Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've seen all of Tom Baker's stuff and I cannot remember a drat thing about The Android Invasion. I've got no idea why, my mind is just blank.

Think people with their faces ripped off and replaced by machine parts. The effect was pretty convincing too, far better than you'd expect on a limited budget in the 1970s.

edit: It was also one of the last "regularly appearing UNIT" serials made though a number of people, most notably the Major, were missing.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've seen all of Tom Baker's stuff and I cannot remember a drat thing about The Android Invasion. I've got no idea why, my mind is just blank.

http://youtu.be/E6TUs69Cw94?t=14s

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shadoer posted:

- Handles: Bring back Handles. He was in one episode and was easily the best guy in that episode. Make him a regular companion for the Doctor.

The point was that he wasn't really intelligent, though, not in the way a real cyberman could be. Because he was just the computer bit, not the brain bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Thinking back on the finale and there's actually a gaping plothole; The Master's TARDIS. The Doctor knows she had to have one to pull off her scheme, and she's dead (for) now so why not go hunt it down? Pull the flight logs from it and you've got a decent shot at Gallifrey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

so why not go hunt it down?

Good luck with that. Or getting in the door.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Good luck with that. Or getting in the door.

If Daleks at their peak could force their way into a TARDIS, there's no reason the Doctor can't with his.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If Daleks at their peak could force their way into a TARDIS, there's no reason the Doctor can't with his.

God, now I'm imagining that scene from The Time Monster but with Gomez and Capaldi instead of Delgado and Pertwee :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Have to be able to find it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it's a matter of taste. I like the serial, I just think you could have made two good stories from it. Amelia is a hoot as well.

I had the rough idea that the season got worse as it went but putting it down like that made it clear.

That's a bit disappointing, perhaps I'll just grab the first two serials and then some more seventh doctor stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh are you reading this thread, too? I came here to post something spoilery about your review thread, but if you're here too I'll hold off.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dude get out of this thread

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Occ wanted me to let you all know that he does not actually read this thread, he just hit-and-runs it with gifs that he likes.

Of course, he apparently reads it enough to ask me to post this. Paradox!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

Occ wanted me to let you all know that he does not actually read this thread, he just hit-and-runs it with gifs that he likes.

Good, I need a safe space to talk about how fuckin hilarious his review of End of Time Pt. 1 The Stolen Earth is

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Soothing Vapors posted:

Good, I need a safe space to talk about how fuckin hilarious his review of End of Time Pt. 1 The Stolen Earth is

Or how hilarious his review of the next episode will be. Though I don't want to say why now, in case he's still lurking.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does he know about the series of specials in any way, or does he think that after this he's going straight into series 5? It was really funny when his review kept talking about how Tennant is gone and Matt Smith is in now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I told him to keep his head out of it. Gossip away.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Or how hilarious his review of the next episode will be. Though I don't want to say why now, in case he's still lurking.

I know, I really want to post excerpts but I don't trust him to stay away now that he knows we're talking about him. Goddamn I cannot wait.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I told him to keep his head out of it. Gossip away.

I don't know how you pulled this off but you are my hero.

quote:

Just this once, in this most appropriate of episodes that is entirely reflective of RTD's worst excesses and greatest triumphs as a showrunner, in this episode that writes out my favorite Doctor thus far in David Tennant, all the terrible and amazing bits all evened out to an episode that made me remember how much I really do love RTD at his very best.

ahahahahahaha

it's like two full pages talking about the end of Tennant's run, it's so glorious

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This post from the other thread:

ThePutty posted:

i remember at this time so many (tumblr) fans didn't accept matt smith and wished tennant had regenerated into himself or something. it was probably the only time the doctor who thread was actually good through the misery of tumblr fans

might be a little too on the nose, since it actually mentions what happens in a jokey way, and I think it's funnier if he never even considers the possibility, but whatever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
maaaan occ's gonna be SO MAD he might actually quit the thread and then I'll never get him to listen to CBakes on audio

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, that's going too far in my opinion, the original post by ThePutty was great, when it was just:

ThePutty posted:

the matt smith episodes were the last time i watched doctor who so i'm really interested to see what you've got to say about them now that tennant is finally out

Actually talking about what happens is risking it too much though.

DoctorWhat posted:

maaaan occ's gonna be SO MAD he might actually quit the thread and then I'll never get him to listen to CBakes on audio

Maybe he'll be happy about more Tennant. After all, he has all the incredibly wonderful specials to still look forward to.

Christ, he's gonna give up before we get to Eleven isn't he.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I hate anyone who does that coy not-a-spoiler poo poo in any context and the only reason I'm not bringing it up is because I don't want to attract any attention from Occ, and because there's no doubt going to be more in the near future. I'm just telling him to stay out of all Who threads until his next writeup is posted.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I hate anyone who does that coy not-a-spoiler poo poo in any context and the only reason I'm not bringing it up is because I don't want to attract any attention from Occ, and because there's no doubt going to be more in the near future. I'm just telling him to stay out of all Who threads until his next writeup is posted.

