Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jamus posted:

I had a quick google and couldn't find an answer to this, but would having an actually large amount of files in there (the NTFS max files per folder is 4294967295) slow down your desktop? I imagine it'd nuke the unused icons cleanup wizard at least.

It's just a pointer to a pointer to a pointer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someone recently posted that it was actually a bug in the Win95 days, but that seems like the kind of thing that is easy to claim is true because who's checking that? My money says who cares.

On very low RAM systems that were also running a high resolution (8 MB or so at 1280x1024 say) yes having the screen filled would cause some minor problems.

But when you're doing that, the computer's already running really slow from being just a step over minimum RAM, so, anything can tip the scales there really.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

It's just a pointer to a pointer to a pointer.

Well, yeah, I was more asking if there are any operations any operating system regularly runs on files in the desktop that are O(n) or worse and would unexpectedly make the computer run slower in my stupid, contrived example. I imagine stuff sorting 4 billion files (if you've got automatically sort on) would actually slow down your computer noticeably over having the same amount of files tucked away in a folder you never access.

Come to think of it, based on the state of some of my friend's desktops the 4 billion files example isn't really that contrived.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Subject: URGENT print on color copier

Hi Bob – I’ve attached a worksheet from the “H” drive – can you have it printed on the color copier & then put in my mail folder?
There are 2 sheets that need to be printed.
If you would let me know once the sheets have been printed as I need to go in & remove the color before I proceed with my project here in xxxxxxx. Thx.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mattress Man posted:

poo poo pissing me off: my new assistant asked me if having lots of files on the desktop slows the computer down. This is why you don't let management hire a guy who worked at a pizza place because "he has the best people skills".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/my-supervisors-name-go-f-4606756

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bob Morales posted:

Hi Bob – I’ve attached a worksheet from the “H” drive – can you have it printed on the color copier & then put in my mail folder?
If you would let me know once the sheets have been printed as I need to go in & remove the color before I proceed with my project here in xxxxxxx. Thx.

I... what? :stare:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah printer bitch. Can you let him know?

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!
I think this belongs here (linked for size):

http://i.imgur.com/mTgohbn.png

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont understand, does he wanted it printed then emailed to him ??

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sylink posted:

He apparently wants it printed, in color, emailed to him, notified of the email, and then he's going to strip the color from it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sylink posted:

For real I've read it 3 or 4 times and still can't parse what's being asked for.

poo poo pissing me off, apparently we're going to have a six sigma review of our desks. Mind's already barren so I'm going to demand some shadow foam in my desk drawers to make it easier to locate pens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MF_James posted:

He apparently wants it printed, in color, emailed to him, notified of the email, and then he's going to strip the color from it.

Right, because the person doesn't understand that once you email a file to someone, it doesn't really matter what they do to it, your copy isn't going to change.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

He is going to make the document black + white to continue working on it but wants a color copy on hand.

Basically he wants you to print a thing for him, possibly because he does not know how.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

jammyozzy posted:

For real I've read it 3 or 4 times and still can't parse what's being asked for.

poo poo pissing me off, apparently we're going to have a six sigma review of our desks. Mind's already barren so I'm going to demand some shadow foam in my desk drawers to make it easier to locate pens.

As someone who paid out of her own pocket for a drat six sigma belt, this pisses me off substantially. And I would buy beer to see the paperwork that shows a ROI on this project.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What the hell even is a Six Sigma desk review?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell even is a Six Sigma desk review?

A way for people to pretend they understand Six Sigma?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I assume we're doing this: http://www.goleansixsigma.com/how-to-easily-apply-5s-to-your-work-station/

I dunno about you but I tend to keep my desk tidy and organised anyway and I don't need some sigma belt to figure it out. The very nature of our work precludes standardising to the degree required so I dunno what the gently caress we're gonna do once we pass step 3.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I'll just do a review of you not touching my stuff. No really, I don't want my notepad on that side of my desk.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

<ns:ProductionYear>2014Z<ns:ProductionYear>

Note from person: ProductionYear has a Z on it and this is not mentioned in the specs document.

Production year is defined by a 3rd party and is an XML Date Data type. Why do I need to specify what Z is and why it is there for you?

Griffon
May 14, 2003

How do I tell a coworker who slapped Senior at the from of his email signature to climb down out of my rear end?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Griffon posted:

How do I tell a coworker who slapped Senior at the from of his email signature to climb down out of my rear end?

So.. your coworker claimed to be a senoir in his email signature?

