Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Playing as Detroit in After the End has been some of the most fun I've had with CK2. I'm only twenty or thirty years in and I've already had to fend off three subjugation wars. (!) I've survived by the skin of my teeth thanks to the fat dough I'm pulling in and the mercenaries I'm constantly hiring.

Now that it's settled down, it's time to return the favor. Michigan will be mine. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Schizotek posted:

So in an iron man game in the 769 start I played as the duke of Mann, and formed a merchant republic. There's no other great families besides my own, and the game crashes if I click the laws tab. What the gently caress happened? Also I'm rich and have all of the monies. All of them.

Are you using the beta patch?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Nope. Also just fixed itself when I usurped the nontitular Isles duchy. I think the game was thinking I was a county level republic due to the titular title.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think what he was getting at is you should use the beta patch. The release patch hosed republics up, beta fixed them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, I am currently the only Mediterranean Merchant Republic in my game because all other disbanded and became regular duchies. Happen twice to me too, but I can reload.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So on the beta patch any tips for a new merchant republic? Formed kingdom of Lithuania, reformed rumanov faith and made it a merchant republic. Never played a repblic before though so could do with a quick heads up if anyone would be so kind.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Upgrade your mansion as quickly as possible. It raises your trade post limit which will net you more money (For more upgrades).

Focus on building as many trade posts as you can, then upgrade them. You wanna land grab(Sea grab?) as soon as possible.

You can designate a new heir for the next election, HOWEVER there are some caveats you should be aware of:
- Older guys tend to have more prestige than younger guys. So while your 18 year old Doge might live a long time, its really hard to get him in that position without spending a lot of money first (money which you will be making hand over fist later, but in the early game, it might be more at a premium)
- You can only designate an heir once per lifetime so dont goof up.
- Like any problem, murder helps. Kill all the opposition and you will have an easier time propping up your younger heir when his competition is all children (Who can't win).

Edit: - Losing an election sucks and is boring because it limits what you can do until you get elected again but it does have one nice perk, you can take over the trading posts of other patricians, which you cannot do as Doge.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm pretty sure you [most definitely] can revoke all honorary titles, including designated heir now. [Since 2.1]

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 10, 2014

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Why, yes, maybe my ghost son SHOULD join me in a hunt!

I had one of the Catholic holy orders asking for my dead son to join them in (or settle a debt). I quickly consulting him and then said yes, his corpse would definitely want to join up. (He had died several years earlier, before the debt)

Hreinhold posted:

I'm pretty sure you can revoke all honorary titles, including designated heir now.

Unless one of the beta patches changed it, you can now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hreinhold posted:

I'm pretty sure you can revoke all honorary titles, including designated heir now.

You could do it in 2.1.6. Did something change in 2.2?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jedit posted:

You could do it in 2.1.6. Did something change in 2.2?

No, you can still do it... :confused:
It was introduced in 2.1, I think.

sloshmonger posted:

Unless one of the beta patches changed it, you can now.

Beta patches haven't changed this.

Did I phrase my post badly, it was in response to this:

RagnarokAngel posted:

- You can only designate an heir once per lifetime so dont goof up.

Hreinhold posted:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

THE BAR posted:

Why, yes, maybe my ghost son SHOULD join me in a hunt!

I got a chuckle last night when I ransomed a prisoner and simultaneously got them complaining about their prison cell. The pop up replaced the usual options with 'Didn't I just release you?'

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I kinda wish more was done with the religious tolerance traits. Like, the way you get them now is so rigidly circumscribed that it may as well not exist - you might get it if you're personally converted, or if you go on pilgrimage as a christian you have a very slight chance of getting tolerance towards jews or muslims, or the learning-oriented muslims will probably get tolerance towards christians and jews.

Maybe if you're not zealous and you have people of another faith in your court, you should have a chance of an event where the two of you discuss religion, and each gets a choice about becoming tolerant of the other's faith (or alternately, a chance of being repelled by it and becoming zealous). Or if you have wrong-faith trade posts in your demesne. Or if you're ruling over wrong-faith provinces. Something to make them a little bit more common in areas where multiple faiths converge.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The problem with Shattered is that nobody else tries to expand. I'd love to see a shattered mod with an aggressive AI, love seeing how things blob out rather than being the only blob around.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
This is rather odd. I'm playing HIP, and there are some Shia holy order castles in Egypt that I can't attack - the CB shows up in the menu, but I can't go through with it, meaning that it's a can_use_gui issue. That section of the de-jure barony CB is:

code:
can_use_gui = {
	ROOT = { NOT = { has_character_modifier = emf_peace_pledge } }
	FROM = {
		OR = {
			holy_order = no
			NOT = { religion = ROOT }
			NOT = { has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham" }
			ROOT = { has_landed_title = e_byzantium }
			ROOT = { has_landed_title = e_roman_empire }
		}
	}
}
I'm not Shia, so obviously, it should be allowed under the NOT = { religion = ROOT } line. But in-game, the popup for that shows

