Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Kiss my bant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

team overhead smash posted:

I don't care enough about Brand to have checked it out, but I've heard that his view isn't a straight up "don't vote". I'd also point out that although I think not voting is stupid, even if that's what he is saying he is clearly asking young people to engage in politics in other ways (like protesting) instead rather than not engaging at all.

Urgh, now you've made me defend Brand, you poo poo. I hope you are happy.

This is from Brand's Guardian article he wrote after that Newsnight appearance:

quote:

The only reason to vote is if the vote represents power or change. I don't think it does. I fervently believe that we deserve more from our democratic system than the few derisory tit-bits tossed from the carousel of the mighty, when they hop a few inches left or right. The lazily duplicitous servants of The City expect us to gratefully participate in what amounts to little more than a political hokey cokey where every four years we get to choose what colour tie the liar who leads us wears.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/russell-brand-democratic-system-newsnight

Is it really so unfair to summarise that as saying 'don't vote'?

His general argument seems to be, 'the system is bad, so voting within that system is bad. Voting would only have any point if the system was a good one to start with. So don't vote unless the system improves.' By saying that he's ruling out the idea that the system could improve through voting. I agree with him that our political system is dysfunctional in many many ways, but the idea that voting is totally pointless is misguided. Politicians do respond to large voting trends, which is one reason why all parties pursue policies to the benefit of the older demographics and at the expense of the younger demographics. It's also the reason politicians shape their policies toward certain constituencies, because those are the constituencies that tend to swing elections. Voting is not a panacea and political reform is definitely required, but voting is genuinely one of the best ways to effect political reform, imperfect as it is.

I think Brand presents a view that is a mixture of cynicism and utopianism. It's utopian because he wants a kind of left wing paradise where inequality doesn't exist and climate change is being dealt with (and I'm fully in support of tackling inequality and climate change), but it's cynical because it says that nothing about the current system can be salvaged, and everything as it currently exists is pointless and corrupt. Because of that he thinks you should refuse to engage with things as they currently are, but somehow he still wants to get to this utopian idyll at the same time. If that's your worldview you're setting yourself up for failure and apathy, because you're not giving yourself any practical, realistic steps forward. You're encouraging people to complain about the way things are without giving them any insight into how to make things better. So you stir up a desire in the audience who listen to you, but you suggest no practical way to satisfy that desire. In the long run it makes people feel more powerless and more apathetic.

Basically, I think that if you want to change a system you need to be sceptical about that system, but cynicism is self-defeating. Big changes are hard to bring about, and if you want to pursue big changes you need to be quite hard-headed, realistic and pragmatic about it. I'm not saying Russell Brand needs to provide a fully-realised and concrete programme for political reform. But if he wants people to engage with politics to change things he needs to encourage a sensible approach. If Russell Brand used his influence to say, 'engaging in politics will not bring instant results, but if we don't engage then we cede all of that battlefield to the people who got us into this mess in the first place', that would be a much more attractive message.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's nice that we all think our Vote is important and changes anything.

Remember when that massive Youth Vote turned out for the Lib Dems and finally showed everyone that the youth vote is important? That really worked out for them!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
It got the lib dems in for the first time in ages tbf, and I reckon they've acted as a useful brake on some of the Tories' worst instincts

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Vote Lib Dem: "It might be slightly less awful"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

To be fair, the Lib Dems were always awful so they got what they voted for.

Even if you assume that there is absolutely no value in a vote for the main parties, the existence of third parties, independents and the ability to run for government yourself means that there is surely some value to a vote even if it doesn't amount to much per vote.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There's a lot of reification of The Vote going on here. A regular persons influence over the political process is so minimal and super focused on their vote that the disconnect between action and consequence is visibly apparent which deters and annoys people. Simply saying this should not get such a negative reaction and yet it does.

If many demographics fail to vote firstly that's a failure of the democratic process which is suppose to universally enfranchise everyone (and if the failure to participate can be observed along demographic lines that is far far more than an individual preference not to vote) and secondly getting these demographics to start acting politically in ways which cannot easily be diverted to 'so vote for X' then you are vastly more likely to see a government actually respond to their wishes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't know how germane it really is but remember that Australia has compulsory voting, leading to turnout upwards of 90%, and they still seem happy to elect complete pricks. At least in their case, turning out most demographics has not led to any radical improvements (unless you are a racist) and only 3 or so percent get spoiled or whatever.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Maybe the people you refer to as pricks because they aren't Marxist enough for you actually reflect the will of the Australian people??

