Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine that a Paizo 4e would just be Pathfinder with clean formatting.

That would somehow still manage to piss off grogs because legibility = dumbed-down baby MMO boardgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Im going to be playing 5e for the first time this weekend and i am thinking about going cleric. Anybody got any tips or are there anything i need to think about?
(Only played a little bit of 4E before.)

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Shadiiw posted:

Im going to be playing 5e for the first time this weekend and i am thinking about going cleric. Anybody got any tips or are there anything i need to think about?
(Only played a little bit of 4E before.)

Tempest Clerics are loving badass, Nature and War Clerics are actually stronk melee combatants as well as spellcasters, Light Clerics are really difficult to kill thanks to Warding Flare and get some blastiness from their domain spell list (Burning Hands, Fireball etc) and Healing Clerics do exactly what they say on the tin. I'd strongly recommend a Hill Dwarf, because you definitely want the Wisdom from your race and Hill Dwarves make you tough as gently caress and give you warhammer proficiency. Human is a good choice, too, I suspect. Have fun lording it over Wizards and Sorcerers and other spellcasters who don't get literally their entire list to choose from each day. Shillelagh is the best cantrip for hitting people.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010

Doodmons posted:

Tempest Clerics are loving badass, Nature and War Clerics are actually stronk melee combatants as well as spellcasters, Light Clerics are really difficult to kill thanks to Warding Flare and get some blastiness from their domain spell list (Burning Hands, Fireball etc) and Healing Clerics do exactly what they say on the tin. I'd strongly recommend a Hill Dwarf, because you definitely want the Wisdom from your race and Hill Dwarves make you tough as gently caress and give you warhammer proficiency. Human is a good choice, too, I suspect. Have fun lording it over Wizards and Sorcerers and other spellcasters who don't get literally their entire list to choose from each day. Shillelagh is the best cantrip for hitting people.

Sounds good! If i go Life to get some healing how is my damage going to be? Or if i go some other line will i still be able to at least some decent healing? I am more than likely going to be the healer of the group but it would be nice to be able to do damage to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Life, Nature and War Clerics all have proficiency in Heavy Armor and have "Divine Strike" to make their attacks deal an additional 1d8/2d8 damage.

War Clerics also have proficiency in Martial Weapons; the "War Priest" ability to let them attack twice per round, usable as many times as their WIS modifier, per long rest; and finally Guided Strike to let them use Channel Divinity to add +10 to their attack rolls.

I can't speak for how their Domain spells* play into this, but otherwise a Life Cleric should probably still be able to dish out some decent damage.

* On an unrelated note, someone made a complete list of 5E spells per level and it's something like 45 pages long for the Clerics and 66 pages long for the Wizards, even in 9 pt font

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Cassa posted:

Adventurers league remains terrible, it's not that the modules are railroads, to be expected with the format, it's that there's no chance for the players to have any effect. In fact in one of the new ones, it's almost not worth the adventurers leaving their house, they have so little effect on what's going on. It's more likely they'll gently caress everything up through no fault of their own.
Which one?

Also, I just played... I think the Fire one, I can't remember, and I can't believe they included the oozes that destroy weapons/armor. Three of them, no less. And then there's no rules in the DM guide or whatever for having stuff repaired. Good thing my AL DM just ruled it that we could pay 20 gold to have it fixed, but still.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm suspecting Paizo 4e would immediately shitcan useful Fighters and Warlords because :smugwizard:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
You know if they actually design some cool adventures for 4e I'd be all over it.

But I don't think that's gonna happen.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The cleric has a lot of options. You could make a human with the Healer feat and lean on that for party support, using your spell slots for offense along with tempest or light domain.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
My group has just started playing 5e/Next and we're currently playing the Starter Set adventure (Lost mine of Phandelver). So far it's been a fun ride and we've tried encounters using both theater of the mind and using a gridmap. I do however have a quick question regarding the premade halfling Rogue in the adventure.

