Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

Loading site is less than 2km off pavement
Unloading site is less than 2km off pavement.
Only 10km of pavement in between.

Dream job in decent weather. One tiny foot of snow, and it's chaining up twice per trip because the loading site is entirely downhill from the highway and the unloading site is entirely uphill from the highway.

Slap iron on the pavement for 10km?

Reminds me of the time I was driving though Reno and came up on a rig doing 25 mph on the interstate, dude had a full set of chains on.

Chain control was only on the summit of Donner Pass, 43 miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

InterceptorV8 posted:

Reminds me of the time I was driving though Reno and came up on a rig doing 25 mph on the interstate, dude had a full set of chains on.

This is every year. Some CA based guy ends up heading East and is grinding away the pavement (usually with worn or loose chains that are beating the poo poo out of his truck), all due to some vague weather report from West Yemen.

It is probably on the few few ways to make East 80 even less pleasant.

At least they've stopped tearing it up between here and Ferntucky (didn't go any farther- I didn't want any extra mutated chromosomes). They had been messing with that since 2008, I swear.

One year a greenhorn made it onto 395 and was LOST. He was pulled over at Jacksons (before the renovation) and was sob/screaming into the payphone about being lost in BFE. It was hard not to laugh, since he was less than 20 miles off his route, but made it out that far before deciding maybe it was the wrong road. Guy looked younger than me, so he probably was scared of running into nutcup after dark. At least, thats' how I remember it.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 10, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Viggen posted:

This is every year. Some CA based guy ends up heading East and is grinding away the pavement (usually with worn or loose chains that are beating the poo poo out of his truck), all due to some vague weather report from West Yemen.

It is probably on the few few ways to make East 80 even less pleasant.

At least they've stopped tearing it up between here and Ferntucky (didn't go any farther- I didn't want any extra mutated chromosomes). They had been messing with that since 2008, I swear.

One year a greenhorn made it onto 395 and was LOST. He was pulled over at Jacksons (before the renovation) and was sob/screaming into the payphone about being lost in BFE. It was hard not to laugh, since he was less than 20 miles off his route, but made it out that far before deciding maybe it was the wrong road. Guy looked younger than me, so he probably was scared of running into nutcup after dark. At least, thats' how I remember it.

You're projecting.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're projecting.

No thats the headlights.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Does anyone actually use these? They seem like they would be good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4PW02S9WQM

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They're really common on schoolbusses and firetrucks. Work pretty well around town.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're really common on schoolbusses and firetrucks. Work pretty well around town.

I like that they don't only have a british voiceover, but their "best" demos have dualies with it only active (capable) under the innermost tire. Pip pip.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Loading site is less than 2km off pavement
Unloading site is less than 2km off pavement.
Only 10km of pavement in between.

Dream job in decent weather. One tiny foot of snow, and it's chaining up twice per trip because the loading site is entirely downhill from the highway and the unloading site is entirely uphill from the highway.

I've made 2 trips from GP down Hwy 40 to the Husky Energy road in 2 days. 85km south of town roughly... I've toasted 2 sets of triples and 2 singles. Pure ice highway with patches of dry. Coming back this morning I had all but 1 crosslink break on a set. Jammed up nice and good in the brake drum and axle. And we buy those Trygg chains by the pallet, at $250 per set.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I am so loving glad I am now on a dedicated run in the Southeast US, no more chains except for the occasional ice storm.

Funny thing about FedEx: They pay the IFTA fuel tax if the truck gets under 8mpg, but not if it gets better than 8mpg. My truck gets like 7.8 right now, but since this run has no mountains and with PrePass I will be flying past the NINE scales / ag inspectors in Florida on every loop, that mpg might go over 8. In response to that, my boss might get rid of the 68mph governor and let me hit 75 on my way to Dallas. It's so weird to have a policy that punishes great fuel mileage. 8mpg when pulling doubles is like getting 9mpg pulling 53' trailers.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
^^ Did you explain that backwards? If not, that's truly messed up.

