Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

I just upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 28 gallon one. All I got right now are 7 zebra danio and a pelco, you guys have any idea what I could add to this now I got 13 extra gallons to play with?

a goliath african tigerfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Are you sure? I goggled that and some of those guys get big.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

Are you sure? I goggled that and some of those guys get big.

I was just joking. An 8x2 foot footprint is about the minimum with those guys.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Ok but seriously I'm thinking of getting another school of neon tetra this time and a single big fish but cant find anything that would be good. You have any suggestions?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I got a 30 gallon with 10 neon tetra, 6 sterbai corydoras, 3 dwarf gourami, 6 amano shrimp and I'll be adding a couple of apisto macmasteri and apisto cacatuoides at the weekend. It's a pretty nice mix of shoaling, bottom feeding, mid-range, cleanup and beautiful fish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gourami are a nice sized centerpiece fish, and you can get a half dozen dwarf loach or corys in that tank too for some bottom level fish. Why not just add more to your danio shoal too instead of adding a separate shoaling fish?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I think it would be nice to have a second school of fish but if it's a bad idea I can just get more danio instead. Do you think http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+966&pcatid=966 would be a good one to get and what type of loach or cory would you recomend?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also how bad of an idea is it to buy fish online.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, let me try to put this into perspective for you..

Now imagine your fish are in a similar box traveling across the country..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pearl gourami are pretty handsome, but you cant really go wrong with most. I hear pygmy gourami have health issues though. Loaches, chain or khulis are cute, though lhulis might just hide a lot. Corys are pretty peaceful and you cant go wrong eith most as long as you dont get the giant species.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I like sterbai cories, they are pretty cool looking. You could do an angelfish in a tank that size too, if you don't go with a gourami.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

demonR6 posted:

live aquaria has been working fine for me as my local fish choices have been pretty poor. Something about petsmart and jack's aquarium completely killing the local fish shops. There is one left, and even they are are making an effort to abandon the fish side. Or at a minimum, get out of freshwater.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

demonR6 posted:

Most respectable sellers are much more careful on how they do shipping. Plenty of padding, heat pads if the weather's a bit on the cool side, ample marking to ensure postal workers see it, etc.
All the fish I've ever ordered online came just fine (My 5 Mollies, 6 Angels, 8 cherry shrimp, and all the water plants I have). If you're really worried, just ask the seller to make sure "Live Fish" is on the outside of the box.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 6, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also how do you think pet stores get their fish?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I know pet stores get their fish shipped to them via a carrier but the losses that occur due to stress in shipping is a lot. I am friends with the lady at the local PetSmart and some shipments they have lost more than half of a given fish because they could not handle the travel. Those examples I posted are just extremes of what can happen to your package. From first hand knowledge having worked as a sorter for a few years during the holidays I can tell you your average postal worker could care less about your package and the label at times makes it a better target for abuse. Not saying every package gets kicked across the sorting area but being how fragile fish are I would suggest looking for local alternatives if they are available to you.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I still think you're being a bit overly harsh on the deal. On top of all this it's not like a decent seller wouldn't refund you/send another of the same or that the post office is gonna drop a box on your door with some rotting corpses in it.

By all means hit up the focal fish stores, but if they don't have what you want, don't be afraid to go through the mail.

Hell, my Mollies were preggers when they were shipped, one dropped an hour after arrival and the other two over night.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

DrNutt posted:

Also how do you think pet stores get their fish?
A combination of shipments from farms/wholesalers/transshippers across the country, driving out to local wholesalers or getting deliveries from their in-house guy, growing coral in the back room, occasional small things from local hobbyist breeders and trade-ins, and the Russians out of New York who come by the back in a van every Wednesday - slightly shady but friendly and they have Cool Things.

demonR6 posted:

Those examples I posted are just extremes of what can happen to your package. From first hand knowledge having worked as a sorter for a few years during the holidays I can tell you your average postal worker could care less about your package and the label at times makes it a better target for abuse. Not saying every package gets kicked across the sorting area but being how fragile fish are I would suggest looking for local alternatives if they are available to you.
Depending on the sorting facility, the package can even wind up in the hands of one of people who will throw into an inappropriate machine to jam it and take a break.
Seriously, even audibly buzzing boxes labeled LIVE BEES don't necessarily get respected, someone's going to shake it up to scare other people.

These are absolute worst case scenarios, though, and when I was in a fish store easily 90% of our shipments were UPS/Fedex. I think we even got more DHL than USPS. That breakdown doesn't necessarily apply to smaller shipments from a wider variety of public-facing sellers, of course.

Also, if your LFSes are half decent (and not extincted by big stores) you could try asking if they can order specifically for you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drilldo squirt posted:

I just upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 28 gallon one. All I got right now are 7 zebra danio and a pelco, you guys have any idea what I could add to this now I got 13 extra gallons to play with?

Cory cat swarm. Maybe 8 or so of them. Very fun to watch.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My favorite LFS is having his first anniversary sale tomorrow, and I am probably going to end up buying a bunch of fish I don't really need. I'm planning to get 8 or 9 rainbow pseudomugil tenellus and a gold nugget pleco at the least.

Edit: Well to avoid double posting, here was the haul...

1 gold nugget pleco
3 orange lazer cories
3 boesemans rainbows
12 candy cane tetras

Was bummed that the tenellus rainbow sold out before I got there.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well poo poo. I heard some weird noises from the tank. Investigating, I found a dead cory. Fished him out, appears to be pretty fresh. Then even minus one, a headcount shows only 3 cories... that's not good. That's two others missing. And there's also a chain loach missing. I remove all the plants and driftwood only to find no trace of them. The last time I did a headcount was a few weeks ago. What the gently caress's going on.

Possible suspects?
Cant be a cory, those guys are peaceful as hell.
A chain loach? Maybe... but they're tiny. Could they really devour a few dead fishes? Did they kill them, or just eat them when they died? They're around 3 years old now which is on the lower end of cory life expectancy.
I'm not even going to consider the mostly blind betta.
My cat? He's got little to no interest in the fishtank AND the cover makes it impossible to get in.
They're not dried up around the tank either so what the hell?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Did you test the water?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

I like sterbai cories, they are pretty cool looking. You could do an angelfish in a tank that size too, if you don't go with a gourami.

If he is going to get neon tetras he probably shouldn't get an angel. I think I recall someone here reporting they lost tetras to the angel.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've recently been given 3 rosy barbs by my sister. She got them on a whim as tiny feeder fish just for cheap tank fillers without realising how big they'd grow and they are finally big enough that they started causing problems with her white clouds and danios, but the last straw was when they killed and ate her favorite snail. Anyway, I have a very small, heavily planted tank that we were able to move the barbs into but it is way too small for them. I'd been meaning to finish setting up some fibre glass shell ponds in the back yard and I've read that barbs can do okay in ponds so that is the eventual plan for a final home for these fish.

Today I got the ponds in the ground, full of water, and got some plants in to start the ponds towards being a habitable environment. I've put in some hydrilla, hornwort, water milfoil, a nardoo, a few scraps of java moss, rotala and I've got some eel grass and some hair grass that I could also add. I haven't got much of a clue how to convert what little I know about cycling aquariums to something that would work in a pond. I've put all the substrate that was in with the plants into a tub in the bottom of the pond hoping that any of the good stuff living on it will colonize the pond. Originally I didn't intend to get any fish at all so at this stage I don't have a filter but I do have an outdoors rated pond pump; one of the ideas I had was to let one of the ponds grow a lot of hornwort and use it as a kind of sump for the pond that the fish will go in, and keep the third one as still water for local frogs. I'm not real sure how to move water from pond to pond though since they are on a similar level so an overflow probably won't do it. As for treating the water, I've read that a bit of crushed vitamin c will go a long way to removing chloramine from water but I haven't dosed any yet.

Am I on the right track for setting up the ponds? Is there anything else that I will need? I'm considering getting a solar powered air bubbler maybe like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251188761078 for a bit more movement in the water. My mum has a pond with goldfish and the water is always cloudy and gross so that is something I want to avoid.

The other thing I'm wondering is what is the best way to gently, and with minimum stress, ease aquarium fish into being pond fish?

Of the three ponds that I have one is kind of D shaped with vertical sides, one is kidney shaped with sloped sides, and the third one has a smallish shallower bit connected to a bigger deeper bit. My guess is that the vertical sided one will be the best suited as it shouldn't heat up as quickly as the ones with shallower parts, but perhaps the fish could hurt themselves if they run into the sides as they are roughly textured. Thoughts? It does get very hot here over summer and knowing that barbs like cooler water I am a little worried that being outdoors will cook them so I guess I should get a thermometer in to see how much the water temperature changes on a hot day, it might not be as bad as I think.

I really like these fish, they are active and interesting and come over to the side of the tank when they notice me watching them. I want to get more of them so they can be in a proper school when I have somewhere big enough for them to go. I want them to be happy, safe and healthy and I'd appreciate any advice you can give me to help me do the right thing by them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

If he is going to get neon tetras he probably shouldn't get an angel. I think I recall someone here reporting they lost tetras to the angel.

neons are like 80 cents.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Chichevache posted:

In my experience from childhood, angels chase down anything they can that looks tasty. Tetras fall in that category.
And as my new angels show, so do cherry shrimp. The shrimp can't come out till the angels go to sleep or they all chase them around

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

neons are like 80 cents.

I figured I should warn him in case he actually wanted to raise his fish. :shrug:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

SocketWrench posted:

angels chase down anything they can that looks tasty. Tetras fall in that category.

I have angels. The alpha male successfully hunted down 3 of his fellow angel tankmates, drove one to jump out and dehydrate on the floor and become a cat treat, and the third is his bitch that he beat up so often that I just put a permanent tank divider in. Poor lady angel. :(

Both of them will chase the kuhli loaches, but them worm-fish are fast.

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 11, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I figured I should warn him in case he actually wanted to raise his fish. :shrug:

You said "lost" as in it ate a couple. If it'll tear through them like they're feeders obviously it's not a good idea, but if you can put 20 in there and lose 5 every couple months or w/e, so what. I wouldn't know what the case is with angels, but that's something to keep in mind. Especially in a planted tank where little guys can hide.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I've had a mated pair of angels for over 18 months now and started with a school of 12 neons. Currently I have six left. Acceptable losses in any case. Never really see them bother the neons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

You said "lost" as in it ate a couple. If it'll tear through them like they're feeders obviously it's not a good idea, but if you can put 20 in there and lose 5 every couple months or w/e, so what. I wouldn't know what the case is with angels, but that's something to keep in mind. Especially in a planted tank where little guys can hide.

Oh no, I meant that the angel will probably take the tetras out pretty quick. My old pair took guppies like nobodies business. If they can catch the tetras they'll probably devour them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ In the long run I suppose it depends on how much and how often you feed. i've got a decently planted tank and so far only two of the last batch of 30 or so Molly fry are still around. Angels are surprisingly agile at chasing through plants. I honestly never knew they could tuck all their fins down to look like a silver dollar till I got these guys

daggerdragon posted:

I have angels. The alpha male successfully hunted down 3 of his fellow angel tankmates, drove one to jump out and dehydrate on the floor and become a cat treat, and the third is his bitch that he beat up so often that I just put a permanent tank divider in. Poor lady angel. :(

Both of them will chase the kuhli loaches, but them worm-fish are fast.

Mine are a bit young yet to determine sex, but they're still larger than the Mollies. One decided it was gonna be the bully and pestered the bitch Molly, then went after the alpha female. She whopped its rear end so hard it leaves all of them alone now

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 11, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Just got done with buying some fish so now I got two blue gorami chillin with 10 danio 3 cory and a big ole pelco. I'd like to add some more cory but that feel like I would be pushing what the tank can handle. Am I right or do I have to get some more cory.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Just got done with buying some fish so now I got two blue gorami chillin with 10 danio 3 cory and a big ole pelco. I'd like to add some more cory but that feel like I would be pushing what the tank can handle. Am I right or do I have to get some more cory.

Hope that tank is super super planted, watch out for those gourami. I had to get rid of one of mine because the man chased the woman down and kept picking at her until she was lying in a little cave-hideout i bought for her and just gasping because of how hosed up she was.

This was after 3 weeks of them coexisting just fine, so I'm not sure.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hope that tank is super super planted, watch out for those gourami. I had to get rid of one of mine because the man chased the woman down and kept picking at her until she was lying in a little cave-hideout i bought for her and just gasping because of how hosed up she was.

This was after 3 weeks of them coexisting just fine, so I'm not sure.

Yeah it's got some hiding spaces. What size was your tank?

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Hey guys, been a while.

RE: INSECT SPRAYS AND TANKS -- I have not done this personally, but over the years, the consensus in threads that I have seen on different forums is this: for spraying, the entire tank and stand should be shrouded in those thin plastic sheets that painters use as drop sheets. Turn off filtration, but leave on aeration, during the spraying. Foggers and tenting are completely incompatible with fishtanks.

RE: IS THERE ENOUGH ROOM IN MY TANK? https://www.aqadvisor.com won't do much for you if you are searching for personality or behavior compatibility of fish, but it will tell you what your situation is like based on your current tank's size, stocking, and filtration setup. The very first post links to it as well, but this thread is getting up there in page numbers, so I'm putting that out there for any newcomers to check it out if they haven't already.

The 300 gallon is ticking along fine, the peacock bass are both over a foot long each now and horsing around in the 'no I don't want to make babies with you' sort of way, the severums are dish-sized, the phenomenal Raphael is placing in open-category bowl shows, and unstoppable force of the fully grown breeding pair of jags are still eternally meeting the immovable (or at least impenentrably armored) force of the saddleback bichir. I haven't come across (or grown out) any other large fish lately to add to the tank, but eh, that's fine. Just not terribly interesting to write about. ;)

I picked up a pair of cockatoo dwarf cichlids Apistogramma cacatuoides at our club's most recent post-meeting mini-auction, and they spawned a grand total of 4 days after purchase. I screwed up though fiddling around with the tank netting out some tetras, so they got upset and abandoned the eggs. :( Womp womp. Glad they like the tank set up and water though, better luck next time.

I also have joined the ranks of discus keepers -- which doesn't seem as terrifying a prospect as I had previously imagined. I took a shot on a half-dollar sized trio that I purchased for like... $5.33 each. The water change schedule that I am used to with large predators (aka lots of nitrogenous waste which requires beaucoup water changes) seems to mesh well with the requirements of these guys. I was expecting some fragile things permanently wed to a diet of tiny live worms, but they do in fact have the charm and personality that you'd expect for New World cichlids, and have started accepting Massivore and occasional scraps of flaked chicken. They are called Stendket Santarem, which as far as I can tell, is the (legal) exporter and German importer names of the parents. These rate as my first pedigreed fish, haw.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Niiice! Love discus but my heart and wallet belongs to catfish and few do well with discus.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I always say the last tank I have will be discus. In the meantime, keeping a discus tank while maintaining other tanks sounds unpleasant.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

I've been thinking about getting a small freshwater aquarium for my apartment. I'm a complete newbie and the last time I took care of fish was years ago with my Dad. I was thinking about getting a 6 gallon Fluval Edge, some live plants, a male betta and a few ghost shrimp. Is that enough water for that? Would I be able to introduce one or two African dwarf frogs in or would that be pushing it too much? I read that they don't really excrete a lot of waste.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Action Jackson! posted:

I've been thinking about getting a small freshwater aquarium for my apartment. I'm a complete newbie and the last time I took care of fish was years ago with my Dad. I was thinking about getting a 6 gallon Fluval Edge, some live plants, a male betta and a few ghost shrimp. Is that enough water for that? Would I be able to introduce one or two African dwarf frogs in or would that be pushing it too much? I read that they don't really excrete a lot of waste.

I don't know about the frogs but my betta does fine in a 5g and people keep them in smaller things. I wouldn't want to keep him in less than 3g though.

Also make sure to get at least a decent light if you're trying to grow things, most tank combos I saw when I was shopping for a tank a few months ago come with bad lights.

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah it's got some hiding spaces. What size was your tank?

A 20gallon Long. I don't think I had enough plants to keep both of the gourami.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know about the frogs but my betta does fine in a 5g and people keep them in smaller things. I wouldn't want to keep him in less than 3g though.

Also make sure to get at least a decent light if you're trying to grow things, most tank combos I saw when I was shopping for a tank a few months ago come with bad lights.

Here's the tank I was looking at. The lighting seems nice and bright but then again I know jack and poo poo about this kind of thing. :)