Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
You know what makes me angriest about this whole situation? The white people acting like THEY'RE the ones who are about to be in danger. Sorry, last I checked the heavily-armed soldiers with riot shields and Sabre Red spray were not there to protect the crowds of protesters! Is it just in their nature to fear black people in groups or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Astrofig posted:

You know what makes me angriest about this whole situation? The white people acting like THEY'RE the ones who are about to be in danger. Sorry, last I checked the heavily-armed soldiers with riot shields and Sabre Red spray were not there to protect the crowds of protesters! Is it just in their nature to fear black people in groups or what?

I remember during the Rodney King riots, my family spoke in hushed tones about "reports" of white people being raped and/or killed on sight. So yes, they really do straight up fear angry black people in groups, to the point that they'll believe any nonsense that telephone game's their way.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
NPR says that McCullough says that the grand jury is still hearing evidence, and that a no bill decision, will not be forthincoming before late November.

I dunno, I thought the people who said they would do it earlier had a point, fire hoses and riot armor can get chilly in the winter, and have you ever busted a protesters skull with a truncheon in the winter? that poo poo stings! Makes your knuckles ache like crazy.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

lurker1981 posted:

edit3: Because I can't believe this actually got published...

I'm going to need a source on that being about the Michael Brown case, I checked Luckovich's website and I don't see that cartoon going back to the beginning of august when this happened and I think I see a bad 2011 copyright on here, implying it's about Michael Jackson.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Babby Formed posted:

I'm going to need a source on that being about the Michael Brown case, I checked Luckovich's website and I don't see that cartoon going back to the beginning of august when this happened and I think I see a bad 2011 copyright on here, implying it's about Michael Jackson.

Yeah, it was about Michael Jackson.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Astrofig posted:

"White people" can, do, and are protesting as well. Institutionally you are better off being white, but police brutality is a poor demographic problem that transcends race. Michael Brown could have been white and it wouldn't have been any better or worse. And actually being a well-off white dude, doesn't make you immune either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Talmonis posted:

I remember during the Rodney King riots, my family spoke in hushed tones about "reports" of white people being raped and/or killed on sight. So yes, they really do straight up fear angry black people in groups, to the point that they'll believe any nonsense that telephone game's their way.

My 80-year-old aunt has been terrified of black people ever since the 1967 Detroit Riot, which she got caught in. She's also afraid of Jews and really anyone who's not white and heterosexual in general, but she's literally afraid of blacks.

A lot of the people scared of minorities don't have a lot of true malice in their hearts. They likely were raised poorly and had bad experiences, and confirmation bias keeps it going.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 10, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Astrofig posted:

This is par for the course. That's the point of all these leaks of gear that the police are loading up on, so that good hard-working White People will know that the police are out to protect THEM from the filthy animalistic blacks. People spend their entire lives in this country needing to think of black people as monsters because it's the only way they can see the hosed-up justice system and overwhelming poverty and think that it's something they brought on themselves

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Our corporate VP of communications just sent out a memo saying don't come to work if the rioting is bad. Our offices are literally in the richest and whitest part of St. Louis. I lol'd.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Peven Stan posted:

Our corporate VP of communications just sent out a memo saying don't come to work if the rioting is bad. Our offices are literally in the richest and whitest part of St. Louis. I lol'd.

Does the metrolink go to your area? I've heard that the ferals use it to play the knockout game in the suburbs.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Milk that poo poo. Send an email all "I was getting ready to leave the mansion and head to my chauffeured automobile when I saw one of those blacks dart across the road. I was afraid he would wash my window and demand a dollar. I cannot leave the premises for a week."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does the metrolink go to your area? I've heard that the ferals use it to play the knockout game in the suburbs.

I live in the city. There's a metro stop 5 minutes from my apartment. I have a cauldron of boiling oil going to pour off my balcony in case of marauding blacks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Peven Stan posted:

I live in the city. There's a metro stop 5 minutes from my apartment. I have a cauldron of boiling oil going to pour off my balcony in case of marauding blacks.

