Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More Amiibo bullshit:

quote:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- With the holidays fast approaching and excitement for amiibo growing every day, the popular online delivery service Loot Crate is helping fans receive select amiibo figures after they launch on Nov. 21. By signing up for an "amiibo Subscription Service," subscribers will receive 10 pre-selected amiibo (including Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Fox and Yoshi) separated into three special Loot Crate shipments throughout the holiday season without ever having to leave their homes.

"Featuring compatibility with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors this year, amiibo figures are shaping up to be one of the year's must-have holiday items," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Fans around the country already enjoy Loot Crate's approach to delivering cool new items every month, and now they have a new and convenient way to get their hands on amiibo."

"We are honored to be working with Nintendo - a company that our team loves and respects, and that many of us grew up with," said Chris Davis, Loot Crate's CEO. "The iconic Super Smash Bros. games have brought people together for years, and we're excited to become a part of that story in a new way through our amiibo Subscription Service."

By joining the subscription service, Loot Crate guarantees the 10 pre-selected amiibo, and allows subscribers to avoid the hassle of rushing to retailers to find their favorite characters. In addition to Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Fox and Yoshi, the other five pre-selected characters will be revealed through Loot Crate soon. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors will feature amiibo compatibility this year, with functionality for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10 and more coming in the future.

Nintendo and Loot Crate also have a few additional surprises in store for Super Smash Bros. and amiibo fans, so check back with Loot Crate for further details. For more information about how to participate in the limited-time "amiibo Subscription Service," visit http://www.lootcrate.com/amiibo.

For more information about amiibo, visit http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the complaint? Its not like those are exclusive to loot crate. Maybe some other junk loot crate sends will be exclusive but that's kind of their deal. They send you boxes of crap no one needs and buy ads on podcasts for you to skip through.

Coming soon, the return of Mario Flavored sodas and the super Mario super ceteal , but only through Nature box. With an upcoming system update, print out Nintendo themed stamps on stamps.com and send a letter to your friends about your all new website you made using 1 month HTML and Squarespace.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 10, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no complaint, it's only "bullshit" in the sense that it's more white noise about amiibo that doesn't personally affect me.

Loot Crate's gimmick is that you pay $20 and they send you a box full of random nerd junk, right? So you could potentially get 10 amiibos for $60? I guess that's a good price if you want 10 Amiibos but who the gently caress wants 10 Amiibos.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no complaint, it's only "bullshit" in the sense that it's more white noise about amiibo that doesn't personally affect me.

Loot Crate's gimmick is that you pay $20 and they send you a box full of random nerd junk, right? So you could potentially get 10 amiibos for $60? I guess that's a good price if you want 10 Amiibos but who the gently caress wants 10 Amiibos.

Jivjov

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Oh boy I can't wait for Round 50 of "people getting really overly pissy about Amiibo" vs. "jivjov getting really overly defensive about Amiibo", I dunno about you guys.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CarpetCrawler posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for Round 50 of "people getting really overly pissy about Amiibo" vs. "jivjov getting really overly defensive about Amiibo", I dunno about you guys.

Maybe you could just keep posting, I'm sure that would be better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oddium posted:

They're parasite Pikmin that grow their roots into the Bulborb's brain and then they get added to your group and it owns

Bulbmin are really rad for a number of reasons

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of want 10 Amiibos, but I still don't want to pay that much for them. Lootcrate is such a sham in general. I tried it out 'cause I got a deal on a trial subscription, and they just send you an unknown bunch of cheap junk that isn't even cool in like a novelty way. Subscribe if you still think stuff like Sharknado is the height of comedy I guess.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I kind of want 10 Amiibos, but I don't want to pay that much for them. Lootcrate is such a sham in general. I tried it out 'cause I got a deal on a trial subscription, and they just send you an unknown bunch of cheap junk that isn't even cool in like a novelty way. Subscribe if you still think stuff like Sharknado is the height of comedy I guess.

My brother used Loot Crate for awhile but cancelled his subscription for that reason, yeah. Also they apparently forget to ship out stuff to people randomly and you have to go through a whole harangue by e-mail (or was it phone? I don't remember) to get them to fix that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I only want the Xenoblade, Zelda and Metroid Amibos.

Rest can shove it unless they make a good Rosilina one.

Yes including the Isabella and Animal Crossing ones, they can go to hell.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the only amiibo i really want is of master chief personally

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I should pick it up again and finish. Many times throughout my life I've picked up Wind Waker, made it pretty far and then put it down. Right around the time I had to start looking up guides to figure out how to water all the little trees, since there's still no way to write on the map in game.

Things like that.

I really paid for Wind Waker in fact I've bought it several times.

