Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
There is an excellent, excellent theory being worked over at Q4T regarding Milwaukee, which includes climbing 92 steps up a spiral staircase and not the grand staircaise. It hasn't culminated in a dig site yet because all signs show Preiss using some sort of tree as the marker for Milwaukee. But I'd say that puzzle is currently the "hottest" and is very, very firmly on the right track. They are asking people not to repost things to the general internet (as the hunt has really picked back up this year) but it's not private if anyone has access. It's in the image/verse threads most often associated with WI.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually popped over to Roanoke when I was traveling for my job and despite knowing that I was at a cask location I still couldn't find anything. Nothing matched the picture, Preiss didn't give a poo poo and didn't declare casks out of play or care if anyone found them, and buried them in places where digging is a felony. Sorry but the thread peaked when the guy dug for six hours because the flat rocks he uncovered "told him the treasure was close." Everything else has been interesting but pointless theories that don't mean anything because nobody is going to dig. Let this thread die.

There has been more progress made on this hunt (if you can call it that) in the last 7 months than in the previous 7 years. Don't give up hope yet. It's getting really tiring having people come in here and demand that goons commit a crime for your entertainment.

There have been big non-SA digs in multiple states this very year. I think realistically myself and NBB are the most likely to dig in this thread, and I'm happy to do so when I have a theory worth digging. Right now I'm either wrong, the casque is gone, or it's somewhere near where I thought and I have no idea where.

I had been working with someone to discuss the logistics for a Boston dig near the compass but our lives diverged and we need to pick up the thread. It's useless though as it's fall in MA, so digging until the spring will be tough.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

I actually popped over to Roanoke when I was traveling for my job and despite knowing that I was at a cask location I still couldn't find anything. Nothing matched the picture, Preiss didn't give a poo poo and didn't declare casks out of play or care if anyone found them, and buried them in places where digging is a felony. Sorry but the thread peaked when the guy dug for six hours because the flat rocks he uncovered "told him the treasure was close." Everything else has been interesting but pointless theories that don't mean anything because nobody is going to dig. Let this thread die.

You go and die. I want that sweet goon treasure found and believe that one will be dug up if people get on with the digging already.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

xie posted:

There has been more progress made on this hunt (if you can call it that) in the last 7 months than in the previous 7 years. Don't give up hope yet. It's getting really tiring having people come in here and demand that goons commit a crime for your entertainment.

I'm not demanding anyone commit a crime. I'm saying that a "game" with a bunch of ambiguous garbage where you can generate dozens of pages of theory and interpretation and be unable to check your work without a felony is stupid. And saying that "progress has been made" when nobody has found anything strikes me as...foolish optimism? "Progress has been made" would be his wife posting the start locations, or the artist helping, or someone finding another cask (a sample size of 2 does not give consistent ways on how to solve these puzzles, another solve would help with the remaining casks - THAT is progress).

Also, here's a little content and I say this as someone who walked nearly every bit of walkable Roanoke beach from east/south part of the fort to the north/west part of the Elizabethan Gardens (which I enjoyed, btw): Cask 3 is out of play. There's nothing that looks like or matches Preiss's image. Whatever was "last touched or first seen standing" on those beaches and can be found hidden in that image was remodeled, demolished, or eroded. And if you say "well it's somewhere else" then you have become a crazy maniac. You can match every verse line to starting at Kill Devil Hills and ending up on a beach on Fort Raleigh. And I walked it all, and there's nothing there to find anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You tell 'em, jockstrap!

But autists gotta aut.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I don't know anyone actively trying to recover Roanoke, so it seems everyone agrees.

By progress I mean MI type stuff. There is now a workable theory that includes Polaroid images along the way, including a 92 step staircase and a solve for the grand 200 that isn't the same drat staircase.

Is it a casque? No. But at least old long lovely theories are getting worked over again. It really really seems like trees were used in Mil, which really bites 32 years later.

xie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 10, 2014

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I think the noun you guys have been desperately searching for all these years is "solution"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

Is it a casque? No. But at least old long lovely theories are getting worked over again. It really really seems like trees were used in Mil, which really bites 32 years later.

LMAO the only the thing getting "worked over" are your buttholes by the ghost of Byron Preiss. Turns out your latest solve is missing critical landmarks, whoops? How many times are you going to do this dance - well I found it but, uh, they paved over the park, or moved the zoo, or cut down the trees, or LMAO the clues are so bad that we don't even know where to start or what city it is but this time we totally got it, guys.