He has begun using a sort of peek-a-boo fighting style by hiding behind an ally and shooting arrows at the enemy. This is totally fine according to a interpretation of the rules I could find (plus it's hilarious), but what I'm not sure about is how this impacts his aiming.

From what I can gather, if an ally is in front of the enemy you attempt to target (i.e the fighter is standing in front of the target "blocking" the rogues aim) the creature gets +2 to his defenses since the ally counts as cover.
What I am not sure about is: Does a creature get a +2 bonus if the rogue attempts to shoot "through" the wizard he's hiding behind?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Your own allies have never counted as cover for enemies as long as I've been playing D&D. I'm not sure if that's still true in Next, though.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Esser-Z posted:

Your own allies have never counted as cover for enemies as long as I've been playing D&D. I'm not sure if that's still true in Next, though.

DM's choice.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ritorix posted:

The cleric has a lot of options. You could make a human with the Healer feat and lean on that for party support, using your spell slots for offense along with tempest or light domain.

Early on it feels like any class that can hit AC 18 and cast spells is much better off than anybody else.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

We play allies providing cover to enemies as "If the enemy is conceivably intelligent enough to keep his opponent between himself and the guy with the giant crossbow, they get the bonus." If its just a pack of wolves or unintelligent undead, no.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
If you are just looking for a RAW answer, yes allies provide cover. It's explicit, "whether that creature is an enemy or a friend".

It was the same in 3.5 (and PF), RAW any creature provided cover. In 4e, only enemies provided cover, you could shoot through allies without penalty.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Tales Trees Tell

One of the others has multiple Spectres/Shades. Whichever one it is that does d4 damage to your strength score on a hit. For a party of between 1 and 4.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for all the answers! I think i will go life cleric as a hill dwarf, better to be on the safe side the first time.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Anyone tried out Rise of Tiamat? Kind of surprised at the silence since Hoard of the Dairy Queen got a mixed to positive reception.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Cassa posted:

Tales Trees Tell

One of the others has multiple Spectres/Shades. Whichever one it is that does d4 damage to your strength score on a hit. For a party of between 1 and 4.
Yeah, you're probably talking another one I played, the one with the black dragon at the end. I smited the poo poo out of those things.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hey guys, I'm working on running my first campaign — it's a shorter more humorous one for my group to play while our main DM plans some stuff out, because with a little creativity and a lot of luck we ran through what he had for us quicker than he anticipated.

I wanted to get some goons' opinions on stuff as there doesn't seem to be a uniform solution in any of the game materials I have and some friends of mine are of mixed opinions. If you destroy a lich's phylactery, does the lich die or become weakened, or does it simply just remove their respawn ability? Also my intention is to have it be an item that would normally be pretty easy to destroy (and they'll actually likely come upon the wizard in his final stages of attaining lichdom so it will probably all he moot anyway). Since the item would become magical, would destroying it be any more difficult than it would have been before it became a phylactery?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My interpretation of the MM's description of a Lich:

Destroying the Lich's phylactery does not kill it, but it does prevent them from respawning

DM's choice if destroying the phylactery causes the Lich to immediately weaken

The Lich will eventually weaken into a Demilich if the phylactery is destroyed

The Lich simply not feeding more souls/creatures into the phylactery for whatever reason will also turn it into a Demilich. If the phylactery is not destroyed then the Demilich will still respawn from the phylactery. The Demilich can become a Lich again once it finally feeds a new creature/soul into the phylactery

Destroying the phylactery will definitely require additional effort beyond what would be necessary for the same item if it wasn't a phylactery: "Destroying a lich's phylactery is no easy task and often requires a special ritual, item, or weapon. Every phylactery is unique, and discovering the key to its destruction can be a quest in and of itself."

The transformation into a Lich requires drinking a potion of transformation, and catching the Wizard at the moment of imbibing can be a climactic "cutscene" if you plan to have the party catch him just as he turns into a Lich

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Destroying the phylactery will definitely require additional effort beyond what would be necessary for the same item if it wasn't a phylactery: "Destroying a lich's phylactery is no easy task and often requires a special ritual, item, or weapon. Every phylactery is unique, and discovering the key to its destruction can be a quest in and of itself."