Definitely pick it back up. That's the exact same spot that I got to and said "gently caress this game", came into this thread saying "I just don't have the stomach for that kind of poo poo anymore" and everyone said "You know you don't have to do those missions".

So I forged ahead and only did the side missions that were easier or that I could remember. I only finished the game with 16 hearts and 1 heart piece, so I was missing 15 heart pieces. Also, the end game is surprisingly easy, so you don't need a huge number of hearts. I went into it with 16 hearts and 4 fairies in bottles, and I ended up only using one of the fairies and still had like 8-10 hearts when I finished.

The aesthetics and art direction for the major plot points are also really awesome.

Basically, I put it away for the same reason you did, but people here told me to just not do that quest and keep going with the game, and I thank them for it. I would have missed a lot of really good game if I had gone with my instinct and stopped playing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I had expected to eventually buy most of them anyway, so that might be a good deal for me. 10 for $60 is basically half price.

I mean, I have a little set of Mario character figures I got at the Nintendo store standing on my game shelf anyway. And I was figuring one a month and a couple for Christmas wouldn't be bad expense-wise.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

I had expected to eventually buy most of them anyway, so that might be a good deal for me. 10 for $60 is basically half price.

I mean, I have a little set of Mario character figures I got at the Nintendo store standing on my game shelf anyway. And I was figuring one a month and a couple for Christmas wouldn't be bad expense-wise.

Go back and take a look at that. They have not said that the service is $60. They said it's a separate service from their regular one, and if you go to their website for it, it's a link for you to give them your email so that you'll be notified when the "Amiibo Subscription Service" is available.

My guess is that it's going to be like $120, and you get some other poo poo you don't need with them. So basically, it's gonna be a bunch of boxes of poo poo that grown men shouldn't be spending money on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

Definitely pick it back up. That's the exact same spot that I got to and said "gently caress this game", came into this thread saying "I just don't have the stomach for that kind of poo poo anymore" and everyone said "You know you don't have to do those missions".

So I forged ahead and only did the side missions that were easier or that I could remember. I only finished the game with 16 hearts and 1 heart piece, so I was missing 15 heart pieces. Also, the end game is surprisingly easy, so you don't need a huge number of hearts. I went into it with 16 hearts and 4 fairies in bottles, and I ended up only using one of the fairies and still had like 8-10 hearts when I finished.

The aesthetics and art direction for the major plot points are also really awesome.

Basically, I put it away for the same reason you did, but people here told me to just not do that quest and keep going with the game, and I thank them for it. I would have missed a lot of really good game if I had gone with my instinct and stopped playing.

If you talk to the great deku tree about the trees, then any time you have forest water in your possession all the trees and their status will literally be right on your main chart.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

Go back and take a look at that. They have not said that the service is $60. They said it's a separate service from their regular one, and if you go to their website for it, it's a link for you to give them your email so that you'll be notified when the "Amiibo Subscription Service" is available.

My guess is that it's going to be like $120, and you get some other poo poo you don't need with them. So basically, it's gonna be a bunch of boxes of poo poo that grown men shouldn't be spending money on.

I got vampire teeth.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I see that. Oh well, if it's not cheaper than 10 Amiibos would normally be, I won't bother.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

If you talk to the great deku tree about the trees, then any time you have forest water in your possession all the trees and their status will literally be right on your main chart.

Yeah, I had no idea on that. But at the same time, I think the sentiment of "If it's not fun, just don't do that mission" is more what I was getting at. I've been playing video games for so long that that didn't even cross my mind until someone here said it. The dungeons are great, the aesthetics are fantastic, and I actually enjoyed the plot.

The tips for that game are basically, get the fast sail as soon as possible, get the warp song and use it often, and almost every island has something to do on it, especially the ones shaped like dice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, I see that. Oh well, if it's not cheaper than 10 Amiibos would normally be, I won't bother.

On the bright side that will reduce the cost on the second hand market, a number of people aren't going to want all 10.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I haven't posted the Japanese sales in a couple weeks because it can get out of hand fast, but I thought this weeks was interesting. Every console was down in sales except for the Wii U. It didn't go up a lot, but it's the only one that did:

New 3DS LL: 41,633 [DOWN] 17,753
New 3DS: 14,040 [DOWN] 7,241
Vita: 10,688 [DOWN] 1,542
3DS LL: 9,270 [DOWN] 1,395
PS4: 8,906 [DOWN] 36
PS3: 5,066 [DOWN] 72
3DS: 4,730 [DOWN] 528
Wii U: 4,696 [UP] 423
Vita TV: 718 [DOWN] 77
Xbox One: 599 [DOWN] 14
Xbox 360: 79 [DOWN] 10
PSP: 50 [DOWN] 26

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, bad (albeit unsurprising) news for those of you looking forward to the actual release of Art Academy on Wii U - it's been pushed back to a vague 2015 release date. Again, not terribly surprising since they never PRed a release date for it over the last few months, and it didn't even appear in the recent Nintendo Direct.

