Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnielab posted:

I picked up IWEE and am enjoying it but I am stuck as poo poo at the first big fight in the last crypt in the vale of shadows. I keep getting my rear end kicked and cant figure a way to draw the dudes out so I only have to fight a few at a time.

Use entangle to break them up/ slow them down. Grease and web also work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Sadly no druid and my two rangers (C/R and Archer) are not high enough level cast spells yet. I might have Web, have to look when I get home.

Is there anywhere this early on to grind some exp?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Man, am I bad at these games. At least worse than I remember. I keep getting my rear end kicked and I'm only in Kuldahar, either I wipe the floor with the enemy using sleep and picking them off with my archer (who is the only party member of effect besides my sorcerer) or I just get utterly trounced.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bunnielab posted:

Sadly no druid and my two rangers (C/R and Archer) are not high enough level cast spells yet. I might have Web, have to look when I get home.

How about a single class cleric? They should have enough odds to fear some of the mook undead. I think multiclass's turning remains too far behind the curve until its too late I seem to recall.

Short of a druid, its recommended your arcane caster turn into a web and grease artillery for the rest of the game. Their effectiveness can not be overstated. Most party compositions live and die by their crowd control. Hallways work in a pinch if you're out of spells.

Rest grinding is the only way to beat the level curve and it takes forever to do anything apparent.

Quantumfate posted:

Man, am I bad at these games. At least worse than I remember. I keep getting my rear end kicked and I'm only in Kuldahar, either I wipe the floor with the enemy using sleep and picking them off with my archer (who is the only party member of effect besides my sorcerer) or I just get utterly trounced.
Does everyone besides your archer have missile weapons? It trims encounters before they have a chance to hurt you and its well worth keeping everybody you can out of melee until you start getting better armor and buffs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So I hear IWD2 is not very good. Are these rumors to be believed?

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is there a legitimate reason why people have ragged on IWD2? Is it the new ruleset, maybe?

IWD2 is my favorite Infinity Engine game and is really well done (if you ask me).

~Your party/the characters:
  • As people have stated your whole party is generated by you before the game starts. This is great if you have any clue what you are doing but can be terrible if you are new to genre and/or ruleset.
  • The new ruleset balances classes, races, and attributes. Most notable is the every 2 points above 10 is another +1. Every 4 levels you get a new attribute point to apply to each character. Good (and some neutral) aligned Clerics can convert any spell to a heal spell of an equivalent level. Thievery skills are now way more intuitive. Multiclassing is fixed so its the same for everyone. There are a lot of good changes (especially if you are not much a fan of 2e rules).
  • The plot is fine but your characters do not have storied histories that have built-in quests. There are instead some quests built in based on your attributes and/or classes (my favorite one is right in the beginning; you have to have someone with a high con out-drink someone :haw:).
  • There are no addable characters later in the game. I like this because there is no "party management". I can build a party that I will enjoy and that is that.
  • The 3e ruleset makes it so the game is not "Whack the mage (or die)". Mages are still powerful and can be a pain in the rear end, but are not gamebreaking. Boss fights arent "weather timestop and a bunch of other bullshit, then 'Piece Magic' and 'Dispel' your way to victory", and I think its great for the gameplay.
  • The fights feel like they have some variety; it is not the same thing over and over again. You are put in different situations against a variety of enemies in different environments. This means you have to adapt to the situation, which makes the gameplay a bit more intuitive.

These are -as stated- my opinion, and everybody looks at these games differently, so people may think otherwise. I think it is worth a try at the very minimum.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What do you prefer as your IWD2 party? I tend to go really caster-heavy, but I'm not sure that's the really best option. I usually go 2 sorcerers, one wizard with a bit of rogue as my skill monkey, a fighter, and either two clerics or one cleric and a druid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mzbundifund posted:

What do you prefer as your IWD2 party? I tend to go really caster-heavy, but I'm not sure that's the really best option. I usually go 2 sorcerers, one wizard with a bit of rogue as my skill monkey, a fighter, and either two clerics or one cleric and a druid.

