Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I do like the gooey membrane covering her gloves and boots, though. Who thought that resembled shiny vinyl or leather at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

I do like the gooey membrane covering her gloves and boots, though. Who thought that resembled shiny vinyl or leather at all?
I could buy it as an over-stylized wrinkled and bunched velvet.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Don't miss out on Batman in the background swooping in and, I dunno, casting fireball?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Superstring posted:

Don't miss out on Batman in the background swooping in and, I dunno, casting fireball?

I thought he'd spilled chilli on himself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is it seriously from the nineties? Everything about her looks liked it was dated, even then, by more decades than I've been alive.

That particular example is dated even for the era but yeah if you go back there's a lot of 90s comics I could have sworn up and down were 1987 at the latest but were in fact 1992-4.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

That particular example is dated even for the era but yeah if you go back there's a lot of 90s comics I could have sworn up and down were 1987 at the latest but were in fact 1992-4.

The 90's started in '85 and ended in '95, everyone knows that

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In Comics? Kind-of? Wasn't AoA 96? Besides Marvel and DC's output from like 96-2004 or so is definitely its own category of "more 90s than either decade bookending it, but not the 90s as we think of it."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was under the impression the Dark Age basically went from The Dark Knight Returns (or a touch after?) to when Marvel launched the Ultimate line. Unless we're splitting it into two or three distinct chunks?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't think there's any real authority on the subject, but my personal opinion is that the Dark Age was definitely from about 85-96 or so, and 96-04 was the industry clawing itself back out of the pit the Dark Age caused. Then around 04 the superhero movie craze was really getting into full swing and Marvel/DC were making some reasonably big changes to their flagships and universes (Marvel for the better, DC for the worse), and that era lasted until about 2011 when the New 52 hit and Marvel started doing its "one year = one season = new Issue #1" thing with its main books.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brocktoon posted:

Check out this sultry Catwoman I found while reading Knightfall...

That tree or whatever the hell it is on the left looks like it's reaching in to grab her rear end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phil Noto:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Phil Noto:

Well, he certainly got over that "draws one face" thing.

Brain Sale
Feb 12, 2008

Payndz posted:

That tree or whatever the hell it is on the left looks like it's reaching in to grab her rear end.

It's a cat which appears to be jumping into Catwoman's rear end. Happy to help.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

McSpanky posted:

Well, he certainly got over that "draws one face" thing.

Man, I see what people mean by this, but it's a really, really good loving face.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first three pages from Multiversity: Pax Americana by Frank Quitely.

This spread was also nifty. Told in three time periods.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

They should just lock Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely in a room and force them to make comics constantly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a documentary on the BBC iPlayer - for those who can get at it - about Quietly and how and where he works: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03v2vcb/what-do-artists-do-all-day-9-frank-quitely

I enjoyed it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

This was the best part of the issue. One large overhead of a static room, and the physicality of it being used to tell three stories that all still work from left to right, down the page.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 20, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jesus.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretty and all, but geez, the editors have become desensitized to violence if this is not an 18+ comic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goatface posted:

There's a documentary on the BBC iPlayer - for those who can get at it - about Quietly and how and where he works: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03v2vcb/what-do-artists-do-all-day-9-frank-quitely

I enjoyed it.

If it doesn't show a large quantity of weed and a bad work ethic, it's not representative.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It does show him working in a dive and sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag he uses when he misses the last bus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anora posted:

Pretty and all, but geez, the editors have become desensitized to violence if this is not an 18+ comic.

Agreed. This definitely needs at least a 14+ sticker if nothing else. Still, Morrison/Quitely is one of the best working teams in comics. Try seeing that done in any other medium.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh. That is weird that it just has a "Teen" rating on the cover, not a "Teen +"

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

goatface posted:

It does show him working in a dive and sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag he uses when he misses the last bus.

And drinking tea in the rooftop

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that O'Ryan of the New Gods doing the shooting?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

No it's a character called peacemaker I think. Pax Americana is an alt universe scenario, it has versions of the blue beetle, the question and captain atom (the blue superman/doc manhattan one that was in the final crisis superman story) and some new characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

prefect posted:

As Puntification said, it's the Charlton Characters Universe. Basically picture the characters of Watchmen which were all based off of Charlton, since it's clear that's what they're being modeled after (with Question there showing a lot of JLU influence as well).

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah Peacemaker was who the Comedian was based off of.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why did Ant-Man jump out of a space capsule and shoot the President through the mouth? And why did it all happen in reverse?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Why did Ant-Man jump out of a space capsule and shoot the President through the mouth? And why did it all happen in reverse?

Art mother fucker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Everyone should read that issue. It's only $5, and it's a perfectly self contained issue. I don't think you'll ever get as much artistic bang for your comic buck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dick Trauma posted:

Good comic, unlike the bad ones you're used to seeing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poo poo, wrong thread.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 22, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have mixed feelings with regards to Grant Morrison's writing, but I will pick this up for the artwork alone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Anora posted:

Quitely - and I suppose Morrison has to do with this as well - is pretty amazing when it comes to portraying ultra violence. We3 has pretty much the most astonishing portrayals of violence I've ever seen, and (I said this before) are a perfect example of how things can be shown in comics that film can never dream of.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is "ultra" violence exactly?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

What is "ultra" violence exactly?

It's what you go out and do with your droogs when you're all hosed up on milk and Beethoven.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know it sounded like a stupid question, but I don't know whether "ultra" means "especially brutal" or "vividly depicted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sounded like a stupid question, but I don't know whether "ultra" means "especially brutal" or "vividly depicted".

Kinda both I guess?