(X) Grand Headmaster Ilija of Saqaliba
(X) Have not religion Shia

i.e., it's checking that he doesn't have his own religion. Which makes no sense at all, given the code there. What the heck is going on?

edit: What's doubly odd is that I can declare a de-jure barony claim against a khazar sunni holy order that has a castle in a different province. :iiam:

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 10, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

The problem with Shattered is that nobody else tries to expand. I'd love to see a shattered mod with an aggressive AI, love seeing how things blob out rather than being the only blob around.

I think the key to this is having power differences to make expanding an attractive option. I tried out a game where I put every province on the map back to whatever their first listed holding was only, and gave them 7 as max holdings, as well as setting all non-temples to tribal.

Reims started off as a one holding theocracy surrounded by tribals with six empty holdings(extra levies) and immediately had multiple wars of aggression declared on it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

CK2+ had a "Reign of Princes" module, which broke the world up into duchies and the small kingdoms. Someone should touch it up, add the various non-Abrahamic religions all over the place, etc. (yeah, easy to say I know) because it was :krad:. The AI deals a lot better with creating realms when they start with a duchy and neighbors of varying sizes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

CK2+ had a "Reign of Princes" module, which broke the world up into duchies and the small kingdoms. Someone should touch it up, add the various non-Abrahamic religions all over the place, etc. (yeah, easy to say I know) because it was :krad:. The AI deals a lot better with creating realms when they start with a duchy and neighbors of varying sizes.

also make everything tribal. and small kingdoms like, leon. nothing bigger. and no double dukes.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

The solution to this is creative console use. Grant duchies, give money, switch around and kill people off. If there's a good duke around, switch over and console him a kingdom.

Set up some weird ahistorical power blocks, like the kingdom of the Mediterranean isles, or a strong Ghana, or even just create megadukes, then just sit back and play the game.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Strudel Man posted:

For that change, I guess it wouldn't actually be that bad. Check out action_inquisition in common\job_actions.txt. One of the first lines is

FROM = { NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group } }

To allow reformed pagans to proselytize, you probably would want to change that to

FROM = { is_reformed_religion = yes }

From looking at the other connected events, I don't think anything else actually needs to be altered.

So I actually finally tried this, and it doesn't work. I still can't proselytize outside of my realm, but I also lost the last button on the actions row (the spread tech one, I think). Oh well, I'm not too broken up about it if no one else has any ideas.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm starting to become pissed off at the whole tribal system. Can't play the eastern Slavs because you can't raid (for money) and thus have no cash to upgrade your poo poo. Can't play the Saxons because either the Norse or Charlemagne himself will come after you and revoke all your poo poo. Everything takes forever, Elective Gavelkind fucks you every couple of years, it's buggy and all around not fun, especially the more interesting starts like Saxony or Avaria. Of all the events they bothered to create, they couldn't make one for the Saxon Wars so the player can use the event troops to keep the Franks at bay? Bah.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Imo tribals should have carte blanche to raid whoever the gently caress they want whether they follow the same religion or not and I'm adding that into the shattered tribal thing I'm working on.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I think that's added in the beta already, so tribes in the British isles can actually do something. I was raiding other germanics just fine yesterday.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
So I'm just getting my teeth into this game and yet I really don't understand how I am meant to be able to achieve anything. The Abbasid Caliphate is a ludicrously unstoppable juggernaut, an empire that controls about 50% of the game's world whilst also having infinite political stability (Shia Islam doesn't exist in this game, and so the Caliphate has had just one tiny civil war in about 300 years of game time so far) combined with total military dominance that means the game is probably the most ludicrously imbalanced strategy game I've ever played.

Is there some cheat I can use to break up the Abbasids?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rycalawre posted:

So I'm just getting my teeth into this game and yet I really don't understand how I am meant to be able to achieve anything. The Abbasid Caliphate is a ludicrously unstoppable juggernaut, an empire that controls about 50% of the game's world whilst also having infinite political stability (Shia Islam doesn't exist in this game, and so the Caliphate has had just one tiny civil war in about 300 years of game time so far) combined with total military dominance that means the game is probably the most ludicrously imbalanced strategy game I've ever played.

