Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Michigan: Report from Hell is already kind of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Michigan: Report from Hell is already kind of that.

Michigan is another one of those games I can only play once.

What happened to that PS4/PS3 game that was supposed to be an interactive horror game in a cabin with 1000 endings or something?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So Silent Hill 4 isn't on the PSN store, is it? Wikipedia claimed it was and I got all excited, but it looks like it's not there. :(

I never got to play it, and even though a bunch of people hate it, I'd love a chance to try it out for myself some day. I mean I managed to force myself through Homecoming (and even enjoyed a few parts of it), so it can't be any worse than that, right?

If you have a backward compatible PS3, just hit up amazon. I think I got my copy for like...$10 or so?

Also, everything everyone has said about that game is true. It's so far the most frustrating experience I've had playing through the franchise, especially because there are moments and elements that are actually good, and then you meet the monster that burps or the loving wheelchair enemy.

Seriously, there have been moments where I was playing SH4 that I've legit enjoyed myself, and others where I'd rather be doing anything but playing it, and would quit if I hadn't committed myself to doing the franchise for a column. Also, if you do play it, have a guide at hand because you're not going to want to deal with any of SH4's bullshit.

I thought my relationship with SH3 was contentious, but that game is positively brilliant compared to the nightmare that has been SH4.

Also, I may throw myself through a window if I have to encounter another loving subway level in either Origins, Homecoming or Downpour.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

Idea for a game: you're that idiot in a horror movie with the camcorder but while surviving you also have to get the best shots ever. Decapitations, torture scenes, baby slugs hatching out of someone's head, it's all good. Everything happens in real time and you can miss stuff for added replay value. Just don't trip and drop your camera like the dumbass you always are.

Now someone give me a million dollars.
Slap together some animated gifs and Kickstart that poo poo

I got an email from the Among the Sleep creators that they'll be releasing some free DLC next week, it's supposed to be Wednesday.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

What happened to that PS4/PS3 game that was supposed to be an interactive horror game in a cabin with 1000 endings or something?

Until Dawn is still being developed and actually recently re emerged as being more than Sony vaporware.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Idea for a game: you're that idiot in a horror movie with the camcorder but while surviving you also have to get the best shots ever. Decapitations, torture scenes, baby slugs hatching out of someone's head, it's all good. Everything happens in real time and you can miss stuff for added replay value. Just don't trip and drop your camera like the dumbass you always are.

Now someone give me a million dollars.

Soooooo Dead Rising? Gotta get those Erotic bonus points.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

al-azad posted:

Speaking as a Michigander, I can agree. Also the game sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Soooooo Dead Rising? Gotta get those Erotic bonus points.

You can't miss the sex scenes, it means the killer is right around the corner.

Surprise twist ending: the killer is you, you staged your friends' doom and are recording a snuff film.

e: One of my favorite plot points in Vampire Bloodlines was the company selling real snuff films that they've been stealing from those flesh crafting vampires and you find their murder room.

I'd love a Truman Show-esque horror game. Kind of like a top-down strategy game like Ghost Master but you're those guys in Cabin of the Woods that orchestrate everything.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

You can't miss the sex scenes, it means the killer is right around the corner.

Surprise twist ending: the killer is you, you staged your friends' doom and are recording a snuff film.

e: One of my favorite plot points in Vampire Bloodlines was the company selling real snuff films that they've been stealing from those flesh crafting vampires and you find their murder room.

I'd love a Truman Show-esque horror game. Kind of like a top-down strategy game like Ghost Master but you're those guys in Cabin of the Woods that orchestrate everything.