I'm not making fun of you, you really did solve most of these as best as you could I think, but the poo poo ain't recoverable and the poems/pictures don't work anymore. Don't drive yourself nuts over it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LMAO the only the thing getting "worked over" are your buttholes by the ghost of Byron Preiss. Turns out your latest solve is missing critical landmarks, whoops? How many times are you going to do this dance - well I found it but, uh, they paved over the park, or moved the zoo, or LMAO the clues are so bad that we don't even know where to start or what city it is but this time we totally got it, guys.

I'm not making fun of you, you really did solve most of these as best as you could I think, but the poo poo ain't recoverable and the poems/pictures don't work anymore. Don't drive yourself nuts over it.

or you could dig them up, you bums

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
While I totally agree that the thread peaks with that guy digging for 6 hours based on that purely mental poo poo, you should pipe down. It's all just good fun, and you just make an rear end of yourself coming into a thread like this and displaying so much anger.

Also, I for one am going to be digging a big old hole looking for one of these child's projects just as quickly as real life affords an opportunity for me to get back to my site.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

No one will ever find the Milwaukee cask, dude.

Downtown has been given too many facelifts over the years to give critical landmarks any relevancy.

There's no way your gonna find those 3 birch trees. I've personally walked around looking. It's a pipe dream.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I wouldn't put your personal anecdote as proof of anything but I'm largely in the same camp, particularly about that puzzle.

For a while I had a hunch on Montreal, but I'm feeling worse and worse about it. If it really was in the Golden Square Mile it's similar to downtown Mikwaukee.

The trick is to keep at them until one of them turns out to still be there. I'm crazy but I'm not that crazy. If the other dude lets me re post the parts that are his work, I think I can show you fairly conclusively that the esplanade is the location of the Boston one, probably down to 2 spots. I dunno, it's just a hobby and I've learned a ton about history and culture in these cities, and a bit about literature/art.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wrote a manifesto about how verse 3 and picture 8 are about a cask hidden in the Lincoln Bedroom. Stay tuned for more. I'm totally going to dig it up!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

xie posted:

There is an excellent, excellent theory being worked over at Q4T regarding Milwaukee, which includes climbing 92 steps up a spiral staircase and not the grand staircaise. It hasn't culminated in a dig site yet because all signs show Preiss using some sort of tree as the marker for Milwaukee. But I'd say that puzzle is currently the "hottest" and is very, very firmly on the right track. They are asking people not to repost things to the general internet (as the hunt has really picked back up this year) but it's not private if anyone has access. It's in the image/verse threads most often associated with WI.

There have been big non-SA digs in multiple states this very year. I think realistically myself and NBB are the most likely to dig in this thread, and I'm happy to do so when I have a theory worth digging. Right now I'm either wrong, the casque is gone, or it's somewhere near where I thought and I have no idea where.

I had been working with someone to discuss the logistics for a Boston dig near the compass but our lives diverged and we need to pick up the thread. It's useless though as it's fall in MA, so digging until the spring will be tough.

Yeah, the 92 steps of the grand avenue Plankinton building. Which I counted and posted about here like last year sometime, and then we couldn't figure out the next step because like you said, there's no more trees left that we're around 30 years ago. So it's nice to know that that other forum is about a year behind us I guess lol

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Can someone list the parks in Boston that are out of consideration? This thread is long

So far: no to Boston Common, no to Cambridge Common

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
edit: nvm, this discussion is retarded

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 11, 2014

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Also, here's a little content and I say this as someone who walked nearly every bit of walkable Roanoke beach from east/south part of the fort to the north/west part of the Elizabethan Gardens (which I enjoyed, btw): Cask 3 is out of play. There's nothing that looks like or matches Preiss's image. Whatever was "last touched or first seen standing" on those beaches and can be found hidden in that image was remodeled, demolished, or eroded. And if you say "well it's somewhere else" then you have become a crazy maniac. You can match every verse line to starting at Kill Devil Hills and ending up on a beach on Fort Raleigh. And I walked it all, and there's nothing there to find anymore.

I am confident it is/was under the center of the gate at the end of the Watergate Walk trail in the Elizabethan Gardens. The cask is probably not there anymore thanks to natural and storm-driven erosion on the beach and/or remodeling of the gardens. Yo, Jockstrap, is the gate gone now too or is it still there?

I can post a ~proof~ with the verse/image/clues if people want it, but I think I already posted my theory a year or so ago, so just look at my post history in the thread for the deets. Anyway, the only thing I want to add is that I'm pretty sure the Elizabethan Gardens are not within the Fort Raleigh park boundaries, so digging in the gardens might be legal as long as you have permission from the garden administration.

