Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If I already bought the house and the car, can I be a dick to debt collectors?

Why wouldn't you be a dick to them? Just watch out that you don't reset the statute of limitations by promising to pay, paying a little, etc.

It isn't dick-like to demand they prove you owe them the debt and things like that. Dick like is asking them to take off their underwear or where does their wife/husband gives the free BJs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

seacat posted:

Can any of the legal types in this thread shed some light on how sex crimes came to be viewed so differently from any other type of crime (at least in the US)?

In addition to everything other people have said, the past crimes evidence part mostly makes sense to me in light of the fact that it's way, way harder to prove intent and circumstances of a sex crime than a robbery, drug deal, or murder. You might have physical evidence of sexual contact, but not of rape. The fact that guy x like to do rapes should probably be admissible in a trial to determine whether guy x's sex act with girl y was a rape.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

blarzgh posted:

I can't believe there is a discussion about $13.00.

This is par for this thread.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

euphronius posted:

Do you guys think preparing copying and mailing docs is free or something. No one is making money off of the copies.

I plead the fifth.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

seacat posted:

I read this post in the lawyer thread:

Can any of the legal types in this thread shed some light on how sex crimes came to be viewed so differently from any other type of crime (at least in the US)? Like for example, why is there a sex offender registry but not a murderer registry or a drug dealer registry or a kidnapper registry? Or the quote above, it presumably was passed to "aid" prosecution of sexual crimes but if you sadistically torture and murder someone under 18 they won't consider "evidence of prior criminal acts" because no sex was involved? How did this all come to pass?

I totally understand that many sex crimes (not talking about teenagers sexting each other or taking a piss in public) are some of the most horrible and twisted crimes imaginable. But why the special treatment? Was there some blanket law passed by the federal government and the states had to comply or something..?

(disclaimer not asking for advice/not a defendant/don't know any, just been curious about this for some time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Megan_Kanka

Megan's Law, yes. Poor girl had a convicted sex offender move in down the street, who then proceeded to rape, murder, and then rape her a few more times after she was dead, and dump her body in a local park. (I was a kid at the time, but IIRC he didn't exactly hide the body either)

There are some issues with the registry, like when people who get exposure cases for pissing in public, or a former coworker's brother who wound up on it for "sexual acts against a child <13 y/o" (he was 12, and knocked up his 11 year old girlfriend. Failure of parenting for sure, but not really of the same class as "rapes and murders 3 month olds") but on the whole, it does at least make parents aware that hey, you may not wanna let that creepy looking guy down the street babysit, and you may wanna make sure your kids know not to go inside his place.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

AA is for Quitters posted:

but on the whole, it does at least make parents aware that hey, you may not wanna let that creepy looking guy down the street babysit, and you may wanna make sure your kids know not to go inside his place.

And that they may want to form a posse to do whatever they can to make that new guy really unwelcome in your neighborhood. A friend of mine had someone on the registry move into the neighborhood. The neighbors distributed flyers, held a meeting, even tried to convince my friend to open a daycare out of her house so he'd be forced to move away.

Really think the Supreme Court got it wrong in Smith v. Doe where they decided it wasn't an unconstitutional ex post facto punishment because the intent theoretically wasn't punitive. Claiming it isn't punitive ignores human nature.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Sometimes, no posse is needed:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/10/23/3583307/in-miami-dade-sex-offenders-are-relegated-to-outdoor-encampments/

In any case, from what I've seen, the research tends to show that 1. the recidivism rate for sex offenders is relatively low, and 2. mandatory registration laws have no effect on that rate.

For example, Megan's Law was cited:

quote:

Megan’s Law has no effect on community tenure (i.e., time to first rearrest). Megan’s Law showed no demonstrable effect in reducing sexual re-offenses. Megan’s Law has no effect on the type of sexual re-offense or first time sexual offense (still largely child molestation/incest). Megan’s Law has no effect on reducing the number of victims involved in sexual offenses. Sentences received prior to Megan’s Law were nearly twice as long as those received after Megan’s Law was passed, but time served was approximately the same. Significantly fewer sexual offenders have been paroled after the implementation of Megan’s Law than before (this is largely due to changes in sentencing). Costs associated with the initial implementation as well as ongoing expenditures continue to grow over time. Start up costs totaled $555,565 and current costs (in 2007) totaled approximately 3.9 million dollars for the responding counties. Given the lack of demonstrated effect of Megan’s Law on sexual offenses, the growing costs may not be justifiable.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/225370.pdf

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 7, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit edit: ^^^ drat, beat me to it.