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Doesn't stop them being pricks.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
what we need is a bit of old-fashioned demagoguery to get people engaged again

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Don't think it has been mentioned but Farage is going to appear on a Gogglebox spinoff. Because that's all we need. What the hell does the media see in him?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

What the hell does the media see in him?

a ridiculous rubber-faced xenophobe who will say outrageous poo poo that racist cunts love and everybody else finds so repugnant that they can't resist watching and talking about?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
hmm i dont understand why the morally bankrupt media would give a platform to this performing clown offering easy answers instead of to a pedestrian lefty hand-wringing about inequality. it just doesn't make ANY SENSE

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Don't think it has been mentioned but Farage is going to appear on a Gogglebox spinoff. Because that's all we need. What the hell does the media see in him?

Eh, it's a pretty smart (but lovely) move. People who like him because he "tells it like it is" will watch it to see him "telling it like it is", and people who disagree will watch to sneer at his lovely opinions and probably give the show free publicity getting outraged on twitter.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Burqa King posted:

Maybe the people you refer to as pricks because they aren't Marxist enough for you actually reflect the will of the Australian people??

Maybe I was talking about literal concentration camps for refugees and not economic issues, champ. And anyway despite getting caught up in the thread rhetoric I am a social democrat, not a Marxist.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Please don't call me champ when you don't really mean it, that's very disrespectful, passive-aggressive and counterproductive.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Oberleutnant posted:

a ridiculous rubber-faced xenophobe who will say outrageous poo poo that racist cunts love and everybody else finds so repugnant that they can't resist watching and talking about?

But they have Jim Davidson and similar for that. Why do they have to choose the politician? It's not like Farage is the singularly most exciting prospect they could have picked, surely.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
IMO Clegg's U turn was one of the most damaging political lies told to my (early 20s) generation. So many people I know (yes, anecdotal but look at the protests) used their vote for the first time, and were completely and utterly poo poo upon with only a paper thin apology.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

But they have Jim Davidson and similar for that. Why do they have to choose the politician? It's not like Farage is the singularly most exciting prospect they could have picked, surely.
because being able to say he's a serious politician can be used to shield the media from criticisms that they're giving a platform to people who are actively malignant and hateful. You don't get the leader of the National Front on the telly to tell people about how niggers and kikes are ruining the country because that's indefensible, but a few years back we had that cyclops oval office from the BNP on Question Time because they got an MEP elected lmao

e: what the hell is his name anyway? I can't remember it for the life of me and don't want to be googling it on my work pc.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Yeah, why would they pick someone who is constantly on the front pages and shows up on tv more than Stephen fry over a comedian who is only mentioned nowadays when journalists need an easy "isn't racism bad" story? It's a real head scratcher.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm personally waiting to see what side of the debate Roy Chubby Brown is coming out. He's the swing vote imo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lol Roy is just gonna go with whatever Freddie Starr thinks is best and u loving know it.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Fans posted:

It's nice that we all think our Vote is important and changes anything.

Remember when that massive Youth Vote turned out for the Lib Dems and finally showed everyone that the youth vote is important? That really worked out for them!

According to Ipsos Mori less than 50% of under 35s voted at the last election versus over 70% of 35+s. (https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2613/How-Britain-Voted-in)

Although this did represent an upswing in under-35 voting numbers, it's still a significant disparity. Moreover, the long term trend is that older people vote more than younger people, so even if there was a one-off election where more young people voted, unless there's a trend of young people voting more across multiple elections, it still makes more sense for politicians to focus on the interests of 35+s at the expense of under-35s.

The attitude of, "we tried to vote once and nothing good happened so there's no point doing it again" is exactly the kind of simplistic view that Russell Brand is advocating for. Voting either has to work perfectly or there's no point at all in doing it. Why adopt that view to start with?