... have any of the treasure-hunters (here or on Q4T) actually, like, spoken to the Elizabethan Gardens staff? Or are people just assuming you can't dig there because it's near the fort, and the fort is a park, and parks are protected? Sometimes talking to people can accomplish things, as difficult and non-goony as that may seem.

I'd want to do more but I kind of live on the opposite side of the country from Roanoke, haven't been to the Outer Banks for years, and do not feel like taking a vacation there in order to root around looking for a gaudy old chunk of ceramics. Good luck to anyone who wants to try.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Multiple people have spoken to everyone there, yes. There have been multiple tours and photo taking trips. I think the consensus was similar to yours. I mentioned to someone earlier that the thought was no federally protected land, I just couldn't remember the name of the gardens.

Deadite, it's all of them except the Esplanade area. :)

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

xie posted:

Multiple people have spoken to everyone there, yes. There have been multiple tours and photo taking trips. I think the consensus was similar to yours. I mentioned to someone earlier that the thought was no federally protected land, I just couldn't remember the name of the gardens.

Yeah, this map makes it look like the gardens are outside the park boundary. I imagine the garden staff themselves do a lot of digging as part of basic garden maintenance (adding/removing plants, maintaining irrigation systems, etc). So they must have some kind of permission to dig there.

Maybe if potential diggers pitched this to the Elizabethan Gardens as an opportunity for publicity with the worst case scenario being "no cask, but no harm done", the staff would be receptive.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I am confident it is/was under the center of the gate at the end of the Watergate Walk trail in the Elizabethan Gardens. The cask is probably not there anymore thanks to natural and storm-driven erosion on the beach and/or remodeling of the gardens. Yo, Jockstrap, is the gate gone now too or is it still there?

The gate is there and looks pretty much identical to the picture.

Good things about the gate:

You can see the Wright Bros. Memorial from it. This is actually a pretty big deal, as you really can't see the memorial from a lot of places in the Fort and the Gardens.

Edit: It's far back enough from the beach that the cask could have conceivably survived.

Bad things about the gate:

Everything else.

There's nothing in the image that looks like the gate unless you count "circles" as being a match. The strange thing is, there's nothing in the image that looks much like ANYTHING at the Fort/Garden. I can't believe that the only hints in the image would be the outline of Roanoke and a couple of circles + crosses (plus maybe the outline of the Wright Memorial, writ really small), which sort of hangs us out to dry.

There's nothing in the verse that references the gate. (Nixon's WaterGate = Water Gate is Urban Smurfing it, especially because "July August" is easily found on the Virginia Dare memorial.) And how does the gate relate to "last touched/first seen standing"?

There's no way to tell where to dig - the center of the gate means you would have to dig at the middle-end of a maintained path going out to the beach that people are walking down daily. That seems...extreme. And random. And not "under that which is last touched..."

As someone who was onsite - it's a bust. The entire thing is a bust, but only in the sense that you're not going to find a crappy ceramic cask. You'll spend a while walking around a cool historic site and garden and trying to follow a treasure map. It's still fun, I'm glad I did it, but go to the site to post your experience and realize that Preiss is a gigantic rear end in a top hat who made a bad game that's still fun to play. To a point.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 11, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I think none of this stuff getting found after so long means that it was a really lovely puzzle and not a great one.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 23, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's really funny that my reality check is being misconstrued as anger.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, I think none of this stuff getting found after so long means that it was a really lovely puzzle and not a great one.

As was pointed out in the thread long ago, the problem is that they're incredibly clever and meaningful only if you already know the solution. They were not done so as to lead someone to the answer. Preis obviously thought they would, but he clearly didn't do any play testing before releasing it to see how it would work.

From a cold start with no idea as to what the locations or references may be from an infinite number of possibilities, there's no way to winnow through it all to find the meaningful bits. It's largely a matter of chance rather than logical deduction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

As was pointed out in the thread long ago, the problem is that they're incredibly clever and meaningful only if you already know the solution. They were not done so as to lead someone to the answer.

If you look through the solved ones, they still suck as riddles.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

50% of the recovered casks had the (now dead) author say "Right there. Dig there. No, right there." for their solve.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's really funny that my reality check is being misconstrued as anger.

To be fair, it does come across pretty mad and/or bitter, kind of like the puzzle broke you to some small degree.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2016

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

If it helps any, I talked to NBB and the dude sounds legit. I think what he's worried about is that he'll reveal what he's been working on and some goon (seriously, let's not put it past ourselves that the old goon stereotype doesn't still exist) will go out and do something stupid with it. Even a single detail could reveal the solution and give it up to the internet at large.

I don't think anyone that actually is interested in this would want to jeopardize an actual recovery (the first in years) because of some foolhardy move due to impatient bitching on GBS.

