Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
TigerDirect seems to be clamping down on requests for game vouchers on orders made before 10/20. I know, 'just keep trying,' but I just got this in my inbox:

I do apologize for the inconvenience that we will not be able to honor your request for the game code for the Order Number: Jxxxxxxx.
We only only honor those orders that was place 10/20/2014 and onwards.

I am sorry for the matter at hand and thank you very much for contacting us.

I also emailed MSI and asked politely if I could possibly receive one from *them* as compensation for the inconvenience of having to buy another damned card. I'm expecting to be told 'politely' to gently caress off as their responsibility is terminated the second the rebate check is cut and mailed, but who knows.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FuturePastNow posted:

My new Geforce card gives me an option for TXAA over the old MSAA. Doesn't seem to look or perform any different to me, is there an advantage to this that I'm missing?

It's not great. It's like MSAA with some kind of frame blending. So like a blurrier MSAA basically.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TigerDirect seems to be clamping down on requests for game vouchers on orders made before 10/20. I know, 'just keep trying,' but I just got this in my inbox:

I do apologize for the inconvenience that we will not be able to honor your request for the game code for the Order Number: Jxxxxxxx.
We only only honor those orders that was place 10/20/2014 and onwards.

I am sorry for the matter at hand and thank you very much for contacting us.

I also emailed MSI and asked politely if I could possibly receive one from *them* as compensation for the inconvenience of having to buy another damned card. I'm expecting to be told 'politely' to gently caress off as their responsibility is terminated the second the rebate check is cut and mailed, but who knows.

Tbf MSI probably has no access to codes. The deal is run through nvidia and the stores. Not the manufacturer.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

deimos posted:

Is that really a $650 24" non 4K monitor?

Normally it would be but I got it for $350 AUD off eBay, which puts it at the same price as new TN 120hz monitors. It's a VA monitor that isn't slow as balls so it's quite a good deal imho.

I wouldn't recommend it for that price though. There are just too many problems with it.

Don Lapre posted:

What? full range has nothing to do with backlight bleed.

It does with the Eizo FG2421. The DisplayPort implementation is broken and it cannot output RGB full range without washing everything out. Which exposes backlight bleeding like mad.

It's a commonly documented problem. The two solutions are to put it in RGB limited (lol) or use DVI. But the Flex Display bullshit on my GTX 970 doesn't work the minute I plug a HDMI or DisplayPort hence why I'm asking if I'm missing something.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 9, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chafe posted:

It's a commonly documented problem. The two solutions are to put it in RGB limited (lol) or use DVI.

The other solution is to not spend money on no-name monitors that use snake oil as their main selling point...

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Jan posted:

The other solution is to not spend money on no-name monitors that use snake oil as their main selling point...

Eizo is a very well regarded display company in the professional sector. The monitor isn't snake oil either, it's very good and does what it's advertised - a VA monitor with all of its advantages and none of its main drawbacks.

That's besides the point. As I said, the DisplayPort implementation does not work so I have to use DVI, which is capable of RGB full range without any issues.

All I want to know is how Gigabyte's Flex Display port configuration works. If it is broken, I will return the card. If it isn't broken, what is the solution to getting it to work?

Edit: Flex Display is severely broken on the card I have. I have no idea what Gigabyte did but its completely ridiculous. After plugging things in and out, I've found that changing DVI ports will cause the GPU to restart itself, possibly reinstall itself, and change BIOSs. As in, the BIOS versions will be different depending on the DVI and DisplayPort ports you choose.

The problem is that this stupid switching behaviour occurs the minute I have any two monitors attached to any two ports and completely mess up my driver settings. Dunno if it impacts all cards but its something to be aware of it you want to get a Gigabyte GTX 900 card for the two DVI ports - it doesn't seem to be the most seamless implementation.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 9, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Lapre posted:

Tbf MSI probably has no access to codes. The deal is run through nvidia and the stores. Not the manufacturer.

Yeah, I figured as much, but I also figured there was no harm in asking. As it stands I'll get *one* voucher, but damned if I'm not going to do the bare minimum to try and get two. vOv

Also, for those on the fence of 'what 970 should I get noise-wise,' this video's pretty decent, even if it shows a few EU brands we can't get here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiVf9cmA9I

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 9, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BurritoJustice posted:

Is there a way of stopping chrome from preventing my cards downclocking? It is running at higher clocks when chrome is open than most DX9 games.
Settings -> Show advanced settings... -> uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available

Warning: this makes web browsing laggier and overall less pleasant, especially when dealing with html5 video. At least, that's my experience with Firefox.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

td4guy posted:

Settings -> Show advanced settings... -> uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available

Warning: this makes web browsing laggier and overall less pleasant, especially when dealing with html5 video. At least, that's my experience with Firefox.

