Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I can imagine historical revisionists in the Avatar world about 70 or 80 years from LOK arguing vehemently: "No, no, no, that is a myth -- nobody really died in the War that Sozin initiated, so the Fire Nation's actions were entirely justifiable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

I can imagine historical revisionists in the Avatar world about 70 or 80 years from LOK arguing vehemently: "No, no, no, that is a myth -- nobody really died in the War that Sozin initiated, so the Fire Nation's actions were entirely justifiable."

"Comfort benders never existed, they were paid for their time."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

computer parts posted:

"Comfort benders never existed, they were paid for their time."

"The war wasn't about conquest, it was about Nations' Rights"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"The war wasn't about conquest, it was about ethics in games journalism."

This derail is done.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"It was Kuvira's programme of modernization that allowed the Earth Nation to rapidly transition from feudalism to modern industrialism."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have to wonder: if this show wasn't produced by a children's network, would they have shown Kuvira using knives to cut up Korra during their fight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If the show wasn't produced for a children's network it would be a very different show.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to wonder: if this show wasn't produced by a children's network, would they have shown Kuvira using knives to cut up Korra during their fight?

Probably not because Kuvira could have just crushed Korra's skull when she threw that metal band around her head but she clearly doesn't think it's good politically to kill the Avatar

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Clearly this show just needs far more parachutes in order to keep those body counts down.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, those mech pilots got away from the lava unscathed. But then again this is also a universe where people literally throw fire at you and only one person ever got burned

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Two people got burned mister. :colbert:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Katara, zuko, toph and the girl who took in Iroh and Zuko

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's the holocaust

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He spent 3 years doing lava bending and is now the only good fighter

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Runs away from 4 goons... Aang would poo poo on these guys

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Lucky she has C. Viper on her team... worst Avatar in history

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If only Spirit Fracking were a thing, but I suppose Spirit Logging will have to suffice.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

The last scene of Reunion had me cackling. God I can't wait for the inevitable showdown, and I'm happy we haven't seen the last of Toph.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

The last scene of Reunion had me cackling. God I can't wait for the inevitable showdown, and I'm happy we haven't seen the last of Toph.

Calling it now, next episode Toph goes down in a blaze of glory, by opening up a fissure in the earth and cackling madly as it swallows her and half of Kuviras army.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Kuvira doesn't looks like that much of an amazing fighter compared to some of the previous big bads of the franchise. I hope that this means that fightring her on foot would be just the prelude to her hopping into Metal Gear a giant suit of power armor with dubstep lasers for hands.

STANDING HERE I REALISE

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Content is unavailable on the Nick site. Haven't they done enough to this show? :argh:

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I really am missing the awesome fightscenes from the previous seasons. Somehow they just look so cluncky and dull in this season, and this episode wasnt an exception.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Whether you think Korra and Asami have a thing or not, this scene was ridiculously cute:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Unfortunately I do not believe the character's of Nickelodeon's Avatar: THe Legend of Korra will lez out and chow down on pussy this season

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Whether you think Korra and Asami have a thing or not, this scene was ridiculously cute:

:blush: "A-ah! Sempai noticed me!!" :kimchi:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RottenK posted:

Kuvira doesn't looks like that much of an amazing fighter compared to some of the previous big bads of the franchise. I hope that this means that fightring her on foot would be just the prelude to her hopping into Metal Gear a giant suit of power armor with dubstep lasers for hands.

STANDING HERE I REALISE

YOU WERE JUST LIKE ME TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Unfortunately I do not believe the character's of Nickelodeon's Avatar: THe Legend of Korra will lez out and chow down on pussy this season

I'm sorry but this post is everything wrong with this thread. I post about a cute scene and the next response is the type of thing I'd expect to see on Reddit or 4chan. Why do you feel a need to be so vulgar about a kids show?

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

I kind of figured that with the mechs and extensive CGI, the fight scenes for this season would be a little sluggish. But the action in this episode was great, with lots of swift movement and inventive techniques. The Bolin/Varrick stuff for example was in constant motion.

My bigger problem with the episode was the character stuff. Asami and Korra getting on each others' nerves felt shoehorned in, like it was a necessary fact of the characters' personalities when they've never acted like that before. With Mako, it at least made some sense.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Steensma posted:

My bigger problem with the episode was the character stuff. Asami and Korra getting on each others' nerves felt shoehorned in, like it was a necessary fact of the characters' personalities when they've never acted like that before. With Mako, it at least made some sense.

Asami got mad because Korra asked the one question she didn't want to hear; she secretly worries about that same thing, but she's so desperate to reconnect with her father that she doesn't want to think about it. I thought she was going to say "Do you think I didn't realize that" when Korra suggested maybe Hiroshi is playing her, but honestly the response she gave made even more sense.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Steensma posted:

It felt forced until I realized that it was kind of lovely of Korra to immediately go to "But what if he's just manipulating you???" without at least preceding it with "I think it's really strong of you to attempt forgiving someone who hurt you so badly."

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
varrick and bolin had some funny scenes in this ep, so that was chill.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It felt forced until I realized that it was kind of lovely of Korra to immediately go to "But what if he's just manipulating you???" without at least preceding it with "I think it's really strong of you to attempt forgiving someone who hurt you so badly."

And Korra's reaction itself to immediately jump to that question is pretty understandable given the past few years of her life.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sato posted:

Content is unavailable on the Nick site. Haven't they done enough to this show? :argh:
Same here. Is this normal for this time of day?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode was much better than most of the others this season. Also Bolin kicked rear end today.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalind posted:

And Korra's reaction itself to immediately jump to that question is pretty understandable given the past few years of her life.
This show is... good???

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This show is... good???

This Is (Not) A Bad Show

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This show is... good???

LoK is okay in its better episodes, but it will never compare to A:TLA. The 13-episode cour format really hurt them when it comes to developing good plot arcs and characterization.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo loving spirit Geiger counters.

Republic City is so getting nuked.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DrSunshine posted:

LoK is okay in its better episodes, but it will never compare to A:TLA. The 13-episode cour format really hurt them when it comes to developing good plot arcs and characterization.

Counterpoint: Korra season 3 was some of the best animated television I've ever seen, better overall than season 2 of TLA IMO.
Prediction for next episode:
Mama Toph breaks her family out of Kuvira's clutches after a crazy huge Earth-bending showdown. Sadly, Kuvira gets away with most of the world tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

Season 3 and this season are among the best animated seasons I've ever seen. There are flaws, sometimes generated by the limitations of the 13-episode format, but it's not like Avatar was without its flaws either. When the dust settles, we'll be able to look at both of them as fantastic, but very different pieces of American television.

That's a good point on the Asami thing. It just felt like the scene was a bit too heightened, like it went from pleasantries to explosive drama in 20 seconds. I wish there had been more buildup, but they needed more time for the chase.

• Locked thread