Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Except strafting around them is nearly impossible in that one caves room with the turrets.

Yeah, that's not a great layout.

e:

VDay posted:

The Haunt is actually really easy once you kind of get a pattern down for beating him. It's a little hard to explain but I might make a video about it.

You want to stay in about the center of the room while strafing ahead of him so that you completely avoid the tear spread attack. The trick is keeping a sort of mental timer going in your head of when he's about to attack and "jumping" across his body to the other side so that you avoid getting squeezed into the walls and hit by the brimstone beam. Like I said it's a bit hard to accurately describe but once you get the motion down his attacks are fairly easy to dodge and he's easily hit since his movement speed doesn't change.

I think I was just unlucky because I was fighting as Maggie and I had gotten a speed down, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm pretty sure the Blank Card is supposed to be insanely good, I mean pair it with Hierophant and it's like a triple Book of Revelations. Does it really work with runes? You could get some pretty incredible results off a Jera.

That sounds like it would work really well with The Battery too. The new Battery is so dope.

I really wish there was some sort of editor or debug mode where you could play around with all the different items and mechanics but I totally realize how it could take away a lot of the game's allure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always have a hard time with the Dark One for whatever reason, he's probably the hardest normal boss for me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VDay posted:

The Haunt is actually really easy once you kind of get a pattern down for beating him. It's a little hard to explain but I might make a video about it.

You want to stay in about the center of the room while strafing ahead of him so that you completely avoid the tear spread attack. The trick is keeping a sort of mental timer going in your head of when he's about to attack and "jumping" across his body to the other side so that you avoid getting squeezed into the walls and hit by the brimstone beam. Like I said it's a bit hard to accurately describe but once you get the motion down his attacks are fairly easy to dodge and he's easily hit since his movement speed doesn't change.

Honestly the hard part for me is killing his little buddies without taking a hit.

Also to note, his movement pattern is buggy as gently caress in the second stage and if you walk up to the top where he's sliding back and forth the fucker will basically snap to you and hit you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vakal posted:

ET9A
Y93L

Pyromaniac and Kamikaze Vest. Fun times.

Wow I never thought of this. Doesn't that make you immortal?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

loving hell, I'm never going to unlock the Lost at this rate.

I can do the other three steps fine but "die to stage two of Satan as Azazel" fucks me over every time. I either fail horribly to get there or I die horribly to the wrong damned stage.

Well then I wish they'd add an animation a bit more in depth than "snap to player". Even if it was just an angry face on the Haunt as he does so.
\/\/\/

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

Honestly the hard part for me is killing his little buddies without taking a hit.

Also to note, his movement pattern is buggy as gently caress in the second stage and if you walk up to the top where he's sliding back and forth the fucker will basically snap to you and hit you.

That's not buggy at all, it's designed to discourage you from trying to cheese him by just staying up high, which would make him ridiculously easy since he only shoots down. And yeah the little guys are probably the most annoying part once you get the big guy's patterns down. The two-at-a-time part is especially harrowing since those fuckers love just bouncing off each other or your tears and suddenly smashing into you. Plus they can shoot, because them flying wasn't hard enough I guess.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Man, anti-gravity tears are really disappointing. They gave it a cool visual effect when used with the brimstone...but it's just flat out worse to use than just brimstone. Now Guppy, that's a great thing to use with brimstone. Guppy just rules at everything. Good kitty.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

a bloody icon posted:

The Haunt seems like an absurdly difficult boss for the first floor, but maybe that's just because that was my first time fighting it :(

Haunt is probably the second worst designed boss in the game. Tedious and dangerous for a lot of characters and it shows up on the first floor. If I didn't care about ~mah winrate~ I'd probably just hold R anytime I saw him on floor 1.

Worst is still Mask of Infamy because jesus christ who though this lazy piece of poo poo would be fun or challenging.

EDIT: Oh this is gonna be a great Eden run.

:shepicide:

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
Finally got my first Cathedral clear. Even with shielded tears and a maxed-out fire rate, I was still down to two hearts by the end because of that loving screenwide beam sweep, gently caress whoever designed that attack.

...As for my actual question, I'm standing here in a Devil Room with Chocolate Milk, and Brimstone is for sale. Will those two still screw each other up, or did they fix that for Rebirth?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Haunt is probably the second worst designed boss in the game. Tedious and dangerous for a lot of characters and it shows up on the first floor. If I didn't care about ~mah winrate~ I'd probably just hold R anytime I saw him on floor 1.