In addition, this piece on Miyamoto (which includes some bits of interview between its colorful prose) is a bit of a fun read, if somewhat embellished. It's mostly about the Pikmin short films, but includes a few other bits that may be interesting to some of you.

CarpetCrawler posted:

I love it when people get so upset at a poster that they remember the poster's username and proceed to make fun of the poster when they're not remotely present in the conversation because they can because they now know that poster's username.

Like, I could talk poo poo about Elf Help Book right now but I won't because I don't wanna' be a rudie-patootie to that cutie.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 10, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Fremry posted:

The tips for that game are basically, get the fast sail as soon as possible, get the warp song and use it often, and almost every island has something to do on it, especially the ones shaped like dice.

What do the islands shaped like dice do (I don't want to look it up).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

What do the islands shaped like dice do (I don't want to look it up).

Each of them has a treasure chest in it that appears once you kill all the ships and cannons in them. You'll need the Deku leaf to get to them.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

In addition, this piece on Miyamoto (which includes some bits of interview between its colorful prose) is a bit of a fun read, if somewhat embellished. It's mostly about the Pikmin short films, but includes a few other bits that may be interesting to some of you.

Speaking of the Pikmin videos, what do the people who've seen them think of them? I'm considering getting them this weekend when I have some free-time and popping some popcorn. They're basically like short films, right? I kind of hope they do well because it would be neat to see more Nintendo short films - something like Subspace Emissary as a short film seems like it would be worth a watch.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Each of them has a treasure chest in it that appears once you kill all the ships and cannons in them. You'll need the Deku leaf to get to them.

And they give you maps to find other stuff. Like one of them has a "Great Fairy" map that shows you the location of all of the Great Fairy upgrades.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CatsPajamas posted:

Speaking of the Pikmin videos, what do the people who've seen them think of them? I'm considering getting them this weekend when I have some free-time and popping some popcorn. They're basically like short films, right? I kind of hope they do well because it would be neat to see more Nintendo short films - something like Subspace Emissary as a short film seems like it would be worth a watch.

They're cute and worth a watch. I feel no burning need to buy the 3DS edition on top of my Wii U purchase, but it was worth the $5.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I want the Pit amiibo but I can't imagine what it would ever be used for. :sigh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

I want the Pit amiibo but I can't imagine what it would ever be used for. :sigh:

Uprising sequel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pitoo's conversation in the Wii U Smash kinda hints at a sequel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Pitoo's conversation in the Wii U Smash kinda hints at a sequel.

They could probably just release the first game again with a less horrendous control scheme and that's be better than most full-fledged sequels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxxidation posted:

They could probably just release the first game again with a less horrendous control scheme and that's be better than most full-fledged sequels.

I'd be okay with this. Amiibos could take the place of the AR cards.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Production pictures of the wave 2 Amiibos just appeared on Amazon:

The Captain Falcon one actually looks pretty good, so I'm happy! :D

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The locations on some of the sticks holding the figures up is...unfortunate.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zelda looks pretty good! The puddle of goop is weird, but it's not conspicuous like most of the other supports are.

I don't know why they even decided to colour some of the supports. They should all be clear.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I know they want to make them dynamic and all, but I think they should have put a big more thought into how to make durable figures without these stands. I guess they're stuck with the designs now as they match their smash bros trophies, but hopefully the next generation will have a bit more thought in that regards.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Those look amazingly better then Morth or Pitch from wave 1.

Cautiously optimistic with these.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

I know they want to make them dynamic and all, but I think they should have put a big more thought into how to make durable figures without these stands. I guess they're stuck with the designs now as they match their smash bros trophies, but hopefully the next generation will have a bit more thought in that regards.

Making the Amiibos slavishly match their render poses was probably the biggest mistake, yeah. I don't think anyone would be dissatisfied if Link had a different pose with both feet planted on the ground, instead of leaning on an ice piss column.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gonna buy that mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Supercar Gautier posted:

Making the Amiibos slavishly match their render poses was probably the biggest mistake, yeah. I don't think anyone would be dissatisfied if Link had a different pose with both feet planted on the ground, instead of leaning on an ice piss column.

I completely agree and hope they take the criticisms to heart and when the release new versions of figures they're designed from the ground up to be physical things and not just 3D prints of their in-game models. The simplier amiibos from the first Smash Brothers wave are the best looking ones for a reason.

• Locked thread