That being said, I'm with most of you that we should just go out and dig it up. NBB agrees, really. Neither one of us live super close to the location he thinks its at, so we are now trying to arrange a meetup at the location. Xie wants in on this too (look how much he's sunk into this), but lives on the other side of the country so NBB is working with him on trying to arrange a time and such. I suggested doing a Skype call, so even if he couldn't fly out, he could still be "with" us while we recovered the cask.

The wheels are in motion. The more I've talked to NBB the less I believe he's full of poo poo. Was he premature to come in the thread and say he had a possible solution and not offer anything up? Maybe. But it's given us something concrete to focus on, to talk about, and I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExtraNoise posted:

The wheels are in motion. The more I've talked to NBB the less I believe he's full of poo poo. Was he premature to come in the thread and say he had a possible solution and not offer anything up? Maybe. But it's given us something concrete to focus on, to talk about, and I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

idk, the GBS weirdos who come in here mad about nobody digging are the odd ones imo. We've had like 5 pages of discussion since NBB revived the thread with a couple of interesting theories. Chances are slim that any of these are going to be recoverable anymore, so talking about theories is probably as far as any of it is going to get from here on out. I drove past the Esplanade in Boston today and it's completely dug the gently caress up for renovations. If there was a casque anywhere near the hatchshell it's in a million pieces now. That's probably all of these. They're destroyed or under pavement. If you don't like the theories and speculation, this is probably a good thread to avoid.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

(1) Dudes OCDing for years over pieces of plaster buried in the ground who travel thousands of miles so they can take pictures of flagpoles and put them up on the walls of their basements like serial-killer stalkers and then post publicly about how they can't talk about it and take it to PM

(2) Dudes point out that (1) are hella retarded

Conclusion: Group 2 are the "GBS weirdos." Got it.

This really gets you steamed, doesn't it?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
did he dig the loving hole yet or what

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crewmine posted:

did he dig the loving hole yet or what

patience, grasshopper. first he has to confer with his small goon inner circle and then plan to dig and then fret about digging and then set up a skype call because he owes it to some goon to do that and then maybe he can start digging. maybe.

until then be happy we're getting updates at all!!!!!111

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, I'll take NBB at his word. Let's talk. When do you expect to have the treasure dug up by?

Can you at least tell us the image/verse you're working with? (if it's as hard as you say and took as long as you claim then surely there's no harm in giving the image/verse combo because you ARE going to do this in the near-term, right?)

Will you be documenting your dig, and will you please print out and place the following quote in the hole if you don't find anything?

ExtraNoise posted:

I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

This poo poo should be Mod Challenged.

I said this pages back. NBB immediately cried to the mods not to challenge him because of reasons.

I still think he should get this challenge:

1 - go to the site, dig, take pics, post pics and manifesto.

or

2 - just post the manifesto.

or

3 - Permaban. Not just a ban. His name is never been banned so a permaban makes sense.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Look, you and I have both been on SA for a while. This has all played out a thousand times on this forum. Do you remember all the stupid safe threads and how ridiculous they got? Remember how the mods eventually had to step in on those because nothing ever happened? This is just another one of those safe threads.

OP: omigod I found this safe, but it's locked and I don't know the combination. What should I do?
SA: Open it!
OP: I don't know how to open it. What should I do?
SA: We'll help!
OP: I don't know...it sounds like a lot of work and I might get in trouble.
SA: Who cares, open it!
OP: I don't know how.
SA: We do; you need these tools!
OP: I don't have those tools.
SA: We do; we'll meet up and help you!
OP: Okay, let's do this.

[months pass because so many people are now involved that no possible schedule can accommodate everyone]

[nothing ever comes of it all]

We're now at the "arranging everyone schedules" part of how this will all play out. Nothing will ever happen because "Geez, we just couldn't get everyone together who wanted to be in on this" and it will be quietly dropped.

This poo poo should be Mod Challenged.

You didn't like his writeup about the Charleston one? Or xie's talk about the one in the trainyard in NJ? I thought they were both entertaining whether they're right or wrong or we never find out. I think there's a group of people here who like looking at these as interesting but really pretty flawed puzzles, and don't take it much further than that.

Maybe you should stay out of threads like these if they cause you so much distress. Otherwise it just comes off as whining. Just my two cents. There's plenty of other threads, this one seems to make you upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

BigFactory posted:

idk, the GBS weirdos who come in here mad about nobody digging are the odd ones imo.

Never been banned said he posted in this thread specifically because he wanted goons to pressure him into action. Yelling at him for not digging is exactly what he asked for.