The first Manhunt has a little of that though you aren't the one in control.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

If you're willing to like a couple of facebook pages you can get a steam key for this game for free at the moment: http://woobox.com/i5ksiu

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

axelsoar posted:

Speaking as a Michigander, I can agree. Also the game sucks.
But the game takes place in Chicago...also it's awful, so I agree on that front.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So the next Alone in the Dark is a co-op shooter? Goddamn I miss Survival Horror...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha wow this is sub-God Mode levels of bad. Holy crap http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/?snr=1_7_15__13

And speaking of bad, I just finished Knock-Knock and eeehhhhh. Even after I learned the rules of the game it was still kinda tedious as hell and by the end I just wanted it to be over. I liked what they were going for and the graphics and sound were great but it's just not a very fun game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how the developer is named "Pure FPS" and their first game is a third-person shooter.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hakkesshu posted:

I love how the developer is named "Pure FPS" and their first game is a third-person shooter.

Someone on twitter mentioned that their previous game was so bad they actually remade the company to get away from it.

Anyway speaking of Alone in the Dark, I bought the 2008 game during the steam sale and so far I like it.
I haven't gotten that far into it, just got out of the tunnels at the start of the park and everything is really wonky so I understand why people don't like it but honestly it has some nice ideas.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hel posted:

Someone on twitter mentioned that their previous game was so bad they actually remade the company to get away from it.

Really curious what their first game was now. Reminds me of how Saber Interactive created Oldschool Games to pump out the reskinned shitfests that were God Mode and RIPD. They were both just Inversion with a co-op arena focus and somehow even worse.

e: wow i brought up God Mode twice in two posts

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yodzilla posted:

Really curious what their first game was now. Reminds me of how Saber Interactive created Oldschool Games to pump out the reskinned shitfests that were God Mode and RIPD. They were both just Inversion with a co-op arena focus and somehow even worse.

e: wow i brought up God Mode twice in two posts

Looking around, they used to be Plastic Piranha and made Rekoil which I've never heard of but has a metacritic of 32. They claim to polygon that they've learned form their mistakes and rid themselves of the ones responsible for Rekoil, how much of that is true remains to be seen.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hel posted:

Anyway speaking of Alone in the Dark, I bought the 2008 game during the steam sale and so far I like it.
I haven't gotten that far into it, just got out of the tunnels at the start of the park and everything is really wonky so I understand why people don't like it but honestly it has some nice ideas.

Alone in the Dark 2008 is the best game since AitD 1. This doesn't speak highly of the series, I realize.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend me good, scary games on Steam that have controller compatibility? So far the only ones I've found are Outlast, Alien, and Amnesia:pigs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Jmcrofts posted:

Can anyone recommend me good, scary games on Steam that have controller compatibility? So far the only ones I've found are Outlast, Alien, and Amnesia:pigs.

Use the advanced search to look for the Horror and Full Controller Support tags. There's more than a few, quality not guaranteed :v: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=horror#sort_by=_ASC&tags=1667&category2=28&page=1

e: there might be more that aren't FULL controller support

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Was there not an AitD game in a style similar to REmake? So basically 2D backgrounds they spend a lot of time on to prettify, creating impressive effects for the flashlight and shadows. I never picked it up. Was it any good?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That was The New Nightmare. I think it's supposed to be a reboot of the franchise and I remember it receiving middling reviews when it was new http://store.steampowered.com/app/259190/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Thing is, original Alone in the Dark is a pretty bad game, but was still revolutionary at the time. I mean, the controls are awful, you move like a slug, goals and mechanics are pretty obtuse, and there are a lot of insta-kill moments. There's platforming, a gently caress-you moment if you don't have a particular object (if I remember right), and the final boss is a tree.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Was there not an AitD game in a style similar to REmake? So basically 2D backgrounds they spend a lot of time on to prettify, creating impressive effects for the flashlight and shadows. I never picked it up. Was it any good?

