Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
When korra lost her connection to the past avatars, I thought the avatar state would be weakened. In the original series, it seemed to me like the past avatars lent their strength or techniques. But then the show contradicted itself with the wan storyline.

The avatar stage is just too powerful. In the atla, aang couldn't couldn't control it when he was in it. This is important so they could use other story elements other than an instant win button. They couldn't do the same thing again, so they let korra use it whenever she wants. But that's a problem because she could absolutely wreck everyone at any time. In past seasons they just had her forget about it.

In season four, they had this ptsd stuff. I thought there were going to be some interesting story elements to it, but mostly it seems to me like just an excuse for her to stay out of the avatar state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

captain innocuous posted:

In season four, they had this ptsd stuff. I thought there were going to be some interesting story elements to it, but mostly it seems to me like just an excuse for her to stay out of the avatar state.

We are almost halfway through the season and Korra has struggled with depression and recovery, abandoned her friends and family to travel around the world trying to figure out her place in it, met Toph and learned one of the causes of her issues (although now we know it's not the main one), and has just been totally unable to keep up in a fight with any bender with or without the avatar state and you think there haven't been any interesting story elements to it? It's literally been the entire focus of her story so far this book.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ImpAtom posted:

It's an abuse of power and frequently unnecessary, and if you should happen to be hit by a meteor or something while using the Avatar state to get a coke from the fridge, welp, that's the end of the Avatar.
I've thought about this, and if the Avatar state puts the Avatar at risk of perma-death (no reincarnation), then if anything it should only be used for frivolous, safe things like racing with children. Whenever she uses it in a fight, she puts herself at risk of perma-death. Remember that close call Aang had in Ba Sing Se?

CeallaSo posted:

Because calling upon the spirits of 1000 dead heroes to make you win at a children's game is generally considered to be bad form.
Those dead heroes are just compartmentalized memories within Korra's soul. I'm sure they don't mind.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know the system has existed for 10,000 years, but did they ever say how many Avatars there were?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Probably less than a thousand. Somewhere between 100 and 200.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Everybody wants to see the Avatar exact some divine vengeance justice.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know the system has existed for 10,000 years, but did they ever say how many Avatars there were?

Baron Bifford posted:

Probably less than a thousand. Somewhere between 100 and 200.

This is probably right. Avatars seem to be mostly exceptionally long-lived. Kyoshi was 230 for instance and Aang was arguably 166. Roku died at the relatively young age of 70 because of the volcano. No idea how old Wan was but he looked pretty old. Kuruk apparently died pretty young though.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Kuruk apparently died pretty young though.

There is zero chance Kuruk didn't use Avatar State for the raddest surfing session ever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rosalind posted:

This is probably right. Avatars seem to be mostly exceptionally long-lived. Kyoshi was 230 for instance and Aang was arguably 166. Roku died at the relatively young age of 70 because of the volcano. No idea how old Wan was but he looked pretty old. Kuruk apparently died pretty young though.

I guess it'd be possible for there to be less than 100 Avatars then.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Isn't "10,000" just Chinese slang for "a whole lot"?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Maybe, but it's probably literally 10000 years here.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Toshimo posted:

If I remember right, Wan's name means something similar, like "thousand" or "first"

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 10, 2014

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
"Wan" is a unit of 10,000 in Chinese (and can be used to refer to an infinitely large number in everyday speech, yeah). As for meaning "first", well... Wan. One. :v:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
It seems like the number 10,000 is to the Chinese the way English speakers sometimes use "a million" colloquially to mean some vague, but very large number.

The point is you aren't supposed to know just how many avatars there's been. It's more mythic that way. I prefer it mysterious. The avatar is a force of nature that exists beyond human reckoning, and that includes something as mundane as counting.

When Roku says a Thousand Lifetimes, he's being poetic. There could be 950, or 1500, or 10,000. It's an expression meant to convey gravity and let puny mortals know who they are dealing with.

It's really too bad they stripped out one of the more interesting facets of the show.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Couldn't somebody just count all those cute little Avatar statues at the shrines? :v:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

blurry! posted:

It's really too bad they stripped out one of the more interesting facets of the show.

I honestly think it's temporary. I mean, in Season 1 she got her bending taken away and it magically came back via what amounts to deux ex machina. A similar thing can happen again. Maybe the past avatars can say something like, "we wanted you to learn how to live and make decisions on your own" or something.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
To add to the deluge of reasons given why casual Avatar State is less than ideal, the Avatar State takes a lot out the Avatar's body. Aang was in continuous Avatar State for 100 years and his life was shortened due to the strain.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I guess it'd be possible for there to be less than 100 Avatars then.

True, but apparently Kyoshi was the longest-lived. I'd imagine there were a lot of early deaths like Roku as well given the hazardous nature of the job. My guess is 100-150.

Rosalind posted:

I'm actually not sure whether Avatars tend to live longer than the normal population. Kyoshi apparently transferred leadership of Kyoshi Island to her daughter Koko when she died, and assuming Kyoshi had the fertility span of a normal woman that would put her daughter close to 200. Bumi was also very long-lived.

enraged_camel posted:

I honestly think it's temporary. I mean, in Season 1 she got her bending taken away and it magically came back via what amounts to deux ex machina. A similar thing can happen again. Maybe the past avatars can say something like, "we wanted you to learn how to live and make decisions on your own" or something.