The transformation into a Lich requires drinking a potion of transformation, and catching the Wizard at the moment of imbibing can be a climactic "cutscene" if you plan to have the party catch him just as he turns into a Lich

Thanks! This particularly is helpful. I was going to give them every chance they have of stopping the transformation realistically, since they'll be about level 4 or 5 by the time they get there and a lich would probably roll them pretty hard unless they come up with a crazy creative solution, (which our party is known for, but my character is the one who comes up with them 90 percent of the time and he won't be involved on this quest.)

The potion should inadvertently work well for the bullshit lich transformation process I was making up anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In other news, WOTC continues the DMG previews with random NPC generation tables and a page of the section on creating homebrewed races:

Bluedeanie posted:

Thanks! This particularly is helpful. I was going to give them every chance they have of stopping the transformation realistically, since they'll be about level 4 or 5 by the time they get there and a lich would probably roll them pretty hard unless they come up with a crazy creative solution, (which our party is known for, but my character is the one who comes up with them 90 percent of the time and he won't be involved on this quest.)

The potion should inadvertently work well for the bullshit lich transformation process I was making up anyway.

You're welcome! Keep in mind that a Lich in the MM is CR 21, and even a Demilich is CR 18, so you either have to plan to never actually allow your players to enter combat with the Lich, or you have to create/stat-up your own Lich monster.

Also, don't let me/the MM curb your creativity, the description I gave is just what the MM says, but you are of course more than free to create your own version of a Lich's mechanics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's a little confusing because the 3E demilich was by far the more powerful of the two.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's a little confusing because the 3E demilich was by far the more powerful of the two.

Yeah, we just fought one in 4e Scales of War and I was surprised that a demilich was a level 20 encounter.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Admittedly the word 'demilich' sounds like it should be a shittier version of a lich. I was always confused that demilich meant 'older, badder, more dangerous lich'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that one isn't necessarily stronger than the other (setting aside the explicit CR rating), just that they're stronger in different ways. The Demilich has less HP, but has higher AC, can fly, has a lot more resistances and immunities and has Avoidance, and generally is fought more like a ghost, since it is in fact just a skull of what used to be a Lich that now no longer has a corporeal form.

The Lich, on the other hand, is a full fledged caster that'll shoot you with Power Word Kill and Finger of Death, but it's medium sized, has "only" 17 AC, has fewer resistances, isn't completely immune to Turn Undead the way the Demilich is (rather, has Advantage on saving against it) and is generally something with more "meat" to it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In the AD&D MM Demiliches were explicitly called out as 'more powerful' in the sense that they were the remains of an extremely powerful lich who had decided to take off on an astral journey to explore the multiverse. They are 'demi' in the sense that the lich isn't really 'there' any more - he's out on business and left his bones behind. Because it's DnD, the remains of an extremely powerful caster is itself very powerful.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

So there's another DMG preview about custom races/subraces! Sounds awesome I bet this is gonna be full of detailed... wait what just steal traits from other races and guesstimate it? Why is this book worth money, exactly?

edit: Late to the party, but goddamn these 'rules'

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 11, 2014

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Darwinism posted:

So there's another DMG preview about custom races/subraces! Sounds awesome I bet this is gonna be full of detailed... wait what just steal traits from other races and guesstimate it? Why is this book worth money, exactly?

Why not just put a quarter-page sidebar on custom races in the PHB if that's all it is? Is there some reason why this material shouldn't be player-accessible? Like, I'd think that a player is just as likely to want to come up with a cool race to play as a DM is. Why would a DM even bother coming up with rules for a playable race unless there was a player who wanted to play it? And if you've got a player who wants to play it, why don't they get first crack at picking some abilities?

