Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Night Flier is dope as all hell. The main character is a sleazy photo journalist who does poo poo like sabotage the graves of murder victims to make more intersting pictures. Also the vampire has two HUGE fangs, one on the upper jaw and one on the lower, instead of the more traditional looking Dracula teeth.

It's easily one of the top 5 King based films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Night Flier is dope as all hell. The main character is a sleazy photo journalist who does poo poo like sabotage the graves of murder victims to make more intersting pictures. Also the vampire has two HUGE fangs, one on the upper jaw and one on the lower, instead of the more traditional looking Dracula teeth.

I've never seen Night Flier but it should have opened with a quick adaptation of the Grampy story, also from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

yeah i'll second all of this post, Night Flier is a pro watch

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

amused by the first one, the second one I wasn't sure about because I thought soda machines like that just let gravity pull the machine into the slot, and even if they had some way to propel the can down I doubt they'd have a way to propel the can out like that, but once again, I don't actually know, so I'm not gonna pick that nit.

Getting back to the first scene you linked, I did wonder throughout the whole thing why all machines decided they hated humans. doesn't make a lot of sense. How could a machine even make a judgement call like that, what standards of behavior is a loving ATM expecting humans to live up to? But that is the central conceit of the movie, all machines become intelligent and attack all humans, so you kind of have to give it a pass there.

The real issue is how do the machines even know what's going on? Cars don't have eyes. they have no sensory apparatuses, except for internal monitoring of their own selves, and I doubt they even had that back when the movie was made in the fifties or whatever. They certainly didn't have rear-view cameras back then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Time Dissolver posted:

Behead those who insult Maximum Overdrive

You could shoot a coke can at them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

amused by the first one, the second one I wasn't sure about because I thought soda machines like that just let gravity pull the machine into the slot, and even if they had some way to propel the can down I doubt they'd have a way to propel the can out like that, but once again, I don't actually know, so I'm not gonna pick that nit.

Getting back to the first scene you linked, I did wonder throughout the whole thing why all machines decided they hated humans. doesn't make a lot of sense. How could a machine even make a judgement call like that, what standards of behavior is a loving ATM expecting humans to live up to? But that is the central conceit of the movie, all machines become intelligent and attack all humans, so you kind of have to give it a pass there.

The real issue is how do the machines even know what's going on? Cars don't have eyes. they have no sensory apparatuses, except for internal monitoring of their own selves, and I doubt they even had that back when the movie was made in the fifties or whatever. They certainly didn't have rear-view cameras back then.

Is this a fake post? I can't tell any more.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Pretend all the machines/cars are being controlled by rear end in a top hat invisible ghosts.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had no idea they made a Night Flier movie. I remember reading the short story when I was a kid and it was really the only one in that set of stories that I can remember, aside from one where some guy was tormented by a really, really long finger coming out of his bathroom sink or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I had no idea they made a Night Flier movie. I remember reading the short story when I was a kid and it was really the only one in that set of stories that I can remember, aside from one where some guy was tormented by a really, really long finger coming out of his bathroom sink or something.

both great stories. Nightmares and Dreamscapes is a very solid collection

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

effectual posted:

Pretend all the machines/cars are being controlled by rear end in a top hat invisible ghosts.

Fixed.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

boom boom boom posted:

Dude, just how young are you if you can't tell the difference between a film made in the 80's from a film made in the 50's?

Also, if you're going to nitpick vehicles developing spatial awareness and homicidal misanthropy, but not ATMs and dot matrix signage manifesting knowledge of proper grammar and word usage, or soda machines having catapults built into their dispensers (I know for a fact that they don't, because there's no goddamn reason for them to), then I don't know what the hell you were expecting out of that film.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

both great stories. Nightmares and Dreamscapes is a very solid collection

There was a somewhat recent attempt to make one of his short story bundles into a TV series, wasn't there? I remember one episode was based on The End Of The Whole Mess. Somehow they mostly picked the worst stories to use (the one I mentioned is a good story, but hard to translate to TV).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

davidspackage posted:

There was a somewhat recent attempt to make one of his short story bundles into a TV series, wasn't there? I remember one episode was based on The End Of The Whole Mess. Somehow they mostly picked the worst stories to use (the one I mentioned is a good story, but hard to translate to TV).