Don't try to learn the games with the Charlemagne or Old Gods starts; they're harder unless you want to start as a massive blob. Start in 1066. If you want to cheat to break them up organically, do the following:

Press ~ to pull up the console
Input 'charinfo' to show character ids on portrait mouseover
Find the caliph's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### as the caliph's id
Attempt to imprison all of the caliph's biggest vassals until all vassals have -100 opinion of him
Input 'add_trait imbecile'
Input 'gold -10000'
Find the sultan of Egypt's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### as the sultan's id
Go form an Independence faction
Input 'add_diplomacy ###### +25' with ###### as the sultan's id
Find you own character's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### your character's id

All of those are without single quotes. That should massively fragment the Abbasids and leave you with some organic new kingdoms.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rycalawre posted:

If you are just getting into the game you should play from 1066 or (maybe) 867. Challenging the 769 Abbasids is not really supposed to be the first thing you try to do, and the 769 start is brand new anyway so things like the rise of the Shiites might not be working properly. Don't write the whole game off because you had a bad experience playing in an area of the world that is supposed to be very difficult to survive, though. There's a lot more to the game than just ramming your head against the Muslim clown car, so either start in an area where you're unlikely to ever come up against the Abbasids until you are also ludicrously powerful, or choose a start date that is better balanced.

Edit: By 1066 the Abbasids are a sad little miniature version of themselves that you might enjoy crushing, too.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 11, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mortuus posted:

So I actually finally tried this, and it doesn't work. I still can't proselytize outside of my realm, but I also lost the last button on the actions row (the spread tech one, I think). Oh well, I'm not too broken up about it if no one else has any ideas.
That sounds like it might be an issue with mismatched parenthesis. Did you replace it exactly as quoted, or might there be an extra { or } somewhere now?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is it possible to convert to local religion as Caliph?
I just want to cheese Zoroastrian as Abbasids in Charlemagne start. I put my capital in a Zoroastrian province, but no option to convert religion. Do I need to destroy the caliphate title first?

e: yeah the wiki says you can't be a head of religion

Baxate fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 11, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Does anyone know if the exporter has been updated to work with the llatest version of EU4? Also, i know the last patch added winter to ck2, does the map transition through seasons now like it does in eu?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Are allies bugged or something? I called all my allies into an invasion of Mali, but they're just sitting their doom stacks uselessly in their respective capitals unmoving.

Dec 30, 2008

illectro posted:

I got a chuckle last night when I ransomed a prisoner and simultaneously got them complaining about their prison cell. The pop up replaced the usual options with 'Didn't I just release you?'

This is probably the most elegant handling of a bug I've come across in a video game.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Strudel Man posted:

That sounds like it might be an issue with mismatched parenthesis. Did you replace it exactly as quoted, or might there be an extra { or } somewhere now?

Exactly as quoted. I made sure the amount of parentheses was the same.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

fool_of_sound posted:

Don't try to learn the games with the Charlemagne or Old Gods starts; they're harder unless you want to start as a massive blob. Start in 1066. If you want to cheat to break them up organically, do the following:

However, you want to do all this paused. Press the pause button first, do all this, then unpause, otherwise the AI will probably do stupid poo poo to your old character.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is truce breaker diplo penalty one that steaks stacks? I want to speed up biting bits of Muslim Iberia off.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Press ~ to pull up the console
Input 'charinfo' to show character ids on portrait mouseover
Find the caliph's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### as the caliph's id
Attempt to imprison all of the caliph's biggest vassals until all vassals have -100 opinion of him
Input 'add_trait imbecile'
Input 'gold -10000'
Find the sultan of Egypt's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### as the sultan's id
Go form an Independence faction
Input 'add_diplomacy ###### +25' with ###### as the sultan's id
Find you own character's character id
Input 'play ######' with ###### your character's id

All of those are without single quotes. That should massively fragment the Abbasids and leave you with some organic new kingdoms.
Yea, these are a lot of effort and if you mistype, you gameover.

You know what's easy? 'event 91000', which triggers a decadence revolt. Then you do that three times, maybe doing 'religion [leader of decadence revolt] whatever (finnish_pagan_reformed is good for a laugh) and culture change so folks is more likely to pick independence afterwards.

Then console kill the leader that wins to get rid of the strong claims, kill again, then play as the heir and do 'decadence 100'.

Oh, and granting and creating kingdoms, which the AI won't do by itself unless it absolutely has to, then just granting independence. (Change religion if they don't wanna or pick awful vassals of wrong religion if you can! It's fun!)

Low effort and actually works on all blobs! Haha, gently caress you Karlings, these random new schmucks may have your lands but they at least aren't allied.