Was it Ft. Lauderdale that passed a law requiring people on the registry to live more than 1000ft from any school, playground, or bus stop, or something like that? The end result was that they either had to leave the city or live under a bridge that was like the one location that qualified.

Edit: It was actually Miami, Ft. Lauderdale is the place that made it illegal to feed the homeless hoping that would force them to leave.

Why isn't there a :florida: emoticon?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Megans Law is some of the worst bull poo poo in the USA.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Ashcans posted:

Why isn't there a :florida: emoticon?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
How not to do the law, reddit edition:

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2lkgbt/hoa_in_colorado_foreclosed_on_my_home_i_paid_over/

quote:

I really need some help here. So if there are any law school/lawyers that read this I need to know what options I have if any.

The hoa was not in compliance with a new law that went into effect on January 1, 2014 HB 1276 and by not in compliance I mean they did not update their old policy which made no mention of the possibility of a 6 month payment plan. Nor was I ever made aware of the option of paying the $1684 over 6 months. The letter I received from the hoa did not state the option or include instructions on entering into a payment plan. These are the two changed that were required as of Jan 1. 2014 before the hoa was to go forward with any attempt to collect debt or send any home owner to collections or to a lawyer for foreclosure. Both of which they did to me.

I informed the hoa board as well as the lawyer of my discovery of the missing required policy updates as well as the failure to mention my option of a 6 month repayment plan. I asked the board if all of their policies and bylaws were current and online, or if they had hard copies that might not have been uploaded online. I received no response. The lawyer got upset on the phone and instructed me to "not tell him about law as that was his job" I took detailed screen shots and downloaded each and every document that the hoa had available on its website, which was a good thing because the hoa has now changed the Policy for Collection of Debt on their website to a policy that is almost in compliance with the law now. Nonetheless when they turned my account over for foreclosure in January they were not in compliance, nor did the letter that I received mention the option of 6 month payment plan.

Ok so I have still only received the one notice from the court. Nothing from the attorneys office at all. My house was sold to the Hoa last week for the total of the judgement plus attorneys fees and what not. $5600 now. In colorado the hoa has super lein priority so in cases such as mine where I am not behind on my mortgage and the mortgage company was not foreclosing and with the hoa foreclosing first the hoa gets the full amount of the judgement plus the extra fees that the lawyer tacks on. There is no owner right of redemption and all second leins are completly knocked out. So my mortgage company has been getting the runaround from the attorneys office and they have still not gotten a invoice for the total amount due, I had my father go down with $7000 cash to the lawyers office yesteday 11/6/2014 and he was told that the lawyer has been on vacation all week and he has the file with him...he also tried to go pay the hoa but no one was at the property managers office at 2:00 PM. So we will see what today brings.

Here are my questions. I have filed a motion to set the default judgment aside stating the fact that I was never personally served as the reason. Also I filed my answer at the same time stating the fact of the non compliance of the hoa to HB 1276 as reason to invalidate the lawsuit. I am waiting for the answer from the hoa and then the judge to rule on the motion to see if I can challenge the hoas ability to start these proceedings.

My law questions finally.... If I pay the amount due to the hoa (who now owns my home) will I be able to sue anyone or somehow recoup the money that was awarded on a lawsuit that according to state law should not have been allowed to even be turned to the attorney.

Also this is debt starting in 2004. Should I amend my answer to the court to ask the amount due to the hoa and asked for in the lawsuit is not a valid amount due to Colorados 6 year statute of limitations? If the statute of limitations assumption is correct will my paying to get my house back stop me from being able to use that as reason for the court to dismiss the lawsuit? If the answer is yes, then what if my mortgage company pays the $5600 to the hoa and adds it to my loan, can I still use the statute of limitations on the hoa debt older than 6 years as grounds for dismissal, since I wouldnt be paying directly myself.

Or are do all of the arguments become invalid if anyone pays to satisfy the judgment to the hoa. Because in reality if I was not a couple of days away from eviction I would not even consider paying the judgment and would wait for the judge to rule and if that was not in my favor I would take the court of appeals route to fight this because (and please tell me if Im wrong) I believe I have mulitiple valid reasons for this to be unwound and re assessed. Help please.

Mistakes this guy made:

- Buying a house in an HOA.

- Apparently not paying HOA fees for 10 years

- When they foreclose on his house, instead of immediately getting a lawyer, takes some screenshots of some legal forums I guess, sends them to the HOA's lawyer to which the lawyer replies "uh gently caress you"

- For some reason sends his dad to pay the back-dues instead of doing it himself? I don't know.