I think my favorite party was a Monk, Cleric, Fighter (with a few levels of Rogue), Rogue (with a few levels of fighter), Sorcerer (Fire and Acid spec), Sorcerer (Ice and Lightning spec). This is from 5+ years ago and I was pretty bad at optimizing and just liked doing what was fun, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. All the characters had ranged weapons and the ability to sneak and I loved sneaking into a room and just insta-gibbing stuff or having two people backstab the boss/toughguy/mage after the rest of the party drew the chaff away. I had at least one character with 18 in each ability and loot was never so sparse that anyone was lacking anything important. The Fire sorcerer would self-fire shield then walk into a gaggle of trolls and Sunfire themself 2 or 3 times and everything would be dead :torgue:.

edit: If I made a new party today I would actually consider dropping the Monk for a second Cleric-type or something because the Monk themed part does not seem like it would be that hard to do as a non-monk, and maybe try to add a mage somewhere to have someone that can have a larger spellbook (though I do not remember ever saying "poo poo I wish I had a mage for this one thing").

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 10, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Jumped on iwd:ee on iPad and it's party creating time!

Can monks get high enough level in iwd to be worth a slot in the party?

Is a pure thief needed for tap detection and lock picking or is there a first-class option that won't make him a lousy thief/other class? I'm usually not a big fan of the slow level progression that non-pure characters dedicated to more than one class experience, but I'll try it this game.

I want something more exciting than a straight fighter- bear in mind that one character will likely be a monk so something else is needed.

I'm thinking of a druid/mage and a cleric/something for two of my characters.

This leaves me with one more character. Suggestions?

Monk
Fighter kit
Thief/something
Mage/druid
Cleric/something
???

Edit:
So I went with.

Sun soul Monk
Half orc barbarian
Gnome illusionist thief
Totemic druid
Priest of Talos
Invoker

What you reckon?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 11, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm not a fan of monks in the 2nd edition ruleset (which IWD1 uses). At their high-level best they are nice fighters, but the vast majority of the game they will be dead weight draining xp from your other party members. Even once they reach parity, weapon-using classes are still more than viable. I guess I just don't see it being worth it to have a terrible party member for 80% of the game, just to get a slightly above-average one for the last 10%. It sounds like you're set on having one anyway, so I would suggest speccing the rest of your party to be high damage dealers to make up for the monk's anemic offense. A single-class thief is fine in this game, since thieves are the best class for alpha striking with high damage. Once you get their locks/traps raised, you can invest heavily in stealth and open every fight by sticking a blade in an enemy wizard's spleen.

I think it's generally better to have two arcane casters than it is to have two divine casters, so if you want both a monk and no multiclass party members, my party suggestion would be something like

Monk
Paladin OR Ranger OR Fighter
Thief
Mage, conjurer is my favorite subclass
Sorcerer
Cleric OR Druid

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not a fan of monks in the 2nd edition ruleset (which IWD1 uses). At their high-level best they are nice fighters, but the vast majority of the game they will be dead weight draining xp from your other party members. Even once they reach parity, weapon-using classes are still more than viable. I guess I just don't see it being worth it to have a terrible party member for 80% of the game, just to get a slightly above-average one for the last 10%. It sounds like you're set on having one anyway, so I would suggest speccing the rest of your party to be high damage dealers to make up for the monk's anemic offense. A single-class thief is fine in this game, since thieves are the best class for alpha striking with high damage. Once you get their locks/traps raised, you can invest heavily in stealth and open every fight by sticking a blade in an enemy wizard's spleen.

I think it's generally better to have two arcane casters than it is to have two divine casters, so if you want both a monk and no multiclass party members, my party suggestion would be something like

Monk
Paladin OR Ranger OR Fighter
Thief
Mage, conjurer is my favorite subclass
Sorcerer
Cleric OR Druid

I would add that, since the EE version of Icewind Dale has all of the expansions, that a druid and a cleric both have their place. Druids get a very nice offensive spell selection in the expanded game and are very much worth it after their mediocrity in the BG games. I also am never without a bard in either IWD game; with the expansions, they get fantastic songs, make a great backup mage, are half-decent fighters and can idenfity items for you. Sadly, bards can't replace full thieves, which is a pity because I hate having to drag along a thief, but they are still wonderful.

