Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Roll roll roll roll roll roll 85 total roll roll "gently caress I clicked past it" roll roll roll roll roll roll rollroll roll rollroll 85 total roll roll roll "gently caress!!" Roll roll roll roll roll

I'm glad gaming has moved on from these systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

duckfarts posted:

It's not free anymore, but this RGB Express game is a really good puzzle game so far.

Yeah I've been enjoying it, only problem is that it takes a while for the difficulty to really ramp up. I didn't get stumped on any puzzles until the 5th group of cities.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like the Subterfuge game in theory, but holy poo poo is poo poo slow. Last night at 7pm I sent some subs to a super lose neighboring outpost and today (it's noon) it still says 14 hours more. What the poo poo.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hahaha bitcoin billionaire is amazing. A created a character with a monocle, fedora, and neck beard. Then started investing in lottery tickets. It is basically a silly cookie clicker but with graphics and even sillier concept.

I can't wait till I invent holographic dating :allears:

Edit: oh no the market crashed and my lottery tickets, comic books, and collectible action figures are worthless for the next 5 minutes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ridge Racer Slipstream is IGN's Free Game Of The Month for November.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
Bitcoin Billionaire also has more ads than American Football. Sure they are all opt in, but after watching about 5 videos in the first half hour I was so done.

mphill
Nov 14, 2004

ASK ME HOW FAR LEBRON'S DICK CAN FIT INSIDE MY MOUTH

MissMarple posted:

Bitcoin Billionaire also has more ads than American Football. Sure they are all opt in, but after watching about 5 videos in the first half hour I was so done.

So you watched five optional commercials instead of pushing decline and you're mad at the game for it?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

mphill posted:

So you watched five optional commercials instead of pushing decline and you're mad at the game for it?
"We're taking away a third of your money unless you watch an advert"

A thing the game literally does.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Congratulations, it looks like you've learned about Bitcoin.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

MissMarple posted:

"We're taking away a third of your money unless you watch an advert"

A thing the game literally does.

I haven't found that to be much of an issue, personally. It's usually only a few minutes worth of clicking to get it back, especially if you take the multiply-your-tap-reward spam offers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gay skull posted:

:siren: Bioshock has ads in the newest update. So don't update. :siren:

I paid $15 for a game that pricedropped four days later and now has ads in the newest update, I'm gay I'm gay I'm gay

Everything about this is amazing. Mobile gaming. :allears:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
How do you justify $11 for an iOS game and still have ads

how

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone got tips on subterfuge? I'm reaching a point in a game I am where I feel like the bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy. Any idea of a good time to consider mining?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

MissMarple posted:

How's the game on battery usage? I ask because the only way it could be better is if it's using your phone to mine for the dev on top of the lovely ads.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's the closest thing to Progress Quest for the iOS? These games all seem like they require too much interaction. :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Baron Snow posted:

How's the game on battery usage? I ask because the only way it could be better is if it's using your phone to mine for the dev on top of the lovely ads.

Funny you ask that... I just powered on my 6+ and found I had under 20% battery, which JUST. DOESN'T. HAPPEN on the 6+ in a single day. Loaded up the usage and it says Bitcoin Billionaire has eaten 12% of my loving battery. Here's the kicker. I played 2 sessions each lasting no longer than 10 minutes.

What the gently caress. (I just deleted it.)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Feenix posted:

Funny you ask that... I just powered on my 6+ and found I had under 20% battery, which JUST. DOESN'T. HAPPEN on the 6+ in a single day. Loaded up the usage and it says Bitcoin Billionaire has eaten 12% of my loving battery. Here's the kicker. I played 2 sessions each lasting no longer than 10 minutes.

What the gently caress. (I just deleted it.)

Please let it have an embedded mining client.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've been playing République lately in an effort to actually play through and finish some of the larger games on my 5S to clear up space. It got its 3rd episode fairly recently, so I gave it a go.

Full disclosure, I got it many months ago when the first episode was $5 but season pass was on sale for $1 due to a Kickstarter flub. At full price for the base game and IAP unlocks it could tip the scales to $25 ($20 if you bought season pass instead of each episode piecemeal).

