Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
New details about Telltale's upcoming Game of Thrones game.

It will be set between Season 3 and the beginning of Season 5 in the show and features a POV format similar to the books where you play as five members and retinue of House Forrester in the North.

The first episode is going to come out before the end of the year. I'm considering making a thread in Games for it cause I love Telltale games. Let's hope it's more like Season 1 of The Walking Dead and less like Season 2 of The Walking Dead.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

In It For The Tank posted:

New details about Telltale's upcoming Game of Thrones game.

It will be set between Season 3 and the beginning of Season 5 in the show and features a POV format similar to the books where you play as five members and retinue of House Forrester in the North.

The first episode is going to come out before the end of the year. I'm considering making a thread in Games for it cause I love Telltale games. Let's hope it's more like Season 1 of The Walking Dead and less like Season 2 of The Walking Dead.

This looks pretty awesome, and it seems there'll be six episodes. I loved season 1 of walking dead, what's wrong with 2?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Walking Dead season 1 was very good but the Wolf among us and Walking dead season 2 were both a bit problematic so I'm just cautiously optimistic for this.

I wonder to what extent they are basing it on the show over the books, not that it should make a major difference (they better call her Asha :argh:)

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Tell tales destroyed TWD at it's own game, wonder how they will do with some awesome material for once.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

This looks pretty awesome, and it seems there'll be six episodes. I loved season 1 of walking dead, what's wrong with 2?

Season 2 suffered from the fact that Clementine is the playable character, because in order to give the player agency it meant that hardened adult survivors two years into the apocalypse deferred all of the work and difficult decisions to an eleven year old girl. As a result, nearly every character introduced was some combination of unlikable, unreliable, and unbelievable. In addition, the season lacked any kind of overarching goal like in Season 1, so each episode just kind of had you meandering from one plot development to another. The transparency of deterministic choices also became blatantly obvious: if a character could die in an early episode, it meant that they couldn't play any further role in the story if you saved them and inevitably die later. If you saved a character in, say, Episode 2, that character would be completely regulated to the background with maybe one or two lines an episode until they are unceremoniously killed in Episode 4.

It wasn't terrible by any means, it just was not nearly as good as Season 1. I hope the multiple PCs in Game of Thrones will prevent some of the issues outlined above.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Since we will be seeing locations all over the world, including King's Landing, I wonder if any TV characters appear? If they do I hope they hire the actors to do the VA.

Also dude I think it might be best to make that thread you was talking about in Games, since we will be getting more and more info until the release and won't have any proper thread for discussion.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kainser posted:

Walking Dead season 1 was very good but the Wolf among us and Walking dead season 2 were both a bit problematic so I'm just cautiously optimistic for this.

Wolf Among Us is good, bro.

Also Kenny4ever :love:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BillBear posted:

Since we will be seeing locations all over the world, including King's Landing, I wonder if any TV characters appear? If they do I hope they hire the actors to do the VA.

Also dude I think it might be best to make that thread you was talking about in Games, since we will be getting more and more info until the release and won't have any proper thread for discussion.

The console/PC GoT game that Cyanide Studios released the other year only got James Cosmo and Conleth Hill to reprise their despite most of the KL/Wall regulars appearing in some capacity.

Who knows what they'll do though, as from what I've heard, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Nikoaj Coster-Waldau, and Emilia Clarke are some of the, if not the highest paid actors on TV right now. So I could tottaly see Telltale just hiring a professional voice actor like Laura Bailey and having her do her best Cersei impression rather than trying to tackle the pay issue.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

In It For The Tank posted:

Season 2 suffered from the fact that Clementine is the playable character, because in order to give the player agency it meant that hardened adult survivors two years into the apocalypse deferred all of the work and difficult decisions to an eleven year old girl. As a result, nearly every character introduced was some combination of unlikable, unreliable, and unbelievable. In addition, the season lacked any kind of overarching goal like in Season 1, so each episode just kind of had you meandering from one plot development to another. The transparency of deterministic choices also became blatantly obvious: if a character could die in an early episode, it meant that they couldn't play any further role in the story if you saved them and inevitably die later. If you saved a character in, say, Episode 2, that character would be completely regulated to the background with maybe one or two lines an episode until they are unceremoniously killed in Episode 4.

It wasn't terrible by any means, it just was not nearly as good as Season 1. I hope the multiple PCs in Game of Thrones will prevent some of the issues outlined above.

I see. That's disappointing, season 1 was fantastic and I picked up season 2 a while ago but haven't installed it. Well thanks for the excellent write up. :)

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

nine-gear crow posted:

The console/PC GoT game that Cyanide Studios released the other year only got James Cosmo and Conleth Hill to reprise their despite most of the KL/Wall regulars appearing in some capacity.

Aside from those two though the voice acting in that game was atrocious, which pretty much made it unplayable for me (as well as the visuals and game-play) Which is a shame because it supposed to have a pretty good story. I've never played a telltale game before but I have heard good things about them so fingers crossed.

On a similar gaming note, anyone who has Mount and Blade Warband might want to check out the Clash of Kings mod. I've been watching this guy play it and they've done a pretty amazing job.

