Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kids, don't recruit shamblers what are you doing stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Place your hydras in the dumpster where they belong

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Flame112 posted:

Place your hydras in the dumpster where they belong

Since you're not on irc, did you post anywhere how long you're gonna be out? I see gaysonly is on 260 hours, hopefully not 10 days...

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 9, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

scalded schlong posted:

Kids, don't recruit shamblers what are you doing stop!

you'll never stop me from recruiting warriors of the deep

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/213

Here's a noob game! 12 players, 15 provinces/player, standard settings, no ermor, no neruz, etc

Lots of new people so here's a new game for new people

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqWCD3hoDWFZQ5d7QXRNlHAOSYQDSPd7yQEiH9u00xk/viewanalytics

Seems that the strongest for the ages are:
Mictlan, Asphodel, and Ulm
and the weakest are
R'lyeh, Pelagia, and Pythium.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

TheresNoThyme posted:

Since you're not on irc, did you post anywhere how long you're gonna be out? I see gaysonly is on 260 hours, hopefully not 10 days...

I'll be back this Thursday for sure and Wednesday maybe.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

amuayse posted:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqWCD3hoDWFZQ5d7QXRNlHAOSYQDSPd7yQEiH9u00xk/viewanalytics

Seems that the strongest for the ages are:
Mictlan, Asphodel, and Ulm
and the weakest are
R'lyeh, Pelagia, and Pythium.

Data nerd reporting!

All ages sorted by mean power ("Don't Know" results omitted casewise). The little dots are individual observations, jittered around the integer marks. Boxes show mean and standard deviation, whiskers show upper and lower bounds.

Let me know if there's any particular statistics or analyses you want. Just tinkering for now.

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 10, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EA Abysia is that weak?

I suppose they are a bit gimmicky and predictable which makes them easy to counter.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Does EA Abysia have any redeeming features at all?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turin Turambar posted:

EA Abysia is that weak?

I suppose they are a bit gimmicky and predictable which makes them easy to counter.

Fire magic doesn't have enough going for it, and the entire nation is shut down by a single spell (Rain).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Incredibly easy expansion from turn one.

e: after that, though, mainly garbage, agreed.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 10, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

Data nerd reporting!

Let me know if there's any particular statistics or analyses you want. Just tinkering for now.

I assume this is an aggregate from all players who self selected? Interesting how many of the newbie friendly nations are "most powerful" while at the same time usually they get loving destroyed in games with advanced players :v: (Niefelheim is a good example).

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 10, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah, this is all players for now. I want to run ANOVAs between mid and high confidence participants (there is almost nobody with low confidence), and between different communities (to see if the SA meta is significantly different from the desura meta), but I'm gonna wait until there's some more data to compare groups with.

I thought LA Ulm was considered trash but I guess I really got the wrong message on that one!

e: I just looked them up and I didn't realise you could recruit the lovely 75g mages outside forts. That sounds pretty neat

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 10, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

Yeah, this is all players for now. I want to run ANOVAs between mid and high confidence participants (there is almost nobody with low confidence), and between different communities (to see if the SA meta is significantly different from the desura meta), but I'm gonna wait until there's some more data to compare groups with.

I thought LA Ulm was considered trash but I guess I really got the wrong message on that one!

That one is for sure correct. LA Ulm is pretty much the most powerful LA nation and if you don't cripple or kill it in the first year or two it just gets frighteningly powerful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
LA Ulm is super weak for the first couple of years but once they get some research down they can poop out horror casters and vampire skelespammers everywhere; giving them one of the most powerful lategames in LA.

I think only Abysia has a stronger lategame than Ulm in LA and they 'compensate' for that by having way worse early and midgames.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Does EA Abysia have any redeeming features at all?

You are usually killed early which ends the suffering that is playing EA Abysia.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Why is LA Ulm so crazy again? Something about their researchers not needing forts?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Why is LA Ulm so crazy again? Something about their researchers not needing forts?

No researcher needs forts, if you want to you could do all your research in unprotected provinces with labs in it. :v:

But back to your question, LA Ulm is crazy because it comes with two blood mages to recruit and spawns heroes which are vampires and ghouls. You can speed up the path to horror-vania if you take a vampire queen as pretender. LA Ulm is practically a blood nation masquerading as a human kingdom.

The blood mages are also astral mages, which means you practically can send horrors everywhere as soon as you have blood research.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
LA Abysia has something similar going for it as well but it's so weak early game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right, plus pretty res-cheap stealthy crossbowmen and piss easy potential to deal with native slightly low MR via Antimagic (you need 1 recruit anywhere S2B1 mage and 2 recruit anywhere S1 communion slaves plus a couple of pearls).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Libluini posted:

No researcher needs forts, if you want to you could do all your research in unprotected provinces with labs in it. :v:

But back to your question, LA Ulm is crazy because it comes with two blood mages to recruit and spawns heroes which are vampires and ghouls. You can speed up the path to horror-vania if you take a vampire queen as pretender. LA Ulm is practically a blood nation masquerading as a human kingdom.

The blood mages are also astral mages, which means you practically can send horrors everywhere as soon as you have blood research.