At first instance of the third episode dropping, I updated the base game and then tried downloading the new ep via the season pass. It wasn't there post-update so I had to wait until another update came down the line... 2 weeks later :thatscamoflaj:

After finally getting the third episode (last week) I note the app size has swollen to 3.3 GB. The second and third episodes are north of a gig each to download. This is kind of bananas, really. I would also note that upon finishing the first episode, and starting the second, I was notified that the second episode was out of date and had to be re-downloaded.

As for the game itself:
  • It is nice-looking and pretty nice-sounding, overall. The voicework is competent but the writing/plotting is pretty mediocre. Jennifer Hale does her best with what she's given but the material is pretty weak.
  • The UI and central game mechanic of jumping to different security cameras and hacking things remotely is novel and effective, although I'm admittedly playing on easy/story mode. I wish they had made it more clear that double-tapping a location makes the girl run, might have sped things up a bit.
  • The unlockable abilities and "battery" mechanic for them are interesting ideas in principle, but suffer from being largely not that useful in practice. The concept where finding collectibles give you the currency to buy unlockables is a good one but frankly you will find so many without really trying that you'll get more than enough currency to unlock everything without really trying at all.
  • The developer commentaries (as a result of getting the season pass) are not particularly interesting or compelling. I'm not a fan of them being audio-only, non-subtitled and accompanied by a repeating slide show that sometimes vaguely relates to what is being said. The recordings are "candid" passive logs of meetings, etc., and are accordingly not really well-suited for their implemented purpose. I vastly prefer the type and style that Zeboyd and Wadjet Eye use in their games.
  • The first two episodes are about an hour long, and that's about the right length for them. Starting the third it seems like I missed an escape sequence or something which is either annoying or sloppy.
  • The map function is well-done and useful but I wish it would display previously-explored or previously-used camera locations and let you jump into them from the map itself. Back-tracking through deserted areas can be very tedious as it is. The game is basically just a less direct point-and-click adventure.
  • I guess the map was added in the second episode- I can't imagine playing the game without it.
  • I'm midway through the second episode and the puzzles so far have been pretty much basic bitch tier. I think the Walking Dead might have had more head-scratchers, and that is a hilarious easy game.
  • I'm hoping the story gets fleshed out more as it goes, but it's basically stock-standard dystopian future sci-fi inside a facility so far.

Edit: I've discovered that although you can delete individual episodes past the first, deleting the second episode's data locks out access to the third entirely :thatscamoflaj:

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 10, 2014

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Feenix posted:

I like the Subterfuge game in theory, but holy poo poo is poo poo slow. Last night at 7pm I sent some subs to a super lose neighboring outpost and today (it's noon) it still says 14 hours more. What the poo poo.

Without actually having played it, I feel like the game would work better as an asynchronous turn based game (with a turn time set by the host) like most ios board game ports do. More flexible, less opaque, same playability for people with cluttered schedules.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

SynthOrange posted:

What's the closest thing to Progress Quest for the iOS? These games all seem like they require too much interaction. :v:

Godville but it's lovely garbage. Don't even bother. It's full of the worst of the worst internet jokes and catchphrases.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Agh just had a soul-crushing end to a Dream Quest run as Warrior. I was one kill away from level 10 and was pretty confident in taking on the floor 3 boss and then putting some serious hurt on the Lord of the Dream but I got wiped out by the same basic warrior type enemy twice in a row

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
As awesome as it would be if that BitCoin game had a miner stuffed inside, the battery usage is probably due to all the different ad networks they have in the game caching new ads all the time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bobfather posted:

Please let it have an embedded mining client.

If it doesn't i'd honestly be shocked. Ads in games eat a shitload of battery power though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If it doesn't i'd honestly be shocked. Ads in games eat a shitload of battery power though.