A new nightmare was classic survival horror for that era (around the time RE 3 came out), so if that's your thing I would definitely get it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

That was The New Nightmare. I think it's supposed to be a reboot of the franchise and I remember it receiving middling reviews when it was new http://store.steampowered.com/app/259190/

Yeah, at the time it was alright, but nothing special. It falls squarely into that middling survival horror game category that plagued the late 90s/early 2000s, e.g. Galerians, Countdown Vampires.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Looks like work on Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is going well, a demo should be out shortly. In the meantime, some Youtubers were given early access to it, here's HarshlyCritical's playthrough of the first and second night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7dogf0GTo. It seems a bit more frantic than before, and it doesn't seem clear when it is safe to remove the mask sometimes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently Five Nights at Freddys is A Thing for elementary school kids too. I work at a day care and theres a couple kids that keep asking to watch Five Nights at Freddys Markiplier videos on my phone. It's so weird.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Looks like work on Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is going well, a demo should be out shortly. In the meantime, some Youtubers were given early access to it, here's HarshlyCritical's playthrough of the first and second night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7dogf0GTo. It seems a bit more frantic than before, and it doesn't seem clear when it is safe to remove the mask sometimes.

Looks like a full-blown spinning plates game now. Keep the music box playing, keep the flashlight on Foxy, keep track of 5 animatronics, keep the mask up but not for too long, and so forth. I almost wonder if the franticness will reduce the scariness.

Len posted:

Apparently Five Nights at Freddys is A Thing for elementary school kids too. I work at a day care and theres a couple kids that keep asking to watch Five Nights at Freddys Markiplier videos on my phone. It's so weird.

One of the house's in the neighborhood had a Slenderman mannequin out front all of October. Truly, we are the real monsters.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

One of the house's in the neighborhood had a Slenderman mannequin out front all of October. Truly, we are the real monsters.

I remember in the paranormal images thread goons really wanted Slenderman to become a thing outside the forums. If only we knew then....

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Looks like a full-blown spinning plates game now. Keep the music box playing, keep the flashlight on Foxy, keep track of 5 animatronics, keep the mask up but not for too long, and so forth. I almost wonder if the franticness will reduce the scariness.

I blew their minds when they found out I new about Slenderman.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Streamers and youtube celebrities are big big big. But this generation of kids are weird. I was working in a 6th grade classroom and heard some kid say "alright alright alright" in a perfect McConaughey voice.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gann Jerrod posted:

Looks like work on Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is going well, a demo should be out shortly. In the meantime, some Youtubers were given early access to it, here's HarshlyCritical's playthrough of the first and second night

So does Foxy 2.0 actually attack you? Cause in his second night 2 video she just sort of hangs out in the security room like a ceiling buddy until Foxy 1.0 finally came and killed him.

I wonder if HC might have accidentally bugged out the "flashing lights confuses animatronics" mechanic with his constant frantic checking and put Freddie 2.0 and Foxy 2.0 in an indefinite holding pattern.

e: Okay at first I wasn't as freaked out by this game as I was the original but that nightmare sequence was genuinely creepy. :stare:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 11, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Gann Jerrod posted:

Looks like it's going very well because it's just straight up out on Steam right now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ovaries posted:

Looks like it's going very well because it's just straight up out on Steam right now.

:psyduck: how does he churn them out so fast, isn't it one guy doing all the work?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dtmbgNtTAc

What the poo poo :staredog:

S A V E T H E M

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 11, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I think I'll be happy watching an LP of this one. :catstare:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Having played the game, I can honestly say that out of all the new animatronics the Balloon Kid is by far the most annoying. I can deal with jumpscares but the little poo poo disables all the lights for the rest of the night once he's in with you and can't in any way be made to leave, which is essentially deadly from night 2 onwards as Foxy 1.0 is unstoppable without the flashlight.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tolth posted:

Having played the game, I can honestly say that out of all the new animatronics the Balloon Kid is by far the most annoying. I can deal with jumpscares but the little poo poo disables all the lights for the rest of the night once he's in with you and can't in any way be made to leave, which is essentially deadly from night 2 onwards as Foxy 1.0 is unstoppable without the flashlight.

Fuuuck, the LPlayer I watch is gonna get jumpscared so drat much...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can tolerate his gurning, Markiplier's doing a run (uploaded it just before the full game was out I think). I love this guy because he's so enthusiastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
That music box. :devil: