Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I don't see why option selects are necessarily bad, I mean you should try to avoid going overboard but something like a typical fierce/throw is fine imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the stupider part about resets is the entire cast has lots of them

mvc2 has one magneto, skullgirls has 8

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How is crouch tech more of an option select than stand tech?

No way was it anything but a reaction to sf4.
Because crouch tech gives you crouch short instead of throw whiff.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

may contain peanuts posted:

Why is there always more Skullgirls talk in here than in the actual Skullgirls thread?
Because talking about whether SG sucks or not is more entertaining than playing Skullgirls.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

the stupider part about resets is the entire cast has lots of them

mvc2 has one magneto, skullgirls has 8

And some characters still have insufferably long combos, in addition to great resets. I hope you like sitting in hitstun for 10 seconds, trying to figure out when the reset that will keep you in hitstun for another 10 will come.

gently caress you, Squigly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wasn't there something with the kickstarter supporters getting mad that the training mode for skullgirls came out before the art gallery? I remember that being a thing but can't find anything online.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Checking in with the monthly reminder that IaMP is better than <insert currently discussed game here>.

Short combos, pressure strings with bullet cancels and high jump cancels are open ended and varied, the best dash input scheme, one of the best / most interesting meter systems with the spirit bar (recharges quickly, opponents can do direct damage too it, is utilized by nearly everything) that forces a really interesting pacing to matches, first of the caster netplay games to get rollback based netcode.

Ground combos are usually very short. Most bnb's and high damage combos are based on situational air to air setups, and one of the primary goal of pressure strings and ground hits is to try and set up these situations instead of directly opening up for damage.
Best "burst" like mechanic. Rechargeable bombs act like bursts, but only at neutral (eg: GG blue burst), during a combo (eg: gold burst), or during blockstun. Cannot burst out of hit. Regaining bombs requires points earned by cancelling opponent bullets or knockdowns.

Bullet / graze system forms an entirely different core gameplay loop than the traditional attack/block/throw system that every other game uses.
Bullet cancel system, and the projectile / graze focus makes the actual pace of making decisions very high compared to many games, even though most normals are on average slower than most games.

Most importantly, it has by far the most satisfying and infuriating counterhit noise and particle effect. Guaranteed to instill absolute rage in your opponent.

Minor problem in that trying to get into the game now against the few people still playing will make you feel like you, your family, and any future children yet to be born were brutally murdered. Eh, details.
And like most anime-ish games, the girl with the sword is an rear end in a top hat (though not top tier).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Wasn't there something with the kickstarter supporters getting mad that the training mode for skullgirls came out before the art gallery? I remember that being a thing but can't find anything online.

I think art gallery was far more in demand than something useful like replays, maybe thats what youre thinking?

Edit: I asked about replays in streamchat and Mike Z sounded very upset about how they had to work on art gallery first.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 10, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gutcruncher posted:

I think art gallery was far more in demand than something useful like replays, maybe thats what youre thinking?

That could be it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Art gallery was also obviously gonna come first becaus it needed way less programming (in fact I think the system was pretty much already ready) and programming's always been their main bottleneck.

Thnaks for all the answers about resets, I think I'm getting a clearer picture now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
gently caress all other games, play Cyberbots

Vampire Savior and Super Turbo are cool too

drat, 1994 was a good year for Capcom

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

animatorZed posted:

Checking in with the monthly reminder that IaMP is better than <insert currently discussed game here>.

Short combos, pressure strings with bullet cancels and high jump cancels are open ended and varied, the best dash input scheme, one of the best / most interesting meter systems with the spirit bar (recharges quickly, opponents can do direct damage too it, is utilized by nearly everything) that forces a really interesting pacing to matches, first of the caster netplay games to get rollback based netcode.

Ground combos are usually very short. Most bnb's and high damage combos are based on situational air to air setups, and one of the primary goal of pressure strings and ground hits is to try and set up these situations instead of directly opening up for damage.
Best "burst" like mechanic. Rechargeable bombs act like bursts, but only at neutral (eg: GG blue burst), during a combo (eg: gold burst), or during blockstun. Cannot burst out of hit. Regaining bombs requires points earned by cancelling opponent bullets or knockdowns.

Bullet / graze system forms an entirely different core gameplay loop than the traditional attack/block/throw system that every other game uses.
Bullet cancel system, and the projectile / graze focus makes the actual pace of making decisions very high compared to many games, even though most normals are on average slower than most games.

