Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

cheerfullydrab posted:

Has anyone figured out that all the wacky thread title changes, megathread purges, joke moderators, and such that are supposed to encourage people to just post will never do anything as long as rules are arbitrary, ever-changing, and enforced by capricious power trippers? I'm saying if people are afraid to post that's what really has to change and I don't think that's some kind of LF-esque "no mods no masters" sentiment.

EW may have been right about the culture change but he also doesn't post much outside of lawthreads and barely moderates so that helped too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
My department is thankfully quite flush, both in terms of funding and opportunities for student teaching. I'm teaching an online course and doing work for the dean's office this semester in lieu of normal obligations. I guess what I'm saying is there are plenty of opportunities to be a horrible stooge of the system while being a teaching grad student.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Joementum posted:

If you're afraid to post, you're being silly.
There absolutely are times where somebody reading a thread sees a perfectly normal post that somebody got probated for, clicks the link to the leper's colony, and sees the reason given being "LOL" or something. Dnd isn't very bad right now though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i knew that if i clicked your rap sheet, i'd see

Worthless post. User loses posting privileges for 3 days. evilweasel

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

questioning dnd's lust for korean blood is worthless

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's a reason I got the gently caress out of academia.

I like the relaxed posting style. Lets people be chill.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

questioning dnd's lust for korean blood is worthless

Only Korean thing I lust for is bibimbap. :kimchi:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R. Mute posted:

Do you have archives? I genuinely don't remember what it was for. I remember two of those on there but I honestly had forgotten about that. Probably was justified, the post in question is probably embarrassing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Only Korean thing I lust for is bibimbap. :kimchi:

seconded

AYCE korean bbq is still better though imho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

Do you have archives? I genuinely don't remember what it was for. I remember two of those on there but I honestly had forgotten about that. Probably was justified, the post in question is probably embarrassing.

---
I find the most horrific part of this thread not the fantasy scenarios themselves, the fact that people seem to really enjoy going on for pages about the specific fantasy elements of DPRK underwater sub-delivered nukes and how many big blammo cave guns are pointed at Seoul. You're really typing all this stuff with vigor and enthusiasm? It's all just hypotheticals where a lot of totally blameless people get killed for little to no reason, I don't see the exciting or interesting elements in that.
---

Thread title is "North Korea 'cancels' hotline and nonagression agreement".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/531940667216625666

:allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So lonelygirl15 but with more rape threats? :smith:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

---
I find the most horrific part of this thread not the fantasy scenarios themselves, the fact that people seem to really enjoy going on for pages about the specific fantasy elements of DPRK underwater sub-delivered nukes and how many big blammo cave guns are pointed at Seoul. You're really typing all this stuff with vigor and enthusiasm? It's all just hypotheticals where a lot of totally blameless people get killed for little to no reason, I don't see the exciting or interesting elements in that.
---

Thread title is "North Korea 'cancels' hotline and nonagression agreement".
the best part of worthless post probations is that you know you managed to get evilweasel all riled up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Looks like I just got in trouble for posting about posting. Which is actually relevant to this and I abandon all my recently stated opinions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

See I was appalled at wargeek circlejerks about how cool big explosions might be, and I still am, but you can be appalled at something without posting about it. That's where I screwed up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama granted an interview to the Chinese state media :raise:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I just read an article on Jstor, how mad does that make you?

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate academia since I began to live. There are 387.44 million new footnotes everyday that reference bland observations and celebrate bold-faced lies. If the word 'hate' was search-replaced on each inkpoint of superscripted tomfoolery those hundreds of mentions would not equal one-billonth of the hate I feel for academia at this micro-instant. For you. Hass. Hass!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

seconded

AYCE korean bbq is still better though imho

You talkin bout bulgogi? It's good stuff.

Other good Korean stuff: This gif

Not interested in their music, I just like watching this gif.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

If you're afraid to post, you're being silly.

Is that so?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ok, so one of them is an autoban, but seriously.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation

Randler posted:

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate academia since I began to live. There are 387.44 million new footnotes everyday that reference bland observations and celebrate bold-faced lies. If the word 'hate' was search-replaced on each inkpoint of superscripted tomfoolery those hundreds of mentions would not equal one-billonth of the hate I feel for academia at this micro-instant. For you. Hass. Hass!

If you have a differential source for that 387.44 million number, I'd love to have it- I'm working on finding better sampling procedures for citation database structures and this would give me a proxy for power calculation purposes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nobody would accuse you of being afraid to post, Willa. :)

And I enjoy your posting!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

Nobody would accuse you of being afraid to post, Willa. :)

And I enjoy your posting!

ty, but that list is p. much why I don't post here much anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

If you have a differential source for that 387.44 million number, I'd love to have it- I'm working on finding better sampling procedures for citation database structures and this would give me a proxy for power calculation purposes.

I have no source and I must cite.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

the best part of worthless post probations is that you know you managed to get evilweasel all riled up.

willa how do you get him so mad

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thankfully, that's a lot easier to operationally define and capture. Stephen A. Greenberg has a couple decent articles on that sort of distortion practice.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Randler posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:golfclap:

Discendo Vox posted:

Thankfully, that's a lot easier to operationally define and capture. Stephen A. Greenberg has a couple decent articles on that sort of distortion practice.

Way to bust up the flow, square. :mad:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

willa how do you get him so mad

Seriously, it must be magic. I see great posts, but somewhere along the way a powerful illusion is changing the text solely on evilweasel's screen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:golfclap:

Way to bust up the flow, square. :mad:

Someone with more disposable income should revamp his avatar to incorporate :thesperg:. The tone argument thing, although really applicable to how well he'd do in old D&D, has lost its lustre.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I have to say the number of images in the Leper's Colony has gotten a little out of control recently.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Seriously, it must be magic. I see great posts, but somewhere along the way a powerful illusion is changing the text solely on evilweasel's screen.

Yeah that's why a ton of folks don't post here anymore.

I mean sure I am a poo poo poster, but a lot of actually good posters left.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
bring back mccaine's reign of terror

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
and light s&m

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Someone with more disposable income should revamp his avatar to incorporate :thesperg:. The tone argument thing, although really applicable to how well he'd do in old D&D, has lost its lustre.

The joke was that the Greenberg articles don't actually discuss what I was citing them for.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

R. Mute posted:

does he do 'good' moderating at all? all I ever see from him is him ordering posters to never post in a thread again which is dumb imo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah that's why a ton of folks don't post here anymore.

I mean sure I am a poo poo poster, but a lot of actually good posters left.

posting émigrés, disgusting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

The joke was that the Greenberg articles don't actually discuss what I was citing them for.

More fool I. Hoist by my own petard!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hey guys let's not turn this thread into a wasteland like QCS

i tried binding of isaac rebirth, really digging the remake. killed mom in my first run, crashed the computer and corrupted the game somehow. it feels like divine intervention to keep me from pissing away many hours on this game.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
one day i hope to achieve posting notoriety on these forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

one day i hope to achieve posting notoriety on these forums

To some it comes naturally. Eripsa, Hellbeard, MIGF...

Me, I've been a cantankerous, pedantic rear end for a while, and not a single red text to show for it.

• Locked thread