Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mr. Wiggles posted:

While your current results are apparently superb, have you considered replacing your eggs with tofu?

I have actually done this.

It was a substitute, but a poor one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tofu scrambles are the saddest friggin things

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well obviously you're supposed to take multiple steps in tofu preparation before you replace the eggs 1 for 1 because otherwise it won't work right but I figured a forum full of cooking goons would know that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tofu scramble:

Step 1: Get tofu
Step 2: Throw the tofu in the trash you monster

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I'd be all over that poo poo if I was in Calgary. But they want me to pay them $12 to ship $12 worth of stuff, so I'm going to pass for now. I'll have to do more digging in Ottawa for these kinds of things, I guess. I've been looking all over the poo poo for file, but with no success.

If I wasn't currently limited mobility, even further limited by the ice poo poo storm we had Saturday and Sunday, I would offer to pick them up and ship them to you, but alas! I don't want to risk slipping on ice and ruining my surgered knee. If the weather improves or I can get someone to take me, I will get you habaneros.

EDIT:

Quoting for truth

Casu Marzu posted:

Tofu scramble:

Step 1: Get tofu
Step 2: Throw the tofu in the trash you monster

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Some guy on reddit agreed to eat a dick if some comment was "gilded" 400 times (each guilding costs $5)

Of course they did it, but the dud actually follwed through. No one sold dicks in his town, so he bought some beef dog chews from Petco made of beef pizzle

I'll let the video speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4WoVMWn154

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've always used green cardamom pods. How do black pods differ?

I'm a few pages old on this but

they're smoked

(also a key secret ingredient in my bbq rub :ssh: )

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

guppy posted:

The girl I'm seeing told me on Sunday that she doesn't order eggs out anymore because they're never as good as mine, which is about the best kind of compliment there is. Thanks Gordon Ramsay!
I think it's hilarious that the internet has attributed scrambled loving eggs to Gordon Ramsay. I mean power to the people, it's great people are learning poo poo, and all that. But it ain't even like some spergy refinement of some classic thing like you see Keller or Blumenthal or whoever doing. It's just the standard default loving thing. Except I guess at like loving Denny's or whatever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ Agreed. His method is good, but I do scrambled eggs a few different ways, all with excellent results.

GrAviTy84 posted:

tofu scrambles are the saddest friggin things

Yup. Although last week the GF got some frozen vegan burritos in the mail for review, and the breakfast burrito was surprisingly good. Wasn't straight tofu, though, was tofu and TVP.

And it was very well seasoned.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

I think it's hilarious that the internet has attributed scrambled loving eggs to Gordon Ramsay. I mean power to the people, it's great people are learning poo poo, and all that. But it ain't even like some spergy refinement of some classic thing like you see Keller or Blumenthal or whoever doing. It's just the standard default loving thing. Except I guess at like loving Denny's or whatever.

You'be got to admit that most breakfast joints make them by frying up egg product or just whipping eggs and frying them until they're anywhere from sorta-spongy to tough and spongy. Ramsay / Julia eggs are the poo poo when you get over the idea that scrambled have to be firm. Plus you can add cream cheese at the end to halt the cooking instead of milk. Makes it so drat silky.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

You'be got to admit that most breakfast joints make them by frying up egg product or just whipping eggs and frying them until they're anywhere from sorta-spongy to tough and spongy. Ramsay / Julia eggs are the poo poo when you get over the idea that scrambled have to be firm. Plus you can add cream cheese at the end to halt the cooking instead of milk. Makes it so drat silky.
Not sure what you're arguing here, or think I am. Yeah, you can get lovely scambled eggs at lovely restaurants, especially if your frame of reference is a place like Denny's. But the `Ramsay method' is what you would expect to get by default in France, for example. It's literally the way scambled eggs are defined in Larousse.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My point is that most restaurants that serve scrambled eggs do it lovely. You're saying that "it's hilarious that the internet" only eat at poo poo stains like Denny's. Hell every single diner I've been to do it the same lovely way. Ok, if I want to drop $30+ on breakfast, sure I can get "correct" scrambled eggs. You're being unnecessarily elitist by being amazed that most folks don't drop that much cash on something most people skip anyway. I mean you're making fun of a dude for being proud that his SO loves his cooking. Great attitude in a cooking forum. But sure, keep being smug I guess?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SubG posted:

Not sure what you're arguing here, or think I am. Yeah, you can get lovely scambled eggs at lovely restaurants, especially if your frame of reference is a place like Denny's. But the `Ramsay method' is what you would expect to get by default in France, for example. It's literally the way scambled eggs are defined in Larousse.

But it isn't in most of the US and you know that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

My point is that most restaurants that serve scrambled eggs do it lovely

truefax. I've started asking for my eggs runny because they come just barely overcooked now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tofu is really delicious and you guys are super dumb.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

Tofu is really delicious and you guys are super dumb.

Tofu owns. No one saying it sucks in and of itself.

