Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tae posted:

And tell that to Street Fighter, Marvel, all the mobas, all the fps games, etc. I don't know if you know this or not, but competitive games are all about abusing a glitch, unforseen consequence or something similar unless it gets a patch.

And only matter to a very tiny percentage of players, so knowing or not knowing it changes nothing unless are you said .01 percent players.

Do you think that this is a good thing?

Personally I prefer elements that were actually designed for those games, moreso than oversights that require unintuitive or downright controller-straining inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What inputs do you consider controller-straining? Melee (or playing Lucas in P:M) is like the most input-intensive fighter I can think of and even then the controller bottleneck is the rubber on the joystick wearing off over time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lurdiak posted:

Whoops. I was thinking of the SNES Pac Man game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBM4_uL18ho

The... speed-run... of this game at AGDQ was hysterical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBPEMcrz58

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RyokoTK posted:

The... speed-run... of this game at AGDQ was hysterical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBPEMcrz58

Yeah this vid owns, everyone should watch it (and play Pac-Man 2, preferably with friends).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mabels big day posted:

I don't know if it's the 3DS controller, or just the fact that I don't have the muscle memory for it, but I'm awful at doing tilts, because I always end up doing a smash at a completely inopportune moment instead. I hope it is just the controller, I'd like to be better at actually using the right moves.

You also have to take into account the lag, so many times I'll try and do a Smash and the connection reads the inputs wrong and buffers a tilt instead or vice versa.

Kajeesus posted:

Yes because once you grasp those concepts and apply them the game is a lot more fun because you've opened a whole new door of options to mess around with. This is where the depth comes from. This game is already being dissected and glitches are being found to give players the advantage.

Kajeesus posted:

Personally I prefer elements that were actually designed for those games, moreso than oversights that require unintuitive or downright controller-straining inputs.

Cool, so you're not part of the competitive scene; it isn't for you.

sigher fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 11, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, how did the conversations start? Neither Fox nor Falco are on the stage, and no taunts were done. If they just trigger on their own, that'll get really annoying really fast, they cover the damage display and Fox's voice is horrendous.

That said, Peppy just telling Slippy to go eat a missile was hilarious.

I'm just as bad. Hopefully having an actual controller will help us both. The 3DS, for how good SSB4 is on it, doesn't work well as a controller, it is very bad at discerning if you're doing Up or Side, for instance, which can gently caress you over big time on recovery.

The video description says you just need to taunt, don't know why we don't see any actual taunting.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

mabels big day posted:

I don't know if it's the 3DS controller, or just the fact that I don't have the muscle memory for it, but I'm awful at doing tilts, because I always end up doing a smash at a completely inopportune moment instead. I hope it is just the controller, I'd like to be better at actually using the right moves.

Don't tilt the circle pad all the way to the edge. Just tilt halfway, not riding against the hole it emerges from.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kajeesus posted:

But you are not a player that will spend hundreds of hours playing in high-stake tournaments, why would you care?

And answering your question, you are assuming programmers craft the absolute perfect fighting system which has absolutely no exploitable bugs or mechanics that weren't intended which happens...like never, outside of patches.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Callick posted:

Don't tilt the circle pad all the way to the edge. Just tilt halfway, not riding against the hole it emerges from.

it just feels unnatural to do this, so I can't effectively do it in a match.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can appreciate the idea that a game shouldn't have glitches but I mean, like, that's a pretty unrealistic goal. And it only makes sense that some of those glitches will be useful for people who are trying to get an upper hand. Melee had plenty of non-useful glitches, like the absolutely hilarious Black Hole glitch, it just happened that airdashing into the ground at an angle ended up being something that helped people. DACUSing and wavebouncing in Brawl (and Smash 4) is another example, and there's plenty of others depending on how you want to stretch the definition of the term "glitch."

