Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

We should probably organize some form of goon meat again with all these fobs showing up.

Also if any of y'all spoil anything about Interstellar in here or on Line I'll loving hunt you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

poetrywhore posted:

You made fun of it? I loved it!

It was still a great movie. But you know... PLOT HOLES

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Are there any veterans of NTNU's Mandarin program here? I'd like to ask a lot of rambling questions
http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/oia/multi/english/programs.html

Alternatively, does anyone know of any language programs starting up in January/February?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I was at NTU but I've heard things about NTNU. You can search Forumosa for pages upon pages of reviews too, it's like the most popular place for Mandareen learning
Basically all of the language centers will start the next semester after Chinese New Year break

Does anyone here have any opinions on the bar "Carnegie's"? This utter sleazeball of a French guy is pushing our classmates to hold an event there (we usually go to regular restaurants or all you can eats etc) and I am... hesitant.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

hitension posted:

Does anyone here have any opinions on the bar "Carnegie's"? This utter sleazeball of a French guy is pushing our classmates to hold an event there (we usually go to regular restaurants or all you can eats etc) and I am... hesitant.

Not bad if you do something for brunch there. If you hit up a ladies night you'll need to be aware that some of them are prostitutes(like actual working girls), most nights it's scummier than Brass Monkey and it sounds like your sleazeball friend would fit right in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Carnegies is an OK restaurant by day and a bar for middle-aged sexual predators at night.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
All of the above, except I don't really think their food is all that great

Among douchey expat sports/"rock" bars, ontap is probably the most tolerable

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Tavern used to be a good place to check out the rugby from time to time, but since we can't have nice things it's closed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
On tap is awesome if you're the kind of guy who owns a pith helmet.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I went to carnegies one time, not on ladies night. Other foreigners actually approached me and talked to me there, which is a little unusual in Taiwan. On the other hand, it seems like the kind of place for people who think Taiwan is Thailand. I haven't been back since.

I dont see a problem with going there one time, plus there is a really great Canadian restaurant nearby called Whalens if you want pretty authentic poutine for dinner beforehand. They import the gravy from Quebec.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

politicorific posted:

Are there any veterans of NTNU's Mandarin program here? I'd like to ask a lot of rambling questions
http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/oia/multi/english/programs.html

Alternatively, does anyone know of any language programs starting up in January/February?

Are you looking for a degree or just a continuing education type experience where you can go to class more on your own terms? The pdf on that page listing Chinese is going to be quite different from the Mandarin Training Center linked on the left just FYI http://web.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/mtcweb/index.php?lang=en

I was at NTNU's MTC a couple years ago for a couple three-month terms. It was great and I highly recommend it. It was a great experience and really helped my Chinese. Go ahead and post or PM any questions you want.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Horatius Bonar posted:

I dont see a problem with going there one time, plus there is a really great Canadian restaurant nearby called Whalens if you want pretty authentic poutine for dinner beforehand. They import the gravy from Quebec.

:tviv:

Do they make Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches as well?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Carnegies is an OK restaurant by day and a bar for middle-aged sexual predators at night.

this sounds like it is worth doing at least a few times?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

caberham posted:

:tviv:

Do they make Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches as well?

They do and they are loving spot on.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

goldboilermark posted:

this sounds like it is worth doing at least a few times?

Sexual predating?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

kenner116 posted:

Sexual predating?

No, just sex.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kenner116 posted:

Sexual predating?

i meant going and just watching everything go down, watching middle aged dudes who have no idea how awkward they are can be entertaining imo

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

USDA Choice posted:

Are you looking for a degree or just a continuing education type experience where you can go to class more on your own terms? The pdf on that page listing Chinese is going to be quite different from the Mandarin Training Center linked on the left just FYI http://web.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/mtcweb/index.php?lang=en

Right, for some reason the link to the mandarin center points at an ip address, I didn't want to use that in case that ip changed in the future.
I'm looking for an intensive course. I can just barely pass level 3 of the Korean proficiency exam. I busted my rear end in 2012 just getting through the first few basic levels and thought, "Why should I pay for Korean classes; I don't have the time and there are Korean speakers everywhere." Fun fact: where I live there are very few KSL teachers who are familiar with the types of errors native English speakers make.

USDA Choice posted:

I was at NTNU's MTC a couple years ago for a couple three-month terms. It was great and I highly recommend it. It was a great experience and really helped my Chinese. Go ahead and post or PM any questions you want.