IWD1 is a game that makes me badly wish that I could have 7 in my party, although mostly because thieves are more or less a must-have. My party would be something like:

Paladin
Ranger
Sorcerer/Wizard/Speciality Mage
Cleric
Druid
Bard
Thief (again, mostly because nobody can do their job but them)

It's been years, but I remember (possibly wrongly) that if a bard takes one level of thief in IWD2 that he can level up thief skills at a 1:1 ratio the whole game. Bards don't get quite as many skill points as thieves, but they come close, and they surely get enough to keep up as capable lock-pickers and trap-finders.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would add that, since the EE version of Icewind Dale has all of the expansions, that a druid and a cleric both have their place. Druids get a very nice offensive spell selection in the expanded game and are very much worth it after their mediocrity in the BG games. I also am never without a bard in either IWD game; with the expansions, they get fantastic songs, make a great backup mage, are half-decent fighters and can idenfity items for you. Sadly, bards can't replace full thieves, which is a pity because I hate having to drag along a thief, but they are still wonderful.

IWD1 is a game that makes me badly wish that I could have 7 in my party, although mostly because thieves are more or less a must-have. My party would be something like:

Paladin
Ranger
Sorcerer/Wizard/Speciality Mage
Cleric
Druid
Bard
Thief (again, mostly because nobody can do their job but them)

It's been years, but I remember (possibly wrongly) that if a bard takes one level of thief in IWD2 that he can level up thief skills at a 1:1 ratio the whole game. Bards don't get quite as many skill points as thieves, but they come close, and they surely get enough to keep up as capable lock-pickers and trap-finders.

I find in IWD 2 rogues are pretty replaceable. Just make a wizard with high dex and take one level of rogue and you'll have your trap/lockpick duties covered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnielab posted:

Does C/R mean cleric/ranger? because they should be able to cast spells at level one. Does the ee edition fix the bug/feature where they get full access to druid spells at level one, because if so thats half the utility of a ranger/cleric right down the drain and I'd drop them for a fighter/druid

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just beat the IWD:EE with like, my third or 4th party, kept restarting to try new things. I would up with a 2h wielding berserker, who got something like 40% of my total party kills over the game, then a d/w dwarven defender with axes. He did well, but that spot could be taken by any dps type character. I also had a fighter cleric for backup heals, and he d/w flails or hammers, and did pretty well with buffs and fighting. I made a half orc swashbuckler for thieving skills, and he worked out well as he could contribute. I used a shapeshifter druid for the first time, and he did pretty decently throughout the game. Lastly, a necromancer for some CC, as their opposed schools aren't too critical. I found that a bard had nice buffs, but didn't really contribute much in combat otherwise, and a bless or other cleric buff fill that while not taking up an entire character slot doing nothing else. Only thing that bugged me was the last fight itself, it is straight up bullshit. Not spoiling anything, but dumping you in a room with traps you can't disarm, and the boss then immediately dispells any buffs is crap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Does C/R mean cleric/ranger? because they should be able to cast spells at level one. Does the ee edition fix the bug/feature where they get full access to druid spells at level one, because if so thats half the utility of a ranger/cleric right down the drain and I'd drop them for a fighter/druid

Yep, just loaded it up to check, my C/R only has priest spells listed.

I also dont seem to have Web or Grease scrolls. Am I boned enough to warrant starting over? I would rather have a Cleric/Fighter if the Cleric/Ranger bug is gone. I guess I could EEKeeper the class change but I have never had that work well.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

bunnielab posted:

Yep, just loaded it up to check, my C/R only has priest spells listed.

I also dont seem to have Web or Grease scrolls. Am I boned enough to warrant starting over? I would rather have a Cleric/Fighter if the Cleric/Ranger bug is gone. I guess I could EEKeeper the class change but I have never had that work well.

Don't forget you can head back to town to stock up on scrolls at the wizard tower if need be.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MegaGatts posted:

Don't forget you can head back to town to stock up on scrolls at the wizard tower if need be.