One of my friends moved to the city in July and started posting on Facebook about how he was sleeping with his pistol under his pillow when the Ferguson protests started. You know, the protests occurring like a 35 minute drive away which might somehow spread down there and target him because reasons. It's amazing how some liberals will turn gun-stroker when the possibility of unhappy black people is in their time zone.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Y'know, I'd be afraid to go outside in Ferguson too, but not because of the protesters.

It's looking like the moment a non-indictment is announced, the police are gonna straight-up nuke the town without waiting for any provocation.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Stultus Maximus posted:

If the metrolink goes out to St. Charles, it will bring the crime with it! Urban youth will arrive by train and leave by car!

---

Prosecutor McCulloch was running unopposed, so last week I cast a write-in vote for Michael Brown.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

In a decision that surprised no one, McCulloch rules July 5 shooting by Pine Lawn police was justified.

St. Louis Post Dispatch posted:

The fatal shooting of an unarmed man on July 5 by a Pine Lawn police officer appeared to be justified and "not excessive under the circumstances," according to a review by St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert P. McCulloch.

The shooting, involving a black man shot by a white police officer, occurred one month before the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, by a white police officer in Ferguson. The Brown shooting has led to continuing protests and a grand jury investigation.

In this case, Christopher Maurice Jones, 30, of Bel-Ridge, died from a single gunshot wound to the rear of his right arm; an autopsy determined that the bullet entered his chest cavity and struck his heart, according to a four-page synopsis of the evidence in the case written by an attorney in McCulloch's office. The medical examiner's office previously had denied requests for the autopsy report, saying the case was still under investigation. The office did not respond to an email followup Monday.

The synopsis said Jones fled a traffic stop by a Pine Lawn police officer on westbound I-70 at Burmuda Drive about 1:54 a.m. With Officer Nicholas Stone in pursuit, he drove as fast as 114 mph before crashing on the exit ramp to southbound I-170, then got out and continued running down the ramp.

Looking inside the wrecked car, Stone saw an empty holster in the center console, the synopsis said. Stone then chased Jones on foot. Jones resisted several attempts by Stone to put him in handcuffs, including three discharges from a Taser.

Jones, who stood 6 foot 2 inches tall and weighed 240 pounds, "was substantially larger in frame and stature than Stone," the synopsis said.

Stone said Jones swung his arm backward, striking Stone in the chest, and threatened to kill him. Jones reached into his waistband with his right hand and raised his shirt with his left. Stone drew his weapon and yelled, "Show me your hands" at least three times, the synopsis said.

"The suspect continued to bring his arm backward to the officer's location," the synopsis said. Stone, believing Jones had drawn a firearm, "discharged his weapon one time, striking Jones in the outside portion of the right arm," the synopsis said.

Investigators could not find any independent witness to the shooting, according to the synopsis.

There was no video evidence, either, despite a 2012 agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice that the city make "reasonable effort" to secure funding for in-car video cameras to provide "an unbiased account of events." That agreement was precipitated by complaints about police misconduct and racial profiling. But the synopsis said none of the Pine Lawn officers or cars had cameras. Anthony D. Gray, director of public safety for Pine Lawn, has said that the department is still evaluating cameras.

Detectives with St. Louis County Police Department located two of Jones' friends, who told them he had been "heavily intoxicated" and "increasingly combative" with friends at a small Independence Day party. Jones had a 0.17 percent blood-alcohol level, more than twice the legal limit, and had marijuana in his system, the synopsis said. About 32 grams of marijuana, and scales, were found in the wrecked car.

Although a release from St. Louis County Police hours after the shooting claimed that Jones had been pulled over for a "wanted person" alert on the license plate, the synopsis said Pine Lawn officers were not aware the car had been reported stolen or that Jones had active warrants or previous felony convictions.

"The initial stop was solely because of the speeding," the synopsis said.

The synopsis found irregularities in the Taser records: Time stamps indicated the weapon was deployed after Jones was pronounced dead. Investigators decided the Taser's internal timer was not accurate.

Jones' mother, Christa Jones of Bel-Ridge, recently told the Post-Dispatch that authorities had not communicated with her about the circumstances of her son's shooting. And she said no one notified her Monday, before a reporter sought comment.

