Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

Tennant's very first episode and his very last one as The Doctor form a neat little circle, wherein you can see all the lives The Doctor has changed, all the good- and bad, let's not forget -things he's done laid bare.

He begins "The Christmas Invasion" not knowing who he is, and who he should be- and he ends "The Stolen Earth", ready and willing to die, finally knowing what he needed all along- friends.

Just this once, in this most appropriate of episodes that is entirely reflective of RTD's worst excesses and greatest triumphs as a showrunner, in this episode that writes out my favorite Doctor thus far in David Tennant, all the terrible and amazing bits all evened out to an episode that made me remember how much I really do love RTD at his very best

Every time I read through that review, I find a new favorite part. Occ realy needs to hurry up and watch the next episode before someone spoils the surprise, becuse I can't wait to see his sincere reaction to Ten's "regeneration".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Every time I read through that review, I find a new favorite part. Occ realy needs to hurry up and watch the next episode before someone spoils the surprise, becuse I can't wait to see his sincere reaction to Ten's "regeneration".

We're doing it tonight. He doesn't want to wait to see Smith.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Uahahahahaha.

I wish you could film his reaction.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

hahahahahahaha oh god is this what joy feels like? I had forgotten

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Can you livestream your chat window?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

At least keep gooncam available

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

Can you livestream your chat window?

Oh. yes, please. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, and he's gonna be seeing the total loving over of Donna's character development too, isn't he. That's gonna be a fun reaction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Depending on how the conversation goes I might post it. By and large our simul-watch chats aren't really all that interesting - Occ puts together his quotes and notes while I make the occasional half-hearted snarky jab at something and explain murky plot points or serial stuff to him as needed (who Davros is, etc). Love & Monsters was an exception thanks to that nuclear-grade freakout at the end, and because I'd never seen the episode myself so I had more to say.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 11, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I get the feeling he will be hella mad

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oxxidation posted:

Oh this is going to be so magical

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I'm pleased that sitting on the information that we all found out during the season that Tennant was leaving until just before he watched The Stolen Earth helped.
Did we know that? I thought Smith wasn't announced until the Year of the Specials. I remember being pretty loving stunned that they'd managed to keep the casting of a new Doctor under total wraps. Or maybe my memory is completely shot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is the episode review I've been waiting for ever since he started. Is it cruel to laugh?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Season Five is legitimately amazing. It has some dud episodes, like the Vampire Fish one and the Silurian's, but the rest is quality. Then it has the best Christmas special after it too, and an amazing return, before The Day of the Moon takes a big poo poo and begins racing downhill.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i never thought i'd agree with a priormarcus post but here we are

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Did we know that? I thought Smith wasn't announced until the Year of the Specials. I remember being pretty loving stunned that they'd managed to keep the casting of a new Doctor under total wraps. Or maybe my memory is completely shot.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't until after The Next Doctor at the very least, because I remember for a lot of people there was an is he/isn't he regarding David Morrissey.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Telegraph has the announcement in Jan '09. Journey's End was 5 July '08. I was gonna post in Oxx's thread about how surprised everyone was at the time since Smith hadn't been announced yet, but felt like that was too close to coy spoiler bullshit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Yep! I actually checked the timing on everything so there weren't any out of place spoilers. The Royal Shakespeare Company announced the Tennant production of Hamlet and that pretty much set everyone off since there was effectively no way that he could do that and stay with the show (actually, the year of specials probably would have covered it well, but the timing all came together nicely). So fandom was well aware that Tennant was on his way out and then the regeneration cliffhanger happened.

Then two weeks after the finale aired, the production office of Doctor Who announced the year of specials and that Tennant and RTD were leaving once it was complete.

We didn't know about Smith until the year of specials was underway, though.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I actually really like stolen earth/journey's end. Like a lot. Like a whole lot. Shame about the Donna plotline being the worst thing and the maddest I've ever been.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Oxxidation posted:

Oh God
Oh Man
Oh Man, Oh God

This does make me wonder though. Where any of the new Doctor actors ever a surprise?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DeafNote posted:

This does make me wonder though. Where any of the new Doctor actors ever a surprise?