IFTA exists so that narrow-ish states like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc don't get screwed by carriers beating up their roads by passing through and never buying a drop of their diesel. No fuel purchased, no taxes collected.

My guess on their reasoning is that higher mileage = less fill ups along the way = better make sure every state gets their a fair share, whereas lower mileage = filling up lots more places = tax distributed fairly. There's got to be a cutoff somewhere, and 8 happens to be it.

Tanking MPGs to save on fuel tax might sound like circular reasoning, but I'm sure someone has made the numbers work. I'd be extremely glad just to shorten my workday a bit, 7mph is a big difference when you're driving 8-10 hours in a day.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NoWake posted:

^^ Did you explain that backwards? If not, that's truly messed up.

IFTA exists so that narrow-ish states like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc don't get screwed by carriers beating up their roads by passing through and never buying a drop of their diesel. No fuel purchased, no taxes collected.

My guess on their reasoning is that higher mileage = less fill ups along the way = better make sure every state gets their a fair share, whereas lower mileage = filling up lots more places = tax distributed fairly. There's got to be a cutoff somewhere, and 8 happens to be it.

Tanking MPGs to save on fuel tax might sound like circular reasoning, but I'm sure someone has made the numbers work. I'd be extremely glad just to shorten my workday a bit, 7mph is a big difference when you're driving 8-10 hours in a day.
Truly messed up. My boss who owns the truck told me about a guy who went over 8mpg and had to pay an extra $1400 one month, and it was an owner-op with only the one truck so it hit him hard.

When I was driving cross country with FedEx (with my dad) we would try to stop in various states and get a fill-up just to even it out. The good thing is FedEx has their own fuel stations that are priced at wholesale instead of retail, so when in California or Connecticut the fuel cost 30 cents less than retail, but still had the tax added in so IFTA was happy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jonathan posted:

I've made 2 trips from GP down Hwy 40 to the Husky Energy road in 2 days. 85km south of town roughly... I've toasted 2 sets of triples and 2 singles. Pure ice highway with patches of dry. Coming back this morning I had all but 1 crosslink break on a set. Jammed up nice and good in the brake drum and axle. And we buy those Trygg chains by the pallet, at $250 per set.

I'm shocked you guys don't run studded tires.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Truly messed up. My boss who owns the truck told me about a guy who went over 8mpg and had to pay an extra $1400 one month, and it was an owner-op with only the one truck so it hit him hard.

When I was driving cross country with FedEx (with my dad) we would try to stop in various states and get a fill-up just to even it out. The good thing is FedEx has their own fuel stations that are priced at wholesale instead of retail, so when in California or Connecticut the fuel cost 30 cents less than retail, but still had the tax added in so IFTA was happy.

Why the gently caress would he have to pay that month? IFTA is quarterly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Slap iron on the pavement for 10km?

Chain control was only on the summit of Donner Pass, 43 miles away.

We would get murdered by the county for tearing up their road. You're really only allowed chains when they're necessary for the road.

kastein posted:

I'm shocked you guys don't run studded tires.

There is so much deformation in the tread of the tire on a loaded truck, studs would get ejected quite quickly. It would also quickly destroy paved roads.

There was an accident yesterday morning on the highway i was on all day the day before that killed 3 people. I'm glad i got off of that, but god drat. :nms: http://i.imgur.com/KWPwJh5.jpg

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why the gently caress would he have to pay that month? IFTA is quarterly.
Ehh, I got the particulars wrong, all I know is that 7.9mpg is fine but 8.0 means loss of money.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Ehh, I got the particulars wrong, all I know is that 7.9mpg is fine but 8.0 means loss of money.

GREAT IDEAS 101!