Worst is still Mask of Infamy because jesus christ who though this lazy piece of poo poo would be fun or challenging.
I agree 100% with this. I have no idea how to beat Mask of Infamy quickly with regular tears -- the 2nd form moves quickly enough that the you only have a small window to hit it when you strafe around it and since the window's so small you end up missing 90% of your shots anyhow. It's a bossfight where you figure out the right strategy in seconds but you just end up going in circles landing one shot every five seconds.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Runcible Spoon posted:

Finally got my first Cathedral clear. Even with shielded tears and a maxed-out fire rate, I was still down to two hearts by the end because of that loving screenwide beam sweep, gently caress whoever designed that attack.

...As for my actual question, I'm standing here in a Devil Room with Chocolate Milk, and Brimstone is for sale. Will those two still screw each other up, or did they fix that for Rebirth?

It doesn't screw it up anymore, I'm not sure if it does anything. Charge time seems the same and it makes the beam a little browner.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

RoboCicero posted:

I agree 100% with this. I have no idea how to beat Mask of Infamy quickly with regular tears -- the 2nd form moves quickly enough that the you only have a small window to hit it when you strafe around it and since the window's so small you end up missing 90% of your shots anyhow. It's a bossfight where you figure out the right strategy in seconds but you just end up going in circles landing one shot every five seconds.

You don't actually have to even get behind the thing though, you can strafe it and hit it from the side. When you find the right point where to stand it isn't tough at all. But a tough fight if you don't have good speed cause if the Mask gets near you you gotta get away from it. I like Mask of Infamy fight personally.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

I agree and I've maybe died to the mask once, ever on an already doomed run. You figure him out almost immediately because he's just a scaled up version of the normal masks, and just as obnoxious. Unlike the normal masks he's not even dangerous.

And The Haunt really should be a Caves boss. At least then you're likely to have damage/gimmicks that let you deal with him relatively quickly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Runcible Spoon posted:

Standing in the corner dodges the beam sweep 95% of the time.

And Brimstone worked with Chocolate milk even in the original, what are you on about?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The other useful thing to know about the Haunt is that he has a tell for his brimstone attack - if he opens and closes his mouth really quickly, run the hell away. Now the Haunt in the Solar System challenge, that's a run-ender. No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

And Brimstone worked with Chocolate milk even in the original, what are you on about?

It's been a while since I've played the original, but if I remember right, Milk + Brim made precharged shots do no damage when you first entered a room while giving Brim no real benefits. It was a total pain in the rear end, and "Don't grab Chocolate Milk with Brimstone" etched its way into my mind. If I'm wrong, though, please let me know so I can feel stupid immediately.

EDIT: I grabbed it. In Rebirth, Brimstone just seems to overwrite Chocolate Milk completely, no mini-beams any more.

Runcible Spoon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 11, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It had that bug yeah, but it allowed you to fire off mini-brimstone beams with no charge so that was a good trade-off.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
The jerza (sp?) rune is pretty awesome. It duplicates all drops in a room, including chests. After I found one in the womb, I decided to hold onto it till the Chest, and yep, 8 items to re-roll.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

gently caress pills forever. Had 4 straight runs ruined by pill gambles. Never again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

octobernight posted:

The jerza (sp?) rune is pretty awesome. It duplicates all drops in a room, including chests. After I found one in the womb, I decided to hold onto it till the Chest, and yep, 8 items to re-roll.

get the item that lets you hold 2 cards/runes and the blank card and use all 3 in the chest/dark room. 32 items :getin:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

VDay posted:

I had a super high rate of fire with Soy Milk and the cumulative knockback just let me safely stand at the top and slowly kill him. He couldn't reach me, even with the lunge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I think the beam sweeps will hit 2 corners. If it starts in a corner, then the corners adjacent to that corner are safe. If it doesn't start in a corner, then the corner opposite of it is safe.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Three questions that aren't immediately apparent:

1. What do Store Upgrade levels do? It's obvious when it's item unlocks, but the in between "Store Level 2" what the hell does that do?

2. Related: I know if you blow up the donation machine it drops some cash but the counter starts over, does this mean that if you've unlocked an item via donations and you blow the machine up, you lose that item?

