Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
This is supposed to be a 'resort prison' though right? Low-sec prisons don't keep guards with live ammo just standing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

This is supposed to be a 'resort prison' though right? Low-sec prisons don't keep guards with live ammo just standing around.

Neither do high sec prisons, at least in areas that prisoners have access to. The prisoner side of the meeting room has a guard alone with 3 unrestrained prisoners--if he had a gun on his hip there would be hostage/breakout situations on a daily basis.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Neither do high sec prisons, at least in areas that prisoners have access to. The prisoner side of the meeting room has a guard alone with 3 unrestrained prisoners--if he had a gun on his hip there would be hostage/breakout situations on a daily basis.

On the one hand, nobody in the room is who they appear to be so none of the normal rules or expectations apply.

On the other hand, these being Jason Shiga characters, the OSS had to set things up to look exactly like it would have normally to avoid tipping off Jimmy.

On the gripping hand, even if there was a legit reason to put in what appeared to be regular guns there's no reason they had to put live ammunition in, given that they were dealing with a demon. And that applies to both sides of the glass.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they wanted them to look normal, though, no reason for them to have real guns.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The author posted this in the comments section:

Jason Shiga posted:

Just to complicate things, i want to add that Hunter might still know some things that Jimmy and the reader don't (for example what happens when a demon is killed nearest to another demon).

Which doesn't explain why they had guns, because Hunter apparently didn't suspect another demon, but it's something.

The question I keep wondering is "why the OSS?" In real life, they only existed during World War II.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Same reason for every urban fantasy story -- take any organization formed during WW2, say that they had a secret objective to investigate "paranormal / supernatural" leads for possible weapons / allies. Then say they were publicly mothballed after the war but secretly kept on because some of those leads turned out to be true.

I really like Demon! Shiga has a really clever concept executed well. I'd imagine demons do 'die' if the body they're in dies a natural death (though what counts as a natural death is a good question) since Jimmy wasn't bugged by a stranger claiming to be his great-grandfather when he was younger. If demonism is hereditary, it'd have to be something like a recessive gene, otherwise tons of people would be demons as well.

Also of interest is that if Jimmy ever needed to hide from a demon he'd have to find a host body that looked similar to him, since all demons can see the original "spirit". Lots of weird stuff, including the question of what the OSS wants Jimmy for!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

I really like Demon! Shiga has a really clever concept executed well. I'd imagine demons do 'die' if the body they're in dies a natural death (though what counts as a natural death is a good question) since Jimmy wasn't bugged by a stranger claiming to be his great-grandfather when he was younger. If demonism is hereditary, it'd have to be something like a recessive gene, otherwise tons of people would be demons as well.

Well, it seems like a power that'd be selected against, since it only offers benefits if your original body is dead.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that would explain why it's so rare and utterly unknown though

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Same reason for every urban fantasy story -- take any organization formed during WW2, say that they had a secret objective to investigate "paranormal / supernatural" leads for possible weapons / allies. Then say they were publicly mothballed after the war but secretly kept on because some of those leads turned out to be true.

There are two reasons this can't be the case, though: no one reacts to Hunter like he's just flashed a badge for something that hasn't existed for 70 years, but everyone reacts as if the supernatural is still impossible. This means that the OSS still exists and has a public face unrelated to demons, suggesting that something historical is hugely different.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Well, it seems like a power that'd be selected against, since it only offers benefits if your original body is dead.

If you include the wider social parameters it might be more beneficial than you think. Imagine having a dead family member being able to come back and tell you what killed him, why, and how to avoid that in the future.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Carrasco posted:

There are two reasons this can't be the case, though: no one reacts to Hunter like he's just flashed a badge for something that hasn't existed for 70 years, but everyone reacts as if the supernatural is still impossible. This means that the OSS still exists and has a public face unrelated to demons, suggesting that something historical is hugely different.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to imagine justifications for the specifics of Shiga's alternate histories.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Benagain posted:

If you include the wider social parameters it might be more beneficial than you think. Imagine having a dead family member being able to come back and tell you what killed him, why, and how to avoid that in the future.