It was Nightmares and Dreamscapes, actually.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It was Nightmares and Dreamscapes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481452/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2a

Not all of the stories were from that book though, it also had stories from Night Shift and Everything's Eventual.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh, I forgot an extra reason the gun thing bugged me. They need to get a human to work the gas pump. Why couldn't the gas pump work itself? If the car with the gun could work the gun, the pump should be able to move it's own fuel hose.

By allowing one but not the other, the whole internal logic of the movie breaks down, nothing makes sense, and it's all just a waste of time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It could work its own hose, it just prefers to have someone else do it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sir Kodiak posted:

It could work its own hose, it just prefers to have someone else do it.

Yeah sometimes it's just better if you have someone else to work your pump, cuts down on the shame afterwards

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Maybe the car and the gun were two separate machines working together. Sort of a Master Blaster situation. I mean if a car can turn itself on and steer itself, why can't a gun swivel itself around and pull its own trigger?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, I forgot an extra reason the gun thing bugged me. They need to get a human to work the gas pump. Why couldn't the gas pump work itself? If the car with the gun could work the gun, the pump should be able to move it's own fuel hose.

By allowing one but not the other, the whole internal logic of the movie breaks down, nothing makes sense, and it's all just a waste of time.

I agree with you, it all made no loving sense.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i, for one, think Maximum Overdrive made perfect sense, idiot

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Guys, it's "Maximum Overdrive", not "Adequate Overdrive" or "Above Average Overdrive".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stop feeding the troll.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The sequel was much better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Okay, but Lawnmower Man really doesn't count. The story is about a dude that mows your lawn by eating the grass naked and then kills you. I mean, it's entirely unrelated except the movie is about a guy who at one point does have a lawnmower.

It's like if Game of Thrones the show was a modern police procedural about a guy who plays chess occasionally and calls it "thrones."

Also King successfully got them to take his name off the movie after the theatrical release.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I don't think I can take any of this seriously.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Yeah, well, that's certainly a trio I didn't expect to see together soon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That tagline is awesome. loving LOL.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had no idea Adrien Brody had sunk down to John Cusack levels of straight-to-dvd movies. Dang.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Stare-Out posted:

I had no idea Adrien Brody had sunk down to John Cusack levels of straight-to-dvd movies. Dang.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie should be buried alive.

Although, Brody was doing his Royce Voice(!!) from Predators, so that was...amusing? Just for a moment.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Maximum Overdrive wasn't ghosts. The very end it says that a russian "Weather Satellite" that just happened to be carrying 100 nuclear warheads destroyed something trailing behind a comet. Then it all stopped.

edit: I preferred Trucks!, the remake, where they escape on a helicopter , then the camera pans to the pilot and there isn't one :ghost:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah but I figured that was an anomaly, like Kate Winslet being in Movie 43 or whatever. Goddamnit, Adrien. Get your poo poo together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Erebus posted:

You know what's really weird?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Erebus posted:

The makers of this poster clearly have no idea what they're doing, they've put the right names above the right actors.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Erebus posted:

Ave, canst though ken yon verbiage emanating from mine palate?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Maximum Overdrive is a Transformers film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Maximum Overdrive is a Transformers film.

i loving wish the Transformers films were more like Maximum Overdrive.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So who's had the worse post-Oscar career: Adrien Brody or Cuba Gooding, jr? My vote goes to Brody. At least CBj still pops up in theatrically released films.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vagabundo posted:

So who's had the worse post-Oscar career: Adrien Brody or Cuba Gooding, jr? My vote goes to Brody. At least CBj still pops up in theatrically released films.

I've seen post Oscar Brody in films that I've chosen to see, I've seen post oscar CBj on posters for films that I've chosen to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
CBJ. At least Adrien Brody does whatever he wants. He's having fun and I enjoy watching him in Giallo and Splice and Predators and whatever else. Some of the poo poo CBJ does makes me think he's a paycheck away from getting his lights shut off.