Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone here played Heroes of a Broken Land? It does look really interesting but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it.

I found it to be fun up until the mid-game when the last remaining bits of resource management are buried under endless piles of gold and store-bought potions. I still play it, but rarely stick with the same save past level 10 heroes or so.

The demo should let you know pretty conclusively whether you'll enjoy the game or not. The only thing that doesn't show in the demo is that gold rewards shoot way up after level 6 and you can afford to drown your MP problems in potions, if you don't just get the advanced classes with MP regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

animatorZed posted:

DoomRL chat got me to fire up the game again.

Finally got a clear on HNTR. Soldier with Army of the Dead which I guess is basically the easy mode for the game, although I never really got a shotgun better than the tactical shotgun, and the double for close range.

I find that an elephant gun usually serves me better than a tactical shotgun for Army of the Dead just because once the usual penalties associated with shrapnel damage are removed it hits like a truck at any range and shottyman lets you ignore its reload time.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

cock hero flux posted:

I find that an elephant gun usually serves me better than a tactical shotgun for Army of the Dead just because once the usual penalties associated with shrapnel damage are removed it hits like a truck at any range and shottyman lets you ignore its reload time.

Yeah, I've seen other good shotguns in other runs, but that particular one I found none except for the assault shotgun which was underwhelming.

Also, update on my angel of marksmanship attempt.
Uh, apparently dualgunner blocks sharpshooter. I should maybe have doublechecked that one :cripes:

I think all the master traits are blocked now. I guess I'll fall back to putting points into hellrunner / dodge and intuition.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

animatorZed posted:

Yeah, I've seen other good shotguns in other runs, but that particular one I found none except for the assault shotgun which was underwhelming.

Also, update on my angel of marksmanship attempt.
Uh, apparently dualgunner blocks sharpshooter. I should maybe have doublechecked that one :cripes:

I think all the master traits are blocked now. I guess I'll fall back to putting points into hellrunner / dodge and intuition.

Sharpshooter is usually stronger than dualgunner and you have whiz kid to get some really pimpin pistols.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I meant I had taken dualgunner earlier, and now can't take sharpshooter like I had intended.

Moot point because I just died to the Cyberdemon like a scrub. I had a mental lapse, forgot that I was playing on AoMr for some reason, and tried to shoot the BFG a few times before I realized what an idiot I was, and then my phase device warped me a full 5 tiles away right next to him :downs:

Next time. Maybe next time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
imo, some of the strongest pistol builds don't use master traits at all; just getting dual gunner plus eagle eye plus SoB etc is enough to get an easy HNTR or HMP win.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gunkata is really strong, drat near game breaking on AoMC. High end pistol builds spend far more time reloading than firing.
Bullet Dance is worse than useless if you can reach a high enough level to up the talent caps. It actually increases your time per shot vs dualgunner + SoG 5.
Sharpshooter uses a lot less ammo and averages more damage per second with P modded or unique pistols. This is especially good if you don't manage to get a plasma pistol made.

SoB can actually make you waste ammo with dualgunner, since it can bump you over the knockback threshold, making the first shot push the target out of the way of the second thanks to janky DoomRL physics.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 11, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dis astranagant posted:

it can bump you over the knockback threshold, making the first shot push the target out of the way of the second thanks to janky DoomRL physics.

this sounds loving hilarious

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

dis astranagant posted:

since it can bump you over the knockback threshold, making the first shot push the target out of the way of the second thanks to janky DoomRL physics.

First world problems mate; you're firing shots at .4s that knock enemies back for 2/3s. First world problems.

Edit:vvvvvv I haven't gotten my UV pistol win yet, but otherwise I've yet to actually run out of ammo on my normal builds. Ao100 not applicable of course.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 11, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pistols have ammo issues no matter what you do. Wasting up to half your ammo (and taking an extra .1s to do it) adds up fast.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For a pistol user I'd almost always go with Technician. Max damage on pistols is really, really good, and knockback's incredibly beneficial when you're firing one bullet at a time. For some reason I can clear UV with pistols but haven't managed to do it with a shotgun yet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

animatorZed posted:

For future reference: The elephant gun is a basic assembly that is trivially easy to make. It's just a basic shotgun + PP. It's single shot but it really hurts, it's ammo efficient and shottyman lets you ignore its main flaw(reload time). I've assembled one as early as the Chained court before and had it carry me all the way to the end of the game with the Army of the Dead build.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Pistols have ammo issues no matter what you do. Wasting up to half your ammo (and taking an extra .1s to do it) adds up fast.