"Of course they were going to say justifiable homicide," she said. "But how do you justify killing somebody, a human being?"

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

All of this has happened before and will happen again:

This was from a Nov. 1955 White Citizens Council newsletter.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

A whole lot of folks just live their whole lives waiting for Nat Turner to show up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Y'know, I'd be afraid to go outside in Ferguson too, but not because of the protesters.

It's looking like the moment a non-indictment is announced, the police are gonna straight-up nuke the town without waiting for any provocation.

After watching the live feeds of the protests, I'd agree with you. There was one night where they were literally marching and driving armored vehicles down suburban streets, firing tear gas at everyone they saw no matter who they were or what their skin color was (and obviously shooting into backyards). They even surrounded two reporters in an apartment block parking lot and fired tear gas grenades directly at them so one of them got hit by one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I'm not going to say your family isn't being needlessly paranoid, but people being randomly attacked for no good reason was a thing that happened during the LA riots. On national TV.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not going to say your family isn't being needlessly paranoid, but people being randomly attacked for no good reason was a thing that happened during the LA riots. On national TV.

There was that.
On the other hand people here, today, are not in gang-infested 1992 Los Angeles. St. Louis in 2014 is rather different.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, Reginald Denny is on the lips of every terrified prepper ever. They have PTSD about seeing it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm pretty far behind on news regarding this. Has an official autopsy report been released yet?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand people here, today, are not in gang-infested 1992 Los Angeles. St. Louis in 2014 is rather different.
True, but he was reminiscing specifically about his family during the 1992 LA Riots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zerilan posted:

I'm pretty far behind on news regarding this. Has an official autopsy report been released yet?

Yes. All that can be actually confirmed from the new autopsy report is that Brown was shot at extremely close range during the scuffle in Wilson's SUV (I think at least twice). The media immediately jumped on this as "proof" that Brown tried to grab Wilson's gun because their articles are written by biased fucktards.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I want to say that while I believe that Zimmerman should not have even been charged for killing Trayvon Martin, I still think what he did was morally reprehensible and he is a completely insane racist shitbird. The same goes for Darren Wilson. Even if evidence comes forth that legally exonerates him from shooting Michael Brown, it still looks to me like someone was trying to catch a runaway slave. So basically what I'm saying is that even though what someone is doing may be technically legal, that doesn't make it automatically morally acceptable.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes. All that can be actually confirmed from the new autopsy report is that Brown was shot at extremely close range during the scuffle in Wilson's SUV (I think at least twice). The media immediately jumped on this as "proof" that Brown tried to grab Wilson's gun because their articles are written by biased fucktards.

I've been saying again and again, what happened during the "tussle" is of less legal important than what he was doing immediately before he was shot. Also just because there was a "tussle", doesn't mean that Michael Brown was automatically at fault. Brown could have very well been acting in self defense against an insane cop who slammed a car door into him and grabbed his neck for no other reason than he refused to get out of the middle of the street.

quote:

A Texas teacher who posted a profanity-filled tweet over the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. -- telling those who disagreed with her to "kill themselves" -- is being fired, school officials said Monday.

Vinita Hegwood, an English teacher at Duncanville High School, was suspended without pay Monday pending her discharge after posting a "reprehensible" message on her personal Twitter account, according to the Duncanville Independent School District.

On Friday, Hegwood tweeted the following: "Who the f--k made you dumb duck a-- crackers think I give a squat f--k about your opinions about my opinions RE" #Ferguson? Kill yourselves."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/10/racially-charged-tweet-on-ferguson-shooting-gets-texas-teacher-fired/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Apthous fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 11, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

lurker1981 posted:

Then why are people protesting and rioting if they don't even know yet whether he will be put on trial?

Because it looks likely that Wilson will walk without even a trial. If the Grand Jury does not indict him, that means that there will be no trial, and since that is gross injustice, it is predictable that it will be protested.

