Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

V. Illych L. posted:

Also Sleipnir's mother. Loki is, uh, a bit weird.

When you shapeshift into a mare in heat for the purpose of luring away a stallion, poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

my dad posted:

When you shapeshift into a mare in heat for the purpose of luring away a stallion, poo poo happens.

If he didn't want to get pregnant he shouldn't have shapeshifted that way.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Olanphonia posted:

If he didn't want to get pregnant he shouldn't have shapeshifted that way.

Neigh means nay.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear I read a comic somewhere where the horse can talk and keeps insisting on calling Loki "mommy," to his embarassment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Speedball posted:

I swear I read a comic somewhere where the horse can talk and keeps insisting on calling Loki "mommy," to his embarassment.

Something Valkyrie Yuki. It was godawful.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just assume he used divination to make sure there were no sufficient clerics in the city. Good way to further dupe Roy.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

He's been Dominated a few times lately and forced to do things harmful to himself. He doesn't need to be smart to recognise that pattern and try to keep it from happening again.

I wonder if Belkar didn't get a tiny wisdom bonus some time after his hallucination team player speech from Shojo. Like, not enough to be a decent spellcaster because that would just blow everyone's mind, but just the gap he needed to understand the sociology metagame, distrust Durkon, and ignore all written words following "I prepared."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do rangers get any healing spells? He'll use one of those on Durkon to hurt him and then die as he couldn't cast it on himself. :frog:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anatharon posted:

Do rangers get any healing spells? He'll use one of those on Durkon to hurt him and then die as he couldn't cast it on himself. :frog:

He's too dumb to cast spells at all.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

He's too dumb to cast spells at all.

Too lacking in Wisdom. :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does anyone know what the feats that boost SR that Zz'dtri mentions are? I was searching for similar feats for a different reason and was unable to come up with any non-epic feat.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

wdarkk posted:

Does anyone know what the feats that boost SR that Zz'dtri mentions are? I was searching for similar feats for a different reason and was unable to come up with any non-epic feat.

It may be something from a third party splat book like Elan's prestige class.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He may have taken this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Who What Now posted:

He may have taken this.

That's probably it. Doesn't really help me for my thing but I knew it would be a real feat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I am a consumer whore for rich burlew and just preordered the new compilation. I noticed the 2013 calendar is on sale for $3 if you want some cheap art.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I am a consumer whore for rich burlew and just preordered the new compilation. I noticed the 2013 calendar is on sale for $3 if you want some cheap art.

Accurate again in 2019!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coincidentally when we'll get to the next book!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Current Status of Rich: Okay.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

+1 caster level is one hell of a "subtle increase."

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Can familiars ever learn spells?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shwqa posted:

Can familiars ever learn spells?

I don't think so... I vaguely remember certain kinds of familiars on the Improved Familiar feat and its assorted variants that had spell-like abilities, but not actual levels in spellcasting classes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think if you can polymorph them into something that does have caster levels like a dragon they might get spells.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

It depends. +1 CL at level 3 is a 33% increase, but +1 CL at level 17 is only a 6% increase. Nothing to scoff at but it's not exactly enormous either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Caster level is a roll modifier, no? +1 CL means -1 to opposed saving throws and dispel checks and whatever, at any given level. It'd be a 5% increase at level 17 as much as it would be at level 3.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kajeesus posted:

Caster level is a roll modifier, no? +1 CL means -1 to opposed saving throws and dispel checks and whatever, at any given level. It'd be a 5% increase at level 17 as much as it would be at level 3.

Caster level has no effect on saves. That's all in stats.

Spell resistance, dispels, and any spells that the text varies on caster level.

Edit: And spells lower than 5th level tend to cap out. A fireball at level 10 is the same as at 20.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Caster level also affect the magnitude of spell effects. For example: "The burst of flame deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6)." It increases standard ranges and durations for continuous spells that tend to be "1 <unit of time> per level".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
V's familiar has upstaged the party for about 300 strips now and I'm OK with that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

V's familiar has upstaged the party for about 300 strips now and I'm OK with that.

Sooooo shiny

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Awww, I'd at least tip the shopkeeper for being awesome enough to not only recommend his local competition but also for identifying the magic item and crafting it into something more practical just to make a bird happy.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

TunaSpleen posted:

Awww, I'd at least tip the shopkeeper for being awesome enough to not only recommend his local competition but also for identifying the magic item and crafting it into something more practical just to make a bird happy.

V's still looking for that teleportation magic, and DnD shopkeepers are notorious for not honoring any "Currently Saving the World" discounts.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd say it's fairly subtle since the utility depends on a few different factors. An unsubtle one would be some kind of flat or percentile benefit, an increase in oft-capped, spell-specific, situation-specific scaling is a little more difficult to pin down just by examining the effect. If you're high level, how much is +1 caster level going to do? Some spells would have capped out (Burning Hands caps at like caster level 5 or something), other spells would have no benefit (a bunch of illusion spells don't scale on caster level whatsoever), others would only show a benefit if they were facing some kind of opposed check (Otto's Irresistible Dance against spell resistance or something), etc. A lot of spells would just get a fractional range or duration increase.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I assume the 'as long as you're close enough' loophole Rich wrote in is as good as confirmation that V will desperately need that extra caster level at one point and the bird won't be nearby to give it to him.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'd say it's fairly subtle since the utility depends on a few different factors. An unsubtle one would be some kind of flat or percentile benefit, an increase in oft-capped, spell-specific, situation-specific scaling is a little more difficult to pin down just by examining the effect. If you're high level, how much is +1 caster level going to do? Some spells would have capped out (Burning Hands caps at like caster level 5 or something), other spells would have no benefit (a bunch of illusion spells don't scale on caster level whatsoever), others would only show a benefit if they were facing some kind of opposed check (Otto's Irresistible Dance against spell resistance or something), etc. A lot of spells would just get a fractional range or duration increase.

I'm at work so I can't check, but I feel like back in 2nd Edition and prob. in 1st too, it was a straight "You're a level higher."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoe posted:

I assume the 'as long as you're close enough' loophole Rich wrote in is as good as confirmation that V will desperately need that extra caster level at one point and the bird won't be nearby to give it to him.

That would be a lot more rules-pedantic than Rich bothers being these days. It's a tiny bonus and anything dramatic that relies on it is going to make no sense to anyone who isn't a massive 3.5e rules grog.

It's a payoff of the running gag around V's familiar's fondness for shiny stuff.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I could see a dramatic moment around the tiny contribution of Blackwing helping to overcome someone's Spell Resistance at a critical moment.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Doesn't it also count for your spells per day? You still couldn't get spells above where you actually are, but you'd get more of the ones you can already cast.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm pretty sure +1 CL doesn't increase your spells per day, no.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Allstone posted:

I'm pretty sure +1 CL doesn't increase your spells per day, no.

It does not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

seaborgium posted:

Doesn't it also count for your spells per day? You still couldn't get spells above where you actually are, but you'd get more of the ones you can already cast.

No, you only get extra spells per day if your casting stat is very high. In V's case it's their Intelligence stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: New comic! #968 - Next Week They're Getting Drab