That family member would also tell you about how suicide can turn you into a multibillionaire.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Fair enough.

Also, Apothecia's back to updating. They'll probably find her pretty quickly once they figure out it's her and get the jurisdictional issues sorted, but given that it's marked as a biohazard area maybe she'll be dead by then anyway.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

That family member would also tell you about how suicide can turn you into a multibillionaire.

What if it's metaphysically hereditary? Like if you get someone pregnant while a demon that kid has a chance to be a demon regardless of what body you're possessing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gross.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Personally I like the idea that Hunter is himself a demon. In which case, he actually looks differently to Jimmy than everyone else. To everyone else, he is whatever authority figure he needs to commandeer to do his job.

If Hunter knows the multiple demons in one body problem, then that could explain why he always tried to make sure that he *himself* was closest to Jimmy when they were fighting each other.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 10, 2014

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Fangz posted:

Personally I like the idea that Hunter is himself a demon. In which case, he actually looks differently to Jimmy than everyone else. To everyone else, he is whatever authority figure he needs to commandeer to do his job.

If Hunter knows the multiple demons in one body problem, then that could explain why he always tried to make sure that he *himself* was closest to Jimmy when they were fighting each other.

That doesn't work though, because Hunter can't tell who Jimmy is in this scene.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Poppy O'Possum has returned from hiatus with a cover for the new chapter.
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-cover-page/

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Since this sits between Chapters 2 and 3, I hope we get to see more of Boris in a social context. I was really happy to see him helping out at the beginning of Chapter 3, because he's pretty rad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk, he seems pretty boaring to me. i hope he doesn't try to hog the spotlight this chapter :mad:

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Zero_Tactility posted:

Since this sits between Chapters 2 and 3, I hope we get to see more of Boris in a social context. I was really happy to see him helping out at the beginning of Chapter 3, because he's pretty rad.

As long as there is a sufficient amount of snapping going on it's all good for me.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Kramjacks posted:

Poppy O'Possum has returned from hiatus with a cover for the new chapter.
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-cover-page/

This is extremely my kind of jam.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Good title, good title.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anybody else reading Bogleech's Awful Hospital? It uh, sure is a Bogleech thing :stare:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Welp, everyone who was worried John Allison was going to quit Bad Machinery was right.

Run, children! THE GINGER DEMON HUNGERS

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

Is anybody else reading Bogleech's Awful Hospital? It uh, sure is a Bogleech thing :stare:
It's like Bogleech looked at Problem Sleuth and said "You know what this needs? BURGRR. 10000 meat, JOY for consumption!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I'm not complaining, the unsettlingly off weirdness is a good setting for reader-inputted commands :v:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
And like anything accepting input from the collective internet, eventually the suggestions are somehow worse than the actual things a person in a horrifying and grody monster hospital might have to do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

I am now. What the hell :captainpop:

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of the Bogleech experience before. What else has it done?

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Anyone else get a virus warning from the Bogleech comics page? Something about a plugin. Maybe it's just a false flag.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

eminkey2003 posted:

Anyone else get a virus warning from the Bogleech comics page? Something about a plugin. Maybe it's just a false flag.

That stuff is usually from an Ad middleman screwing up. I'd give it a week.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of the Bogleech experience before. What else has it done?

Terrible comics, mildly interesting articles about creepy-crawlies, and pokemon fanstuff.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Burgrr, a creepypasta that is a bit too long. It is creepy, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Demon shot his arm off.

What if his arm now possesses other arms.

