Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is how small the QTE indicators are. They can be kind of easy to miss if you aren't looking at that exact part of the screen right when it happens.

Also there's part of a mission where you're doing sniper support for you team that is assaulting a building and they don't really give you a good indicator of who you're supposed to shoot next so it can be a little too much trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I actually stopped playing that mod because of EXALT. They are just super frustrating to fight against. They get the same equipment and abilities you do while having 3 to 4 times your number, often with much higher HP.

Flashbangs and Smoke grenades are good against EXALT.

They also don't have SHIVs or MECs like you do, or Seekers/Cyberdiscs/Mechtoids/Sectopods like the Aliens do. This is a weakness you absolutely need to punish them for.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anatharon posted:

Flashbangs and Smoke grenades are good against EXALT.

They also don't have SHIVs or MECs like you do, or Seekers/Cyberdiscs/Mechtoids/Sectopods like the Aliens do. This is a weakness you absolutely need to punish them for.

The annoying thing is they also get smoke grenades and I swear theres no limit to how far they can toss alien grenades. Even if you have full cover they will just lob one across the map.

SHIVs and MECs are a good idea but SHIVs can only do so much and MECs can take a very long time to get going if UFO/MELD spawns don't agree with you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm playing Bayonetta 2 and it's got an example of what I swear games do. I'm trying to do one of the Muspelheim levels where things only take damage in witch time. Moving around I tend to gently caress up and not dodge right to trigger witch time but standing perfectly still I swear the enemies just walk back and forth and don't attack timely at all. It's like they know I'm waiting.

I swear Demons/Dark Souls do the same thing. When I give up and just say gently caress it and put down the controller enemies back away instead of just killing me right away.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Pet classes in a game that isn't all about pets are a nightmare to balance. If you keep them dead in line with other classes DPS-wise they've got a healthy amount of their DPS tied up in a fraction of their HP. While the Warrior can be at 10% health and function at full capacity a Hunter who has lost their pet (30% of their HP) loses a huge amount of DPS. If you keep their full DPS higher than the line it feels unbalanced unless things specifically make the pet a liability, therefore making their DPS encounter dependent.

In Rift, your pets got increased damage reduction to AoE damage as you put more points into the mastery. At the level cap, I think they were immune to AoE damage (cleaves as well). They didn't really have a lot of damage reduction otherwise, so unless it was a tank pet, it tended to get completely wrecked in PvP or soloing.

So yeah. I don't think I saw a pet outside of dungeons or raids because of it. If you saw a Warrior in PvP with a pet (a support build), killing his kitten would pretty much make him completely useless, since almost all the buffs he provided for the team came from his pet using abilities, and his abilities scaled with debuffs the pets used. That, and splashing a pet class into your build caused horrible problems as well, since the pets max level scaled with the investment into that class. Meaning at level 60, having 5 points into Necromancer gave... a level 30 pet.

Which draws a lot of hate from raid bosses (if you're not in combat) because the low level pet had increased aggro range due to being... 30 levels below the content level. Early pulls on bosses because someone didn't think about it suck.

TL;DR pet classes are amusing but awful.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pet classes have never really been done right. Even the original Everquest had serious problems with it. Pets would solo just about any other class pretty consistently as well as out damage them. It wasn't until about 3 years in that they started to really tackle the balance by buffing other classes.

I hated pets in wow though. As a marksman hunter it made me mad that all my skill was negated by a stupid beast master hunter pressing attack with his pet.

Dragging down Banished. It doesn't do a good job explaining how the wood cutters work or the gatherers. I have huge dips in production and can't tell why. Grrr.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jastiger posted:

Dragging down Banished. It doesn't do a good job explaining how the wood cutters work or the gatherers. I have huge dips in production and can't tell why. Grrr.

Wood cutters...cut wood. Make sure they have a marketplace nearby(if your village is big enough to support one) so they can actually retrieve wood without having to walk across the map for it. Also make sure you have enough space in your stockpile.

Gatherers work best in dense forest, so you can usually build them right next to your foresters lodge.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Guild Wars 2 the ranger was really gimped with Anet justifying it as "Well you got a pet so we have to gimp you to make up for it!" Then Anet said that the pet commands are just a simple "attack" and "don't attack" cause they didn't want to make it too complicated. The pet will have exactly 1 ability you have control over, yeah cause I didn't want to command when my pet can use its ability to turn itself invincible, just let it decide to do it whenever.