Wait, what? Pistol ammo stacks better than any other ammo and pistols deal extreme damage per shot compared to rapid-fire weapons. You could probably beat the entire game with only ten stacks of bullets.

Pistol knockback isn't too much to worry about anyway, the chance is fairly small even with 3 SoG and SoB. That's assuming that they haven't been power modded, but bulk mods/speedloader assembly is generally better.

Stelas posted:

For a pistol user I'd almost always go with Technician. Max damage on pistols is really, really good, and knockback's incredibly beneficial when you're firing one bullet at a time. For some reason I can clear UV with pistols but haven't managed to do it with a shotgun yet.

Yeah, Gun Kata is fun but Sharpshooter is definitely the best pistol build.

For shotguns, I'd recommend the scout builds, Shottyhead or Gunrunner. Because the boss fights have high armor I would recommend (non-AoSh:) somehow getting a missile launcher or BFG or (AoSh:) sucking it up and playing as a scout anyway.

Some tips:
Running mode has no downsides if you are using a ranged weapon that can't miss, like any shotgun.

Most of your kills should be standing and corner-shooting even after you get the ability to fight in the open. Reducing your reloading delay and firing delay will allow you to knock back enemies forever, like a Sharpshooter build.

Double Shotguns are very situational because of their massive reload time. The enemy you'd really like to use it against, the cyberdemon, has extreme armor and takes little damage from them. Make an elephant gun instead (Shotgun + PP) if you've got cyberdemon/baron/whatever problems. The elephant gun also takes too long to reload without move-reloading it but at least it does decent damage through armor.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Roonerspism posted:

For shotguns, I'd recommend the scout builds, Shottyhead or Gunrunner.

The scout shotgun builds are the worst. Army of the Dead is just brutal; removes all of the shotgun's normal disadvantage lets you just loving shred dudes. And Fireangel is functional invincibility to 95% of enemies plus the ability to do close-up crowd control by setting off rockets in your own face.

In comparison Shottyhead is just really underwhelming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Admittedly, I haven't touched AoMR in ages. There was a time when there was little to no 10mm ammo past about halfway in and plasma pistols were actually hard to get. AoMR is such an easy challenge that it shouldn't count if you don't YAAM it anyway :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I thought that nano'ing a plasma shotgun would be a smart idea to get me through UV but now all my cover is disintegrating around me oh god help

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Stelas posted:

I thought that nano'ing a plasma shotgun would be a smart idea to get me through UV but now all my cover is disintegrating around me oh god help

This is why the nanoshrapnel assembly is one of the best in the game. Works on virtually any shotgun, grants infinite ammunition with no regeneration time, effectively gives you the Army of the Dead trait, and doesn't destroy cover. A nanoshrapnel Super Shotgun will flat out disintegrate everything you ever meet; if you make one of those you can finish the rest of the game without picking up a single round of ammo.

That said, Plasma Shotgun (N) is a really good weapon for split-second "oh god this guy needs to be not in my face" situations and pretty handy for ammo-efficient violence in general. The cover destruction is definitely an issue, but with judicious use it should be manageable (and now you can destroy enemy cover at your leisure, which is very useful).

Good luck with your run! UV is really nasty, I still haven't been able to clear it.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

The scout shotgun builds are the worst. Army of the Dead is just brutal; removes all of the shotgun's normal disadvantage lets you just loving shred dudes. And Fireangel is functional invincibility to 95% of enemies plus the ability to do close-up crowd control by setting off rockets in your own face.

In comparison Shottyhead is just really underwhelming.

Nah, against non-boss enemies Army of the Dead only gives +2 or +4 per hit. It becomes much more noticable on multi-hit shotguns, which are bad or rare. I think shottyhead is much more useful in randomly generated levels and because of that you just have to make do without AotD in boss fights.

Fireangel's okay. Being able to run away from end-game enemies is very useful, but I rarely find myself making use of close-range rockets.

Shottyhead is extremely powerful. The shotgun strategy is 90% about repeated knockback and while it's really easy to get fast or safe reloads, firing delay is slow by comparison. With shottyhead every action you perform takes small amounts of time which means that you can more finely control the game.
It has both a visible effect on things like corner shooting going twice as smoothly and an invisible effect on racking up partial seconds here and there and giving enemies less actions.