Or for a completely different type of game play experience the Crusader Kings II mod is equally as amazing for the amount of detail they've put into it.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 11, 2014

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The CKII mod makes me cry myself to sleep every night knowing Paradox seriously had a license to make ASOIAF games but lost it before the show took off.

Otherwise, the CKII mod is brilliant.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

nine-gear crow posted:

Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Nikoaj Coster-Waldau, and Emilia Clarke are some of the, if not the highest paid actors on TV right now.

The top Big Bang actors get almost ten times more per episode (1M/episode). They also have over twice as many episodes per season as GoT.

The real world is crueler than Westeros.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So guys...is Aenys pronounced like "anus" or what?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I'd guess its "Ay-nis" or "Ay-nees" but you can pronounce it "Ay-nus" if you want, not like anyones going to give you a B- in Westerosi pronunciation or anything.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 12, 2014

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Beeez posted:

I've been pronoucing it in my head as En-ness.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The letter A followed by 'knees', simple as that.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Beeez posted:

I pronounce it as "anus" when it's associated with a Frey.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

geeves posted:

I pronounce it as "anus" when it's associated with a Frey.

yup.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Dragonstoned posted:

I'd guess its "Ay-nis" or "Ay-nees" but you can pronounce it "Ay-nus" if you want, not like anyones going to give you a B- in Westerosi pronunciation or anything.

I'm not asking because of how I want to pronounce it, I'm just curious what GRRM had in mind because it looks like it might be pronounced Anus to me.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I go with Ay-nees like Dragonstoned.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Beeez posted:

I'm not asking because of how I want to pronounce it, I'm just curious what GRRM had in mind because it looks like it might be pronounced Anus to me.

Roy Dotrice pronounces it "Anus" on the audiobooks. But he also says "Bry-EEN" for Brienne.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Roy Dotrice pronounces it "Anus" on the audiobooks. But he also says "Bry-EEN" for Brienne.

Or if you're listening to AFFC or ADWD he may pronounce it entirely differently!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arys is pronounces 'Aries' so draw your own conclusion about Aenys.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!

Beeez posted:

I've been saying "Eee-nis" in my head. Mostly after thinking, "He couldn't possibly have meant 'anus.'"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Beeez posted:

An awkward situation arose when a delegation from Essos was supposed to have an audience with the king, but he was indisposed. Relations with Essos have remained strained ever since they asked the queen: "What's wrong with your Aenys?"

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This has been the best tangent.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The idea of a telltale aSoIaF game has had me in a froth for nearly 18 hours now. I cannot wait, has there been word of a release date?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Sometime before the end of the year. So, soon! I can't wait either.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TraderStav posted:

The idea of a telltale aSoIaF game has had me in a froth for nearly 18 hours now. I cannot wait, has there been word of a release date?

They're demoing it at the Playstation Experience thing in early December, so I'd bet on either that week or the next.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Feral posted:

I've been saying "Eee-nis" in my head. Mostly after thinking, "He couldn't possibly have meant 'anus.'"

Being a letter away from saying "peee-nis" does sound more like GRRM.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Ballz posted:

Being a letter away from saying "peee-nis" does sound more like GRRM.

It's pronounced "man-hood" FYI.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I believe "fat pink mast" is the correct pronunciation in the ASoIaF series.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Surprised I've never seen it mentioned in any theories or anything, but Jon has a dream in ACOK that strongly suggests that yes, Bran actually can change the past. He sees a talking Weirwood with Bran's face that references things that don't happen until ADWD and then he gets his warg powers activated.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Surprised I've never seen it mentioned in any theories or anything, but Jon has a dream in ACOK that strongly suggests that yes, Bran actually can change the past. He sees a talking Weirwood with Bran's face that references things that don't happen until ADWD and then he gets his warg powers activated.

I have brought it up before and yes, it is strongly indicative that Bran will have the ability to intervene in the past as his powers continue to grow. However, I don't think it is changing the past so much as fulfilling the predestination paradox. I think ASOIAF follows a "whatever happened, happened" mode of time travel, so everything future Bran does has already happened, and present Bran will merely complete the loop. Now, maybe Bran will intervene more in the future to cause critical events to happen where they otherwise would not, like giving Jon his warg powers, but I guess we'll have to wait for that stuff.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I kinda have a feeling that the really bad weather that slows Robb + Co down on their way to the crossing has something to do with Bran learning a lesson about how he can't really change the major events.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
the last thing asoiaf needs is time travel paradoxes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bran time travels to past, kills Jaime before he can push him off the tower.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TommyGun85 posted:

This. They are like prophecies, only somehow even worse.

e: God, I'm so glad that the show excises most of this poo poo out. The proper response to "Jon, you are the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna" is "good, now how is that relevant now?"

meristem fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 14, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TommyGun85 posted:

You'll eat those words when in one chapter/episode Bran gets locked up and thinks "Wait, in the future I can just travel back in time and deposit a key in this cell" and then he finds the key and frees himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

You'll eat those words when in one chapter/episode Bran gets locked up and thinks "Wait, in the future I can just travel back in time and deposit a key in this cell" and then he finds the key and frees himself.

"Trash can, Hodor. Remember a trash can."
"Hodor?"
*a trash can falls out of the heart tree and lands on Gin Alley Karl's head*
"WYLD STALLYNS!" *air-guitar*

• Locked thread