Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, those cutscenes.

They're all oldschool graphics. I've heard Save Them and Help Them. In the former, Freddy is chasing a Slenderman-looking guy. In the latter, that guy is first giving gifts and then 'giving life' - only when you deliver things to the kids, it's costume heads.

The cutscenes are telling the story of how the old animatronics came to be haunted and that guy's the puppet master. He's why the new animatronics have criminal database access. Something's going to happen with him in-game.

He has to be in there on the final night or two, right? Like the new guys go after him, the old ones come after you, but I dunno what he'd be trying to do by coming back. It's gotta all tie together somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The mask does not work like I thought it would! :gonk:

I thought it'd protect you from the old animatronics, while you just had to be calm around the new ones and let them do their thing - the nights changing their appearance to be more like the old (I've seen new Chica 'unbeaked' already...) making the distinction much harder as you juggle more poo poo. This has backfired.

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014

This is not only one of the best horror games ever, but also one of the best Nintendo games ever. Too bad it didnīt get the sales it deserved to get. Now after that Eternal Darkness 2 Kickstarter disaster we are probably never going to see a successor :rage:

Any love for the game here?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hell yeah, Eternal Darkness is one of my favorites. If I'm remembering right, it was Silicone Knight's spiritual successor who's kickstarter failed, ED is all Nintendo. That being the case, I still doubt we'll ever see a sequal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

panzertape posted:

This is not only one of the best horror games ever, but also one of the best Nintendo games ever. Too bad it didnīt get the sales it deserved to get. Now after that Eternal Darkness 2 Kickstarter disaster we are probably never going to see a successor :rage:

There's also a pretty good LP of it going on right now in the forums!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nintendo have done stranger things than digging up an old IP. If they can get a competent developer to make it I don't see why it couldn't theoretically happen some day.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

panzertape posted:

just fyi, they started development on the succesor game again. good chance it's going to come out. whether or not it lives up to the original is almost guaranteed to be a no, but still

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cyra posted:

just fyi, they started development on the succesor game again. good chance it's going to come out. whether or not it lives up to the original is almost guaranteed to be a no, but still

I dunno, Dyack is doing that whole "multimedia experience" thing that has literally never worked before with his new company and after reading all the horror stories about his management I doubt anything will come from him in the near future.

God, Silicon Knights went from awesome to awful so quickly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Didn't some people in this thread mention that Nintendo owns the rights to the sanity effects? My interest in an Eternal Darkness sequel hinges 100% on them having that. That was the entire gimmick of the game.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Improbable Lobster posted:

God, Silicon Knights went from awesome to awful so quickly.

A lot of it had to do with Nintendo constantly making sure SK did not turn out a crap product. The Twin Snakes/ED's success was large in part to Nintendo flipping the table to ensure their name was not associated with an inferior product.

It's a shame too, I hear a lot of good talent went to waste at SK.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

A lot of it had to do with Nintendo constantly making sure SK did not turn out a crap product. The Twin Snakes/ED's success was large in part to Nintendo flipping the table to ensure their name was not associated with an inferior product.

The made some pretty good PC games, too. Especially the original Blood Omen. They just didn't translate well into the newer generations without handholding, and they went full tilt when they had to build something on the Unreal Engine 3 and did all kinds of crazy things like stealing code and blaming the problems with their game's development on Epic withholding parts of the engine.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god, those cutscenes.

They're all oldschool graphics. I've heard Save Them and Help Them. In the former, Freddy is chasing a Slenderman-looking guy. In the latter, that guy is first giving gifts and then 'giving life' - only when you deliver things to the kids, it's costume heads.

The cutscenes are telling the story of how the old animatronics came to be haunted and that guy's the puppet master. He's why the new animatronics have criminal database access. Something's going to happen with him in-game.

He has to be in there on the final night or two, right? Like the new guys go after him, the old ones come after you, but I dunno what he'd be trying to do by coming back. It's gotta all tie together somehow.