Gunrunner's fun. It takes a lot of traits to get both Gunrunner and Shottyman and it doesn't even make you as fast as Shottyhead does but you get to flip out for 45 turns on every floor and it's great.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You can get gunrunner right before you meet the Cyberdemon and holy hell is that a fun fight with that trait. Gunrunner shoots every time you move while running and Shottyhead reloads in that same move. I end up side-stepping in front of the Cyberdemon about two tiles away and just unleashing about a dozen shells in between all his rocket shots. Hilarious.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any way to change the default colors in DoomRL console? The blue (like for blue armor) s are way too dark on my screen here and it's really hard to see.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You can gently caress with colors.lua in the base directory. The wiki should have a list of properties for you to stick in there.

e:
code:
Colors = {
  	barmor  = CYAN
}
or something like that ought to work.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 11, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Any way to change the default colors in DoomRL console? The blue (like for blue armor) s are way too dark on my screen here and it's really hard to see.

Edit colors.lua.

You can also edit the colourmap for your terminal to make blue brighter in general, but how to do that depends on the terminal emulator you're using.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Roonerspism posted:

Fireangel's okay. Being able to run away from end-game enemies is very useful, but I rarely find myself making use of close-range rockets.

You're not making full use of it, then. Rockets are also fantastic for shredding an Arch-Vile's bodyguard chaff, instagibbing high-damage low-durability jerks like Former Commandos, and blasting holes in walls so you can avoid lava/beat a hasty retreat/explode things unopposed from a relatively safe position. On top of that, Fireangel makes rocketjumping completely safe, which can have some funny applications. When you take all of that and combine it with giving very few fucks about fire-based attacks - so, the great majority of the nastier attacks in the game - you end up with a really, really good trait. It just takes some getting used to.

Bouchacha posted:

You can get gunrunner right before you meet the Cyberdemon and holy hell is that a fun fight with that trait. Gunrunner shoots every time you move while running and Shottyhead reloads in that same move. I end up side-stepping in front of the Cyberdemon about two tiles away and just unleashing about a dozen shells in between all his rocket shots. Hilarious.

One of these days I need to make a Gunrunner with Tactical Armour+Tactical Boots (or even better, the Phaseshift set with Onyx on the armour and Agility on the boots) and just zoom around at the speed of sound spraying shrapnel everywhere like a lunatic. Shame Gunrunner blocks Whizkid though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Edit colors.lua.

You can also edit the colourmap for your terminal to make blue brighter in general, but how to do that depends on the terminal emulator you're using.
Yeah I just added some green to the blues to make them more cyan and readable right in the command prompt options. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

One of these days I need to make a Gunrunner with Tactical Armour+Tactical Boots (or even better, the Phaseshift set with Onyx on the armour and Agility on the boots) and just zoom around at the speed of sound spraying shrapnel everywhere like a lunatic. Shame Gunrunner blocks Whizkid though.

The Phaseshift set are rare, not unique, so I'm pretty sure they can be turned into assemblies. Why stop at a single agility mod? Slap AAN on them to make the Antigravity Phaseshift Boots and enjoy +75% movespeed.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Whoah, I got Caves of Qud compiling without errors inside of a Unity shell. :vince:

Now to see if I can make it actually go!

It's going to be an interesting build, with essentially the entire game running on a separate thread, working with the Unity shell just via a totally airlocked thread-safe console and input channel.

e:

e: This is actually going to work...

e: It's happening

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

:dance:DoomRL YAFAP!:dance:
code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Moog, level 10 Former Human Corporal Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 85303 turns and scored 91492 points. 
 He played for 2 hours, 4 minutes and 15 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 483 out of 484 hellspawn. (99%)
 He was a real killing machine...

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 4
  Levels completed : 3

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  UAC Bronze Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #>#####################................................####
  ######################...............####...............###
  #####################.......####.....####.....####.......##
  ####################........####.....####.....####........#
  ###################.........####.....####.....####.........
  ##################........X.####..............####.........
  #################..........................................
  #################....####............................####..
  #################....####.......%....................####..
  #################....####............................####&.
  #################....####............................####..
  #################..........................................
  ##################..........#.................####.........
  ###################.........##.......####.....####.........
  ####################........####.....####.....####........#
  #####################.......####.....####.....####.......##
  ######################...............####...............###
  #>#####################................................####
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 26/50   Experience 45624/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 1)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 1)
    Whizkid          (Level 1)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Shottyhead       (Level 1)