John Hurt. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DeafNote posted:

Oh God
Oh Man
Oh Man, Oh God

I doubt people were digging up information in advance for Troughton, but that might be the last time it was a surprise. There was an announcement during The War Games that Troughton was leaving and the show was retooling and from then on it was big news when they were changing the show. Admittedly, not prime time special big news with it simulcast world wide like Capaldi was, but mentioned on the evening news kind of thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Metal Loaf posted:

John Hurt. :v:

Nah I totally called that :smuggo:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would have been an amazing surprise if, by some miracle, they had been able to keep Capaldi under wraps right up until, "No, sir! All thirteen!"

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Man I haven't watched Doctor Who in a long time yet I still have this avatar. Maybe I should rewatch Tom Baker's and Pertwee's runs.

(and maybe watch the newest season and hope im not terribly disappointed)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think Occ's next review may necessitate hiding behind the sofa :ohdear:.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oxxidation posted:

That poor bastard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I don't think it's possible to imagine how poo poo Doctor Who will be if Osgood comes back and is the next companion.

I highly disagree because it would be like a continual version of when 11 had to break amy's faith in him in god complex.

Osgood has an idealized version of the doctor in her head and would be becoming a companion to him in his most cynical rear end in a top hat incarnation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's a good thing that it was Zygon Osgood that died then.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Paul.Power posted:

So the checklist for tonight:
1. Regeneration gets hand-waved away.
2. Donna gets the raw deal.
3. Rose gets the walking Doctor Dildo.

If Toxx ends up liking the episode, he has no soul. :ohdear:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

adhuin posted:

#1 is really what I think is going to kill it for him. He just blasted Turn Left for having no consequences as a What If episode. I can't see him not losing his mind over this one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

adhuin posted:

This is the one episode in the list that I guessed an F for.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Acne Rain posted:

I highly disagree because it would be like a continual version of when 11 had to break amy's faith in him in god complex.

Osgood has an idealized version of the doctor in her head and would be becoming a companion to him in his most cynical rear end in a top hat incarnation.
Yeah but that's well-trod ground at this point.

I want more Clara, she's the perfect companion for Capaldi.

thexerox123 posted:

This is the one episode in the list that I guessed an F for.

I guessed C because in my wildest, happiest dreams, I did not believe he would bite this hard on the regeneration fakeout. He's gonna be pissed at that, plus pissed about Donna; this is gonna be an F for sure.

Edit: oh god I counted wrong, I actually guessed A. :rip:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I think, I only gave it D, but that's the worst grade I gave.

F is reserved for the Olympic Episode, which wasn't part of the game.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm legitimately more excited about the next review than I was for the series finale on Saturday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

I'm just going to assume that the next review just consists of the word "gently caress" repeated five thousand times.

I went with "B" because I thought he would appreciate the tragic Donna arc and all the companions together bits, but the regeneration fake out is going to leave him in such a bad mood there's no way that this is getting over a D.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

adhuin posted:

4. Bad Wolf Bay

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
The fake out is a great troll and legit funny.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

God I love the language in Holmes episodes so much. You've got 'abase', 'perfidious' and 'abominated' all flying about on a Saturday teatime, and the way 'abhorrence' explodes off Tom's lips is just delicious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

hahahahahahaha oh god is this what joy feels like? I had forgotten

Oh my god yes I am so excited. I cannot wait.

I thought Part 2 was going to be an A for the Donna poo poo and Part 1 would be a B but idk maybe an F now? Hahaha this is gonna be gooooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

The fake out is a great troll and legit funny.
It's fine in and of itself, but in the context of Occ heaping a huge amount of praise on what he assumes is legitimately the end of Tennant's run...

• Locked thread