How do you know he's not going to show up until the final night? How do you know he's not there right from the beginning? Why do you think the new, supposedly un-haunted animatronics attack you, hmm? :tinfoil:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Didn't some people in this thread mention that Nintendo owns the rights to the sanity effects? My interest in an Eternal Darkness sequel hinges 100% on them having that. That was the entire gimmick of the game.

IIRC they have a patent on a sanity meter that causes said sanity effects, not the effects themselves.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Yeah, Nintendos handholding always seems like it helps devs more than it hinders them.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 11, 2014

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014

IIRC they have a patent on a sanity meter that causes said sanity effects, not the effects themselves.

Well that sucks, there was still so much potential in that. Iīd be cool if Nintendo decided to boot that again. I could imagine some cool stuff they could do with the WiiU periphery. If it is done well, it might even be a reason for me (and probably some others) to buy one.

Also, dat soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q1qqqmlndc

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Isn't that like patenting a health bar?

I'd like to see a game expand on what Illbleed pretended it was for the first 10 minutes of the game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hell yeah, Eternal Darkness is one of my favorites. If I'm remembering right, it was Silicone Knight's spiritual successor who's kickstarter failed, ED is all Nintendo. That being the case, I still doubt we'll ever see a sequal.

Whoa whoa, let's watch it with this Silicone Knights business. This isn't the Senran Kagura thread

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The old animatronics seem a bit twitchy in Five Nights 2. I've been killed a handful of times by Chica and Bonnie while they've been looming in the office but after I've put the mask on, when a couple times before I've been able to get it on and eventually they left. It seems to be based on how fast you get it on, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Hitting them with the flashlight might help.

Old Chica continues to be annoying as hell. She'll practically teleport right into the office from the get go on Night 3, which is the farthest I've gotten so far.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I keep getting killed on Night 2. I can handle Foxy and his buddies quite well, settling into a decent pattern, but then balloon boy shows up and all my planning goes to poo poo.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep getting killed on Night 2. I can handle Foxy and his buddies quite well, settling into a decent pattern, but then balloon boy shows up and all my planning goes to poo poo.

I got lucky with that one and only had it show up in the left vent once, which seems to be the only place it can come from at that point at least. Putting the mask on for a bit made it giggle and leave, then it was back to dealing with Foxy and the others.

Night 3 changes things up a bit. The new animatronics hardly move at all, but the old ones are super active. Bonnie loves hanging out in the drat hall while Chica does her best xenomorph impersonation in the vents, which makes it troublesome when you need to wind the music box.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
( just noticed outlast is 4.74€ on the humble store )

Resume freddy chat. I'm probably not an horror game person but I love reading about them and their mechanics.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I rather like the new death SFX. It's less high pitched, so it doesn't hurt my ears, but more scream-y and has some sort of servo-like sounds in the back.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dijon du jour posted:

How do you know he's not going to show up until the final night? How do you know he's not there right from the beginning? Why do you think the new, supposedly un-haunted animatronics attack you, hmm? :tinfoil:

That actually seems legit. Night 4's phone call mentions the animatronics behaving strangely aggressive towards staff, but perfectly fine around children. The old animatronics are after you because they remember and, despite being so broken down, they want your head. And the new ones are obviously hooked up to the criminal database. Either way, hiding your face makes them back down briefly.

Of course, that leads to the question of why the gently caress the company never ran a background check on you. But I think at this point it's pretty obvious that the Fazbear Corp. is pretty inept, so maybe they just didn't bother!

Either way, I can't wait to see what the final night is like. You really don't get but a split second to put that Freddy head on if someone shows up in front of you. Still haven't seen Foxy 2.0 attack, which is kind of disappointing. It's probably the creepiest bot, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than chill on the ceiling making noise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait there's a new game by the Ghostship Aftermath people out already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqCFlhUV354

e: i know this is early access but this looks like garbage

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 11, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ChibiSoma posted:

Either way, I can't wait to see what the final night is like. You really don't get but a split second to put that Freddy head on if someone shows up in front of you. Still haven't seen Foxy 2.0 attack, which is kind of disappointing. It's probably the creepiest bot, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than chill on the ceiling making noise.