This whole PHB/DMG thing is crazy to me. One big book is obviously better. Monster manual, sure. I can see having a big book of monsters with adventure hooks - there's demand for that. I wouldn't buy it, but I would totally buy it if it came with a few fold-out maps, sets of pre-made encounters and some monster tokens. Save me a few minutes of monster-building - alright, cool. Give me cool play aids and save me map-drawing and encounter-building time on top of all that? I'm in, baby.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that one isn't necessarily stronger than the other (setting aside the explicit CR rating), just that they're stronger in different ways. The Demilich has less HP, but has higher AC, can fly, has a lot more resistances and immunities and has Avoidance, and generally is fought more like a ghost, since it is in fact just a skull of what used to be a Lich that now no longer has a corporeal form.

The Lich, on the other hand, is a full fledged caster that'll shoot you with Power Word Kill and Finger of Death, but it's medium sized, has "only" 17 AC, has fewer resistances, isn't completely immune to Turn Undead the way the Demilich is (rather, has Advantage on saving against it) and is generally something with more "meat" to it.

The weaker Demilich here is a Lich that did not keep active and eaten souls and decayed as a result. The Demilich that is on par or stronger then the lich (CR 21/23 in lair.) is the version that abandoned his body.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's pretty funny how totally wrong they got the Demilich and here nobody's up in arms about how this slap in the face to D&D players is pissing on Gygax's corpse as it rapes their childhoods.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Demilich is obviously just a halfling lich. Or maybe it's a baelnorn.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

moths posted:

It's pretty funny how totally wrong they got the Demilich and here nobody's up in arms about how this slap in the face to D&D players is pissing on Gygax's corpse as it rapes their childhoods.
After successfully ruining 5e, the grogs have gone back to playing AD&D and ignoring new D&D products.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

I think you'll find that the DM may of course alter the demilich's abilities and statistics as he sees fit in order to best fit his milieu, as is right and proper, although he must take care not to make the encounter with the monster too easy or too difficult when he makes said alterations. :smaug:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

moths posted:

Its probably because they never encountered one. How many campaigns honestly make it to a level where a 20 cr monster would show up?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To be fair, the 3E-era demilich appeared in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook, a book which boiled down to 300 pages of purely conjectural scenarios involving monsters with 100 attacks per round, dungeons made out of adamantine just so a wizard wouldn't immediately disintegrate them, and spells that dealt 350d6 damage but caused you to die and lose XP. It's understandable if your average Threeaboo forgot about a floating skull monster with diamonds for eyes between "Colossal+" dragons made of rainbow and primordial undead space babies.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

To be fair, the 3E-era demilich appeared in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook, a book which boiled down to 300 pages of purely conjectural scenarios involving monsters with 100 attacks per round, dungeons made out of adamantine just so a wizard wouldn't immediately disintegrate them, and spells that dealt 350d6 damage but caused you to die and lose XP. It's understandable if your average Threeaboo forgot about a floating skull monster with diamonds for eyes between "Colossal+" dragons made of rainbow and primordial undead space babies.

I know logically this was probably unplayable but I kinda want to play a campaign that has these things (minus the bullshit crunch/rules bit).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Rannos22 posted:

I know logically this was probably unplayable but I kinda want to play a campaign that has these things (minus the bullshit crunch/rules bit).

I have, twice even. It's fun in a way, but it is really silly. You have to go full crazy with it though and only take it about as seriously as an episode of DBZ or something similar. I think 4E epic worked a lot better actually because while it had some of the same insanity, the combat still more or less worked like it did at low levels just...more.

Also, it is really weird that Demi-liches are weaker then liches, as Demi-Liches have always been just straight up super-mega liches since they were originally introduced, so it's weird that they'd mess that up, especially in an edition seemingly specifically made to not change that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how my wizard works in combat and it's either vague or buried in flavour, but would a cantrip like Ray of Frost roll proficiency against the target's AC or does it automatically hit? Would a spell that the target can roll a save against, like Burning Hands, also need to pass a prof check? If Ray of Frost requires a prof check and has the chance of rolling a 1 with no modifier why not just have a light crossbow for the guaranteed damage? Google is pretty sparse on this kind of info but I'm probably phrasing it wrong.