Politicians are under pressure from a number of directions. One of them is the interests of the people who elected them. Another is the interests of their party. Another is the interests of corporate lobbyists. Another is the interests of the press. How people vote is only one factor on what politicians do, but it's wrong to say that it isn't a factor at all.

Voting doesn't cost anything and can have an effect. So refusing to do it just because it isn't a panacea is stupid.

namesake posted:

There's a lot of reification of The Vote going on here. A regular persons influence over the political process is so minimal and super focused on their vote that the disconnect between action and consequence is visibly apparent which deters and annoys people. Simply saying this should not get such a negative reaction and yet it does.

If many demographics fail to vote firstly that's a failure of the democratic process which is suppose to universally enfranchise everyone (and if the failure to participate can be observed along demographic lines that is far far more than an individual preference not to vote) and secondly getting these demographics to start acting politically in ways which cannot easily be diverted to 'so vote for X' then you are vastly more likely to see a government actually respond to their wishes.

Apart from the bit in bold I agree with everything you say. None of it implies that you shouldn't vote or that Russell Brand is right to tell people not to vote.

I'm not sure about the bit in bold at all. Why do you say that?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mister Adequate posted:

Maybe I was talking about literal concentration camps for refugees and not economic issues, champ. And anyway despite getting caught up in the thread rhetoric I am a social democrat, not a Marxist.

Marxism is not a political position damnit!!

Hug a marxist today (wash afterwards)

e;

Lord Twisted posted:

IMO Clegg's U turn was one of the most damaging political lies told to my (early 20s) generation. So many people I know (yes, anecdotal but look at the protests) used their vote for the first time, and were completely and utterly poo poo upon with only a paper thin apology.

Wait he apologised? I only remember him trying to claim it had never happened when they talked about raising the fees again.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

Wait he apologised? I only remember him trying to claim it had never happened when they talked about raising the fees again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Whitefish posted:

The attitude of, "we tried to vote once and nothing good happened so there's no point doing it again" is exactly the kind of simplistic view that Russell Brand is advocating for. Voting either has to work perfectly or there's no point at all in doing it. Why adopt that view to start with?
Do you think it's this attitude that is to blame for low turnout among younger voters? Does it even really exist? Or might it be more that there really is no party which credibly represents their interests? (and I'm assuming here that it's the lack of a credible Left in the UK that is at least partially to blame for the fairly low youth turnout in elections for the past few elections).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Spangly A posted:

(wash afterwards)

bourgeois excess!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Shelf Adventure posted:

Yeah, why would they pick someone who is constantly on the front pages and shows up on tv more than Stephen fry over a comedian who is only mentioned nowadays when journalists need an easy "isn't racism bad" story? It's a real head scratcher.

Because him having that fame is just something he has always naturally had and not itself a product of the very media attention I'm decrying?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Because him having that fame is just something he has always naturally had and not itself a product of the very media attention I'm decrying?

Farage was the punchline to a joke up until the time when his party managed to secure a parliamentary seat a few weeks ago, and now he's all over the news non-stop because gaining that small amount of legitimacy is all the licence that the media needs to throw him all over the front pages - he's outspoken and controversial (which makes him more appealing to the media than the usual carefully managed politician), but still defensible in the sense of being "newsworthy" by virtue of that minuscule political success.

That's all the justification the media needs to start covering somebody who is guaranteed to stir up debate and interest. He's gonna generate papers sold and clicks on websites.
The exact same poo poo happened when the BNP got their MEP and council seats back in.... was it 2010?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Whitefish posted:

Although this did represent an upswing in under-35 voting numbers, it's still a significant disparity. Moreover, the long term trend is that older people vote more than younger people, so even if there was a one-off election where more young people voted, unless there's a trend of young people voting more across multiple elections, it still makes more sense for politicians to focus on the interests of 35+s at the expense of under-35s.

So the Under 35's have to vote consistently for ten to fifteen years (Or more) before they're even really considered? It's not exactly a vote of confidence for the system where just waiting to be over 35 would make more sense.

Brand's view isn't "We tried it and it doesn't work" it's "It just doesn't work, it's a fix for two parties who are only different around the edges."

