Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 378 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

KARMA! posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, uncle bob. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME factory objects OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP inheritance. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS anti patterns. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY maker faire bongo team AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN a maker faire bongo team CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE patterns AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Soricidus posted:

sure, you can work round some js flaws with third-party extensions, and some people use them some of the time, and this is not a bad thing, so far as it goes.

there is a huge difference, though, between "javascript has modules" and "most of the benefits of modules can be achieved in javascript by using one of various third-party libraries, provided you don't mind that they are not available out of the box, they are not mentioned at all in many of the books or tutorials that you might try to learn from, and since they are not standardized in any way there is no guarantee of future support."

a defacto standard is the only standard that matters

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

at least c has a standard mechanism that everyone uses, which provides for basic separation of interface and implementation, provides a basic level of isolation between compilation units, etc.

it isn't quite enough though for anything but static compilation, though.

C has to have all sorts of additions in order to manage API evolution, ABI compatibility, and so on, all of which are nonstandard. (and none of which are taught, rather than learned by osmosis.)

C just has fewer problems because it sets a higher bar for getting anything at all done with the language; by the time you're a marginally competent C programmer, you pick up things like "if you add a parameter to that API, all existing code will fail to link" because you've probably had that exact problem yourself in the past.

code modularity is a surprisingly difficult problem, especially when combined with evolution of different subsystems over time.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

a defacto standard is the only standard that matters

the problem is js has even wider reach than php, and so many people, in the absence of [knowing about the de-facto] standards made up their own lovely ones

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

KARMA! posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, uncle bob. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME factory objects OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP inheritance. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS anti patterns. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY maker faire bongo team AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN a maker faire bongo team CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE patterns AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

erich gamma now works on a cloud based text editor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the problem is js has even wider reach than php, and so many people, in the absence of [knowing about the de-facto] standards made up their own lovely ones

agree, but that's rapidly changing though

rotor fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 10, 2014

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
spitting out SOLID concepts with a good rap flow makes me harder than visiting 4chan /d/

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there are no defacto standards in js

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jquery is the closest thing to a javascript defacto standard

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
let me tell you about the CORRECT way to make an "object" in js.

you see prototype..

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

jquery is the closest thing to a javascript defacto standard

and it is fantastic. I can do a lot of stuff using jquery but need to look up how to do the equivalent in plain javascript

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

KARMA! posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

it isn't quite enough though for anything but static compilation, though.

C has to have all sorts of additions in order to manage API evolution, ABI compatibility, and so on, all of which are nonstandard. (and none of which are taught, rather than learned by osmosis.)

C just has fewer problems because it sets a higher bar for getting anything at all done with the language; by the time you're a marginally competent C programmer, you pick up things like "if you add a parameter to that API, all existing code will fail to link" because you've probably had that exact problem yourself in the past.

code modularity is a surprisingly difficult problem, especially when combined with evolution of different subsystems over time.
i agree 100% with this post. i wasn't holding up c as an example of a good system; i was just identifying an advantage it has over javascript, in which absolutely everything related to code reuse is nonstandard, untaught, and only learnable by osmosis.

i sure as hell would not advocate the use of a c-style system in any language created since 1975. nor would i recommend c itself to anyone who is not either already an expert c programmer, or else a very diligent learner who can be trusted to do their homework rather than just waltz in and poo poo things up until they've opened a security hole in your codebase that makes mr goatse look like a tightass.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

and it is fantastic. I can do a lot of stuff using jquery but need to look up how to do the equivalent in plain javascript
yeah using javascript w/out jquery would be awful.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

yeah using javascript w/out jquery would be awful.

is there any other language that is equivalent to this. i mean you can understand and use jQuery without having to know how to use javascript in general or its syntax. which is kinda weird

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Valeyard posted:

is there any other language that is equivalent to this. i mean you can understand and use jQuery without having to know how to use javascript in general or its syntax. which is kinda weird

in the sense of de-facto standard library: ruby + activesupport

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Speaking of Ruby, Klabnik's gonna be in Philly tomorrow talking about Rust to a bunch of Ruby devs so I'll probably go

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've got a friend working on a Rust project atm and he says week to week the language is changing too much for him to keep up with let alone progress with the actual project lol

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

Speaking of Ruby, Klabnik's gonna be in Philly tomorrow talking about Rust to a bunch of Ruby devs so I'll probably go

why would you try to get ruby devs to use rust

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Valeyard posted:

I've got a friend working on a Rust project atm and he says week to week the language is changing too much for him to keep up with let alone progress with the actual project lol

Yeah I looked at it for a hot minute but I'm not really going to touch it until they do a 1.0 freeze. From what I remember though, the error logging is pretty decent? I like good error logging since it lets me constantly know how terrible of a programmer I am, and why.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

yeah but if you're an academic like him making some trivial program for your own use who cares.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

yeah but if you're an academic like him making some trivial program for your own use who cares.

well it is our final year projects which he got stuck with via random assignment, so it does kind of suck

Rust version numbering:

quote:

Releases
Version Date
0.12 2014-10-09
0.11 2014-07-02
0.10 2014-04-03
0.9 2014-01-09
0.8 2013-09-26
0.7 2013-07-03
0.6 2013-04-02
0.5 2012-12-20
0.4 2012-10-12
0.3 2012-07-12
0.2 2012-03-28
0.1 2012-01-20

Is it standard practice in version numbering to have 0.1 and 0.10 be different releases?

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 10, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ruby is the 'M' of "PBDSM" (Programming BDSM) when it comes to errors

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Valeyard posted:

well it is our final year projects which he got stuck with via random assignment, so it does kind of suck

Rust version numbering:

Is it standard practice in version numbering to have 0.1 and 0.10 be different releases?

Version numbers are strings not numbers so yes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bloody posted:

Version numbers are not numbers

i wonder when this became true because it seems like it couldn't have always been this way

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

i wonder when this became true because it seems like it couldn't have always been this way

same

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

as soon as we started adding a second decimal

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Corla Plankun posted:

for ages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

the major minor versions are numbers but on the whole its a string.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

no ones brought up semantic versioning yet?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

uncurable mlady posted:

no ones brought up semantic versioning yet?

what does that have to do with it? you can have both a 1.1 and 1.10 in semantic versioning

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

triple sulk posted:

you should spit on him

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

imo if you don't want your version to be a number don't make it look so much like a loving number

rotor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 11, 2014

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

what does that have to do with it? you can have both a 1.1 and 1.10 in semantic versioning

:shrug: iunno, I thought it made double digit point releases more popular because you'd rack up so many

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

Rust version numbering:

autists threw a huge fit when the version of mame after 0.99 was not 1.0 but 0.100

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
i'm really excited about windows 9 guys

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
a rust ide with auto complete, auto import (like how eclipse imports java packages), lifetime support, and project/build support would be v. nice.

^^^^ somebody make this pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

a rust ide with auto complete, auto import (like how eclipse imports java packages), lifetime support, and project/build support would be v. nice.

^^^^ somebody make this pls

iirc jetbrains has a rust plugin in the works

• Locked thread