Rel->Rel->SM->Fin->Fin->WK->Jug->HR->MSh->Int->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   energy shield [0/0] (75%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   missile launcher (6d6) [0/4]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   shell box (x57)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] double shotgun (10d3)x2 [2/2] (P1T1)
    [b] tactical shotgun (8d3) [5/5]
    [c] red armor [1/4] (17%) (B)
    [d] shotgun shell (x16)
    [e] rocket (x14)
    [f] rocket (x14)
    [g] rocket (x14)
    [h] rocket (x14)
    [i] rocket
    [j] small med-pack
    [k] small med-pack
    [l] small med-pack
    [m] small med-pack
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] phase device
    [q] thermonuclear bomb
    [r] power mod pack
    [s] bulk mod pack

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid       - internal 0%    torso 80%   feet 0%   
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 80%   feet 0%   
    Plasma     - internal 0%    torso 80%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

114 former humans
    58 former sergeants
    27 former captains
    71 imps
    30 demons
    91 lost souls
    22 cacodemons
    16 hell knights
    14 barons of hell
    4 arachnotrons
    2 former commandos
    5 pain elementals
    3 revenants
    8 mancubi
    7 arch-viles
    5 elite former humans
    2 elite former sergeants
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a fireproof armor!
  He left the Armory without drawing too much attention.
  He sounded the alarm on level 11!
  On level 11 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 14 he assembled a fireproof armor!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 22 he assembled a tactical boots!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages -------------------------------------------------- 

You reload the missile launcher. Boom! Boom! You are hit! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. Boom! You are hit! Boom! Boom! You 
 are hit! You are hit! 
 You reload the missile launcher. You are hit! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! You are 
 hit! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. You are hit! Boom! You are hit! You 
 are hit! You are hit! You are hit! 
 You are hit! Boom! Boom! You dodge! Boom! Boom! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. You are hit! You are hit! You are 
 hit! You are hit! Boom! 
 You are hit! You dodge! Boom! Boom! You dodge! Boom! Boom! You are hit! 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies. 
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>... 
 You feel relatively safe now. 

-- General --------------------------------------------------- 

15 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 13 of those were killed.
 And 1 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

1 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 1 killed the bitch and survived.

I also think this is the first time I've missed Hell's Arena, so I got to see the easy Chained Court for my first time as well.

I didn't realize I was that close to 100% kills, but I figure that if I had faced the Shambler, I woldn't have won.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Teavian posted:

I didn't realize I was that close to 100% kills, but I figure that if I had faced the Shambler, I woldn't have won.

Shamblers are surprisingly easy. I mean, they're big sacks of hit points, sure, but the Armory is full of cover to hide behind and pepper them with shot. If you hear the teleport sound, be wary of having them come from an unusual direction - but even then it isn't too hard to just dash the two squares to another doorway. They're rather nastier in the open space of the Deimos Lab.

Either way, good job!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Unormal posted:

Whoah, I got Caves of Qud compiling without errors inside of a Unity shell. :vince:

Now to see if I can make it actually go!

It's going to be an interesting build, with essentially the entire game running on a separate thread, working with the Unity shell just via a totally airlocked thread-safe console and input channel.

e:

e: This is actually going to work...

e: It's happening

So what is actually involved in doing this? Do you use any Unity things or is it purely to provide the cross-platform capability? What sort of stuff did you need to write to get it to work?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

chiefnewo posted:

So what is actually involved in doing this? Do you use any Unity things or is it purely to provide the cross-platform capability? What sort of stuff did you need to write to get it to work?

Regular Caves of Qud is a .NET 2.0 application that just interops with keyboard and console/opengl APIs. I had (mostly) abstracted those keyboard and console interactions behind some simple facades.

A bunch of people have asked for things like Mac support, and so there's a few ways to go there. Since I have Unity pretty solidly under my thumb from Sproggiwood, and it basically just runs .NET 2.0, I thought I'd see if I could just port Caves of Qud into Unity and replace the console and keyboard input with Unity versions.