I mean yes do what you can to get Labour in and stop the Conservatives because some people are being thrown under the bus on those edges, but the illusion that if we all band together we can vote in a lefty party is a dream. It won't happen with the system we have.

Spangly A posted:

Not only apologized but got into the charts with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Oberleutnant posted:

Farage was the punchline to a joke up until the time when his party managed to secure a parliamentary seat a few weeks ago,

No, I think he's been less then a joke for at least for more than a year now, definitely since his party started picking up steam with hard-right Tories and the remnants of the BNP - he may be treated more seriously now, but I don't think he's been treated as a joke for quite some time now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oberleutnant posted:

Farage was the punchline to a joke up until the time when his party managed to secure a parliamentary seat a few weeks ago, and now he's all over the news non-stop because gaining that small amount of legitimacy is all the licence that the media needs to throw him all over the front pages - he's outspoken and controversial (which makes him more appealing to the media than the usual carefully managed politician), but still defensible in the sense of being "newsworthy" by virtue of that minuscule political success.

That's all the justification the media needs to start covering somebody who is guaranteed to stir up debate and interest. He's gonna generate papers sold and clicks on websites.
The exact same poo poo happened when the BNP got their MEP and council seats back in.... was it 2010?

To be honest, Question Time completely hosed the BNP as an institution. They'd been making gains in councils for the previous year decade, with their biggest moment getting elected to the European Parliament. Then, after Griffin made a tit of himself on Question Time, they gradually ended up losing all their council seats, including their entire group in Barking (where they were the Official Opposition) in the 2010 election.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 11, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

No, I think he's been less then a joke for at least for more than a year now, definitely since his party started picking up steam with hard-right Tories and the remnants of the BNP - he may be treated more seriously now, but I don't think he's been treated as a joke for quite some time now.

I'll admit my personal exposure to Farage and Ukip has mostly been "lmao this oval office nearly died in a plane crash" ....................... "oh poo poo they got a parliamentary seat", so I'll concede I don't really know to what extent they were in the public consciousness beyond that.

My local council is like half Ukip and has been for a while, though. :suicide:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Oberleutnant posted:

Yep, Britain First got a lot of air time too if only for the "Look at this loony bastard" factor. I can't recall the last time I've seen someone like the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition get air time. Heck the Green's are only in the press of late when it's talking about how (Or why) they're basically being ignored.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
just because we may not agree with ukip's policies, the timing of their surge and the fact that they seem capable of taking votes from all three parties is cause enough to cover them on TV.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TinTower posted:

To be honest, Question Time completely hosed the BNP as an institution. They'd been making gains in councils for the previous year, with their biggest moment getting elected to the European Parliament. Then, after Griffin made a tit of himself on Question Time, they gradually ended up losing all their council seats, including their entire group in Barking (where they were the Official Opposition) in the 2010 election.
Yeah that was an odd one. I remember being a bit hand-wringing at the time, mostly out of fear that the huge stomping Griffin got would generate sympathy among viewers who already felt disenfranchised or un-represented by the mainstream parties, but thankfully that never came to pass.
I'm sure the alleged financial mismanagement/outright fraud that the BNP perpetrated with their EU funding also probably played a part in their implosion.
Also was it really even before 2010? Time flies when you're miserable.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Oberleutnant posted:

He's been getting disproportionate coverage and being treated relatively seriously for far longer than the last few weeks. You can do quick web searches and find people in 2008 complaining about his disproportionate Question Time appearances for instance, which he got because of the coverage and interest he'd been afforded in other media.

It has been continuous and going on for a long time. I know why the likes of the Mail and the Express and the like do it, which is obvious enough, but have no idea why the rest of the media decided to get in on the action before there was a furore to draw them in.

Just let sleeping fascists lie (before you slit their throat).

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

He's excitingly anti-establishment, without being left-wing and so unSerious and threatening to wealthy people.

If an articulate socialist got the media treatment Farage does their party would be making progress in the polls, but the complaints about disproportionate coverage would be much more acute from the perspective of media decision-makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Burqa King posted:

just because we may not agree with ukip's policies, the timing of their surge and the fact that they seem capable of taking votes from all three parties is cause enough to cover them on TV.

Ditto the Greens?

• Locked thread