- Asks Reddit what motions he should be filing.

I think the last one is the coup de grace. Reddit is telling him to get a lawyer thank jesus. I do hope he ends up winning despite himself because well, gently caress HOAs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

If im right, this is in Texas and honestly, for a dumb poo poo, he's right about a few things. The problem is he royally hosed up everything else.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

The problem is he royally hosed up everything else.

gently caress up #1: living in Texas

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Texas is Great.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Texas is Great.

-People who live in Texas, and ONLY people who live in Texas.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy reddit Co coop guy has a case?!?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Texas is Great.

Especially if you're on the side of money.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

If im right, this is in Texas and honestly, for a dumb poo poo, he's right about a few things. The problem is he royally hosed up everything else.

He mentions being in Colorado.

His big problem is thinking that the few fuckups by the hoa will somehow unwind final judgments for his unclean hands, or that a court of appeals will care about justice or something.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Crazy reddit Co coop guy has a case?!?

Well, he had a case on the grounds that this new breed of statute generally permits injunction against foreclosure or sometimes a statutory wrongful foreclosure claim... until he missed deadlines, failed to show up to Court, didn't file an answer, got a default against him, didn't file suit to stop the foreclosure, didn't call his mortgage company, missed the deadline to appeal, didn't talk to the HOA, and generally cherry picked a singular notion ("they didn't give me a payment plan!") and decided he would just believe in the power of that idea, and magically everything would take care of itself.

He's Pro Se Jesus.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He mentions being in Colorado.

Ah. Texas passed the same thing.

Edit: it went into effect, Jan 2013.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 8, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Well, he had a case on the grounds that this new breed of statute generally permits injunction against foreclosure or sometimes a statutory wrongful foreclosure claim... until he missed deadlines, failed to show up to Court, didn't file an answer, got a default against him, didn't file suit to stop the foreclosure, didn't call his mortgage company, missed the deadline to appeal, didn't talk to the HOA, and generally cherry picked a singular notion ("they didn't give me a payment plan!") and decided he would just believe in the power of that idea, and magically everything would take care of itself.

so... you're saying he has a case?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They all do. We have a lady that comes in every 6 months or so and tells me, "We got 'im now, Blarsh!" with a new insane theory of how she's going to nail her brother-in-law to the wall. The last time it was something about how he had "the title to his mom's car in his name, but he never used that car... his SISTER DID!"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That reddit thread consists of fifty comments saying "get a lawyer" and the guy arguing that he can do it himself.

Feels familiar.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That reddit thread consists of fifty comments saying "get a lawyer" and the guy arguing that he can do it himself.

Feels familiar.
He also argues that he would have been paying his $30 (per year? per month? It isn't clear) HOA dues if only he had known about them, as he could totally afford the $300 a month NFL TV package. Oh and that he could have paid up at some point and been okay but decided against it because he apparently seems to be immune to good advice.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Cruseydr posted:

He also argues that he would have been paying his $30 (per year? per month? It isn't clear) HOA dues if only he had known about them, as he could totally afford the $300 a month NFL TV package. Oh and that he could have paid up at some point and been okay but decided against it because he apparently seems to be immune to good advice.

His handle is ajsoprano

Could not be more perfect

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

From a lawyers perspective, what is it like going up against an HOA? Is it always going to be some drawn out convoluted case, or do they go pretty quick? What is the win/loss rate?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

From a lawyers perspective, what is it like going up against an HOA? Is it always going to be some drawn out convoluted case, or do they go pretty quick? What is the win/loss rate?

It depends on what you're doing. I've litigated against 3/4 over the years in Texas. One suit was to enforce deed restrictions, because the board was trying to let one of the wealthier residents subdivide a lot. That one took awhile.

Straight-up foreclosures are 90 days at the most.

Dealing with them on rando civil matters like "oh, we need to change these park rules" or something can be a 3-6 month affair.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Dealing with them on rando civil matters like "oh, we need to change these park rules" or something can be a 3-6 month affair.

How does something like that even end up in litigation? Is it good for a lawyer when something takes that long?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

How does something like that even end up in litigation? Is it good for a lawyer when something takes that long?

I use litigation to mean contention, not necessarily a lawsuit. And obviously, anything that takes a long time and a lot of billable hours is good for a lawyer.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I split up with my common law 2 months ago. I agreed to let her have all my furniture in exange of 500$ because I felt pity for leaving her behind and with Financial problems.
As of today 2 months later, things got out of hand. She got a boyfriend 10 days after the break up and he is living with her as we speak, pretty much using everything I own.
We made a verbal deal and shook hands on it prior to knowing about the boyfriend.

