Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Z3n posted:

It's a great idea but that bike is pretty overpriced.

What do you think would be a reasonable price? I didn't think it was that far off. Maybe 6.5K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's pretty high mileage for a duc - I'd want it for around 6. Especially if he doesnt know if the valve collets were replaced.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
2012 ktm 690 duke for do everything bike; thoughts?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

NoDoorway posted:

:thumbsup: it's a fun bike.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I test rode one a while back. Yeah it's a fun bike. I'm waiting for the 390 though just to see how much it ends up being.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

NoDoorway posted:

A good a choice as any!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

NoDoorway posted:

My dad just bought a 2014 690 Duke and I've ridden it for a bit, it's a sweet bike, really eager and smooth engine too. Only niggle is the upright seating position isn't the greatest for highway trips; and he even has the laughably tiny KTM 'touring' windscreen, though there's taller third party ones. The bike itself, though, has no issue with highway cruising. You can get a variety bags/cases for it to increase day to day utility.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm going to go have a look at this Husky Nuda 900 today, because it could very well be an amazingly sweet deal. At 38 thousand kilometres on the clock I'm really, really hoping that everything checks out A-OK. Anything I should look for or ask about regarding its service history in particular?

PO rode this around the coast and through the dusty centre of Australia, spending significantly more than the current asking price keeping the thing maintained. The service history shows an almost excessive level of care. Dude had to have done 98% of his riding on highways, which I just cannot loving fathom in this country, on that bike, but it shows. Look at this loving rear tyre

It is flat as hell and nearly bald in the middle and completely untouched on the outside.

Anyway, I rode it and it makes a godly noise out of that revoltingly patina'd stock can and it's mechanically faultless as far as I can tell so I bloody well want it.

I've negotiated $300 off the asking with a set of Pilot Power 3s thrown in. Paying for it tomorrow. Will fit an exhaust that makes an even more outrageously naughty noise after Christmas.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 9, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Congratulations, you're about to become part of the tiny, tiny community of people who own an I2 that isn't lame. Those seem like really good bikes and I got the impression Husky got this >< close to doing some really cool poo poo before KTM bought them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A good 80% of my riding is on highways, probably more, I'm in Australia.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Shimrod posted:

A good 80% of my riding is on highways, probably more, I'm in Australia.

Yeah, that's normal if you live in the suburbs of a state capital, but the PO went motoventuring on the Gunbarrel and Bruce highways and poo poo. I'm sure he was a mad dude but he picked literally the most boring roads in the country to tour. If you're going on a motorcycle adventure in this country you're doing it wrong if you're going along straight roads.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

If you're going on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong if you're going along straight roads.

ftfy

Or maybe my mighty DRZ just isn't able to fully embrace the fun of a straight road. Is it more fun if you're in triple digits? I switched my speedo to KPH but I was still bored.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's fun when you're above 200km/h just for the novelty and the sense of being an inch from catastrophe and death. And just cause speed is fun. But in general, yes. How much power you have just dictates your fatigue speed threshold. Having a bike that does 160km/h like it's nothing just means you get tired at 200 instead of 140 like I'm assuming on your DRZ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Indicated 150 KPH, like a badass. :smuggo:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Fair.

But the point I was trying to make, though, was that we're actually not short of interesting roads. If you're enough of a (presumably) awesome renegade to want to clock 38 thousand kilometers riding around Australia on a Swedish motorcycle there's really no reason ever to be on our astonishingly lovely highways while doing it. Or a road, really, for that matter. We have private properties that are bigger than New Hampshire. You could trespass across the entire country on a trail bike and no authority would ever know.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Fair.

But the point I was trying to make, though, was that we're actually not short of interesting roads. If you're enough of a (presumably) awesome renegade to want to clock 38 thousand kilometers riding around Australia on a Swedish motorcycle there's really no reason ever to be on our astonishingly lovely highways while doing it. Or a road, really, for that matter. We have private properties that are bigger than New Hampshire. You could trespass across the entire country on a trail bike and no authority would ever know.

You can't fool me, Aussie, I've seen Wolf Creek. If no authority would ever know then there's no one to find my bones either. :tinfoil:

But in seriousness: your country is beautiful and I would love to go back and ride awesome motorcycles across it. This video is something I pretty much want to recreate for my bucket list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQyEBY5YjQ

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 9, 2014

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

The Nuda sold after hours on Saturday to some Scottish dude who works in the BMW branch of the same dealership chain. Apparently it's pending finance and they seemed a little iffy on it (you usually get same-day approval), so there's hope, but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I wasn't fast enough and it's now out of my reach.