Oh, and my fav traits to give assholes are inbred, weak, cruel, craven, dwarf, kinslayer, lunatic, possessed and slothful. Between these, the AI will be crazy, hated and unlikely to have offspring, tends to bow to factions and imprisons, tortures and basically does bad poo poo to vassals. Rebellion follows shortly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Both karlings are alive in my current game, they're also both possessed. Still allied though.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Strudel Man posted:

I kinda wish more was done with the religious tolerance traits. Like, the way you get them now is so rigidly circumscribed that it may as well not exist - you might get it if you're personally converted, or if you go on pilgrimage as a christian you have a very slight chance of getting tolerance towards jews or muslims, or the learning-oriented muslims will probably get tolerance towards christians and jews.

Maybe if you're not zealous and you have people of another faith in your court, you should have a chance of an event where the two of you discuss religion, and each gets a choice about becoming tolerant of the other's faith (or alternately, a chance of being repelled by it and becoming zealous). Or if you have wrong-faith trade posts in your demesne. Or if you're ruling over wrong-faith provinces. Something to make them a little bit more common in areas where multiple faiths converge.

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, so I started writing some events for it (sympathy traits for foreign merchants, sympathy traits for lover's religion, etc.). I'm rather new to event writing, but what I've found so far is that the biggest annoyance is that there's no condition like "is_tolerant_of" or something like that - in other words, if you want to keep a tolerance event from firing for someone who's already tolerant, you have to spell out each case ("don't run this event if the trade post owner is muslim and you have the sympathy_muslim trait," "don't run this event if the trade post owner is christian and you have the sympathy_christendom trait," and so on for all six religion groups).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mortuus posted:

Exactly as quoted. I made sure the amount of parentheses was the same.
Hm. I don't have a save handy with a reformed faith, but I'll fiddle something up to check.

edit: Making only the change I suggested, as reformed Romuva, I can send my diviner out to other realms, and I get the proper response events from their rulers. All three job actions are available. Don't know what to tell you.

Actually, are you running 2.1.6, or 2.2? I'm avoiding the update because it sounds pretty unfun for the most part. It's hard to imagine how that would have changed in such a way to cause the effects you describe, but maybe.

Glass Hand posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, so I started writing some events for it (sympathy traits for foreign merchants, sympathy traits for lover's religion, etc.). I'm rather new to event writing, but what I've found so far is that the biggest annoyance is that there's no condition like "is_tolerant_of" or something like that - in other words, if you want to keep a tolerance event from firing for someone who's already tolerant, you have to spell out each case ("don't run this event if the trade post owner is muslim and you have the sympathy_muslim trait," "don't run this event if the trade post owner is christian and you have the sympathy_christendom trait," and so on for all six religion groups).
Oof. Yeah, that's ugly. I guess the most effective way would be a block in the target character's scope

code:
NOT = {
	OR = {
		AND = {
			religion_group = christian
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_christiandom }
		}
		AND = {
			religion_group = muslim
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_islam }
		}
		AND = {
			religion_group = pagan_group
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_pagans }
		}
		AND = {
			religion_group = zoroastrian_group
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_zoroastrianism }
		}
		AND = {
			religion_group = muslim
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_islam }
		}
		AND = {
			religion_group = jewish_group
			ROOT = { trait = sympathy_judaism }
		}
	}
}
Can't think of a way off the top of my head to get it more efficient than that.

edit: Oh! Unless - have you tried checking for opinions? I don't actually know if this would work, but if they don't have sympathy, the target should have opinion_infidel on them, and vice versa. It should be gone (or at least, it doesn't show in the UI or appear in the calculation of final opinion) if they are sympathetic. So you might be able to just use

code:
has_opinion_modifier = { who = ROOT  modifier = opinion_infidel }
To verify that the target is someone of whom the root is intolerant.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2014

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Any idea why my ironman saves keep getting corrupted/altered a little while into a game? I was using save and quit when I exit, but is that what causes it? I was assuming I wouldn't be allowed to save in a way that would corrupt/alter it and stop getting achievements. Also, all of my cloud saves are just corrupt data and even if I delete them they just come back as corrupt, even when I wasn't playing ironman. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: Oh! Unless - have you tried checking for opinions? I don't actually know if this would work, but if they don't have sympathy, the target should have opinion_infidel on them, and vice versa. It should be gone (or at least, it doesn't show in the UI or appear in the calculation of final opinion) if they are sympathetic. So you might be able to just use

code:
has_opinion_modifier = { who = ROOT  modifier = opinion_infidel }
To verify that the target is someone of whom the root is intolerant.

I did think of looking for opinions, but I didn't think of looking for an absence of opinions. That's a really good idea, and I'll try writing an event that way and seeing if it works.

• Locked thread