3. Along with that, are levels/seeds unlock-limited? Just for instance: If I unlock The Nail and find a seed that drops it early and give that seed to someone who hasn't gotten The Nail unlocked, will they get The Nail anyway, or will some other item substitute?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Three questions that aren't immediately apparent:

1. What do Store Upgrade levels do? It's obvious when it's item unlocks, but the in between "Store Level 2" what the hell does that do?

2. Related: I know if you blow up the donation machine it drops some cash but the counter starts over, does this mean that if you've unlocked an item via donations and you blow the machine up, you lose that item?

3. Along with that, are levels/seeds unlock-limited? Just for instance: If I unlock The Nail and find a seed that drops it early and give that seed to someone who hasn't gotten The Nail unlocked, will they get The Nail anyway, or will some other item substitute?

1. Seems to be more items at once. I have store level 3 and it usually has 4 or 5 items on offer.

2. I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

3. They'll get a different item if they don't have that one unlocked.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Is there any way for me to synchronize mis-matched progress between the PS4 and Vita versions? I've been having that error pop up whenever I try to upload using the PS4, so I gave up on having a unified save and decided to just leave the two desynchronized. However, I just beat Sheol for the first time on the Vita, and I have a lot of stuff in general unlocked on the PS4.

I'd kinda like to keep both, but if I can't, it's no big deal. It's my fault for being a big dumb idiot and switching between the two versions, and on top of that, playing as Azazel was super fun so I need to do that on the console anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The higher-level store (not sure if it's the last upgrade or second-to-last) also gives you two store items instead of just one. Finding a bunch of money in the basement and going into caves with both a compass and treasure map is pretty great.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Not a Children posted:

gently caress pills forever. Had 4 straight runs ruined by pill gambles. Never again.

My policy on pills is I always take them when I get them on the first floor or two. After that it depends on how I'm doing. If my run is kind of on the fence then I'll take them later to try to get something good like tears up.

"Tears down" on floor one though, is almost always a restart. I'll usually finish the floor but if I don't get something totally amazing I am not going through with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was a little worried about the damage on this run, then this happened.

I'd like the lung more if I didn't get ALL THE TEARS this run. It charges just barely longer than it takes to tip my stick and I haven't got the rhythm down yet.

KittenMittons!!
Oct 31, 2010
Which button on the ps4 controller cycles between two tarot cards?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Tell me about it. Here were my pills last run: tears down, health down, puberty, bad trip, range up, lemon party

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I guess It Lives can spawn those walking red blobs things that just spray bullets in a direction occasionally. Since I had Technology and couldn't kill them fast enough it managed to make the fight chaotic and not fun. And also I lost.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Finally decided to switch to controller for better control of isaac and it's mostly been going really well. Except earlier today when I finally got the legendary poly brim on my blue baby run and thought I was set, then later in the womb I get my shoulder buttons mixed up and high priestess myself to death :/ At least I killed the boss rush though

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Finally decided to switch to controller for better control of isaac and it's mostly been going really well. Except earlier today when I finally got the legendary poly brim on my blue baby run and thought I was set, then later in the womb I get my shoulder buttons mixed up and high priestess myself to death :/ At least I killed the boss rush though

Yeah. Whatever happened to the tutorial room showing you which button does which item?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
This might be a weird question, but does anyone actually find the boss rush challenging? I find that if I can just about clear every room on a floor and still get to mom in under 20 minutes, I must be pretty god drat powerful. I honestly think it'd be a cakewalk if it wasn't for the carrion queen leaving poo poo everywhere

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LethalFrag is starting up tonight's cast. He's dedicating tonight to challenges tonight if you want to see someone else bang their head against them for a while.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Yeah. Whatever happened to the tutorial room showing you which button does which item?

Since you can remap the controls it's not universal anymore.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wasn't 100% clear on what was going on throughout a lot of this run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFs68yeizc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat Mom with the clock at 20:01 :negative:

Also I ruined a really good run with a loving dice room. Ad an eden run set to beat the Chest for the first time, then a dice room gave me poo poo items. Anyone have a list of which rooms do what? I thought I knew them all but evidently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

God I loving hate dice rooms. I had such a baller ??? run going with Tech 2 and Ipecac and messed it all up by being greedy and not thinking it would roll me if I just took the items on the edge of the dice.