The reviews are hysterical. Tons of 5 stars reviews with generic paragraph texts. "This game teaches you how to manage money!"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

How does X-Com run on the iPhone 6?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yo, grab Puzzle Bandits. Best music I've heard in a free game for a while, and the match-3 mechanics are pretty dope.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Anyone played any good space trader type games out there? I've played the perennial suggestion Star Traders a ton, and I'm looking for something else that might scratch that itch.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Galaxy On Fire is like a really lovely Privateer/Freelancer but yeah, Star Traders is it. You can add space traders to the pile of ruined or ignored genres on ios.

e: Space Rangers 2 works ok with splashtop so there's that, I guess.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Figured. That's really sad, too. You could do a lot with piloting the ship from an iPad. Trace your combat path around, set targets for turrets/fighters, tap to mine, tap with two fingers to mine really hard...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Having played GOF on ipad and on PC, no, the controls are pure poo poo on mobile. It's just not meant for touchscreens. What's vaguely annoying to me is the expansion campaigns are mobile only and the PC port was two or four times as expensive. I'd totally buy a bad $10 privateer clone but not $20 for half of one.

so far as the draw a line to set your course and tap for targeting and stuff, that's basically the controls for Strikefleet Omega, a good game ruined by bad IAP. (so therefore not a good game)

but that control scheme really did work well!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Galaxy On Fire is like a really lovely Privateer/Freelancer but yeah, Star Traders is it. You can add space traders to the pile of ruined or ignored genres on ios.

e: Space Rangers 2 works ok with splashtop so there's that, I guess.

I really wanted to like Galaxy on Fire 2 but I just never could get in to it. I'm sure a mobile version of Star citizen will be announced eventually as part of Chris Roberts' vision for his MMOFPSFlightSimWorldBuilderRPGBrokenDream.

At least PC has a few smaller choices like Evochron Mercenary and maybe Darkstar One.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I wish that someone would release an iOS version of Elite 2: Frontier. Though I can see the control problems a mile off. I wonder if those keyboard covers an be used with games. I'd buy one to play Elite on my iPad.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Apocron posted:

Anyone got tips on subterfuge? I'm reaching a point in a game I am where I feel like the bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy. Any idea of a good time to consider mining?

Ah, you are one of the three active players left in one of the games I'm in. I think you could consider mining at any time, and probably should have about 24 hours ago, if not longer.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Yo, grab Puzzle Bandits. Best music I've heard in a free game for a while, and the match-3 mechanics are pretty dope.
For anyone considering this, it's a Puzzle and Dragons-like replete with different classes of heroes, levelling up, and the "match the right colour to get that hero to attack" mechanic. It's very slickly produced but unlikely to convince someone who wasn't already a fan of the genre.\

E: And an energy mechanic and the "get another one of the same dude to evolve" thing.

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 11, 2014

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Feenix posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier but despite this I still find in incredibly tense. I'm spending ages staring at an essentially static map agonising over decisions I won't be able to change but won't show results for half a day or more. I love it!

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

TACD posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier but despite this I still find in incredibly tense. I'm spending ages staring at an essentially static map agonising over decisions I won't be able to change but won't show results for half a day or more. I love it!

I enjoy that the pace is slow, but I feel that it could easily be even twice the speed without losing anything.

I usually end up dropping most multiplayer games because I am busy and they are too demanding on time/attention. On the other hand, I literally just plain forgot about Subterfuge. Waiting half a day or more for most actions just feels like too much to me. In the end, I am just a baby who wants faster gratification.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

topiKal posted:

I enjoy that the pace is slow, but I feel that it could easily be even twice the speed without losing anything.

I usually end up dropping most multiplayer games because I am busy and they are too demanding on time/attention. On the other hand, I literally just plain forgot about Subterfuge. Waiting half a day or more for most actions just feels like too much to me. In the end, I am just a baby who wants faster gratification.

Yup this happened to me and Soma steamrolled me. It would've been nice to get some notifications as he was slowly and methodically destroying me while I slept but I guess you have to turn on notifications per location or something.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

TACD posted:

I agree actually, though I've noticed I tend to forget about it sometimes, which could just be a problem I could solve by setting my notifications correctly.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have a feeling the notifications may not be working properly yet (for me at least) - I've tapped the 'alerts' thing on a sub several times expecting a notification when it arrives but haven't seen anything. Would be nice if you got an alert when somebody launches an attack on you as well.

Yes, I intend to do my duty as a tester and post all this on their forums ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind more notifications for subterfuge either