Really the port consisted of:
1. Carve out the Windows-specific console, keyboard & file handling stuff.
2. Rejigger the data loaders to load from a folder in StreamedAssests
3. Rejigger the save system to write to the persistent storage folder
4. Change the keyboard interface to allow another thread to push in a list of keystrokes
5. Change the console output to just write to a critical-section protected buffer, and set a flag whenever it's updated
4. Hoist the whole CoQ system into a seperate thread (because it just spins in while loops waiting for input/etc)
5. Add a little adapter to my single manager GameObject to catch keystroke events and convert them to something CoQ understands and jam them into the keystroke queue
6. Dump the output buffer to something whenever it changes (in the first screenshot it's just the debug log, by the latest it's a gui textobject, next I'll make it a pretty console emulator)

It's still a little hurky performance-wise, I think because Unity isn't super happy with multiple threads, so I'll have to play around with it to get it smooth, but at this point I don't think there's any risk it won't work, it's just how much effort to get it polished up.

e: At first it'll just get cross-platform support, but it allows a ton of additional functionality. Like, I could actually add steamworks to it, for example; or sound/music. It's also a much stronger platform for a move to tiles, rather than rolling my own poo poo from raw OpenGL.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 12, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Holy poo poo yes, I am ready

Teavian posted:

At least with the Deimos Lab, the Shamblers don't count unless you actually release them -- they don't exist until you pull all the levers, possibly because otherwise they'd have a chance of randomly teleporting out of their cage and thunderfucking you to death two turns into the level. Does the Armoury not work the same way?

Roonerspism posted:

Gunrunner's fun. It takes a lot of traits to get both Gunrunner and Shottyman and it doesn't even make you as fast as Shottyhead does but you get to flip out for 45 turns on every floor and it's great.

I thought you could only ever take one Master trait, even if you had all the skills for both?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shottyman only requires 2x Reloader. It's not a master trait.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I had a lot of fun with Shottyman+Gunrunner; less because it works with shotguns, more because it works with rocket/missile launchers :getin:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 12, 2014

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Unormal posted:

Regular Caves of Qud is a .NET 2.0 application that just interops with keyboard and console/opengl APIs. I had (mostly) abstracted those keyboard and console interactions behind some simple facades.

A bunch of people have asked for things like Mac support, and so there's a few ways to go there. Since I have Unity pretty solidly under my thumb from Sproggiwood, and it basically just runs .NET 2.0, I thought I'd see if I could just port Caves of Qud into Unity and replace the console and keyboard input with Unity versions.

Really the port consisted of:
1. Carve out the Windows-specific console, keyboard & file handling stuff.
2. Rejigger the data loaders to load from a folder in StreamedAssests
3. Rejigger the save system to write to the persistent storage folder
4. Change the keyboard interface to allow another thread to push in a list of keystrokes
5. Change the console output to just write to a critical-section protected buffer, and set a flag whenever it's updated
4. Hoist the whole CoQ system into a seperate thread (because it just spins in while loops waiting for input/etc)
5. Add a little adapter to my single manager GameObject to catch keystroke events and convert them to something CoQ understands and jam them into the keystroke queue
6. Dump the output buffer to something whenever it changes (in the first screenshot it's just the debug log, by the latest it's a gui textobject, next I'll make it a pretty console emulator)

It's still a little hurky performance-wise, I think because Unity isn't super happy with multiple threads, so I'll have to play around with it to get it smooth, but at this point I don't think there's any risk it won't work, it's just how much effort to get it polished up.

e: At first it'll just get cross-platform support, but it allows a ton of additional functionality. Like, I could actually add steamworks to it, for example; or sound/music. It's also a much stronger platform for a move to tiles, rather than rolling my own poo poo from raw OpenGL.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the details!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm having trouble with LCS and getting started, I'm not sure what any of the menus mean and the whole thing is vaguely confusing. Has anyone written a good quickstart guide or let's play of it?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'm having trouble with LCS and getting started, I'm not sure what any of the menus mean and the whole thing is vaguely confusing. Has anyone written a good quickstart guide or let's play of it?

http://lcs.wikidot.com/

And yes there has been, somewhere here. It did not complete but helped a lot.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

There we go; still struggling a little with the smoothness of the secondary game thread. If I can get that sorted, seems like this will work pretty nicely.

e: Ah-hah the occasional jerkiness is just garbage collection, probably just due to the horrifying way I'm doing per-frame updates atm.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Read the wiki to get a grasp on controls. LCS stands out specifically because soooo many different strategies are completely legit and viable. Half the fun is figuring out your playstyle. I personally like playing with smooth-talking lawyers that love to dabble in theater and make-up.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
My cloghead is finding these linked fish really quite annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Finally completed off a UV AoSh run and got myself Lt. Colonel. Next run, let's go do the 'standard game with knives on HMP' achievement...

quote:

You enter Phobos, level 2. Khe, he, he, this will be a mess... You hear the trumpets of Jericho echoing in the distance... You feel excited!... The smell of a massacre... You shiver from cold...

Okay, sure.