Thanks for this. Would there be a way of using the hardware accel without the card clocking up to 3D clocks? I'm sure a 980 is overkill for chrome even at the idle clock of 126mhz (versus the 1200 or so it likes to run at).

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

I use NVIDIA Inspector's Multi Display Power Saver to keep GPU usage low and just add apps/games to its list when I want it to have full usage.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

My new Geforce card gives me an option for TXAA over the old MSAA. Doesn't seem to look or perform any different to me, is there an advantage to this that I'm missing?

Dogen posted:

It's not great. It's like MSAA with some kind of frame blending. So like a blurrier MSAA basically.

It's also more costly in terms of performance. Just use MSAA.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

td4guy posted:

Never experienced any kind of lag with hwa off. If your CPU can't handle HD video it may be time to upgrade. Way more likely to be a bug in FF.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
What is it with auto fan profiles being garbage? Lords Of The Fallen pushes the GPU to max constantly and eventually my Asus 670 gets to the high 80s and the display driver crashes, the fan maxes out at 55%. If I manually set it to 85% it doesn't get above mid 60s and it's almost unnoticeable over gameplay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For science, I went and benchmarked the temps on my two Zotac 970's in SLI with and without the metal sheaths attached. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

Both tests were in an open-air milk crate, in Heaven benchmark.

With sheaths, 172.8 FPS, Score 4353, about 74 degrees on the lower card and 91 degrees on the upper card (the one with the fans partially blocked by the other card).

Taking the sheaths off both, rebooting the PC and running the same test, I got 172.8 FPS, Score 4353, 76 degrees on the lower card and 91 on the upper.

In other words, no difference whatsoever.

Someone in the thread earlier was asking about weight of various 970 cards, this card is 510 grams with the sheath and 456 (exactly one pound) with the sheath removed.

It kind of sucks that the fan is kicking into hyperdrive on the 91 degree card even in open air. I'm almost thinking that the best non-reference SLI cooling solution might be to put a long card in the first slot (like the 3-fan Gigabyte 970), and using a short card in the second slot (like the single-fan Gigabyte 970) in the second slot, so that the first card has a couple fans that can work unimpeded. Does anyone think that's a good idea?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Carecat posted:

What is it with auto fan profiles being garbage? Lords Of The Fallen pushes the GPU to max constantly and eventually my Asus 670 gets to the high 80s and the display driver crashes, the fan maxes out at 55%. If I manually set it to 85% it doesn't get above mid 60s and it's almost unnoticeable over gameplay.

No idea, but I'm a big fan of setting up a curve in MSI Afterburner. Works a treat.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BurritoJustice posted:

Thanks for this. Would there be a way of using the hardware accel without the card clocking up to 3D clocks? I'm sure a 980 is overkill for chrome even at the idle clock of 126mhz (versus the 1200 or so it likes to run at).
Probably early-ish GPU drivers combined with Chrome being a piece of poo poo. With an older FF version my 6970 would spike up to ~40% load randomly, but the new FF version and the 290 and it barely registers.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

For science, I went and benchmarked the temps on my two Zotac 970's in SLI with and without the metal sheaths attached. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

Both tests were in an open-air milk crate, in Heaven benchmark.

With sheaths, 172.8 FPS, Score 4353, about 74 degrees on the lower card and 91 degrees on the upper card (the one with the fans partially blocked by the other card).

Taking the sheaths off both, rebooting the PC and running the same test, I got 172.8 FPS, Score 4353, 76 degrees on the lower card and 91 on the upper.

In other words, no difference whatsoever.

Someone in the thread earlier was asking about weight of various 970 cards, this card is 510 grams with the sheath and 456 (exactly one pound) with the sheath removed.

It kind of sucks that the fan is kicking into hyperdrive on the 91 degree card even in open air. I'm almost thinking that the best non-reference SLI cooling solution might be to put a long card in the first slot (like the 3-fan Gigabyte 970), and using a short card in the second slot (like the single-fan Gigabyte 970) in the second slot, so that the first card has a couple fans that can work unimpeded. Does anyone think that's a good idea?