I still didnt get the money.

My question is, can I send her a notice asking to be paid within the next 2 weeks or else I will reclaim ownership of my things and go pick them up?

I live in Alberta Canada.

(Edit) I should mention that I left for well over 4000$ Worth of furnitures appliances and pretty much everything I house need.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 11, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Frog 1.0 posted:

I split up with my common law 2 months ago. I agreed to let her have all my furniture in exange of 500$ because I felt pity for leaving her behind and with Financial problems.
As of today 2 months later, things got out of hand. She got a boyfriend 10 days after the break up and he is living with her as we speak, pretty much using everything I own.
We made a verbal deal and shook hands on it prior to knowing about the boyfriend.

I still didnt get the money.

My question is, can I send her a notice asking to be paid within the next 2 weeks or else I will reclaim ownership of my things and go pick them up?

I live in Alberta Canada.

Why do you think she was your common law wife?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

blarzgh posted:

Why do you think she was your common law wife?

We signed paper stating we were common law, but that's with the military. I have no idea if those papers are worth anything on the civilian side.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Frog 1.0 posted:

We signed paper stating we were common law, but that's with the military. I have no idea if those papers are worth anything on the civilian side.

How long were you together? Kids?

From this page: http://www.slsedmonton.com/family/common-law-relationships/

quote:

The Matrimonial Property Act, the provincial law which governs the division of property of married people does not apply to common-law partners.

I'm not a lawyer I just like googling things

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Frog 1.0 posted:

You probably have a more complicated issue than just, "can I send a letter."

I mean, nothing is stopping you from sending it, but if you were married for legal purposes, you don't have a simple breach of contract situation.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Frog 1.0 posted:

Sure, you can do that.

It will have zero effect. But you can do it.

She's not paying you, and she's keeping the stuff if she can get away with it. You're not in the "write a stern letter" phase of the relationship, you're in the "go grab my stuff in a way that doesn't get the police called" phase.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Devor posted:

How long were you together? Kids?

From this page: http://www.slsedmonton.com/family/common-law-relationships/

I'm not a lawyer I just like googling things

No kids, 6 years.

She basically called the cop on me last night when I tried to talk to her and her boyfriend.

It trully is not about the money, and I really don't care if she's allowed to have some of my stuff or not since we lived together for 6 years. She's gonna have to fight for it and she most likely won't.

They are making 150k a year together(all military)

Edit: Thank you for that link, it resume well what I wanted to see. Basically I can reclaim all my belongings without having any issues.

So I guess my last question is that a verbal deal as no legal value what so ever?

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 11, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It does if you can prove it happened and what the terms were. The best way to do that, of course, is to write down the terms and have both parties sign the document.

You're about to take on a heap of trouble for $500.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If the total contested property is $500 or the furniture equivalent thereof, that's an extremely cheap divorce.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Legal value is sort of squirrelly. Yes, it had some value. Yes, the contact is valid and enforceable (in most of the states). It can be the cornerstone of your lawsuit.

In the us, suing an individual for 500 is worthless, because the judgment is likely unenforceable, and the cost/benefit analysis is way in favor of dropping it.

Ultimately, in cases like this, there is nothing to be done. Cops dont enforce contracts; courts will take too long, cost too much, and get you a piece of paper that days you win!

A large number of my clients think that law and justice in civil courts is a thing that exists. It really isn't 99% of the time. As we often say in this thread, figure it out civilly and hope she's not an rear end in a top hat. Otherwise, probably best to move on. I'm sorry you're likely to lose money and property. Please don't get arrested getting anything back.

Also, maybe Canada is different?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Frog 1.0 posted:

No kids, 6 years.

She basically called the cop on me last night when I tried to talk to her and her boyfriend.

It trully is not about the money, and I really don't care if she's allowed to have some of my stuff or not since we lived together for 6 years. She's gonna have to fight for it and she most likely won't.

They are making 150k a year together(all military)

Edit: Thank you for that link, it resume well what I wanted to see. Basically I can reclaim all my belongings without having any issues.

So I guess my last question is that a verbal deal as no legal value what so ever?

IANAL but i'm going to spell out what they're saying real blunt like. This is not worth the contest. They're not going to pay or give up the items without a fight. Either take them to small claims court or chalk it up as a $500 mistake not to get involved with crazy bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sever.