I meant you can recruit the researchers without forts, as in you can just drop a few labs and your research will explode by the end of year one. But I could be misremembering.

I ought to try this horror thing sometime, I didn't know it was that good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

la ulm is a nation with blood and astral in an age that's pretty much entirely defined by having blood and/or astral

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

la ulm is a nation with blood and astral in an age that's pretty much entirely defined by having blood and/or astral
Also death.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

All of the nofort mages can Star Fire, or whatever it is called, which isn't great but is really early, spammable, armor negating no save damage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I meant you can recruit the researchers without forts, as in you can just drop a few labs and your research will explode by the end of year one. But I could be misremembering.

I ought to try this horror thing sometime, I didn't know it was that good.

Of course, that's quite possible. I forgot LA Ulms blood+astral mages (except for third one, which is astral and cap-only) can be recruited in non-fort provinces. If you try this out I should point out an early game rush could put your mages literally to the sword, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder if anything will even come of that survey, because i'm pretty sure that illwinter is allergic to balancing things

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Well I'm not sure it's a very useful survey, for one thing.

Secondly, there's an argument about how much balancing you can really do without sucking the Dominions-ness out. Current system seems to be continual grinding power creep. Maybe the underwater patch will totally change up that whole section of the game, or it might just mean E4W3H3 200% (FWES) cap-only MA Atlantians, who knows.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i wonder if anything will even come of that survey, because i'm pretty sure that illwinter is allergic to balancing things

The survey is kinda neat but it's not really useful at all for this.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seems that Illwinter puts hidden resource costs for horse armor that doesn't actually do anything. Up to 25 resources. :suicide:
Consequently enough, LA Tien Chi and elves didn't buy into this whole scheme and are one of the few cav units worth recruiting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I eagerly anticipate the upcoming MA Bethesda nation.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

It seems that Illwinter puts hidden resource costs for horse armor that doesn't actually do anything. Up to 25 resources. :suicide:
Consequently enough, LA Tien Chi and elves didn't buy into this whole scheme and are one of the few cav units worth recruiting.

Finally, the secret of ponies!

Aren't the resources to "pay up" for the horse?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Plus the gold cost as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

little known fact: the horses like to eat metal. makes their coat shiny

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What should I look at for pretender design for Asphodel? Black Centaurs seem like a decent initial expansion force, but I'm not sure fairly expensive cap-only sacreds really justify a big bless, especially when money is already going to be tight. I do want access to Mother Oak, Gift of Health, and Carrion Woods, since I can get good mages from Nature gems and have good dompush for the others. For scales, Magic seem like a good idea, since my researchers are somewhat expensive and I don't have easy access to quills. Should I go Order/Growth to try to combat income loss from toxic dominions, or should I just go Turmoil/Luck/Magic and hope for the best?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

ChickenWing posted:

Fire magic doesn't have enough going for it, and the entire nation is shut down by a single spell (Rain).

rain is just one item on a long list of reasons why ea abysia is worthless

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

What should I look at for pretender design for Asphodel? Black Centaurs seem like a decent initial expansion force, but I'm not sure fairly expensive cap-only sacreds really justify a big bless, especially when money is already going to be tight. I do want access to Mother Oak, Gift of Health, and Carrion Woods, since I can get good mages from Nature gems and have good dompush for the others. For scales, Magic seem like a good idea, since my researchers are somewhat expensive and I don't have easy access to quills. Should I go Order/Growth to try to combat income loss from toxic dominions, or should I just go Turmoil/Luck/Magic and hope for the best?

Growth 3 and Magic 3 gives you better/stronger manikin freespawn so you should pick up those if you can. I think you can get away with Turmoil or Heat/Cold since your temples are cheap and a lot of your troops/commanders cost gems not gold.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Finally, the secret of ponies!

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
I was surprised to see EA Berytos so highly regarded! It hasn't won anything in all of our goon games that I've seen. I realize it was strong in Dom3 but I think people are disregarding what happens to it in Dom4's EA early game. It just can't really hang with the serious bless rushes in EA.

Jabarto posted:

• Pikes are solid
  • They have good arrow catchers for early expansion
  • Rangers are a great swing unit
  • Ghoul Guardians stop sacreds in their tracks
  • Iron Blizzard can easily carry the midgame
  • Fast research
  • Vampire Counts! Attacking into LA Ulm once they hit enough of these becomes very painful
  • A disgusting endgame that is Astral Corruption + Send Horror
They are weakest in the first year (but still decent!) and they just become more and more powerful until the game ends.

LA Marignon is similar in how it works, but it's even weaker in the early/mid game (no Ghoul Guardians, Arrow Catchers or Iron Blizzard) so it has less of a chance of 'going off'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Most Astral\Blood nations have very weak early games which is why any sane player seeks to obliterate all Astral\Blood nations during the early game because if they hit the lategame they tend to just win by default. With Send Horror bugged to send 2 horrors per cast instead of 1 and still being way too fuckin cheap for what it does once an Astral\Blood nation gets their research done the game is basically over unless there happens to be another Astral\Blood nation around; in which case you get horror fights.

• Locked thread