Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay, I had a revelation last night while I was playing Metal Gear Rising: Reveangeance. Give Megaman to Konami and Platinum and put Hideo Kojima in charge of the whole shebang. If they can make Raiden funny and badass then surely they can do the same for X and Zero.

Also, SWORD FIGHT WITH METAL GEAR RAY. GOD drat I LOVE YOU SO MUCH PLATINUM/KONAMI. SO MUCH.

I'm completely on board with this. Obviously Konami doesn’t need to be involved, but the rest of it, yes. Vanquish alone is enough to convince me they could make a fun Mega Man shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some more Mighty news:

Here's the "Japanese" box art included with one of the backer tiers:

...and with 42% of the vote, here's Call's weapon:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What were the other weapon options? I can't remember.

Boxart looks nice.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I might be a broken record, but if you've ever played Vanquish, it's practically a 3D Mega Man game.

This. With X playing like Vanquish and Zero playing like Revengeance. I'd buy it at a high price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some more Mighty news:

A minor thing that the update touches on: They've now shifted Beck's colour palette slightly, so that instead of grey, his highlights (or primary colour, hard to tell how the proportions work out) are white. And this actually has a thematic thing about it - white light covers the whole spectrum, and so applied here, is meant to be symbolic of Beck's ability to take on the powers of all the other Mighty Ones.

And I like that. That's actually some thought into giving some idea to the concept outside of 'Megaman except we don't have the license'.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I'll never not hate what comes out of the backer decisions, will I?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Traffic cone bow, gooo~!

I like it because it's not a gun, personally.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

A minor thing that the update touches on: They've now shifted Beck's colour palette slightly, so that instead of grey, his highlights (or primary colour, hard to tell how the proportions work out) are white. And this actually has a thematic thing about it - white light covers the whole spectrum, and so applied here, is meant to be symbolic of Beck's ability to take on the powers of all the other Mighty Ones.

And I like that. That's actually some thought into giving some idea to the concept outside of 'Megaman except we don't have the license'.

And I just realized that the colors of the different bosses sorta follow the color spectrum from red to purple, neat.

I prefered the bow so good for that too, although the center part looks like it's made of two pokeballs, it's weird.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

First Past the Post :argh:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Do you get your information from Neogaf or something?

Nah, just some offhand comments I heard from a friend who plays way more Metal Gear than I do. Something about how in one of the most recent MG games or demos you could find insignias laying around of the old games and Kaz would make a comment about them. Apparently with the non-canonical ones (and I guess Revengeance) Kaz says "huh I don't remember that one" and then it fades away or something.

I don't really know the full details or have looked it up much. I could be very wrong! :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Some more Mighty news:

No, Rollclone, don't use it! It's a Model W! Just touching it will doom your entire franch-

actually yes please use it with my blessing little copyright infringement

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Do you NEVER not bitch about Mighty no 9? All you do is bitch about Mighty no 9. Same poo poo with you. Uninspired Megaman Clone

WE loving GET IT.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2014

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

(mighty) No. (9)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Do you NEVER not bitch about Mighty no 9? All you do is bitch about Mighty no 9. Same poo poo with you. Uninspired Megaman Clone

WE loving GET IT.

The guy's own profile has him whining about what an unlikable dead-end loser he is, you sort of get what's advertised.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shindragon posted:

WE loving GET IT.

I have never seen Screaming Idiot not be poo poo in any thread he posts in, hth

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Darth TNT posted:

This. With X playing like Vanquish and Zero playing like Revengeance. I'd buy it at a high price.

Oh shiiiiiiittt son. That would be the hypest poo poo ever.

The craziest thing is people already know how to make a good, modern, 3D Mega Man game, and it's actually already happened a couple times. It's just that they're not branded Mega Man.

While I would gladly buy NES style classic Mega Man games till the end of time (and Metroidvania Castlevanias for that matter), if Mega Man ever comes back, I want them to go crazy and do a modern 3D take on it. We haven't seen that attempted since Mega Man Legends, unless you really want to count X7. Which we don't.

Mega Man may not be as big of a name as Mario or Sonic, but if Namco and Konami can make new, large budget modern takes on Pac-Man and Castlevania respectively, Capcom could do Mega Man.

Sadly it will never happen. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man may not be as big of a name as Mario or Sonic, but if Namco and Konami can make new, large budget modern takes on Pac-Man and Castlevania respectively, Capcom could do Mega Man.

Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable gaming mascots of all time. Even if his new games are not big deals, the original is. Castlevania's big budget modern take lasted all of two games before it died horribly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Nah, just some offhand comments I heard from a friend who plays way more Metal Gear than I do. Something about how in one of the most recent MG games or demos you could find insignias laying around of the old games and Kaz would make a comment about them. Apparently with the non-canonical ones (and I guess Revengeance) Kaz says "huh I don't remember that one" and then it fades away or something.

I don't really know the full details or have looked it up much. I could be very wrong! :shrug:

Kaz recognizes Kojima-directed titles, so stuff like Portable Ops and Revengeance aren't gonna get recognized.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable gaming mascots of all time. Even if his new games are not big deals, the original is. Castlevania's big budget modern take lasted all of two games before it died horribly.

That's true.

Also, I didn't know Castlevania died horribly. I never beat the first Lords of Shadow and never played the sequel or Mirror of Fate. Because well, while I'm a huge Castlevania fan and Castlevania is my 2nd favorite after Mega Man, they just didn't feel very Castlevania to me so I lost interest. ...That might be part of why they failed.

I mean, I don't hate Lords of Shadow or anything, I just didn't feel like I was playing Castlevania and I got bored. The same thing applies to every Battle Network game I've played. I just stopped paying attention to these. Now if Konami released another game for 3DS using those same sprites they've been using since Dracula X I would be like "gently caress yeah give it to me now!"