It's funny, in a sad way. I don't doubt there is some kind of tomfoolery.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
30 day leave of absence is almost over, don't get my sleep study results until the 2nd, unemployment is gone and i feel as hosed as if i had actually been driving <3

Time to say gently caress it and drive a triaxle!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Do they track idle time? Go to bed pop on high idle, laugh all the way to the bank.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ijustam posted:

Do they track idle time? Go to bed pop on high idle, laugh all the way to the bank.

I understand all the words, just not in this order :v:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I'm referring to CannonFodder's mpg disincentive

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

30 day leave of absence is almost over, don't get my sleep study results until the 2nd, unemployment is gone and i feel as hosed as if i had actually been driving <3

Time to say gently caress it and drive a triaxle!

Why the gently caress does the blue turtles need a sleep study anyway?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why the gently caress does the blue turtles need a sleep study anyway?

BP was over 140/90 and BMI was over 35. That's literally it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

BP was over 140/90 and BMI was over 35. That's literally it.

gently caress dealing with that poo poo, see if you can get a local gig. Also, you are too young for that high of a BP.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not to mention that the highway stuff isn't going to help your bmi or sodium intake.

When I got out of the hospital in 2013 I was 240lbs, considered overweight by bmi but looked super sickly thin. I would look anorexic at a 25 bmi which is still considered over weight.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mine was usually 160/110, BMI was around 30. Then found out I'm diabetic and have high cholesterol on top of all of that!

I got a job stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. The weight hasn't come off much yet, but my blood sugar is way down (sometimes too low, I've started keeping my glucose meter on me along with glucose tablets), as is my blood pressure (it was 115/67 about an hour ago, though it always spikes to at least 150/100 when I'm at the dr's).

I grew up on the border of Mexico/Texas. My diet growing up had a lot of lard and fried poo poo in it, to put it mildly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ijustam posted:

I'm referring to CannonFodder's mpg disincentive

Now it makes sense, the brain is a wonderful thing.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress dealing with that poo poo, see if you can get a local gig. Also, you are too young for that high of a BP.

31 and have spent the last few months not just sedentary, but sedimentary. I have family in the state, so i'm debating asking if strings can be pulled for a plow/dump job. Ok pay and great benefits.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

31 and have spent the last few months not just sedentary, but sedimentary. I have family in the state, so i'm debating asking if strings can be pulled for a plow/dump job. Ok pay and great benefits.

That's what I'm going to do when I retire, so I never have to drive in the snow or at night again.

:toot:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Not to mention that the highway stuff isn't going to help your bmi or sodium intake.

When I got out of the hospital in 2013 I was 240lbs, considered overweight by bmi but looked super sickly thin. I would look anorexic at a 25 bmi which is still considered over weight.

Aren't you like over two meters tall?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah.

The bmi thing completely falls apart once you get taller. It doesn't seem to take into account the muscle required to control massive limbs and such.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Yeah.

The bmi thing completely falls apart once you get taller. It doesn't seem to take into account the muscle required to control massive limbs and such.

6'5" and 400lbs a month ago here. I'm visibly fat, but people never guess anywhere near my actual weight. The lovely part is that even though i won't be running any significant distances, i'm not so unhealthy i can't walk several miles, lift and move heavy poo poo all day, etc. But i still get loving pegged for a sleep study :/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
BMI is bullshit. Mine is 25.5, overweight. Everyone thinks I'm skinny.

drat tall-people tax.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

30.4 Obese.
I'm overweight for sure (beer gut of beer guts), but 'obese' is hilarious. BMI is dumb.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ozmiander posted:

6'5" and 400lbs a month ago here. I'm visibly fat, but people never guess anywhere near my actual weight. The lovely part is that even though i won't be running any significant distances, i'm not so unhealthy i can't walk several miles, lift and move heavy poo poo all day, etc. But i still get loving pegged for a sleep study :/

Holy poo poo, I am 6'7" and 310 and visibly fat (big ole gut and a bunch of face/arm fat). Most people are ~80 pounds too low guessing my weight. Thanks to my job the last couple years I'm now built like a brick shithouse under the fat, and I am the widest-shouldered person I've ever seen. You have to be a huge dude in every dimension at two inches shorter and another 90 pounds. We should hang out and take over a town by force or something.