Most importantly, it has by far the most satisfying and infuriating counterhit noise and particle effect. Guaranteed to instill absolute rage in your opponent.

Minor problem in that trying to get into the game now against the few people still playing will make you feel like you, your family, and any future children yet to be born were brutally murdered. Eh, details.
And like most anime-ish games, the girl with the sword is an rear end in a top hat (though not top tier).

a single match in that game lasts 10 minutes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

animatorZed posted:

Every time people start talking about IaMP's systems and poo poo, my eyes just glaze over and my head hurts for a bit.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

IaMP is really loving good and also impossible to get into.

Unfortunately after IaMP and EFZ, Tasofro hasn't made a fighting game worth talking about.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I don't see why option selects are necessarily bad, I mean you should try to avoid going overboard but something like a typical fierce/throw is fine imo.

They aren't, there are all kinds of different OSs, some for offense, some for defense, and they range from extremely minor things you do all the time to really ridiculous things that break the game. They can improve a game or make it worse, it just depends on what they do, how good they are, if there are options to beat them, if they make the game more or less interesting, etc etc etc.

Edit: Talking about fighting games in general, not specifically Skullgirls.

Spermgod posted:

Depends on the characters involved. Some characters (Alice, Meilin) have super lovely offense so matches can last forever because nobody can loving hit each other. Then you get character like Patchouli who guard crush you twice and you die.

animatorZed posted:

That's really more than a minor issue. The game's player skill curve is loving gigantic, and most of the stuff you know from other fighting games doesn't even apply to IaMP. Really cool game though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

animatorZed posted:

So, why IaMP, and not SWR/Hisoutensoku?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NuclearPotato posted:

SWR/Hisoutensoku got way more goofy and silly, with tons of random effects and card game mechanics and poo poo. IaMP is the purest fight game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then why is Mei Ling such rear end?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Then why is Mei Ling such rear end?
racism against the chinese

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
guys when is senko no ronde

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

NuclearPotato posted:

SWR originally was really really lovely. Weather sucked, the dash out of blockstun mechanic was horrible for gameplay, lots of things were very broken, etc. It was like Brawl to IaMP as Melee. Soku and later patches addressed a lot of problems, kind of like Project M did for Brawl, but that doesn't keep IaMP/Melee from being the much better game overall.

Also I have to say the level of customization in SWR is just terrible for a fighting game in general. It's akin to the gem system fro SFxT but even more egregious. Your super meter was spent on cards that are drawn from a deck you create before the match, and the decks are unique for every character. I think any amount of customization you can't perform at character select screen is generally a really bad idea. Also getting supers at random and the pseudo-random weather system where every few seconds the rules of the match completely change is pretty lovely for a fighting game honestly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Endorph posted:

racism against the chinese

Find me a Street Fighter game where a Chinese character isn't top tier

Like, I know the Japanese still feel guilty about the rape of Nanking and other war crimes in WW2, but what a weird way to express an apology

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

inthesto posted:

Like, I know the Japanese still feel guilty about the rape of Nanking and other war crimes in WW2, but what a weird way to express an apology

arcade sf4, alpha 1, sf2/ce, 2nd impact

chinese characters just happen to end up top tier toward the end of any game's lifecycle. coincidence??????

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chinese characters just happen to end up top tier toward the end of any game's lifecycle. coincidence??????

Sometimes they forget to make them buff and need to release a new version to fix that mistake, it happens.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tbf, SFA1 wasn't really a Street Fighter game so much as a beta that was playtested by Japan's five meth addicts

e: Now that I think about it, SFA3 didn't have any Chinese characters in the top tier either, did it

inthesto fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 11, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mained Suwako in Hisoutensoku.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

i said 'racism against the chinese' because meiling is chinese and is the worst character in IaMP

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Spermgod posted:

This hasn't been true since 2009. Metagame has changed quite a bit since then.
They're not short, granted. Definitely longer than most games. But the super long matches rarely happen anymore as pressure and offense have gotten very strong, and pure keepaway is basically impossible against someone familiar with the movement mechanics.

NuclearPotato posted:

Basically a thousand small reasons. The randomness is a bit overstated. I never got that into it them, but the general feelings those who did and came back are: Its more the openness / largeness of stages, repeated homogenizing of anything interesting through patches, and changes / differences to how pressure mechanics / defense work and the much weaker penalties for getting guardcrushed. Basically the flow of matches at medium / higher levels just doesn't feel as good.
The random elements are icing on the cake, but not really the core issue people ended up having.