What then?!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wittgen posted:

Burgrr, a creepypasta that is a bit too long. It is creepy, though.
Also interesting in that it's most effective if you know nothing else about his works, because the more you know, the more you start to recognize things. Still, though, that last line is a loving mastercraft.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

I am now. What the hell :captainpop:

He's a guy who loves monsters and horror and toys and schlocky ephemera and "ugly" animals and Halloween and especially monsters, he's basically that kid who spent all of homeroom doodling monsters in adult form, and now he's like the #1 resource for Monster Facts and Trivia on the Internet. I like him well enough even though I don't agree with everything he says, and he mainly works in listicle format. Considering the subject matter, the format seems appropriate.

Tollymain's assessment of Awful Hospital is spot-on though.

edit: Oh yeah he loves creepypasta too.

Bogleech posted:

DAY OF ALL THE BLOOD
THIS IS THE STORY OF A DAY WHERE THERE WAS ALL THIS BLOOD. A MAN
WAS WALKING AROUND AND BLOOD STARTED COMING OUT OF HIM
EVERYWHERE. HE TRIED TO GO SWIMMING AND ALL OF THE SHARKS
WENT CRAZY. HE GOT CHASED BY ALL THE VAMPIRES. WHEN HE WENT
TO THE STORE PEOPLE WERE SLIPPING IN ALL THE BLOOD AND THEY
LOOKED AT IT AND THREW UP. ONE TIME THE BLOOD GOT A KID AND A
DOG. AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERYONE DECIDED THEY WOULD SEND
HIM TO SPACE FOREVER.....THE SCARYEST PART IS THAT THE MAN WAS
YOU!!! (OR HE WAS A LADY IF YOU ARE A LADY) AND YOU FORGOT THAT
THIS HAPPENED.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 12, 2014

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Gotta say I'm liking the new Now In Colour Octopus Pie.

I don't know too much about colour theory beyond opposite colours on the wheel contrasting well (such as the somewhat cliched orange and teal used to nice effect above) but I like the ... subdued vibrancy(?) it has going in the last couple of strips.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I prefer the black and white still, because Meredith had been doing it for years and the style of the comic had developed with black and white and tones in mind., but I'm sure in a couple of story arcs meredith and her colourist will work out the kinks in doing it in colour. I think it already looks better than the first colour page, which looks a lot less coherent in terms of having a colour palette or a specific atmosphere in mind.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Jimmy pulled some ridiculous poo poo this strip, good thing she was asleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Glam Rock Gorilla is an urban fantasy/sci-fi comic revolving around the rise of the titular character in the music industry. Thaddeus Crunch, an unemployed slacker gorilla who hasn't had a proper job in years, forms a band with Alexus (his ""ex-military"" roommate), Marcy (a self described "hustler" with a snake motif) and Amadeus (his robot next door neighbor who plays the keyboard) to help the latter in his dissertation on trying to explain the concept of a "soul" to a group of his robot peers. They get picked up by a record label and things go south pretty quickly.

The world building in GRG is engaging and charmingly weird; major characters outside the main four include mythological figures, pop culture icons, musicians and more. Yet in a world comprised of so many elements and "spot the reference/person" moments, it still feels like a cohesive, natural narrative instead of a Frankenstein'd cut and paste world. Rather than simply borrowing elements from reality and fiction to weave a purposefully strange world, the elements are strung together to create intrigue. Similar enough to our own to understand without lengthy explanations, but just new enough to draw you in.

Characters have unique voices, personalities and its made explicitly clear that each one of them wants something different out of their new found fame and fortune. The writing pops, the dialog feels natural (or as natural as it can sound when its coming from a robot) and when it's funny, its really funny. Every artist involved brings their A game to the table and while it takes the artist for chapter 2 a little time to find their footing, the art in the pages gets super tight and great super fast. To reflect such a seedy, grungy world the art has a "rough" feel to it: not in an unprofessional sense but in an intentional way that jives really well with the tone and aesthetic of the comic.

(also the art for the first chapter was done by Tom from K6BD!)

Read Glam Rock Gorilla!

• Locked thread