Also the pets were fragile as gently caress. If they died you had to wait 60 seconds to get it back out. Provided you do have a second pet you can swap to at the push of a button, then you have to wait 20 seconds to swap them. Say pet 1 was about to die, so you swap it. THen pet 2 immediately dies, welp you still gotta wait your 20 seconds and swap out, and just hope pet 1 doesn't die in a full minute. Oh and pets often die if an aoe as much as looks at them. I don't know what Anet's reason for just giving pets an aoe reduction is but I'm sure its stupid and dumb.

EDIT: Its especially aggravating if you wanted to play World vs World cause every fight devolves into everyone just mashing their aoe skill over and over and your pet is a permanent non factor cause gently caress if you can keep it alive.

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Nov 10, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

Wood cutters...cut wood. Make sure they have a marketplace nearby(if your village is big enough to support one) so they can actually retrieve wood without having to walk across the map for it. Also make sure you have enough space in your stockpile.

Gatherers work best in dense forest, so you can usually build them right next to your foresters lodge.

Right but the game isn't clear on what is dense enough or not. I know they cut wood yet I have a log shortage in a small village. What gives? It just says "they cut wood", yet often times they are dicking around NOT cutting wood. I'm sure there is a reason, but it isn't communicated in the game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

In Guild Wars 2 the ranger was really gimped with Anet justifying it as "Well you got a pet so we have to gimp you to make up for it!" Then Anet said that the pet commands are just a simple "attack" and "don't attack" cause they didn't want to make it too complicated. The pet will have exactly 1 ability you have control over, yeah cause I didn't want to command when my pet can use its ability to turn itself invincible, just let it decide to do it whenever.

Also the pets were fragile as gently caress. If they died you had to wait 60 seconds to get it back out. Provided you do have a second pet you can swap to at the push of a button, then you have to wait 20 seconds to swap them. Say pet 1 was about to die, so you swap it. THen pet 2 immediately dies, welp you still gotta wait your 20 seconds and swap out, and just hope pet 1 doesn't die in a full minute. Oh and pets often die if an aoe as much as looks at them. I don't know what Anet's reason for just giving pets an aoe reduction is but I'm sure its stupid and dumb.

EDIT: Its especially aggravating if you wanted to play World vs World cause every fight devolves into everyone just mashing their aoe skill over and over and your pet is a permanent non factor cause gently caress if you can keep it alive.

gently caress World vs World in general, its just giant zergs colliding into each other most of the time and just not fun at all. Even worse that its required for 100% world completion and you can't simply be close to the keep you need to get it as a point of interest, no you actually need to go inside of it, I spent 2 months with 98% world completion on one of the maps because my server didn't go blue for that loving long.

Then you need the borderlands which is effectively the same goddamn map, 3 loving times, I honestly just gave up and gave away my legendary precursor, WvW effectively killed my drive to keep playing the game as much as I used to.

And yea the AoE spam is insane, one time I missed on someone and landed on what looked like one red circle, I went from full health to dead in the blink of an eye, same poo poo one time we took a keep, once we knocked a wall down, the entire floor, the floor and all the way up the stairs was just red circle after red circle, good luck getting through if you don't have an invulnerability button.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

... And remember that unlike what your intuition may tell you, marketplace is not an end-game building! It should be built relative early and become the center point of your housing area. Assigning one or two people to the marketplace ensures that any item, no matter how far the production site is, is available right next to everyone's houses. This way, only your market workers spend time running across the map, while everyone else is either at work, home, collecting stuff from the marketplace or doing some chores at the city.

One excellent combo is to build a forester, hunter, gatherer and barn at the same location away from the city so that every other building is outside their working area. Their abilities support each other (although sometimes it is beneficial to turn off the 'cut trees'-option for a year or so).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I wanted to like Alien Isolation. I really did. But all it did is remind me why I don't like most survival horror. Ripley controls like she just arrived from the USCSS Resident Evil 1 and has all the pep in her step of a woman who needs to pee moderately badly. If the only way to make a game scary is by gimping the character, it is not for me.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've been playing Batman:Arkham Asylum thanks to PS+ and I find the camera zooming in a bit too close, especially if there are more than three opponents. I must adjust it constantly to see anything other that whatever is immediately in front of Batman, but it'd be nice if it could stay a bit back.

Also - although I knew that there'd be a need to backtrack, the game having a bit Metroid elements to it - the constant reminder of "here's a thing you can't interact with yet, so advance the plot and then return if you even remember to" is a bit tiring, especially since the map does not note it and there's no quick travel or shortcuts. I'd also not begrudge adding a mini-map or an objective marker.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Szurumbur posted:

Also - although I knew that there'd be a need to backtrack, the game having a bit Metroid elements to it - the constant reminder of "here's a thing you can't interact with yet, so advance the plot and then return if you even remember to" is a bit tiring, especially since the map does not note it and there's no quick travel or shortcuts. I'd also not begrudge adding a mini-map or an objective marker.