I stand by our occasional references to how much Donna has been irrevocably changed to a better person by her time with the Doctor. :colbert:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Oxxidation posted:

oh dear did i go too far :ohdear:

i only said it because i remember people actually saying that line in misery, they honestly wanted him to regenerate back into himself again. on that note, i wish i could find all those screencaps at the time of angry fans reacting to tennant's regeneration

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 11, 2014

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
After reading Occ's review of the Stolen Earth, I actually went back and watched the two parter. I had almost forgot how angry the conclusion made me. It's a shame because there was some good stuff (Davros actually being reduced to a pet, The companions piloting the TARDIS, Doctor Donna) but the last 10-15 minutes, and the rather cheap ways the cliffhangers were resolved were probably among the worst thing RTD ever did on the show.

It didn't help that I bought the cliffhanger at the time, and I thought we were going have a mystery 11th Doctor too. :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah I just avoided engaging with Occ's review at all on that front because I don't trust myself not to give it away. I'm not a fan of the winking sly spoilers either

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kevino07 posted:

After reading Occ's review of the Stolen Earth, I actually went back and watched the two parter. I had almost forgot how angry the conclusion made me. It's a shame because there was some good stuff (Davros actually being reduced to a pet, The companions piloting the TARDIS, Doctor Donna) but the last 10-15 minutes, and the rather cheap ways the cliffhangers were resolved were probably among the worst thing RTD ever did on the show.

It didn't help that I bought the cliffhanger at the time, and I thought we were going have a mystery 11th Doctor too. :(

Also, Crying Tennant.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ThePutty posted:

oh dear did i go too far :ohdear:

i only said it because i remember people actually saying that line in misery, they honestly wanted him to regenerate back into himself again. on that note, i wish i could find all those screencaps at the time of angry fans reacting to tennant's regeneration

It's a hard balance to strike. I don't think your post gives it away but I just avoid replying to him if there's any question.

The real problem comes when ten people in a row all want to wink at something so they can show how clever they are and then maybe that gives it away. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Have to be able to find it.

It's not that tough to find the Master's TARDIS. Just look for any out of place grandfather clocks, Greek pillars, or computer banks.

Senor Tron posted:

Does he know about the series of specials in any way, or does he think that after this he's going straight into series 5? It was really funny when his review kept talking about how Tennant is gone and Matt Smith is in now.

When he talked about there being one more year of RTD and he was still on stuff that aired in 2007, I laughed and laughed.

Also, I'm pleased that sitting on the information that we all found out during the season that Tennant was leaving until just before he watched The Stolen Earth helped.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's a hard balance to strike. I don't think your post gives it away but I just avoid replying to him if there's any question.

The real problem comes when ten people in a row all want to wink at something so they can show how clever they are and then maybe that gives it away. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Too Late...

GonSmithe posted:

But yeah, Tennant could be a real handy-dandy dildo at times, but I think I need to go back and rewatch a lot of these episodes. I really hated him after watching into the next seasons, but I think I'd appreciate him a little more now.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

in retrospect, was the first matt smith season actually good? i honestly remember it being quite solid as a whole, although it might just be because RTD was finally gone and something new was happening

of course we all know how that turned out when the same season happened two more times

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

ThePutty posted:

in retrospect, was the first matt smith season actually good? i honestly remember it being quite solid as a whole, although it might just be because RTD was finally gone and something new was happening

of course we all know how that turned out when the same season happened two more times

The Victory of the Daleks was a bit ropey, and The Silurian two parter wasn't that great but every other episode was at least good. I think it helps that the finale was excellent too, especially compared to RTD'd finales. Amy's Choice and Vincent and the Doctor are two of the best episodes of the entire revival too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ThePutty posted:

I rewatched it last year and yes, it's really solid. The two part finale is particularly great as part one ends on a really low note and then part two is some of the silliest, funnest time travel abusing nonsense that Who's ever engaged in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Got the first three episodes of Smith on DVD recently and I can categorically state that yes they're good. The Eleventh Hour in particular is excellent. On the other hand, I'm all too aware that the fourth episode features the Angels, River and the start of all the stupid, stupid Amy/Rory drama.

E:

Kevino07 posted:

The Victory of the Daleks was a bit ropey, and The Silurian two parter wasn't that great but every other episode was at least good. I think it helps that the finale was excellent too, especially compared to RTD'd finales. Amy's Choice and Vincent and the Doctor are two of the best episodes of the entire revival too.

Victory had space Spitfires. I literally couldn't stop myself saluting my laptop when that happened.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Season 5 is the only season I have rewatched since I got into this dumb show. It is by far my favorite.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ThePutty posted:

Series 5 was the best, apart from the Silurian 2 parter it's just filled with great episodes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And robot-shooting dual-pistol-wielding Queen Elizabeth X literally ruling

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

there's also that space whale episode, but i didn't mind that too much. i think the low points aren't really bad because they're terrible scripts, i think they're more so disappointing because the ideas they had really didn't meet the full potential of what they could have done

i mean, the silurian episode is no Let's Kill Hitler, the episode that stopped me from watching this show regularly

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

thrawn527 posted:

I feel so soooo bad for him

• Locked thread