Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

Bummer. I was thinking of loading it up tonight too.

It's neat because each radio plays a radio show at you. But compared to Halloween 2013 it's really bad. And the mission literally ends in the bunker from Red Hand. Exact same layout. Exact same locked doors sending you in directions. It's the pinnacle of lazy all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

So I finally did Halloween 2014. It's uh...not really all that great.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but it feels like there was supposed to be more to it. They probably got rid of all the bits they couldn't get working?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I ran it every day for a week and my initial positive impression soured pretty quickly. The bossfight gimmick for the hard mode was alright, but structuring an achievement such that you must run it a minimum of three times would be way more okay if some of the radios weren't in completely lovely places to just hoof it to. Carpathian Fangs, for example, is about as far from anything as a place in this game can get without being in a Lair's armpit.

Meanwhile, all of the Solomon Island radios are within arm's reach. It's as if they intended for the mission to be doable by characters of any level - and then put the dungeon at the back of a bunch of vampires in Besieged Farmlands. The dungeon's also got problems with detecting when a character enters any of its spooky poo poo zones and I'm pretty sure the event mission is serving as a blocker for Test Run, from the nearby vampire hunter.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

doomfunk posted:

... lovely places to just hoof it to ...
I just started this game. Are there mounts of some kind or something else that can reduce the travel time while you are in one location?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nektu posted:

I just started this game. Are there mounts of some kind or something else that can reduce the travel time while you are in one location?

You should go die.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Nektu posted:

There's various levels of faster sprinting you can activate outside of combat. I don't remember the button for it, but you buy the faster ones at your headquarters and they're unlocked gradually as you rank up with your faction.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

flatluigi posted:

You should go die.
Well, nice to meet you too :tipshat:

Pesterchum posted:

There's various levels of faster sprinting you can activate outside of combat. I don't remember the button for it, but you buy the faster ones at your headquarters and they're unlocked gradually as you rank up with your faction.
Ah, Ill check that out.

Unrelated: This game really is the best single player RPG.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Nektu posted:

Well, nice to meet you too :tipshat:

flatluigi was unsuccessfully trying to communicate that if you type /reset, it kills you ingame and gives you a list of anima wells you've discovered that you can respawn at. There's no cooldown on it or res sickness ala world of warcraft, so feel free to do it often to jump between distant anima wells, as long as you remember it costs about 10% durability on any items you're wearing. Repair often.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I bought a set of QL0 gear from the Kingsmouth vendor and made a "Reset" gear manager slot just for this, and it's saved me a lot. It also gives me an excuse to use that burning torch you get from the investigation mission in London.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Okay, fellas. I'm reinstalling and I want to be a solo machine.

The elements of combat don't interest me as much as the world and the stories. I want to stomp my way through whatever fighting kind of interferes with these things.

I know by mid / late game I will have to branch out a bunch and work on different tactics and skill-sets depending on the mobs. Until the game ramps up under me, I want to just breeze everything as easily as possible.

What is a good build to be as self-reliant and solo dominant as possible?

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
So I'm new and just completed the Hellraiser dungeon, but it didn't ended for me after the last boss was slain. No cutscene, no completion reward and after exit it's back to tier one. My duo partner got it however :/. Anywhere I can send a report?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The Welper posted:

I'm having good luck in Kingsmouth with a Chaos/Shotgun deck that takes a total of 53 points to put together.

1 point each in blades and fists for the healing passives.
13 points in shotgun, up to buckshot and breaching shot.
38 points to max both starter chaos trees.

Passives: Lick your wounds, Immortal Spirit, Hit & run, Dead on target, Chaos adept, Intensity, Probability

Actives: Buckshot, Escalation, Schism, Out for a kill, Illusion, Breaching shot, Domino effect

Use escalation to build shotgun resources on multiple enemies at once, then watch them all get mowed down by a hit & run chain reaction once you kill the first one.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Dervyn posted:

So I'm new and just completed the Hellraiser dungeon, but it didn't ended for me after the last boss was slain. No cutscene, no completion reward and after exit it's back to tier one. My duo partner got it however :/. Anywhere I can send a report?