Alright. So... I suppose the thing to ask at first is, where's the best place to get housing if I'm going to be attending NTNU and how do I go about house hunting before arriving? Is there a language lab I could get into? I'm going to have 6 weeks before the semester starts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

i meant going and just watching everything go down, watching middle aged dudes who have no idea how awkward they are can be entertaining imo

Yeah, "watching".

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just like how you watch that Starbucks baristas every morning

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't expect the majority of the China goons to understand basic human interaction tbqh

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

goldboilermark posted:

I wouldn't expect the majority of the China goons to understand basic human interaction tbqh

:clint: shots fired :clint:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

goldboilermark posted:

Well if watching fumbling slopguts with more money than social skills is your thing, Carnegie's is practically Disneyland.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

Please teach us your wise way of life.

Tell me about this interaction you are speaking of and how you utilize it in that bar. Or how you interact with "your barista" every morning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

You're the guy who berated a stranger (who was using the elevator correctly in a way that went above your head) for using the elevator wrong and wouldn't leave him alone.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Well if watching fumbling slopguts with more money than social skills is your thing, Carnegie's is practically Disneyland.

That was my suggestion, I wasn't suggesting going and being sexually preyed upon but more just watching awkward people try to do their thing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

You're the guy who berated a stranger (who was using the elevator correctly in a way that went above your head) for using the elevator wrong and wouldn't leave him alone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

One time my "friend" went to "watch" "other people" sexually harass women at a dive bar.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

goldboilermark posted:

a mcdonald's delivery guy was on our floor (33 out of 35) and i was waiting to go down, and he came up and hit the up button. the elevator arrived for me and i got on and he did to and i told him "this is going down" and he said "yeah i want to go down" and i said "you hit the up button" and he said "so an elevator will arrive faster" and i said "that's not how elevators work" and he said "it doesn't matter"

it is kind of a dick move but i guess in the cosmic sense it indeed doesn't matter so i guess technically he's right

do you think that is berating? do you think that was me not leaving him alone?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

One time my "friend" went to "watch" "other people" sexually harass women at a dive bar.

fart simpson posted:

the sort of disturbing part is i know all these people and have been out to bars and parties with almost all of them before and this has never happened before. i'm talking like 75% of the guys there yelling at her to kiss the guy that's leaving, which she didn't want to do, for several minutes until she finally did. then a couple guys just walked up and kissed her when she wasn't looking, followed by a guy telling her he was currently looking down her shirt, then several people grabbed her rear end while taking small group pictures, then the guy that was leaving grabbed her collar and pulled on it so he could look down her shirt. then a bunch of the guys started picking some of the women up and throwing them into the air and catching them, and there was a lot of groping going on. another intern told me she was afraid she was next so she hid in the corner and didn't talk to anybody until we all left the restaurant. it was bad. then they went bar hopping after that and i have no idea what happened there because i went home

do you mean that story

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

do you mean that story

Yes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

do you think that is berating? do you think that was me not leaving him alone?

You're also the guy that goes around on wechat leaving negative comments, trying to deflate the spirits of people you barely know.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hello Taiwan thread.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is what a leaking LAN thread looks like, FYI

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gbm used to be super duper chill and just types lol

Lol goons

:beerpal:

And likes drinking beer. Taiwan seems perfect compared to Tianjin.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Gbm used to be super duper chill and just types lol

Lol goons

:beerpal:

And likes drinking beer. Taiwan seems perfect compared to Tianjin.

By caberham, age 5

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have not been drinking much beer at all lately, I'm saving up for my trip back to the States next month :getin:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus Christ, and to think I thought "yo guys how buy the drugs?" was going to be the dumbest point in this thread.

e: This thread has become a good parallel for the cross-strait situation. Everything was super chill while the Taiwan side just did it's thing and then China started leaking and now the floor's covered in poo poo and piss and it's not even our own poo poo and piss.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

TetsuoTW posted:

Jesus Christ, and to think I thought "yo guys how buy the drugs?" was going to be the dumbest point in this thread.

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

e: This thread has become a good parallel for the cross-strait situation. Everything was super chill while the Taiwan side just did it's thing and then China started leaking and now the floor's covered in poo poo and piss and it's not even our own poo poo and piss.

:tipshat: