Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And of course Miniwargaming is doing paid advertisments for painting services and has been for a while, so that might be part of it too.
Maybe we should create a movement to decry this corruption in wargaming websites, but no name really comes to mind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Actually, this is about ethics in warga-:suicide:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
We already did that joke anyway.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gates Workshop

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

JerryLee posted:

Gates Workshop

Gately's Workshop; or, perhaps more accurately, Gately's Sweatshop :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This reminds me that one time Gately did a video at Valhalla with the guy who created Dropzone Commander. They were playing a demo game and the most notable thing about it was Gately routinely commenting on the guy's English accent, to the point where the DZC guy started to get rather annoyed (he even said "It's OK, I don't mind if you mock me" at one point). :v:

Yeah, I had to feel for the Hawk guy, new game, needs publicity. There are some prices you have to make, but that smacked of a deal with the Devil.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
If it were for the massive testicles, that rhino mini is actually pretty awesome.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I had to feel for the Hawk guy, new game, needs publicity. There are some prices you have to make, but that smacked of a deal with the Devil.

And just to continue on this point, I read on one of the "BTP are shite" threads (either Dakka or Warseer, I forget which) that BTP put the armies given to them by Hawk Wargames up for sale, most likely not long after that demo game took place. :rolleyes:

E: also, while I never paid them a dime for a membership or anything, I used to subscribe to MWG's Youtube channel because I thought some of their stuff was OK. But after digging and reading about how they're soliciting only positive BTP stuff from their paid members, they can go take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut as far as I'm concerned now.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 10, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Does raise on question, tho: is it possible to make a sexy miniature without goons going pervs? I mean, is that available at least in theory? Is it one of the reasons why Slaanesh armies are focused on sound, the silliest of all things to have in excess (well, that and the roots in glam rock)? If you make them junkies, some mom will definitely claim that 40K is making her kid sniff glue.

Also, whenever I see people arguing strongly against cheesecake (wait... is cheesecake the opposite of beefcake? MIND BLOWN) minis, I get the sudden urge to defend my territory against SJWs and such such. However, if left alone, I'll make fun of the ridiculous hentai armor and boobs gone wild... I am a very confused man

As for naked women, I think reading the description also helps to see if the sculptor had both hands on the job.

:nws: THE ROSE OF KER-YS, WITCHLING :nws:

Mierce Miniatures posted:

The Rose of Ker-Ys is a pure embodiment of that perversion, a seductress with little regard for the wants or lives of others, a witchling whose only purpose is to fulfil her desires whatever form they take and with whatever subject they require - man, woman or beast.

:nws: Satan

Kingdom Death posted:

So great was Satan’s self-obsession that it split into twin hermaphrodite lovers to share the world with itself. They roam Kingdom Death, drunk with self-lust and power, trapped by their own vanity in fragile human frames. Their armor of living tongues shares the taste of the world between the twins.

Oh, and if you're a fan of CAD Kickstarter titty, you'll definitely love these classic "a guy, some sculpting material and a boner" made minis found on Eureka minis! And you thought that website that was only good for Cold War NBC soviets and marines...

Behold, the Dryad!

:nws: http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=806_807_808&products_id=11937 :nws:

You know how male gladiators are depicted with bare chests? Want to know what happened if bloodsport was 100% female? Like looking at pictures for ants in a website that was designed around the same time that Jesus walked the Earth? Well, look no further!

http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=806_807_814&products_id=12131

Have you ever played Tomb Lords and found yourself thinking "My egyptian skellingtons are great, but you know what would be better? Boobies!"

:nws: http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=12392 :nws:

Or how about spicing up your Vampire Count army with some BLOW UP DOLL ZOMBIES? Sexy AND hilarious!

:nws: http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=806_807_812&products_id=12108 :nws:

And last, but not least, the "I want to make my Kill Team entirely out of vacant face FAS Playboy Playmates"

:nws: http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=806_807_812&products_id=12112 :nws:

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hahaha this mini is amazing...

...for all the wrong reasons

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

JcDent posted:

Does raise on question, tho: is it possible to make a sexy miniature without goons going pervs? I mean, is that available at least in theory? Is it one of the reasons why Slaanesh armies are focused on sound, the silliest of all things to have in excess (well, that and the roots in glam rock)? If you make them junkies, some mom will definitely claim that 40K is making her kid sniff glue.

Also, whenever I see people arguing strongly against cheesecake (wait... is cheesecake the opposite of beefcake? MIND BLOWN) minis, I get the sudden urge to defend my territory against SJWs and such such. However, if left alone, I'll make fun of the ridiculous hentai armor and boobs gone wild... I am a very confused man

To be fair Slaanesh miniatures have depicted a wide variety of the "excess" concepts - there's the noise concept, but Slaanesh demons have breasts all over them, and the 30k Emperor's Children are very much aimed at the idea of perfection/elegance in their armor and poses and weapons and all that. And Dark Eldar have all kinds of drug related stuff, soo.

I'll stop complaining about cheesecake minis the moment Infinity puts out a line of male soldiers and pilots wearing tights with assless chaps and clearly visible bulges. Until that happens, I'll just have to settle for

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hey! Infinity does a good job staying away from boob windows. And I'd argue that "sexy male" would be something along the line of the end game boss in BioShock, a naked, muscled guy with Thessium fig leaf to cover his junk. Would work with Aleph! Call it Adonis TAG, collect paycheck.

And where's the vomiting Dark Souls knight? Pre-CAD sexy females are the worst. The faces! The everything else!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

JcDent posted:

http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=12219

You missed the best one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What do you mean? There's nothing bad about that compared to the precious ones. She's wearing a shirt. She's wearing a skirt. She's even wearing panties and socks. Oh god the fact that I just typed that sentence about an up skirt panty-shot mini and actually mean it :suicide:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I unironically love Kingdom Death Satan since one of them has a skirt made of dicks. Literally made of dicks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Direwolf posted:

To be fair Slaanesh miniatures have depicted a wide variety of the "excess" concepts - there's the noise concept, but Slaanesh demons have breasts all over them, and the 30k Emperor's Children are very much aimed at the idea of perfection/elegance in their armor and poses and weapons and all that. And Dark Eldar have all kinds of drug related stuff, soo.

But they don't have Crack Marines! And yeah, Daemons might have breasts on them, but other Slaaneshi are like "eh". Well, I'm arguing for an empty cause anyway, because BDSM Slaanesh would be just fetish fuel.

Then again, if I lost all will and went to make a Heralds of Ruin CSM kill from cultists only, I would buy maybe buy a sexy mini for the team lead, because, inevitably, it would be a near 100pts character in a 300pts team, since even with max cultists, there's nothing else to spend points on, and I want the team lead to be representative of all the boons and poo poo they get.

Fortunately, impending Infinity buying stuff and not having painted my last two Kill Teams is stopping me from doing stuff.

For the longest of times I considered buying a sexy Japanese mini and painting it white/washing it blue to have a hologram effect, to make it look like a holographic stand of 40K "gentleman club". Thing is, they're all anime proportioned... and the ones I saw/was interested in buying are second hand. Second hand sexy anime sculptures, used by genuine otakus

Silhouette posted:

I unironically love Kingdom Death Satan since one of them has a skirt made of dicks. Literally made of dicks.

I was waiting for for someone to notice that!

My favorite is the tribal shaman, chest proudly thrust forward, breasts raking the sky.
Also, if you look closely, there's a Grid Iron section, which is sexy Blood Bowl, of course.

I wonder what the Eurekans think of all this, especially since their own range is pretty awesome.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Whatever about Kingdom Death this poo poo is art and belongs in a museum and I won't hear otherwise.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Whatever about Kingdom Death this poo poo is art and belongs in a museum and I won't hear otherwise.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Eh, I own a bunch of the Shadowforge tribal mini's for my Mordheim Amazon warband. At the time I bought them they were actually the most tasteful amazon sculpts being done by a company (Foundry has some that included an elf using a tree as a stripper pole!). Sure most of them have their titties hangin out, but at least with Amazons that's a little more acceptable. I ended up greenstuffing more clothes on the vast majority of them. The worst thing is that the studio paint schemes are awful and the models are actually a lot better than they look, what is hard to make out in the lovely studio photos is how much of a loving SHITPILE THE FEET ARE. Holy titty twisting poo poo are they bad. It's like you described roughly what a foot was to a footless man with very few artistic skills and then got him to sculpt one. I'm pretty sure one of mine has six toes on one foot and none of them are big toes.

I think there is a limited range of mini where nudity can be OK (for both genders). Berserkers, Amazons/tribesmen, mermaids/forest spirits/satyrs, and evil demons. Also I guess anything where there is a historical precedent and the nudity is there to retain historical/thematic accuracy (I dont think tittygladiator counts btw) and nude figures being painted in order to do nude figure painting (slippery slope with that one I guess, but no one argues nude figure drawing is tearing apart the art world with its pervyness).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The problem with nude miniatures is that almost all of them are made solely to be jerked off to.

JcDent posted:

JcDent posted:

For the longest of times I considered buying a sexy Japanese mini and painting it white/washing it blue to have a hologram effect, to make it look like a holographic stand of 40K "gentleman club". Thing is, they're all anime proportioned... and the ones I saw/was interested in buying are second hand. Second hand sexy anime sculptures, used by genuine otakus

Jesus Christ dude

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

The problem with nude miniatures is that almost all of them are made solely to be jerked off to.

And to show cool and edgy your line is. After all, old people get offended by nudity, as well as religious prudes. You'll have none of that, you're living on the edge of artistic innovation, commerce and, well, art. Nothing wrong with human sexuality, etc..

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jesus Christ dude

I wanted to make a a modular (30cm by 30cm) terrain board and for some reason the first thing that struck my mind was stripclub/brothel. I still don't know why. I will defend the idea, tho: seedy holo stripclubs signs are a cyberpunk staple, and while 40K isn't exactly that, I wanted it to be a part of an urban wasteland, so to speak, a place where Inquisitorial Kill Team could fight against say Tau. Plus, it would be crumbling (hence the only intact thing would be the holo sign) and let me use the... uh... I forget, Death Zone rules? So yeah.

Well, I abandoned that idea in favor of bunkers, shacks and WD ork settlements.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have this hole I have to dig myself into.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 11, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

At least you aren't buying female Satan with a skirt made of dicks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Hey! Infinity does a good job staying away from boob windows.
What about bare midriffs on fully suited minis?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's orange armor, like you can see on the celestial on the right!

Unreal Tournament did it best:

EDIT: You should have gone with Riot Grrl armor nipples!

HiveCommander posted:

At least you aren't buying female Satan with a skirt made of dicks!

At least I have that. At least I didn't buy the mini of Satan who wanted to gently caress himself so hard that he turned into two hermaphrodite girls (so, there are dicks under the dick skirt) who are naked except for some strategically placed tongues, which, I assume, lick them all the time.

I wanted to ask how bad are the People of the Sun (they're mostly clothed, but the girl has a massive chest and serious child bearing hips), when I read this bit:

Kingdom Death posted:

A warrior that has reached a pinnacle of wisdom is allowed to soak at the bottom of the sacred pool, infusing their bodies with the powerful secretions from the eggs that lay within it.

:gonk:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think the maenads have that deeply unsexy, true-to-myths 'I'm so drunk I'm going to tear you into confetti' thing going on. The secutor is historically incorrect of course (and I think the shield's a bit small), but the nudity isn't really sexualized.

... Dr. Gitta Lederfetisch?

Yeah, besides those two I got nothin'.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Randalor posted:

What do you mean? There's nothing bad about that compared to the precious ones. She's wearing a shirt. She's wearing a skirt. She's even wearing panties and socks. Oh god the fact that I just typed that sentence about an up skirt panty-shot mini and actually mean it :suicide:

Unlike the other ones that appear to be of nude or semi-nude adults, this one is clearly a child. It doesn't matter that she's technically fully clothed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It doesn't surprise me that someone at Kingdom Death would think Satan is a woman.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

She's just a devil woman, with evil on her mind!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

She's just a devil woman, with evil on her mind!

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Kingdom Death posted:

So great was Satan’s self-obsession that it split into twin hermaphrodite lovers to share the world with itself.

Reading comprehension, guys.

Numlock posted:

Unlike the other ones that appear to be of nude or semi-nude adults, this one is clearly a child. It doesn't matter that she's technically fully clothed.

Every girl in anime is 18, you silly!
And you're ruling out the most likely culprit for kid like appearance: sheer incompetence at sculpting.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

JcDent posted:

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Reading comprehension, guys.

Every girl in anime is 18, you silly!
And you're ruling out the most likely culprit for kid like appearance: sheer incompetence at sculpting.

Or the fact that she's wearing a school uniform? She's a child, there's 0 ambiguity about it and I don't think the people who buy the model are disappointed by that fact.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Ugh

BlueTablePainting Painting Commission Studio Showcase from Miniwargaming

Top Comment:

Oh dear... I guess this is why you sent a message out to members of the Vault only asking for good reviews of BTP. A biased advertisement video that doesn't focus on the numerous pit falls of ordering from BTP. You need to weigh up the negatives along with the positives if you want anyone to listen to you. The biggest issue is the fact that they assembly line your army through 2-3 different painters if one person can't handle it alone, so it's RARELY consistent. Three different painters paint in three different ways.

A key example of this is when Shawn had his studio Tau painted, he noted several times that his own painters messed up the shading on his army and got them to repaint entire models until they got it right. Why did the guy with his Chaos Dwarfs (who was a paying customer and not an army destined for Shawns collection) not get the same treatment before his models were shipped? Some of his STILL had primer showing on them even after he'd asked to correct them.

A lot of people have issues with BTP and a lot of people don't. That's the nature of a business that offers a personal service. But sending out a newsletter to your fans/vault asking for "positive reviews/experiences with BTP" with no mention of negatives is a step too far. Not to mention BTP is going to put extra effort into any army commisioned by MWG because they are WAY more than just a customer. They're an advertising oppertunity with 151,000 subscribers. You can drat well extra effort was put into it.

So please don't do lopsided, biased, paid advertisements. That's not the reason we watch the channel.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Comments have already been deleted :laffo:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That montage at the end is loving disappointing for a miniatures painting service. Most of those are at the level I would do for basic troopers (3-5 color palette, obvious drybrushing, heavy use of the "basecoat -> Wash -> Rehighlight" method) and I guarantee they are charging way more than I do. I charge cost of model for heroes and large pieces like chariots but for that level of painting I'd probably go half price on the big stuff like the Phoenix and Chariot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

SRM posted:

Comments have already been deleted :laffo:

They haven't though? :confused: I'm looking at that specific one that Indolent Bastard quoted right now, along with a few others:

quote:

Honestly look at each pic and tell me thats pro painted? Looks like the kinda stuff you find on ebay thats 'pro painted'

quote:

Lost all and any respect for MWG. Shame really, always enjoyed your vids. But this biased big boys in the community shoulder rubbing is pathetic. Honesty is so rare these days. 

quote:

Don`t you guys get it?? Matt said all those good things of BTP because he didn`t want to loose to many friends, but he also cares about his customers and tries to help wargamers out with picking a studio! Sooooo he put all those terribly painted minis in the end and showed us, how awful their paintjobs are, so we don`t buy the BTP propoganda. I mean they couldn`t seriously put out those minis and be proud of them... I mean... Right? No? You make me sad, MWG. So close to joining the vault (after old world batreps I was itching to) , but NOPE, not going to happen.

quote:

Don't you guys get the picture yet? Nobody likes these videos, the models are terribly painted, they are incredibly expensive when they say that painting costs $1 per point! I'm unsubscribing from you as i am sick of you being an advertisement site, I have to watch an advertisement from YouTube before the video (which gives you money) and then watch this, which is yet another advertisement....

quote:

Those warmachine models look like they were painted by beginners. If I paid a commission painting service & got models back that looked like that I'd be looking for my money back. 

quote:

Sold out. Guess, it only takes a couple of free Vahalla trips to buy you. Wow,

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Also I have to chuckle at how Matt/Dave at MWG apparently thought inserting themselves into the toxic BTP situation was in any way a good idea, and that they thought this was the right way to go about it. :laugh:

Though I did read somewhere that Gately, Matt, and Dave are all Mormons? So maybe that's the connection :tinfoil:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That montage at the end is loving disappointing for a miniatures painting service. Most of those are at the level I would do for basic troopers (3-5 color palette, obvious drybrushing, heavy use of the "basecoat -> Wash -> Rehighlight" method) and I guarantee they are charging way more than I do. I charge cost of model for heroes and large pieces like chariots but for that level of painting I'd probably go half price on the big stuff like the Phoenix and Chariot.

There's just something about all the BTP painting that does the opposite of "pop". Everything just seems muted and kinda...I don't want to say messy, but a little off. I'm not a very good painter and my best paint jobs seem to be on about their level, which for a commissioned painting service is kinda gross.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Nearly 8000 projects complete! Congrats BRP on disappointing a whole lot of people around the world!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Direwolf posted:

There's just something about all the BTP painting that does the opposite of "pop". Everything just seems muted and kinda...I don't want to say messy, but a little off. I'm not a very good painter and my best paint jobs seem to be on about their level, which for a commissioned painting service is kinda gross.

They're completely an assembly-line painting commission service, with an apparently high burnout/turnover rate of painters. The reason their stuff looks so terrible (except for stuff they paint for their partners or clients they deem "important", I guess) is because they're run by a guy who evidently has no qualms about delivering substandard work after he's taken someone's money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Painting the Blue Table way.
Prime Black.
1st shade, Black Primer.
1st highlight, Black Primer.

Customer must now pay for additional colors and highlighting (to be either poorly airbrushed or drybrushed on depending on what painter gets the job.