It'd own if all these were outlined in an in-game tutorial, but actually maybe it wouldn't - When those mechanics start being clearly laid out it insinuates the designers expect you to know about it on some level. The two groups I see care most about glitches are the people who think high level play looks dumb or people who got beat by one or two of their friends over and over who practiced when no one else in the group did (and they attribute that to stuff like wavedashing); Explaining these mechanics in-game would only make the second group have more problems since most of them weren't interested in playing the game at that sort of level anyway. If you are interested in improving your game like that, well, the internet is a powerful tool and is always up to date, so if something is discovered post-release it gets spread around, this isn't really something you could do with in-game notifications short of patching in notes (which lol @ nintendo doing that).

e: clarified a bit

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 11, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

it just feels unnatural to do this, so I can't effectively do it in a match.

I know the feeling, I wish there was a button I could bind to always do an f-tilt instead of a dash attack. Eventually I just got used to it but I still gently caress it up more than I'd like to admit.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Also Pacland stage was designed not out of love but make a laughing stock out of Namco daring to make a sidescroller platformer

To be fair, at the time of its release there weren't very many sidescrolling platformers made, and most weren't very good. Super Mario Bros. wasn't out until a year later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy god Fox's voice is so bad in that stage. I'm gonna have to remember to NOT taunt during the stage so I don't have to hear that poo poo in what looks like one of the coolest stages ever in Smash

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This should have been the Pacman stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdOyef8PYzs

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mercury Crusader posted:

To be fair, at the time of its release there weren't very many sidescrolling platformers made, and most weren't very good. Super Mario Bros. wasn't out until a year later.

There were sidescrolling platformers before Super Mario Bros?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

There were sidescrolling platformers before Super Mario Bros?

Well clearly there was Pac-Land.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

You also have to take into account the lag, so many times I'll try and do a Smash and the connection reads the inputs wrong and buffers a tilt instead or vice versa.

Yes because once you grasp those concepts and apply them the game is a lot more fun because you've opened a whole new door of options to mess around with. This is where the depth comes from. This game is already being dissected and glitches are being found to give players the advantage.

Cool, so you're not part of the competitive scene; it isn't for you.

what exactly are you trying to argue, again?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inflammatory posted:

what exactly are you trying to argue, again?

That limiting the game for the sake of the masses and complaining about advance techniques is kinda dumb.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

That limiting the game for the sake of the masses and complaining about advance techniques is kinda dumb.

Yeah gently caress the masses.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

My favorite thing about that is that they removed Krystal from the team completely.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Countblanc posted:

I can appreciate the idea that a game shouldn't have glitches but I mean, like, that's a pretty unrealistic goal. And it only makes sense that some of those glitches will be useful for people who are trying to get an upper hand. Melee had plenty of non-useful glitches, like the absolutely hilarious Black Hole glitch, it just happened that airdashing into the ground at an angle ended up being something that helped people. DACUSing and wavebouncing in Brawl (and Smash 4) is another example, and there's plenty of others depending on how you want to stretch the definition of the term "glitch."

It'd own if all these were outlined in an in-game tutorial, but actually maybe it wouldn't - When those mechanics start being clearly laid out it insinuates the designers expect you to know about it on some level. The two groups I see care most about glitches are the people who think high level play looks dumb or people who got beat by one or two of their friends over and over who practiced when no one else in the group did (and they attribute that to stuff like wavedashing); Explaining these mechanics in-game would only make the second group have more problems since most of them weren't interested in playing the game at that sort of level anyway. If you are interested in improving your game like that, well, the internet is a powerful tool and is always up to date, so if something is discovered post-release it gets spread around, this isn't really something you could do with in-game notifications short of patching in notes (which lol @ nintendo doing that).

e: clarified a bit

There are plenty of competitive games that don't have glitches, or have the exploitation of glitches explicitly banned though. If you need some really good real world examples, look at actual sports. Soccer isn't the most popular game in the world because it has high level exploits that competitive players use (with the notable exception of over playing injuries), it's the most popular game in the world because the only difference between your friends and a world cup level team is skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

My favorite thing about that is that they removed Krystal from the team completely.
Which is weird, since she was in Brawl.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pac-Man 2 is awesome, and I'm sad that smug Pac-Man wasn't a taunt

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rorus Raz posted:

Pac-Man 2 is awesome, and I'm sad that smug Pac-Man wasn't a taunt

Smug Pac-Man would look really weird with his classic design though. Also that taunt would need walking for full effectiveness, which isn't something taunts do.