It sucks as a substitute for meat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah dude. I fuckin love tofu. It's just not a meat replacement in dishes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

My point is that most restaurants that serve scrambled eggs do it lovely. You're saying that "it's hilarious that the internet" only eat at poo poo stains like Denny's. Hell every single diner I've been to do it the same lovely way. Ok, if I want to drop $30+ on breakfast, sure I can get "correct" scrambled eggs. You're being unnecessarily elitist by being amazed that most folks don't drop that much cash on something most people skip anyway. I mean you're making fun of a dude for being proud that his SO loves his cooking. Great attitude in a cooking forum. But sure, keep being smug I guess?
I don't think it's some sort of crazy elitist poo poo to think it's funny that people attribute to Gordon loving Ramsay a method of preparation that's literally the textbook example of the dish and which predates him by at least a century.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
That part is fine. The part where you act like french style scrambled eggs are in any way the standard everywhere or that only lovely places serve scrambled eggs any other way is the part that makes you sound like an elitist gently caress. I've worked in some pretty drat decent restaurants and scrambled eggs for brunch weren't sent out dry but weren't made with creme fraiche either, because that isn't the standard in the US.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One time I made scrambled eggs for my girlfriend and she asked me to cook them longer because she's conditioned to dry, rubbery scrambled eggs, not the delicious moist, creamy eggs I originally presented to her :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Midniter posted:

One time I made scrambled eggs for my girlfriend and she asked me to cook them longer because she's conditioned to dry, rubbery scrambled eggs, not the delicious moist, creamy eggs I originally presented to her :(

Sever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

That part is fine. The part where you act like french style scrambled eggs are in any way the standard everywhere or that only lovely places serve scrambled eggs any other way is the part that makes you sound like an elitist gently caress. I've worked in some pretty drat decent restaurants and scrambled eggs for brunch weren't sent out dry but weren't made with creme fraiche either, because that isn't the standard in the US.

Yeah, this. The vast majority of the US eats dry, hard scrambled eggs. And likes them.

The first time I watched Ramsey's video, the first comment was "EWWW they are so runny! If I ever order scrambled eggs in England, I'll have make sure that I order them 'well done'!!!"

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Nah, you can make runny, delicious scrambled eggs without creme fraiche or cream cheese by just adding a splash of milk or cream to the eggs before you beat them. I've always eaten them that way, even as a kid.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

That part is fine. The part where you act like french style scrambled eggs are in any way the standard everywhere or that only lovely places serve scrambled eggs any other way is the part that makes you sound like an elitist gently caress.
What luck that I didn't say that then. My point is that the `Ramsay method' is a bog-standard approach to scrambled eggs. Just like tacos al pastor is a bog-standard approach to tacos. Even if you can't get them at Taco Bell. Or similar arguments about traditional Chinese cooking versus what you get from a Panda Express, and traditional Italian cooking versus Olive loving Garden. I mean I guess you could argue that no the standard way to make tacos is to dump loving Hamburger Helper into a goddamn taco shell because that's how most Americans get their tacos. But this strikes me as a pretty loving ridiculous way of looking at it, for any number of reasons. Not the least of which being that it implicitly privileges the culinary experience of the average American consumer over the culture that actually developed the food in question. As if food doesn't exist until somebody like Gordon Ramsay makes a youtube video explaining the recipe to the US-centred, English-speaking mass media.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Comparing how Ramsay prepares scrambled eggs to how Olive loving Garden prepares pasta must be the harshest insult I've ever seen levied at the guy. I mean one is just a different way of preparing a basic dish while the other basically is a warcrime.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
People are very angry about eggs ITT.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Over easy eggs are clearly superior anyway so this is all a moot argument.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just a bunch of people arguing about what they do when they screw up their omelettes.

:smug:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I don't like eggs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echeveria posted:

I don't like eggs.

What are your feelings on tofu?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Only like tofu as tofu, not as meat replacer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echeveria posted:

Only like tofu as tofu, not as meat replacer.

Congratulations, you passed the test. Barely.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Congratulations, you passed the test. Barely.

I like tofu as a meat replacement in my chilli. It goes terrifically with the beans. Throw in a packet of mushroom soup mix and you're on the road to real flavour.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

rj54x posted:

GWS General Chat: People are very angry about eggs ITT.

Ooo, good idea! I like the Julia Child omelet episode the most. Nice, quick, tasty egg topped with whatever you like!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Haha, I just don't like being told that you might as well just eat Olive Garden and Taco Bell if you don't make your eggs with creme fraiche. I agree that it's funny that Ramsay is now the inventor of a method that's been around for literal centuries, but just because people make scrambled eggs differently in a different country (where using things like creme fraiche is a relative rarity most places) doesn't mean that anyone who does that might as well be eating trash food, since their palate is obviously not adult enough for Real Scrambled Eggs.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm sure ramsay doesnt think he invented it, and would set people straight if they said it around him. It's not his fault other people are dumb.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm sure ramsay doesnt think he invented it, and would set people straight if they said it around him. It's not his fault other people are dumb.

I can't be the only one that calls it the Ramsay method based on the fact that it was his video that was my first exposure to scrambled eggs made that way.

I'm more of a poached guy myself.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Xoidanor posted:

Comparing how Ramsay prepares scrambled eggs to how Olive loving Garden prepares pasta must be the harshest insult I've ever seen levied at the guy. I mean one is just a different way of preparing a basic dish while the other basically is a warcrime.

He's not insulting Gordon Ramsay, he's comparing Ramsay's egg technique (i.e. the standard, traditional way of cooking scrambled eggs) to traditional Italian cooking. In this analogy, Olive Garden is the dry, rubbery scrambled eggs of the Italian food world.

esperantinc posted:

I can't be the only one that calls it the Ramsay method based on the fact that it was his video that was my first exposure to scrambled eggs made that way.

Well, yeah, that's why anyone who calls it the Gordon Ramsay method calls it that, but that doesn't mean it's not a little ridiculous considering it is the classic way of cooking scrambled eggs. The only reason it's so new and novel is because for some goddamn reason a significant portion of Americans have this idea that runny eggs = raw = poison, so everything from boiled to scrambled is overdone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never had decent scrambled eggs anywhere other then someone's house. Tofu is also a fine replacement for lovely meat like in 90% of americanized Chinese food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I use yoghurt instead of creme fraiche as I always have it to hand. Works well.