Well that's obviously because Foxy 2.0 has personally experienced the horrors children are capable of every day. A guy who's killed a few of the little buggers is a-ok in her book. Also lol at the management just leaving out expensive electronics specifically for toddlers to take apart and put back together. I'm glad Freddy Fazbear's commitment to giving all OSHA inspectors heart attacks continues under the new ownership. :allears:

Turning off the baseless conjecture for a moment, yeah, it's weird that there would be an animatronic that doesn't do anything. Even Balloon Kid, who doesn't attack you, disables your flashlight leaving you open to Foxy 1.0 attack. Maybe Foxy 2.0 does something similar like make Foxy 1.0 much more active when she's in the room or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've seen a kill-screen of hers, so she definitely can kill you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't want to know how that...thing kills you. So far I've only seen Mangle draped across the prize room, staring intently at the camera. Gives me the goddamn heebie jeebies like nothing else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha, yeah, the final night. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Major, major spoilers here: look at the date on your cheque then play Night 6. 1987.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

There are at least four post-death minigames; This one is noteworthy if you keep an eye on the top of the screen.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Marionette has the same 'pinprick of white on black' eyes that Gold Freddy has?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha, yeah, the final night. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Major, major spoilers here: look at the date on your cheque then play Night 6. 1987.

I'm not sure what exactly that's spoiling?

Edit: I'm one of those people who probably won't play the game so basically what I'm asking for is an elaboration.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Len posted:

I'm not sure what exactly that's spoiling?

Edit: I'm one of those people who probably won't play the game so basically what I'm asking for is an elaboration.

It's a reference to "The Bite of '87". On one occasion the phone guy in the first game refers to an incident in 1987 when an animatronic bit off someone's frontal lobe. So that date on the paycheck pretty much confirms what the game has been hinting at ("Animatronics acting strangely towards staff" "Suddenly a new position has opened up on the day shift" "Someone snuck into the back and put on a golden Freddie costume and then...") which is that this game is a prequel and the game takes place during the infamous "Bite" and the missing children incident that began the restaurant's downward spiral.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 12, 2014

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

(courtesy of TG Weaver)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Wanton Spoon posted:

(courtesy of TG Weaver)

I like this characterization of the security guard. Not scared at all, just here to do his job and annoyed at these loving stuffed animals that keep bothering him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dijon du jour posted:

It's a reference to "The Bite of '87". On one occasion the phone guy in the first game refers to an incident in 1987 when an animatronic bit off someone's frontal lobe. So that date on the paycheck pretty much confirms what the game has been hinting at ("Animatronics acting strangely towards staff" "Suddenly a new position has opened up on the day shift" "Someone snuck into the back and put on a golden Freddie costume and then...") which is that this game is a prequel and the game takes place during the infamous "Bite" and the missing children incident that began the restaurant's downward spiral.

Yeah, it's not a hugely inventive thing but it's a neat addition and explains a lot. I think my only problem with the game is that it's more overtly supernatural than the first, but I guess it's not a huge stretch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

I haven't played the game either, but I thought one of the things about this game is that the old animatronics are worn down from the first game? How'd that happen if it's a prequel?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Mr E posted:

I haven't played the game either, but I thought one of the things about this game is that the old animatronics are worn down from the first game? How'd that happen if it's a prequel?

The Phone Guy makes mention of a previous Fazbear company that was using them until they went under, and that they tried to contact them when poo poo started getting bad. It's assumed that since the new animatronics are facial-wreckognition machines, the old ones were favored more because they operated on a free-roaming mode during the night and generally behave during the day, so they phased them BACK in.

Amusingly, this means that Fazbear Pizza has been mauling people for decades and they still keep brushing the murders under the rug and having legal exclusions at their job. It also means the Phone Guy, who's implied to take your job, has been doing his job for over 20 years or so before he got killed in FNAF 1

I grabbed this game last night out of a dumb, dumb, dumb compulsion to enjoy some cheap scares. And while FNAF 1 was a learnable experience that could lessen the scare impact by gaming some small elements (knowing that bringing up the camera with a doll in the room kills you, dropping power near the end to avoid a surprise kill and waiting out the clock, strategically managing Foxy), I don't feel ANY of that works here.