Which doesn't change the fact that that thing is amazing.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mabels big day posted:

Countblanc posted:

I know the feeling, I wish there was a button I could bind to always do an f-tilt instead of a dash attack. Eventually I just got used to it but I still gently caress it up more than I'd like to admit.
Same here. There's nothing more aggravating than missing an easy KO because you used a smash attack when you meant to do a tilt, or vice versa.

I'm actually glad it's not just me, I had been wondering if there was some secret to always correctly doing a tilt/smash and I just didn't know it, or if it was the 3DS that was part of the problem. (I try to avoid jumping to the "it's the controller" excuse because 90 95 times out of 100 it's not the controller that's the problem.:v:)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 11, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Misandu posted:

There are plenty of competitive games that don't have glitches, or have the exploitation of glitches explicitly banned though. If you need some really good real world examples, look at actual sports. Soccer isn't the most popular game in the world because it has high level exploits that competitive players use (with the notable exception of over playing injuries), it's the most popular game in the world because the only difference between your friends and a world cup level team is skill.

Holy moly

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fade5 posted:

Same here. There's nothing more aggravating than missing an easy KO because you used a smash attack when you meant to do at tilt, or vice versa.

I'm actually glad it's not just me, I had been wondering if there was some secret to always correctly doing a tilt/smash and I just didn't know it, or if it was the 3DS that was part of the problem. (I try to avoid jumping to the "it's the controller" excuse because 90 95 times out of 100 it's not the controller that's the problem.:v:)

I think really good players just practice a lot with controlling the circle pad. Even so, watching tournaments, the players whiff their recoveries from time to time by a mis-input.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

soccer doesnt have glitches because soccer happens in real life

real life doesnt have glitches

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also it's hilarious to me that someone would site Real Life Competitive Sports, a thing that's INCREDIBLY insular and notoriously difficult to break into, as an example of a good and pure meritocracy, while saying that fighting games - those things you can literally go to tournaments for and meet the best players in the world and even play against them in pools - as crazy poo poo that no earnest, fun-loving mortal could comprehend.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Also it's hilarious to me that someone would site Real Life Competitive Sports, a thing that's INCREDIBLY insular and notoriously difficult to break into, as an example of a good and pure meritocracy, while saying that fighting games - those things you can literally go to tournaments for and meet the best players in the world and even play against them in pools - as crazy poo poo that no earnest, fun-loving mortal could comprehend.

Well i mean, who the hell is going to go to a real life video game tournament?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

Well i mean, who the hell is going to go to a real life video game tournament?

You are, when I get through with you, fucker.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

You are, when I get through with you, fucker.

Will we..... settle it in smash?!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Full Master Fortress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siyfTPU6T10

Spoilers duh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

Which is weird, since she was in Brawl.

It's not weird that they removed Krystal. She is terrible and appeals to furries and is a central part of the worst Starfox game ever. It is however surprising that they removed her, because she appeals directly to furries and lord knows they are a very real part of Nintendo and Smash's market space.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It's not weird that they removed Krystal. She is terrible and appeals to furries and is a central part of the worst Starfox game ever. It is however surprising that they removed her, because she appeals directly to furries and lord knows they are a very real part of Nintendo and Smash's market space.
uhm shes just a lady fox

i mean her design in adventures was dumb but her design in assault and command was pretty normal

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's it? I'm not that mad I can't go through it with a friend now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

That's it? I'm not that mad I can't go through it with a friend now.
What were you expecting? It's just another phase of the Master Core fight, not a full mode or anything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mind the walrus posted:

She appeals to straight furries

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endorph posted:

uhm shes just a lady fox

Did you forget the part where fox looks at her through a pink filter while sexy sax music plays? She's pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

What were you expecting? It's just another phase of the Master Core fight, not a full mode or anything.

Something a little more involved then dodging Smash Run enemies and hitting lights.

• Locked thread