There are maps you can collect that will put all of the Riddler puzzles on your map.

Also, even if there's an enemy off screen that you can't see, Batman can still see him. So if you suspect that there's another dude lurking behind you, just keep attacking because Batman will just home in on him and punch him for you.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is how small the QTE indicators are. They can be kind of easy to miss if you aren't looking at that exact part of the screen right when it happens.

Also there's part of a mission where you're doing sniper support for you team that is assaulting a building and they don't really give you a good indicator of who you're supposed to shoot next so it can be a little too much trial and error.

I feel like there are a lot of parts in the game where I don't really know what i'm supposed to do. The orders given seem so vague that I just try different things and keep failing until I do it right. I can't think of any offhand but the one you mentioned I definitely had a problem with.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The main thing about Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum is that it's better to just leave them alone until you have all the gadgets, which isn't until you are very close to the end of the game.

I remember it being the exact same in Darksiders with chests/collectables, although they actually gave you a reason to backtrack as part of the plot near the end. If you backtracked earlier on in the game you pretty much wasted your time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mierenneuker posted:

The main thing about Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum is that it's better to just leave them alone until you have all the gadgets, which isn't until you are very close to the end of the game.

I remember it being the exact same in Darksiders with chests/collectables, although they actually gave you a reason to backtrack as part of the plot near the end. If you backtracked earlier on in the game you pretty much wasted your time.

It's really even less meaningful than in Darksiders, since at least you could scoop up some early Pieces of Heart or whatever they were called. After you get the few really important level-ups in Arkham Asylum, all that extra XP doesn't mean much of anything at all.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, I was briefly considering going back now that I have exploding gel, but then thought to leave the secrets until after I stop chasing the story or at least will be at the definite end - this will also have the added benefit of having all door open etc.

RyokoTK posted:

There are maps you can collect that will put all of the Riddler puzzles on your map.

Also, even if there's an enemy off screen that you can't see, Batman can still see him. So if you suspect that there's another dude lurking behind you, just keep attacking because Batman will just home in on him and punch him for you.

I've found two maps so far, I just wish the actual map would note those force field doors or the weak walls if I scan then, at least.

And to be fair, so far I only had a problem in one room, and that's mostly because I've gotten myself in the corner (and playing on Hard doesn't help) - I've unlocked a challenge room and it's a huge open space and doesn't have this problem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I feel like there are a lot of parts in the game where I don't really know what i'm supposed to do. The orders given seem so vague that I just try different things and keep failing until I do it right. I can't think of any offhand but the one you mentioned I definitely had a problem with.

The flipside is when they are clear on what you're supposed to do they expect you to do it right away and will keep harping on it until it is done.

Really the game needs more levels where you're just given a big area to operate in to let you actually use the Exo jump and such.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games. I don't understand the rationale behind completely breaking the flow of a game for garbage. This applies to any lovely minigame segment, but fishing is always the worst.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games. I don't understand the rationale behind completely breaking the flow of a game for garbage. This applies to any lovely minigame segment, but fishing is always the worst.

Fishing in real life is awesome and can be exciting as hell depending on what you're fishing for. Fishing in games is terrible, so I agree with you there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Inco posted:

This and also lockpicking.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Zelda Ocarina of Time fishing is fantastic though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Luisfe posted:

Zelda Ocarina of Time fishing is fantastic though.

This comes up every time fishing does and one game having sort of decent fishing doesn't excuse the countless amount of games that have really lovely, time wasting, boring as gently caress fishing.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Breath of Fire III/IV also had good fishing minigames that hinged on figuring out which baits and lures caught which fish where, and were also entirely optional/attached onto good games.

Someone provide commentary if Legend of the Fisher King on GB was a good game or not, I always wanted it as a kid but haven't really bothered tracking down a copy.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I think you mean Legend of the River King, and I love that game. Feels like one of the older fishing games on the SNES, but with an RPG element, which in my opinion, actually works quite well.

You travel between different towns, finding different lures and baits. You go after many different fish, and the end game is going after the River King, which is like a fishing boss battle. Very fun game, and it and its sequel are now both on the 3DS for its Virtual Console.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The mere possibility of another game doing fishing as well as Breath of Fire III justifies any number of attempts at such minigames.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Final Fantasy XII had a fishing minigame, but I don't think anybody knew it was there. You had to do it to get the super-secret ultimate best weapon (along with a bunch of other crap).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Heavy Lobster posted:

Someone provide commentary if Legend of the Fisher King on GB was a good game or not, I always wanted it as a kid but haven't really bothered tracking down a copy.

