies, so this looks great!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

drat it, I don't want to like this, but Meryl Streep's drawing me in like a haggy syren.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

people have really gotta learn to stop seeing dogshit just because Meryl Streep's in it

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

No offense but that looks as dark as Nilla wafers.

No offense taken, and yeah I was probably being a bit loose with my terminology with regards to the actual trailer, but believe me when I say the story of Into The Woods gets pretty god drat grim at points.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I am so excited for Birdman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vueAC31glPQ

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

Can anybody think of a trailer in like the last five years that had butt shots in it? Male or Female, even if partially covered.

I'm pushing back on the MPAA who is being ridiculous. I'm wondering if Neighbors or some other comedy had something like that.

There's this Kristen Stewart movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stBX1OpcfYg

About 1:02

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6t7vVTxaic

Selma, the upcoming MLK Jr biopic looks pretty darn good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Movie looks good, but that trailer blows.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

second-hand smegma posted:

Movie looks good, but that trailer blows.

Agreed. The music choice was a really strange one.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The comeback of Cuba Gooding Jr.? Looks promising!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Movie looks awesome and music choice was awesome. I'm happy there is a MLK film that isn't just "I have a dream" and is actually about civil disobedience.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

tehsid posted:

Agreed. The music choice was a really strange one.

I really liked the music choice, it fit the context of the bravery of civil disobedience in the face of real danger way better than the usual sweeping piano or melancholy orchestral score would've.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^ I mean, sure, just a tad bit anachronistic though?

Arthe Xavier posted:

The comeback of Cuba Gooding Jr.? Looks promising!

Didn't see him anywhere, pretty sure he's a producer or something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's a shot of him 2:17 in.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So? I would love to see a movie where Martin Luther King Jr. blasts Fight the Power on his way into Selma, and I bet I'm not alone.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

So? It fits and works really loving well with the theme of the movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm happy there is a MLK film that isn't just "I have a dream" and is actually about civil disobedience.

Doesn't his family still own the copyright to that speech?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

There's a shot of him 2:17 in.

Haha, literally half a second of him, but yeah I checked and Winfrey is producing but Cuba is not. Did he gently caress with Hollywood or something, because he used to be fairly prominent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think it was that once he got his Oscar he stopped giving a gently caress about Quality Control for a while and by the time he got worried and tried to rebound it was too late (and he chose poor projects on top of the low opportunities), so he was relegated to the schlock factories.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The Hobbit is kind of work for hire which got stretched at least one extra movie due to studio issues.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

The Hobbit is kind of work for hire which got stretched at least one extra movie due to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Oh, hello, all the Oscars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh, hello, all the Oscars.

I don't know, it could turn into that Jackie Robinson film, although right now it looks very Lincoln esque (especially with focusing around one key moment).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just feel like I should mention here how helpful photobucket is with there generic suggestions for cards, etc:

OK, back to trailers and TV spots.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, that's my christmas cards sorted.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
This trailer played before Interstellar in theatres and I noticed the girl's rear end was much more covered than this version.

"Cut! OK, now change your panties and we'll re-shoot for the PG trailer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ayem posted:

This trailer played before Interstellar in theatres and I noticed the girl's rear end was much more covered than this version.

"Cut! OK, now change your panties and we'll re-shoot for the PG trailer"

You know, it was probably some guy's job to increase the underwear coverage in post.

• Locked thread