As long as it isn't throttling repasting should bring the top card into comfort zone

I wonder if I should just go PNY this time around at least for the top card.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TigerDirect seems to be clamping down on requests for game vouchers on orders made before 10/20.
I got mine from NewEgg for a 970 I bought the last week in September, but the customer service agent made it clear that this was "an exception". The gravy train may be coming to a halt.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
A question on nVidia downsampling: I enabled it on my 680GTX and noticed it works really nice on the main monitor (1920x1200). However, if I mirror the image to my HDTV (making the monitor and the TV at 1080p) the option to enable downsampling is removed from the nVidia Control Panel. Is this a limitation of the TV, the card, or am I missing something? From what I read online, the 900 series is able to downsample to any monitor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's a limitation of mirroring. It doesn't do that if you treat it as a second or primary monitor.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Could I get $180 for a 660?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

ETPC posted:

Definitely not. 760s are down to $190 after rebate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ETPC posted:

Nobody in their right mind is going to pay 180 for a used 660 when you can get a 270X for as little as 150 and a 280 for about 190, sometimes less.

Find the cheapest equivalent performance current gen card, and undercut it by a fair amount to account for the card being second hand.

I think $100 would be the upper end of what you could expect.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Christ, really? $100 maximum?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ETPC posted:

I'm guesstimating, because I'm on my phone, but I'm pretty sure around $100 to 120 would buy you a brand new gpu that matches the performance of a 660. Depending on how old your 660 is, I probably wouldn't buy it at all. If it's less than say 2 years old, then maybe I'd pay 50 or 60 dollars for it, but honestly at that end of the price spectrum 50 dollars here or there is a pretty trivial amount of money to spend to get a brand new card instead, and I think the majority of people would rather do that unless you're dealing with someone desperately poor who needs a pc on the tightest possible budget.

If it were me I'd be donating it to a friend or younger sibling or something.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
My GTX670 died on me last night and I am in the market for a replacement. I was looking to upgrade soon anyway, as I'd like to pick up an Oculus Rift at some point. From what I've heard, you need a pretty beefy setup to keep Elite: Dangerous at a good frame rate with the Rift, and I'm wondering if the Zotac 970 will work. It has SLI support if i need to go that route, though I'd rather not go that route unless I really have to.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Coincidentally I was about to ask in here why that ^^ particular Zotac card is so much shorter (203mm!) than most other 970s.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Basticle posted:

Coincidentally I was about to ask in here why that ^^ particular Zotac card is so much shorter (203mm!) than most other 970s.

Short cooler and reference design PCB.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Well, hell. I just bought my Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 Oct. 25th, and just found out about the game promotion today. Micro Center, where I bought it, has a live online chat. Guess I'll hit that up tomorrow and see if they'll give me a code. Otherwise, I'll just take mine back and return it for cash, and re-buy the same card + free copy of Unity. Either way, I want my free game, dangit! I shouldn't get screwed for buying it 9 days early, imo. Especially when it's still within it's well within it's return timeframe. =p

Cerri fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 10, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ETPC posted:

Someone just sold a 660ti on SAMart for $100, so $100 would likely be a good sale for you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ETPC posted:

It's a model that's a few years old, used, and vastly outperformed by recent cards. If you can get $100 for it, that's a steal for you. I straight up gave mine to a friend who refuses to buy graphics cards, for free, because otherwise it would either be going on eBay where used ones aren't even getting bids for $50, or it would go in a box and be forgotten about with most of my other old computer poo poo that I can't sell.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I sold my 670GTX for 180 green queens a few weeks ago on eBay. Get what you can!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You think I can get $100 for my EVGA 560 with aftermarket arctic cooler? :ortiz:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 970 totally hosed us on resale

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

r0ck0 posted:

You think I can get $100 for my EVGA 560 with aftermarket arctic cooler? :ortiz:
You might have better luck just selling the cooler separately.

I saw someone buy 2x 670's on a forum the other day for $210. Resale value's shot to hell.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GTX 670 update: works great with 3 displays, got rid of my GT 210 and updated my drivers, all is well!

Xplosive
Apr 23, 2004

And he's bad as can.
I sold my R9 270X for $115. Just glad I was able to get something to put towards this glorious 970 GTX.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Has EVGA gotten their poo poo together with the 970 coolers yet?

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

ETPC posted:

Has EVGA gotten their poo poo together with the 970 coolers yet?

The FTW model review I saw on Anandtech looked fine since the block etc. were different from the lower end models. Their review was favorable especially with the updated firmware out that spins down the fans when not needed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So my computer's started, with increasing frequency, essentially doubling the display, causing everything to blur, and, just last night, started displaying scanlines. It's been happening under light load, with just a text editor and Firefox open, and with no OC. It doesn't correct until I reset the power, restarting it just causes it to hang on boot, with the display turning off from lack of signal. Is there any chance that isn't my graphics card (the MSI 970)?