Yeop, if it's Legend of the River King you're talking about, it's pretty darn good. I bought a Game Boy Color on eBay years ago and the game was in it when it arrived. Seller said "you can keep it." :dance:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Final Fantasy XII had a fishing minigame, but I don't think anybody knew it was there. You had to do it to get the super-secret ultimate best weapon (along with a bunch of other crap).

FFXII had a lot of things nobody knew was there. I remember once hearing the theory that nobody had ever actually beaten it; while surely an exaggeration, it seemed like a pretty legit thought process at the time. I mean, have you ever met anyone who beat FFXII?

I specifically set out to beat it just so I didn't have a non-completed Final Fantasy game on my conscience. But while I know for a fact that I did complete FFXII, I don't remember a thing about the final stretch of the game, the entire final dungeon beign a big blank in my mind. So I can't present any proof that I did beat that thing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

FFXII had a lot of things nobody knew was there. I remember once hearing the theory that nobody had ever actually beaten it; while surely an exaggeration, it seemed like a pretty legit thought process at the time. I mean, have you ever met anyone who beat FFXII?

I specifically set out to beat it just so I didn't have a non-completed Final Fantasy game on my conscience. But while I know for a fact that I did complete FFXII, I don't remember a thing about the final stretch of the game, the entire final dungeon beign a big blank in my mind. So I can't present any proof that I did beat that thing.

Given the number of people bitching about the ending when it came out, I'd say more than a few played it to completion.

gently caress the haters--that game owns bones, even if what's-his-name ended up being the protagonist instead of Balthier.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

What's weird is in FFXIV they seem to have the whole pet thing figured out. I'm not sure why any other game hasn't followed suit since it's a viable class where you can control your pet (or put them on auto attack/skills), direct them and even switch targets. Even the healing (Scholar) class with the fairy healer is more fun than the straight up healing White Mage class.

It's strange. There's still balance problems but not to the massive degree I've seen in other games.

edit - For content, I wish ffxiv would give us a more fun healing/tank class. Everyone just got ninja so they're flipping out and shooting knives and dancing around out of stances, and healers just sort of stand there and spam the same 3 skills.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

muscles like this? posted:

The flipside is when they are clear on what you're supposed to do they expect you to do it right away and will keep harping on it until it is done.

Really the game needs more levels where you're just given a big area to operate in to let you actually use the Exo jump and such.

That's another problem I had. Most of the time your Exo suit was turned off and it pretty much played like a normal modern day shooter. It seems like a game that's big selling point was "futuristic weapons and armor" that levels would have been built around that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wish Mario Kart games would start doing more with Grand Prix mode. Mirror Mode is kind of a pointless extra by this point because it's not actually any harder than 150cc.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see, exactly, but by this point Mirror Mode just reads as :effort: and I kinda wish there was more to it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Not sure if it was worth unlocking the 25k-kill skill for the Master Sword in Hyrule Warriors.
Even with said skill, there's a bunch of weapons that you can actually customize with skills and stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

Not sure if it was worth unlocking the 25k-kill skill for the Master Sword in Hyrule Warriors.
Even with said skill, there's a bunch of weapons that you can actually customize with skills and stuff.

Unlocking Evil's Bane lets you unlock the other 25k-kill skills, which is important for Hero Mode.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RyokoTK posted:

I wish Mario Kart games would start doing more with Grand Prix mode. Mirror Mode is kind of a pointless extra by this point because it's not actually any harder than 150cc.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see, exactly, but by this point Mirror Mode just reads as :effort: and I kinda wish there was more to it.

Mirror mode was only good when the track was Toad's Turnpike so the race was into oncoming traffic.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

Unlocking Evil's Bane lets you unlock the other 25k-kill skills, which is important for Hero Mode.

Really thankful I wasn't trying to unlock someone else's weapon skill then. I would've been pissed.
Are they all Evil's Bane and is there no reason to never use it again?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

Really thankful I wasn't trying to unlock someone else's weapon skill then. I would've been pissed.
Are they all Evil's Bane and is there no reason to never use it again?

They're all "Legendary," which sets the weapon strength to 450.

So, no, it's not worth using the Master Sword since, duh, no slots.

e: I forgot the other thing dragging Mario Kart 8 down, and that's that its Rainbow Road isn't as good as Rainbow Road 7.
(because that's the best MK level ever :swoon:)

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.