Yeah, doing that now. Does EEKeeper work with IWDEE? I swear I read that it does but I cant get it to work.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Do you have the most recent version? It's 1.0.2.5.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MegaGatts posted:

I find in IWD 2 rogues are pretty replaceable. Just make a wizard with high dex and take one level of rogue and you'll have your trap/lockpick duties covered.

I think he is talking about IWD1 in his post, but I agree that rogues are fairly replaceable in 3e. That is why I like having two fighter-rogues. They are a teeeny bit worse at being fighters, but can sneak around and get bonus dice to sneak attack damage, detect traps, yada yada.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Taliesyn posted:

Do you have the most recent version? It's 1.0.2.5.

That was it, but it is up to 1.0.2.6 now.

Changed my C/R to a F/D and am headed back to the tower to buy some spells.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Skwirl posted:

Cleric/Rangers were only broken (had both priest and druid spells) in BG. In IWD they always had only priest spells, or if they didn't then it was fixed later, I can't remember.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
To change Cleric/Ranger to the BG version (all divine spells):

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36188/neat-little-option-that-cleric-rangers-players-might-be-interested-in-knowing#latest

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Disco Infiva posted:

Cleric/Rangers were only broken (had both priest and druid spells) in BG. In IWD they always had only priest spells, or if they didn't then it was fixed later, I can't remember.

According to the DSimpson walkthrough, Cleric/Rangers don't get access to Druid spells until Ranger level 6.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I finished my six party member IWDEE playthrough on Insane. Thanks to the bonus 100% XP my entire party was able to reach level 30 other than the Mage (who got up to 25). There are a bunch of level 9 spells like Time Stop added near the end of the game, though by the time I got them I didn't really have many opportunities to use them.

I've started a new playthrough on Heart of Fury mode with level 1 characters. My party consists of a half-elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric and an elf Fighter/Mage/Thief. It's pretty challenging. In for example Easthaven one goblin grunt could take out both my characters. I had to run around with the other party member shooting them and take them out one at a time. Once my FMC was able to cast Animate Dead that enabled me to make good progress. I was able to complete the cave next to Easthaven, the Kuldahar Pass and the Vale of Shadows areas by throwing zombies and skeletons at enemies while my party members used ranged attacks. In the first level of Dragon's Eye there are some chokepoints that enemies can't cross, so I mainly used those to plink away at the lizardmen and spiders as my undead were less useful against them.

The Animate Dead tactic broke down completely in the second level of Dragon's Eye, as the large groups of trolls and sword spiders completely overwhelmed my summons and then pulverized my characters. I had to switch to casting Free Action, Spirit Armor, Mirror Image, Protection from Evil and Haste on my two party members, then throwing two Web spells in a chokepoint and fighting entangled trolls until I got close to dying, then running away at a previous level to rest and heal. I had to repeat this multiple times to thin out the groups of trolls and spiders. The same tactic worked for clearing the undead in level three, but I am encountering problems in the 4th level since the Summoner keeps bringing in more monsters, making hit and run tactics much less effective.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

My Ranger (Archer to be more precise) had more than 50% of the kills in my IWDEE runthrough. With that one bow (Messenger of Sseth I think) and 5 pips in bows she was blasting off arrows non stop, with improved haste she could take on whole packs of enemies by herself. It was kind of insane, even my 2H Berserker couldn't keep up.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 11, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm, is it possible to restart with the characters I have made for my current game? Sounds like I should swap out the monk, and replace with an arcane caster. When I get round to IWD2 I'll get a monk in there as it will be much higher levels.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm, is it possible to restart with the characters I have made for my current game? Sounds like I should swap out the monk, and replace with an arcane caster. When I get round to IWD2 I'll get a monk in there as it will be much higher levels.
IWD2 is a completely separate game. You won't be using the same party. By the way, in the original IWD game, you could add or remove characters in-game, but I don't think that's possible in IWDEE as it utilizes the BG2 engine.