..or am I reading this wrong?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Lean Six Sigma Stations posted:

5S is a fundamental pillar of a Lean deployment. The 5S exercise captures core principles of the Lean philosophy that facilitate the extension and development of a lasting lean implementation. Think of it as the foundation upon which a house is built upon. While some think of it as a spring cleaning, and position it as such, it is much more. Rather than think of it as a onetime event or something that is done once a year, think of it as the beginning of a culture and process that enables the pursuit and elimination of waste from your organization. - See more at:

What a load of horseshit; I have two asymmetrical monitors and have a variety of papers, cables, and piles of techno crap on desk at any one time. :colbert:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

I assume we're doing this: http://www.goleansixsigma.com/how-to-easily-apply-5s-to-your-work-station/

I dunno about you but I tend to keep my desk tidy and organised anyway and I don't need some sigma belt to figure it out. The very nature of our work precludes standardising to the degree required so I dunno what the gently caress we're gonna do once we pass step 3.

Isn't this basically punishing someone for not being a computer? If someone told me I needed to clean my desk off, I would wonder why they were focusing on that instead of say, how well I could troubleshoot million dollar communication systems.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

jammyozzy posted:

poo poo pissing me off, apparently we're going to have a six sigma review of our desks.

What an inspiring way to promote employee autonomy and positive relationships with management :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HFX posted:

Production year is defined by a 3rd party and is an XML Date Data type. Why do I need to specify what Z is and why it is there for you?
Because that's the ISO standard for UTC time? No, it doesn't make sense for a year.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I always thought Six Sigma was a thing they made up for 30 Rock :psyduck:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I always thought Six Sigma was a thing they made up for 30 Rock :psyduck:

IIRC it's a GE thing originally, making it a perfect fit for 30 Rock. Most other places it's a square peg for a round hole.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Crowley posted:

So.. your coworker claimed to be a senoir in his email signature?

..or am I reading this wrong?

You see, we're all system analysts and he's a SENIOR system analyst.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Griffon posted:

You see, we're all system analysts and he's a SENIOR system analyst.

Obviously you need to update your signature to double senior systems analyst.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guppy posted:

IIRC it's a GE thing originally, making it a perfect fit for 30 Rock. Most other places it's a square peg for a round hole.

Motorola, actually. And it was started as a way to perfect manufacturing processes so defects were "six sigma" or more or less 1 for every million.

Jack Welch (GE) is the one responsible for it mutating to the unholy abomination it is today. It is such an unwieldily and unmanageable process philosophy, I can't believe anyone is using and keeping a straight face.

SOURCE: used to work for Motorola.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Because that's the ISO standard for UTC time? No, it doesn't make sense for a year.

Actually, thanks. I just went through and checked all our dates which don't include times making a note to reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#gYear since that is the primitive type for which the element is defined. I did find a way to suppress it in the future if we want.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

flosofl posted:

Motorola, actually. And it was started as a way to perfect manufacturing processes so defects were "six sigma" or more or less 1 for every million.

Jack Welch (GE) is the one responsible for it mutating to the unholy abomination it is today. It is such an unwieldily and unmanageable process philosophy, I can't believe anyone is using and keeping a straight face.

SOURCE: used to work for Motorola.

I always assumed that Six Sigma was that people were beginning to understand ISO9000 and the overpriced consultants needed new BMWs.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Jamus posted:

I had a quick google and couldn't find an answer to this, but would having an actually large amount of files in there (the NTFS max files per folder is 4294967295) slow down your desktop? I imagine it'd nuke the unused icons cleanup wizard at least.

Well, if a lot of the stuff on the desktop linked to a network location I could see it slowing it down. Heck, because I have some network locations on my desktop, that desktop toolbar is always slow to open the first time of the day (at least I think that's why it takes 30 seconds or so to show me the contents)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If they really wanted to improve our productivity they'd invest in a document management system instead of making us organise our desks. Our project 'indexes' are Excel sheets that rely on people not loving up our janky numbering system and actually saving stuff in the correct directories. So much time lost because people have named poo poo wrong, saved it in the wrong place, or some combo of both. I've done it too, it only takes one fat-fingered document number to make it a PITA to find in a directory with 100's of files.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Someone just forwarded me a huge chain of things that is absolutely not my problem, but that I absolutely know how to deal with. Unfortunately it was forwarded without any comment, so I forwarded it back :confused:

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Someone just forwarded me a huge chain of things that is absolutely not my problem, but that I absolutely know how to deal with. Unfortunately it was forwarded without any comment, so I forwarded it back :confused:
A perfect response if your reforward was also blank.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stuxracer posted:

A perfect response if your reforward was also blank.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:golfclap:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Isn't this basically punishing someone for not being a computer? If someone told me I needed to clean my desk off, I would wonder why they were focusing on that instead of say, how well I could troubleshoot million dollar communication systems.

I had this today. Office manager trying to get me to use a locker to store the tech books I have under my desk because they "look untidy".

My offer to replace the entire desk with a rock garden and decorative water fountain was not entirely successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Take me off the mailing list please!!