I feel more helpless than ever :gonk:

The wind-up musical box is kind of dumb though. I could do without that mechanic

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amgard posted:

The Phone Guy makes mention of a previous Fazbear company that was using them until they went under, and that they tried to contact them when poo poo started getting bad. It's assumed that since the new animatronics are facial-wreckognition machines, the old ones were favored more because they operated on a free-roaming mode during the night and generally behave during the day, so they phased them BACK in.

Amusingly, this means that Fazbear Pizza has been mauling people for decades and they still keep brushing the murders under the rug and having legal exclusions at their job. It also means the Phone Guy, who's implied to take your job, has been doing his job for over 20 years or so before he got killed in FNAF 1

I grabbed this game last night out of a dumb, dumb, dumb compulsion to enjoy some cheap scares. And while FNAF 1 was a learnable experience that could lessen the scare impact by gaming some small elements (knowing that bringing up the camera with a doll in the room kills you, dropping power near the end to avoid a surprise kill and waiting out the clock, strategically managing Foxy), I don't feel ANY of that works here.

I feel more helpless than ever :gonk:

The wind-up musical box is kind of dumb though. I could do without that mechanic

FNAF1 was slow-building tension. 2 is constant terror.

I think them referencing an even older establishment is the sequel hook this time. Maybe this time will be a sequel to 1 instead of a prequel, with the original company getting back the rights or whatever and reopening their own restaurant again. Fredbear's Family Diner back in business again! Give the 1.0 models some cleaning up, and there's an easy way to bring in the Toy models in some capacity ("They scrapped the 2.0 models, so we got their parts for cheap and built some new guys!") - the Mangle getting a proper body finally and working as a pair with Foxy would be kinda cool. They come at you as one unit.

Really, there's a lot of places they could go with FNAF3, and you know drat well that this series is going to at least hit 3. They seem pretty quick to make, they're cheap, silly fun, and I'm sure 2 has sold enough already to justify it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ChibiSoma posted:

Really, there's a lot of places they could go with FNAF3, and you know drat well that this series is going to at least hit 3. They seem pretty quick to make, they're cheap, silly fun, and I'm sure 2 has sold enough already to justify it.

The real question is how long will it take for burn out to set in and for furaffinity to start charging for ad space.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

FNAF1 was slow-building tension. 2 is constant terror.

I think them referencing an even older establishment is the sequel hook this time. Maybe this time will be a sequel to 1 instead of a prequel, with the original company getting back the rights or whatever and reopening their own restaurant again. Fredbear's Family Diner back in business again! Give the 1.0 models some cleaning up, and there's an easy way to bring in the Toy models in some capacity ("They scrapped the 2.0 models, so we got their parts for cheap and built some new guys!") - the Mangle getting a proper body finally and working as a pair with Foxy would be kinda cool. They come at you as one unit.

Well what I like about the series is that it doesn't try to cheat you out. The rules are easy to learn. It's like a board game where you play at a handicap. The pieces can be tracked, and you always have a tool to deal with them, but the game banks on paranoia and fear pushing you to make sub-optimal moves or to panic and waste resources.

I think it's a given we're going to get a FNAF 3. I'd like to see something happen where you manage the Pizzeria during the day time (whether or not there's an event going on) and see how the horror model holds up with clear lighting.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The real question is how long will it take for burn out to set in and for furaffinity to start charging for ad space.

When we reach Five Nights at Freddy's 10: Freddy vs Jason in Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Amgard posted:

I think it's a given we're going to get a FNAF 3. I'd like to see something happen where you manage the Pizzeria during the day time (whether or not there's an event going on) and see how the horror model holds up with clear lighting.

Maybe it'll be a Shining scenario where the restaurant is closed for renovation over the winter and you have to keep watch over it night and day for five days.

I was also thinking about new mechanics he could add, like ways to attract or repel robots from certain rooms. Maybe have a couple of windows you could open to repel robots with bright sunlight, but the drawback would be the introduction of a robot who loves the sunlight and will try and break out through the window if it's open.