BMI "accuracy" tops out around 6 feet tall (ie 3 inches over the average American male height). My dad had a pulmonary embolism and spent a month in hospital. He's 6'4" and only a bit less wide in the chest/shoulders than me, a long-haul distance bicyclist so not carrying much fat and mostly lean muscle when he went in. He came out at 220 pounds and looked like a hideous emaciated skeleton man, like seriously a character from a mummy movie or something. His BMI at 6'4" 220 lbs? 26.8 (overweight). :wtc:

Mine's 34.9, ie hilariously obese.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, I am 6'7" and 310 and visibly fat (big ole gut and a bunch of face/arm fat). Most people are ~80 pounds too low guessing my weight. Thanks to my job the last couple years I'm now built like a brick shithouse under the fat, and I am the widest-shouldered person I've ever seen. You have to be a huge dude in every dimension at two inches shorter and another 90 pounds. We should hang out and take over a town by force or something.

BMI "accuracy" tops out around 6 feet tall (ie 3 inches over the average American male height). My dad had a pulmonary embolism and spent a month in hospital. He's 6'4" and only a bit less wide in the chest/shoulders than me, a long-haul distance bicyclist so not carrying much fat and mostly lean muscle when he went in. He came out at 220 pounds and looked like a hideous emaciated skeleton man, like seriously a character from a mummy movie or something. His BMI at 6'4" 220 lbs? 26.8 (overweight). :wtc:

Mine's 34.9, ie hilariously obese.

2.3 Brick Shithouses.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm 6'2" around 210 pounds and athletic build. I usually consider myself a fairly large person and this last page has made me feel small. I've got a buddy built like you guys. He has this novelty giant size beer mug that he brings camping, and when he holds it it just looks like a normal pint mug. He weighs somewhere around 350 pounds, but benches multiple reps of over 500lbs. And he downhill mountainbikes.

Also, which one of you is this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bhwC3qz_Q

Edit: For trucking content... If I can convince the murmaids that time slows down when traveling near the speed of light, maybe this logbook will make sense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But mass increases as you approach the speed of light. If you were traveling fast enough for your logbook to make sense, you were well overweight so that's a ticket either way. Assuming you get the guy with the knowledge of theoretical physics.

I woke up at 6am this morning and got pumped full of benadryl around 1 pm. Then at 7pm found out out i have to go out tomorrow night at 8pm. I fought off sleeping all afternoon to preserve my sleep schedule, and now i have to figure out a way to get into nights. If i sleep now i doubt i'll wake up for an alarm before 6am, but i'm crashing hard.

Trying to do the time math of naps and exercise to have me waking up restedish around 5pm but i just can't brain.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/tmxQhAdhGQI

This is how you go down a hill.

:clint:

Also, I don't know how you oversized bastards don't knock yourselves silly getting in these small pick-ups and poo poo.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Speaking of high blood pressure; I just had my medical done last week (needed it to get my permit). All total they took my BP about 10 times, but the first 4 or 5 times, I was reading something insane like 16X / 12X, and I even said to the nurse (and then doctor) that BP like that usually means you're a dead man. I guess he could tell from the fact that I was starting to sweat like mad and my heart was going nuts that I'm nervous around doctors, especially when they read off a blood pressure normally only seen on someone that's dying. So the doctor ended up slowly calming me down, until my BP dropped to a regular level (I honestly don't remember it off the top of my head, and the medical sheet is pinned to my permit and other driving paperwork in the car*). He says he's seen that before, and called it white coat syndrome, where anytime you see a doctor, your body goes full panic.

* I leave it in there so I never forget it when heading to trucking school. You have to be able to produce it anytime they ask, or they won't let you drive the trucks until you go and get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

:staredog: Yeah...I was on board with this until about 3:13. Yikes.

• Locked thread