That said, Mega Man Legends is totally not a Mega Man game beyond its aesthetics but who cares, the game is still fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable gaming mascots of all time.

That smash bros video that showed a red stripe for Mario, a blue stripe for Mega Man and a yellow stripe for Pac-Man was pretty spot on. Those are some giants of gaming, even if Mega Man is probably trending downwards in fame to wherever Sonic is at.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mean, I don't hate Lords of Shadow or anything, I just didn't feel like I was playing Castlevania and I got bored.

Lords of Shadow 2 was kind of a giant shitfest rather than just a not-Castlevaniay game unfortunately.

Lurdiak posted:

That smash bros video that showed a red stripe for Mario, a blue stripe for Mega Man and a yellow stripe for Pac-Man was pretty spot on. Those are some giants of gaming, even if Mega Man is probably trending downwards in fame to wherever Sonic is at.

Uh. You've got that literally backwards Sonic is the one with successful games and big sales numbers and general recognition.

Sonic is the most successful mascot character not belonging to Nintendo. His games regularly sell multi-million copies. (He's had a couple of bombs but usually because of things like "released on the Wii U.") He has had multiple television shows (including a new one which just started). The symbol people think Mega Man is is the one Sonic actually is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, even though Mega Man's games are generally better than Sonic's, Sonic was huge. Especially in the early 90's. He still is. Kids still buy tons and tons of Sonic games.

Oddly though, both Sonic and Mega Man are not very popular in Japan. Mega Man is most popular in the US, and Sonic is big in the US and Europe. Sega was the biggest in Europe as Nintendo kind of dropped the ball, there.

You can always tell someone is from the UK when they fondly recall obscure games on the Mega Drive and ZX spectrum that nobody else has ever heard of. Hey, remember Wonder Boy? Alex Kidd? No? Oh, okay...

ImpAtom posted:

Lords of Shadow 2 was kind of a giant shitfest rather than just a not-Castlevaniay game unfortunately.

Wouldn't know, never played it. Playing as Dracula in the modern day sounds like a neat premise, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wouldn't know, never played it. Playing as Dracula in the modern day sounds like a neat premise, though.

Yeah it was great in Aria and Dawn! :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically the director was a giant self-centered idiot who made a bunch of design decisions and forced his staff to adhere to them despite the fact everyone involved knew it was going to be terrible. It's the reason Konami kind of shoved it out to die without advertising because they knew they had a bomb on their hands.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the director was a giant self-centered idiot who made a bunch of design decisions and forced his staff to adhere to them despite the fact everyone involved knew it was going to be terrible. It's the reason Konami kind of shoved it out to die without advertising because they knew they had a bomb on their hands.

So it was basically Other Metroid: Other M?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Yeah it was great in Aria and Dawn! :v:

Nah, Aria was the future! Well, near future. Close enough.

If Konami wants to pump out more Metroidvanias on 3DS like SOTN and the ones for GBA and DS, I'm all for it. It will probably never happen though, as Castlevania is a few whole magnitudes less popular than Mega Man. Most gamers have at least heard of Mega Man even though they probably haven't ever played any. If you mention Castlevania to the average person they would be like "huh, what?"

Castlevania is probably even deader than Mega Man. At least Mega Man has a vocal fanbase and some deal of name recognition. Mega Man had a cartoon, tons of action figures, some manga and a comic. Castlevania doesn't even have an SA thread.

This sucks because Castlevania owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

So it was basically Other Metroid: Other M?

In a similar realm, but actually a much worse game.

They did murder all the Belmonts though!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Castlevania is probably even deader than Mega Man. At least Mega Man has a vocal fanbase and some deal of name recognition. Mega Man had a cartoon, tons of action figures, some manga and a comic. Castlevania doesn't even have an SA thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563234

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you had to at least dodge in Lords of Shadow 2.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Oh poo poo! That's what I get for never actually browsing games and just looking at my bookmarked threads.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Hey Shanoa and Soma were better than all the Belmonts anyway, so no big loss there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

chumbler posted:

Hey Shanoa and Soma were better than all the Belmonts anyway, so no big loss there.

I like Richter Belmont a lot and think he's super cool even though he's the guy who got possessed and basically ruined the whole Belmont legacy until Johnathan came around in Portrait of Ruin.

It mostly has to do with Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night being really cool games.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Why do people say Vanquish is like Mega Man (besides the slide)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's a fast-paced action game with heavy emphasis on mobility, dodging and shooting weak points. It's not like Mega Man specifically so much as it is the closest a 3D shooter has come to feeling like an older NES-style action game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's a shooter where fight thousands of robots, have a small set of weapons and can slide around in at high speed. If Sam was blue and the robots were weak to certain weapons it would be Megaman.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's a fast-paced action game with heavy emphasis on mobility, dodging and shooting weak points. It's not like Mega Man specifically so much as it is the closest a 3D shooter has come to feeling like an older NES-style action game.

Pretty much. It's also very Contra. It has some enormous bosses with weak points typical of 8 and 16 bit side scrolling shooters. The whole slide \ dash is very Mega Man, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

It's a shooter where fight thousands of robots, have a small set of weapons and can slide around in at high speed. If Sam was blue and the robots were weak to certain weapons it would be Megaman.

Isn't there also a robot dog?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Vanquish and Mega Man both drew inspiration from Neo-Human Casshern, too.

To be specific, Vanquish should be compared to Mega Man X and not Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't there also a robot dog?

Unfortunately no, the dog-shaped robot buddy that could convert itself into a piece of mobile cover bristling with machine guns was scrapped in development. It was later reincarnated as Blade Wolf.