This may or may mot lead to riots, but will be characterized as such if at all possible.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty much a do as I say not as I do deal with whites. Go on a rant about blacks and plead the first if you're white. Go on a rant about whites if you're black and watch as former first amendment fans forget about "freedom of speech"

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Peven Stan posted:

Pretty much a do as I say not as I do deal with whites. Go on a rant about blacks and plead the first if you're white. Go on a rant about whites if you're black and watch as former first amendment fans forget about "freedom of speech"

I know I'm not a racist because that story made me remember how much I hate teachers and I basically forgot/ignored the fact she is black.

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

Tell that to Anthony Cumia

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Apthous posted:

I know I'm not a racist because

Some Reason.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Astrofig posted:

That's an artifact of the very real fear of slave revolts and uprisings, later refined into narratives about blacks rising up and killing whites in revenge for being treated like poo poo throughout America's history. That's always in the back of their mind and, to be honest, pretty much a curse of being a straight white racist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

towelieban posted:

He went on the racial rant because a woman stood up to him for taking creepshots on the street in NYC. It was the combination of racism and invasive perversion that got him fired.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Everyday Lurker posted:

That's an artifact of the very real fear of slave revolts and uprisings, later refined into narratives about blacks rising up and killing whites in revenge for being treated like poo poo throughout America's history. That's always in the back of their mind and, to be honest, pretty much a curse of being a straight white racist.

There's also the fact that they are visibly the 'other', so every incident in which someone black does anything bad/weird isn't some sort of bad apple, but a further indication to dislike and distrust all of them. It also reinforces the existing stereotypes that are prevalent and reinforces a racist worldview. You also have a fairly pervasive network of hucksters and actual, honest to god race-baiters in the right-wing hate machine who will find whatever story and make sure that it's out there. The "Liberal" media manages to somehow add to this, though not as bad as the full on hate machine. Add in deliberate government efforts over the entirety of our countries existence to treat black people worse, from the days when lynching was acceptable in some areas (late '60s even?) to the drug war, re-segregation, further cuts/curtailment of any civil rights laws (even up to today) and then you've got legitimate data that a sizable portion of the adult black population is convicted felons, and obviously "that's just facts".

Rather than wondering why that is, and why say stop-and-frisk stops blacks more often than whites even though you'd have to be stupid to think that whites aren't doing drugs at an equal or even higher level, or why more often than not a white person will get abuse treatment or leniency but a black person won't, instead it feeds in to the racism. You even have people who want to have the zombies/thugs/ferals actually rise up so they can put them back in their place, or people who saw food stamps getting cut and were expecting riots without any idea that whites would be doing the same if in the same position. Hearing that "slavery ended 150 years ago so they should stop whining" without any sort of irony about what happened after reconstruction ended or even after the CRA was passed is frightening. Or similar things about Native Americans actually wanting treaty obligations from the late 1800's actually enforced (fishing on Lake Michigan for instance).

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Everyday Lurker posted:

Yes white people living in/near Ferguson are afraid of race riots because the fear of a slave uprising is embedded in their racial collective unconscious/DNA. Jesus Christ D&D.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Narciss posted:

Yes white people living in/near Ferguson are afraid of race riots because the fear of a slave uprising is embedded in their racial collective unconscious/DNA. Jesus Christ D&D.

It's almost as if he's suggesting that such a belief could be transferred down, father to son, mother to daughter, being slowly evolved with the time to justify having the same basic core belief, just with slightly different reasoning, until the actual reasoning that started it is now ridiculous. But still the core belief exists as something very real and even has real world consequences!

Gee, what an amazing leap in logic.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Narciss posted:

Good point, if he had said that it would have been pretty dumb. God damnit D & D!!!

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

towelieban posted:

McDowell posted:

He went on the racial rant because a woman stood up to him for taking creepshots on the street in NYC. It was the combination of racism and invasive perversion that got him fired.

Sincerely doubt he would have been fired for taking pictures. Even if they were creepy.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GAPO posted:

Sincerely doubt he would have been fired for taking pictures. Even if they were creepy.

Nope, he brought it on himself by having a public race rant temper tantrum when someone stood up to him.

But please, keep canonizing a guy who entertained people by reading chimpout.com on the radio. Really makes you look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why does anyone respond to Narciss

• Locked thread