You could try sending a petition via the help menu. No idea whether they'll complete the quest for you, but it's worth a shot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

You could try sending a petition via the help menu. No idea whether they'll complete the quest for you, but it's worth a shot.

Some GMs will say they don't have the power, some will say they aren't allowed, others will tell you that you did the mission wrong, another group will tell you it's bugged and the final group will fix the problem.

Good luck.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The Welper posted:

Okay, fellas. I'm reinstalling and I want to be a solo machine.

The elements of combat don't interest me as much as the world and the stories. I want to stomp my way through whatever fighting kind of interferes with these things.

I know by mid / late game I will have to branch out a bunch and work on different tactics and skill-sets depending on the mobs. Until the game ramps up under me, I want to just breeze everything as easily as possible.

Almost any weapon can work for what you want, so it might help to experiment with the early lines of all weapons since any solo dominating build is going to rely on branching out a lot between passive options from basically everywhere. And, generally-speaking, later builds with a weapon will feel more or less like early builds with a weapon - they'll just do some stuff differently.

I set my guy as an AR leech healer to cover healing for the duo in which I normally play and to be able to PUG most dungeons. I found that, by the curious nature of leech healing, there's very little I can't solo with a good gun and good talismans. But, I know leech healing really well at this point and it might not be for everyone as sometimes in intermediate gameplay you can't count on yourself to penetrate or crit new encounters.

I have also seen sword/AR work well. Through sword you get a lot of defensive abilities, including an amazing defensive click buff in your first 60 AP, and through AR you gain a lot of range potential for precision-pulling and the ability to just pop off Shot of Anima or Transfuse Anima to spike your health back up as you need. I'm fond of using Anticoagulant to turn all of my many leach heal attacks into Affliction application engines to exploit the myriad of passives that tack on extra stuff to Afflicted targets, as well. Picking up Leeching Frenzy will also tack on a HoT on virtually any sword AOE and potentially apply Anticoagulant.

Basically the assault rifle is a great weapon for solo play, though... at this point pretty much all weapons are great for solo - it's just the only heal stick that happens to also hit really loving hard when built to heal. But, if you have any more specific weapons you super like, mention that and we can give you good builds for soloing with those too.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the replies, it's more if it happens again. The dungeons so far are thankfully not as long as those in my last MMO, CoH's task forces, so it isn't a big deal at the moment. My brother and I just find the group experience in general a bit buggy (or inconsistent) and not as smooth as we like.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dervyn posted:

the group experience in general a bit buggy (or inconsistent) and not as smooth as we like.

Tsw.txt

Edit: Saw an announcement for a "new scenario weekend" and was semi-excited. I thought maybe code stopped being so hard and we got new ones finally!

Nope. Not at all. Just another extra Euro weekend.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 13, 2014

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

flatluigi posted:

You should go die.

I see they still haven't given players Segway mounts. I am disappointed to hear this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Tsw.txt

Edit: Saw an announcement for a "new scenario weekend" and was semi-excited. I thought maybe code stopped being so hard and we got new ones finally!

Nope. Not at all. Just another extra Euro weekend.

I'm hoping this means there are tons of people running scenarios all weekend. I need to get my hands on those aureuses and augments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

fullTimeLurker posted:

I see they still haven't given players Segway mounts. I am disappointed to hear this.

They gave us the thriller dance. It technically was paid dlc though. You had to spend 960 funcom points to buy a box then use the party box on 10 players.

Edit:

quote:

Dear evilbillmurray,

We invite you to take part

I don't believe that for a second.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 13, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is there a sadder phrase in the English language than "Scenario weekend in the Secret World"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Is there a sadder phrase in the English language than "Scenario weekend in the Secret World"

McRib is back?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Started this up and have been playing a couple days. I'm still on the starter zombie island thing.

I feel kind of squishy. Almost all the enemies have red names and most of the quests I find say Hard or higher. If this because I am low level, because I am using skills wrong, because I need to make/buy better gear somewhere?