SWR/Soku are better if you want to see your favorite frilly hat girl put different colors on the screen, though. They're not really bad, they just lose a lot of what made IaMP feel really interesting somehow.

Ultima66 posted:

SWR originally was really really lovely. Weather sucked, the dash out of blockstun mechanic was horrible for gameplay, lots of things were very broken, etc. It was like Brawl to IaMP as Melee. Soku and later patches addressed a lot of problems, kind of like Project M did for Brawl, but that doesn't keep IaMP/Melee from being the much better game overall.

Yeah, that's a decent summary. The weird interaction between more prevalent seamless blockstrings necessitating border escape (dash out of block), the low penalties for border escape, the resulting emphasis on escape baiting, and all that combined with mid to fullscreen bullets being basically worthless due to screen size and 8 way dash and fly created a weird flow.
Not all of that is still in after the latest patches.

e:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's really more than a minor issue. The game's player skill curve is loving gigantic, and most of the stuff you know from other fighting games doesn't even apply to IaMP. Really cool game though.

Yeah, I know. I was being a bit facetious there. Its a ridiculous mountain to climb.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 11, 2014

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
iamp sux xrd is the god game

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't think it's the new player barrier (though it obviously exists) that's the problem with IaMP, there's just not enough players to get quality practice. I think I've played Animator two or three times and I got crushed because those were the only times I played someone experienced with Patchouli in like a two-year period (in a game with 11 characters).

If I was Japanese I would have grinded the game, but 'grinding' in IaMP is like an hour of two of doing actual work and then someone connects but your brain is stuck in programming mode and then you die.

On the other hand mauve is a wizard or something because unlike every other game I've played, the netplay consistently works so that was a huge bonus. I would have played more but my wrists started protesting every time I tried to fight game, which doesn't happen as much with ST oddly (it's because I play low IQ charge characters :unsmith:)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Redmark posted:

but 'grinding' in IaMP is like an hour of two of doing actual work and then someone connects but your brain is stuck in programming mode and then you die.

Umm, well, you see, its really more like...
Actually yeah...

Its like, 5 people at most and our schedules don't even line up and we all miss each other. Whelp.
:negative:

Redmark posted:

On the other hand mauve is a wizard or something because unlike every other game I've played, the netplay consistently works so that was a huge bonus.

This is very true.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

all your games are bad and taskmaster is the best

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

My favorite fighting game is Gundam EXVS and it owns real hard, all other fighting games get out. No finger puzzles just lasers and dashing everywhere, the most anime of games.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Toss me a request and tell me your name so I know it's you and I'll accept.

mharrold, sent an request.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Peacock is really fun in Skullgirls. Resets are braindead and Skullgirls is all about the resets.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Peacock and Cerebella's 'tudes are the best things about skullgirls

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Peacock is an rear end in a top hat. But her design and animations are amazing.

Signed a Cerebella player

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dj Meow Mix posted:

My favorite fighting game is Gundam EXVS and it owns real hard, all other fighting games get out. No finger puzzles just lasers and dashing everywhere, the most anime of games.

mharrold, sent an request.

Cool man, I went ahead and added you to the group and you should be in once an admin approves it.

Also it would be awesome as gently caress to play EXVS but I've been able to convince approximately 0 people to play it.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Explodo super is a reversal too isn't it? Been a while since I've played. Just Defend, Guard Cancel and GC Assist are really your best friends obviously. I consider it a reasonable tradeoff for how many free guard crush -> 50% life setups she gets

Seen one really good player use the Yuki assist to get people off him and convert into pressure/combos, but that's a LOT of work to learn the specifics of where the snowflakes fall. Can't remember off the top of my head but there are some other decent assist options for VS rushdowns. Yuma maybe?

Satsuki is pretty solid. 5D as a guard cancel leads to decent no-assist combos.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Cool man, I went ahead and added you to the group and you should be in once an admin approves it.

Also it would be awesome as gently caress to play EXVS but I've been able to convince approximately 0 people to play it.

Maybe with the PS4 we can finally get a version with 4p splitscr- hahaha who am I kidding the Japanese arcade industry would never allow that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maybe with the PS4 we can finally get a version with 4p splitscr- hahaha who am I kidding the Japanese arcade industry would never allow that.

I got mine used so I can't even play it online. D'oh.

Although seriously, it's dumb as poo poo that a game balanced around 4 players is restricted to 2 per console. When I played it with my roommate I just gave each of us a random NPC helper of a certain point value.

• Locked thread