Taking suggestions, I guess. I shouldn't be buying a new bike really, but I put myself in the mindset and now I can't help but look at my Ninja 300 the same way you might look at an extremely likeable employee who's been with you from the beginning but is out of their depth and is best was let go for everyone's sake.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 10, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Obligatory Tuono

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

nsaP posted:

Obligatory Tuono

Looks like a bag of smashed rear end and will almost certainly murder me at the earliest possible opportunity.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What are you looking for, what kind of criteria do you have set? Or are you just looking for something exciting to move up to?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

nsaP posted:

What are you looking for, what kind of criteria do you have set? Or are you just looking for something exciting to move up to?

Standard or upright position, agile, light-ish (under 200kg wet would be ideal), with a torquey powerplant that isn't zealously homicidal probably making somewhere between 70 and 110 hp. Good noises are a plus. I probably would have bought a Street Triple already if they didn't sound like they had severe ADHD.

I have a boring, practical car for driving stuff and other people (mostly my girlfriend, but I'm making her get her license so this will end) around, and my father owns a K1600GT that I have free reign to take wherever I want when he's not using it (which, being 68 and having sciatica and a worsening case of Being a Big Old Wuss-itis is pretty much always), so I don't need anything particularly useful or meant for long hauls. This bike is to put a grin on my face on weekends and for enjoying commutes to the maximum whenever possible.

So yeah, pretty much the latter. I just don't want to be leaning forward more than about 15 degrees while on it or have to rev the poo poo out of it to have any fun.

I have regular dirty fantasies about 821 Hypermotards.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 10, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Standard or upright position, agile, light-ish (under 200kg wet would be ideal), with a torquey powerplant that isn't zealously homicidal probably making somewhere between 70 and 110 hp. Good noises are a plus. I probably would have bought a Street Triple already if they didn't sound like they had severe ADHD.

I have a boring, practical car for driving stuff and other people (mostly my girlfriend, but I'm making her get her license so this will end) around, and my father owns a 2013 K1600GT that I have free reign to take wherever I want when he's not using it (which, being 68 and having sciatica and a worsening case of Being a Big Old Wuss-itis is pretty much always), so I don't need anything particularly useful or meant for long hauls. This bike is to put a grin on my face on weekends and for enjoying commutes to the maximum whenever possible.

I have regular dirty fantasies about 821 Hypermotards.

Aprilia Shiver?

Comedy answer: Dorsoduro 1200

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

The 750 has been on my radar for a while, but I think if I had one I'd be looking at pictures of Rivales and Hypermotards when it had its back turned.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Bandit 1250. :cheeky:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What sub-1000 cc cruiser would you put in your garage next to your DRZ?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

epalm posted:

I wouldn't put a sub-1000cc cruiser in my garage because it seems almost necessarily to be underpowered. If I really wanted a cruiser, I'd hold out for the Indian Scout to be released. But I guess an Iron 883, gun to my head. Triumph America probably also aight. Kawasaki make a 900 and Honda make a 750, either of which can probably be found dirt cheap where found at all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Standard or upright position, agile, light-ish (under 200kg wet would be ideal), with a torquey powerplant that isn't zealously homicidal probably making somewhere between 70 and 110 hp. Good noises are a plus.

You just described a Buell Lightning. Nothing makes better noises than a 45 degree v-twin, it is scientific fact.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Standard or upright position, agile, light-ish (under 200kg wet would be ideal), with a torquey powerplant that isn't zealously homicidal probably making somewhere between 70 and 110 hp.

Are there any KTM 990SM or Super Dukes for sale around you? That could be worth a look.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I wouldn't put a sub-1000cc cruiser in my garage because it seems almost necessarily to be underpowered.

Insurance in Canada is hilariously expensive, I can't afford a real Big Twin.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah I was going to suggest a 990SMT or, of course, a Buell Lightning (Long).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

epalm posted:

Hyosung GV650 :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

eliminator 125

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

epalm posted:

If I were short? Suzuki Marauder/M50, fantastic little bike, all the torque you could ever want, decent chassis and handling for a cruiser, DIRT cheap, reliable, easy to work on. Not great if you're a larger person though. The Intruder/C50 would be a better bike for that scenario, same qualities but heavier and wallow-ier.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

Suzuki Marauder/M50

Not sure I can get past that hideous headlight. Jesus Christ.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 11, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

If I were short? Suzuki Marauder/M50, fantastic little bike, all the torque you could ever want, decent chassis and handling for a cruiser, DIRT cheap, reliable, easy to work on. Not great if you're a larger person though. The Intruder/C50 would be a better bike for that scenario, same qualities but heavier and wallow-ier.

If you're small and want a powerful metric cruiser, the S83 is the ticket.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I think I found my dream bike
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/4753971457.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Mandatory viewing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good, now put it on your list for your 2nd or 3rd bike and get something else for your first.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

M42 posted:

Good, now put it on your list for your 2nd or 3rd bike and get something else for your first.
Is there something about it that's not suitable for a new rider? Other than the outrageous hipster tax