PS: I found a way to take out the High Summoner. Cast all of my standard buffs (Haste, Mirror Image, etc), left some undead at the entrance to distract the enemies, cast Invisibility 10' Radius on my party, rushed to the Summoner, threw two Webs to keep his entourage off my back, killed him, cast another Invisibility 10' Radius and ran away at the start of the area again. I have to say that Heart of Fury really makes you think about your tactics, particularly if you have a low level party.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I mean, can I restart IWDEE with 5 of my current characters, drop the monk and replace him with a newly rolled arcane caster?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

I mean, can I restart IWDEE with 5 of my current characters, drop the monk and replace him with a newly rolled arcane caster?
You can export them from the Record screen and import them when making a new game. Have you got a save from when you started the game? I would suggest doing so from there, though you could also import characters that have gone through part of the game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow, IWD:EE works so well on an iPad mini. Excellent work Beamdog. Really, really hope we see IWD2 and Planescape: Torment as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BadAstronaut posted:

Wow, IWD:EE works so well on an iPad mini. Excellent work Beamdog. Really, really hope we see IWD2 and Planescape: Torment as well.

How about they actually patch BGIIEE like a responsible company? It got slammed in ratings on GOG for still having so many bugs one year on, and rightly so.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

JustJeff88 posted:

How about they actually patch BGIIEE like a responsible company? It got slammed in ratings on GOG for still having so many bugs one year on, and rightly so.

They're working on it. Slowly.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36550/bg2ee-1-3-beta-final-release-question-and-answer/p1

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I spoke to Trent Oster and that's what he said they are focusing on next- ie, before IWD2 or Planescape.

(Games journalist)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 12, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really enjoy IWD2 but mostly because of the ruleset - it's the only infinity engine game where I feel I can actually change my characters and make them my own. The only issues I had with it were recycling so many maps from IWD1 and the awful awful final fight that most of the time I just cannot do!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BadAstronaut posted:

I spoke to Trent Oster and that's what he said they are focusing on next- ie, before IWD2 or Planescape.

(Games journalist)

I'm assuming he didn't actually confirm they're planning to do EE versions of Planescape and IWD2.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't even know how you would enhance Planescape other than improving the resolution and fixing the bugs. There is no need to port the BG class and combat mechanics because Planescape is sui generis in that respect, and I don't trust Beamdog to add new content up to the standards of the existing game. Also, I don't trust Beamdog to fix the bugs, at least not without adding many more.

That said, I would pay full price for an iOS port of Planescape that did nothing but improve the resolution.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Draile posted:

I don't even know how you would enhance Planescape other than improving the resolution and fixing the bugs. There is no need to port the BG class and combat mechanics because Planescape is sui generis in that respect, and I don't trust Beamdog to add new content up to the standards of the existing game. Also, I don't trust Beamdog to fix the bugs, at least not without adding many more.

That said, I would pay full price for an iOS port of Planescape that did nothing but improve the resolution.
If they are able to, IWD2 and PST are somewhat similar in the need of a source code deep dive port like the EEs are getting because of their reliance on hacky graphical methods for spell effects that GoGs once over compatibility effort has gotten running on a lot but maybe not all modern systems at questionable quality and framerates.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

zedprime posted:

If they are able to, IWD2 and PST are somewhat similar in the need of a source code deep dive port like the EEs are getting because of their reliance on hacky graphical methods for spell effects that GoGs once over compatibility effort has gotten running on a lot but maybe not all modern systems at questionable quality and framerates.

Yea IWD2 is totally unplayable for me because of huge random slowdowns. IWD1 works absolutely fine - if anything it works better because everyone's slightly faster than they should be.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Planescape's kind of a weird one, since yeah, the UI does need a reworking, and yeah, there is pretty much nothing you can add to it to "enhance" it besides that. Maybe they'll give the romances happy endings just to spite Chris Avellone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, porting the BG2 combat mechanics to Planescape would be a great way to enhance it, but probably won't happen because it's a lot of work. The combat in Planescape is garbage and could definitely do with being fixed.

Planescape is also the obvious candidate for a Story difficulty that sets all your stats to 18 or 25 to make the terrible combat more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They really (like really really) need to do several small patches of their games rather than one big patch.

There are a bunch of bugs that are in BG2EE that they've fixed in IWDEE. Why they're still sitting on these fixes rather than pushing them out as small patches is beyond me.