Season 1 is the main reason I think her past lives may come back. Like I've said before, I'm torn on whether that's a good thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sato posted:

I'm actually not sure whether Avatars tend to live longer than the normal population. Kyoshi apparently transferred leadership of Kyoshi Island to her daughter Koko when she died, and assuming Kyoshi had the fertility span of a normal woman that would put her daughter close to 200. Bumi was also very long-lived.

I think powerful benders in general are very long-lived, because something something chi. Hence why Sokka is the only one dead besides Aang. :v:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think powerful benders in general are very long-lived, because something something chi. Hence why Sokka is the only one dead besides Aang. :v:

I considered that myself and wouldn't be surprised if you were right. We don't technically know that Koko was an earthbender though; none of the Kyoshi warriors were.

And I choose to believe that Sokka died in battle. :colbert:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Toshimo posted:

In Buddhist mythology, they use a big, round number to refer to "a longer period of time than we can/are not supposed to calculate." Like 5000 or 10,000 years. When is the next Buddha coming? 5,000 years. That sort of thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dj_clawson posted:

In Buddhist mythology, they use a big, round number to refer to "a longer period of time than we can/are not supposed to calculate." Like 5000 or 10,000 years. When is the next Buddha coming? 5,000 years. That sort of thing.
So it's kinda like how "a ton" is used in English? In that it has an explicit meaning of 1000 kilograms (approximately, depending on region) but is also colloquially used to mean "a large amount."

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 11, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

JT Jag posted:

So it's kinda like how "a ton" is used in English? In that it has an explicit meaning of 1,000 kilograms but is also colloquially used to mean "a large amount."

Yes.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I now want a series based on the 2nd avatar ever. Imagine being the first born to have the powers.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Also as the second Avatar I guess your Avatar state isn't overly helpful. It's one dude's life experiences, and he was an idiot!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I think the Wan episode reestablished the Avatar state as the Avatar tapping not into the power of the previous Avatars, but into the power of Raava. Hence why Korra's Avatar state is presumably just as powerful as it ever was, despite her connection to all of the previous Avatars being severed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Quixotic1 posted:

I now want a series based on the 2nd avatar ever. Imagine being the first born to have the powers.

Was Wan considered Fire Nation?

Was Avatar 2.0 an Airbender?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Toshimo posted:

Those are probably safe assumptions.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Most likely. He started with fire as his primary element, and the montage showed him learning them in the order of the avatar cycle.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Kuruk apparently died pretty young though.
My personal opinion is that Kuruk, after losing his wife, realized what an utter fuckup as an avatar he was and suicided so the power would go to someone who would actually do something useful with it.

Also, does it seem that the previous Avatars appear to the current Avatar as the age they were when they died, or when they were at their most powerful, or what? How do they determine what their appearance is? I mean if Kyoshi lived to be over 200, her manifestation doesn't look a day over like 40.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'd guess they manifest themselves at the point of their life they felt most satisfied with; most of them just went with what they were like when they kicked the bucket, though there are some exceptions (I.E. Wan, most likely Kyoshi).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Also as the second Avatar I guess your Avatar state isn't overly helpful. It's one dude's life experiences, and he was an idiot!

"Avatar Wan, I, the Second Avatar, seek your guidance and wisdom. What do I do about this evil warlord that's wrecking poo poo up and causing imbalance all over?"

":shrug:"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I want to see more Iroh. He was by far the most badass character in ATLA.

And he's awesome even without his bending

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Caros posted:

Most likely. He started with fire as his primary element, and the montage showed him learning them in the order of the avatar cycle.

I assumed this was why the Avatar Cycle is what it is, rather than some other progression of the elements.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So far, three of the elements have a "regular" version and one or two "upgraded" version.

Earth: Metal/Lava
Water: Blood
Fire: Lightning/Explosion

What about Air? The only thing I could think of is that Zaheer could fly, but that was more of a meditation technique (letting go of his earthly ties) rather than another type of bending.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

So far, three of the elements have a "regular" version and one or two "upgraded" version.

What about Air? The only thing I could think of is that Zaheer could fly, but that was more of a meditation technique (letting go of his earthly ties) rather than another type of bending.

Fartbending.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Air apparently has the spirit related stuff that Jinora does. And maybe the suffocating thing Zaheer did.

And fartbending.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
And soundbending.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
murderapersononscreeniashowforkidsbending

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

RottenK posted:

murderapersononscreeniashowforkidsbending

Woah, woah, woah. The Earth Queen didn't die and you have no proof that she actually did. No one actually ever said she died. She just went to live with Jet, Combustion Man, Chin the Conqueror, Ming-Hua, Ghazan, P'Li, Noatak, and Tarrlok in peace and happiness on... Kangaroo Island. I hear it's really hopping.

Jeeze this show is getting quite the body count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalind posted:

Woah, woah, woah. The Earth Queen didn't die and you have no proof that she actually did. No one actually ever said she died. She just went to live with Jet, Combustion Man, Chin the Conqueror, Ming-Hua, Ghazan, P'Li, Noatak, and Tarrlok in peace and happiness on... Kangaroo Island. I hear it's really hopping.

Jeeze this show is getting quite the body count.
YOu forgot Katara's mom and thousands of Airbenders, including Monk Gyatso, who now lives without a skeleton.

• Locked thread