Noob questions I am sure, but it is slightly frustrating when I'm enjoying the game otherwise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Light Gun Man posted:

Started this up and have been playing a couple days. I'm still on the starter zombie island thing.

I feel kind of squishy. Almost all the enemies have red names and most of the quests I find say Hard or higher. If this because I am low level, because I am using skills wrong, because I need to make/buy better gear somewhere?

Noob questions I am sure, but it is slightly frustrating when I'm enjoying the game otherwise.

Put SP in your weapons.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The partner and I started issue 8 this morning.
We haven't done any scenarios yet, but it seems like a lot of people don't like the system. What's with that? Would a leech healer and hammer/shotgun tank in mixed blues and purples be able to duo them on decent difficulties or should we recruit others for max payout?
Note I have the abilities and gear to swap wholesale to Fist if necessary. I just prefer AR.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

doomfunk posted:

The partner and I started issue 8 this morning.
We haven't done any scenarios yet, but it seems like a lot of people don't like the system. What's with that? Would a leech healer and hammer/shotgun tank in mixed blues and purples be able to duo them on decent difficulties or should we recruit others for max payout?
Note I have the abilities and gear to swap wholesale to Fist if necessary. I just prefer AR.

I can't speak for anyone else but I just don't think they're fun. 15 minute wave defense missions where you may or may not actually get any augments? No thanks.

I have more than enough bullion to make the gear and all the skills and experience to do I just don't think it's fun.

I do think they've fixed some of the bugs at launch. Like the announcer won't say "snipers inbound" and then suddenly a sandstorm kicks in.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I can see fun potential there but with just a duo that was pretty rough and not enough was happening. There is potential... but the million pax bypass is pretty attractive.

I really like the outfit though. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

doomfunk posted:

but the million pax bypass is pretty attractive.

Ahahahaha hope you like obtuse and poorly written text adventures!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Well... I have beaten every Zork game... Including the one where you have to twist a rose to change the direction of the wind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

doomfunk posted:

Well... I have beaten every Zork game... Including the one where you have to twist a rose to change the direction of the wind.

From my understanding those are more lenient than Funcoms parser. I haven't really played many but I did the mission with Raiser and Cheston and even they thought some of it was bullshit.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

From my understanding those are more lenient than Funcoms parser. I haven't really played many but I did the mission with Raiser and Cheston and even they thought some of it was bullshit.

Be sure to check your inventory, because once you load the Assault Rifle you have to refer to it as "Loaded Assault Rifle".

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

I recommend just using a guide for the entire quest. You don't lose anything, really, because the adventure is badly written and the parser is complete junk.

Also, it's not even loaded rifle, it's loadedrifle. As in "use loadedrifle". Why? Who knows.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Kessel posted:

Also, it's not even loaded rifle, it's loadedrifle. As in "use loadedrifle". Why? Who knows.

Even as I was typing it, I knew it had to have been worse.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Even as I was typing it, I knew it had to have been worse.

And don't forget that bit in the Blue Mountain section. You know the one.

Using the inventory command frequently will save you some time. Funcom only wants you to play it THEIR way.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

And don't forget that bit in the Blue Mountain section. You know the one.

Using the inventory command frequently will save you some time. Funcom only wants you to play it THEIR way.

Why did you remind me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TracerM17 posted:

Why did you remind me.

I gave up at that point. I never bothered with the text bit the rest of the mission because gently caress that bullshit.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Origin has a sale on the basic edition of TSW for $7.49. Tell your friends, it's a trap.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I have finally joined the ranks of the elite and finished The Cost of Magic.

I was on 2/6 for so long, then I remember what someone said here and just ran through all those sneaky puzzles and land mines. It took me a couple times but I just loaded up on health and eventually got my way to the ladders.

The jumping puzzle part took me about 20 tries or so, but it was quick and mostly painless.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
20 tries, sounds faster than most people I watch doing it, at least :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Personally I do that section by deliberately dying about a third of the way through it and rezzing on a nearby platform that's right at the end, but can see where I died so yay, skipping most of the challenge.

But then I do most stealth missions by dying repeatedly so maybe I'm just strange.

• Locked thread