Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

What's going on in New Mexico and Nevada with "Other"? Do they call it cornswaller or something?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Sodapop? Pepsi?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
well here in its called where i grew up we called it thats so weird we call it imagine going into a store and asking for a

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I could really go for a fizzy-pop now.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

I'd like a large glass of other please!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Davfff posted:

well here in its called where i grew up we called it thats so weird we call it imagine going into a store and asking for a

You're having a stroke seek help

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

What's that little bastion of sanity in the middle there? Chicago?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Root beer and birch beer are great, but I can't stomach Dr. Pepper. It's like drinking cough medicine...

I grew up in the blue section, and I've never not called it "soda" :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The full name is soda pop, in which soda is the adjective and pop is the noun. Thus, "pop" is the accurate and correct term.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

How loving bad at geography are you?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Suspicious Cook posted:

The full name is soda pop, in which soda is the adjective and pop is the noun. Thus, "pop" is the accurate and correct term.

But "pop" comes from "pop bottle", so it's also an adjective. What now?

:colbert:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Edit: apparently I don't know what Wisconsin looks like

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

titties posted:

You're having a stroke seek help

o lord help me

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wade Wilson posted:

Anybody that would drink just any old beer that happens to be around deserves whatever they get.

Drunk?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

"Pop" is used a lot in the northern midwest and northeast (Michigan to New York, roughly). Soft drinks were originally sold in bottles with cork stoppers and a metal bail. Remove the cork produced a pop, and they were known as pop bottles. Then metal capping was invented, but the name stuck.

Edit: Now with pictures!

Far left is the original pop bottle.

I wish they'd re-release em in the old style bottles with the corks. That looks awesome.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm from Michigan, but spent some time in the Norcal region. Memorize this map. Choosing the wrong word for your carbonated beverage is grounds for fights to the death most places.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Choco1980 posted:

I'm from Michigan, but spent some time in the Norcal region. Memorize this map. Choosing the wrong word for your carbonated beverage is grounds for fights to the death most places.

No it's not. In real life, no one gives a poo poo.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uShCUp2QYGs&t=177s

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Modern Day Hercules posted:

How loving bad at geography are you?

I'm sorry I'm not so intimately familiar with your giant rear end country that I can recognize featureless areas in the middle of a hugely cluttered map.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kajeesus posted:

I'm sorry I'm not so intimately familiar with your giant rear end country that I can recognize featureless areas in the middle of a hugely cluttered map.

If you mean the yellow splotch between the blue and red zones, that's the St. Louis area. Chicago's NE of there at the south end of the long skinny lake.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Kajeesus posted:

Yet that didn't stop you from guessing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

stubblyhead posted:

If you mean the yellow splotch between the blue and red zones, that's the St. Louis area. Chicago's NE of there at the south end of the long skinny lake.

Ah cool, thanks. :)

Jummy posted:

Yet that didn't stop you from guessing.

Sorry, I'll never take an interest in US geography again.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Kajeesus posted:

That's probably a good idea, yeah.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
For someone not from the States, that's not really a bad guess about Chicago.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

For someone not from the States, that's not really a bad guess about Chicago.

My thought exactly.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've lived in the US all my life and when he asked about Chicago my first thought was "Yeah, that seems about right" v:)v

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Most of us don't realize that 4 oz. sticks of butter are shaped differently on the West Coast vs. East Coast. Let's go all Tupac vs. Biggie on this argument none of us knew we were having.

The explanation:
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/ive-always-wondered/why-are-sticks-butter-long-and-skinny-east-short-and-fat-west

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

benito posted:

Most of us don't realize that 4 oz. sticks of butter are shaped differently on the West Coast vs. East Coast. Let's go all Tupac vs. Biggie on this argument none of us knew we were having:

what the hell, west coast

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kajeesus posted:

Ah cool, thanks. :)

No!!! US geography is amazingly interesting! Did you know it is further from Pittsburgh to Phoenix (not even the coasts of the country) than it is from London to Moscow?! Or that we have a state that only has ~550k residents in 94k square miles?!

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Nov 11, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

what the hell, west coast

The long ones are fairly new here but we have both kinds now.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

DontMockMySmock posted:

No it's not. In real life, no one gives a poo poo.

Choco1980 posted:

One of these individuals is correct; choose wisely.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Solice Kirsk posted:

No!!! US geography is amazingly interesting! Did you know it is further from Chicago to Phoenix (not even the coasts of the country) than it is from London to Moscow?! Or that we have a state that only has ~550k residents in 94k square miles?!

And even further between New London, CT and Moscow, ID!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

benito posted:

Most of us don't realize that 4 oz. sticks of butter are shaped differently on the West Coast vs. East Coast. Let's go all Tupac vs. Biggie on this argument none of us knew we were having.

The explanation:
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/ive-always-wondered/why-are-sticks-butter-long-and-skinny-east-short-and-fat-west

Here in New York they have both kinds, but in Louisiana they only had butter in long, skinny sticks just as God intended. :911:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kajeesus posted:

No, we drink our pop while wearing gym shoes in the fronch room.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

benito posted:

The explanation:

I guess you west coasters prefer girth over length.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
West coast best coast. Short fat sticks of butter stack better in the butter tray on most refrigerators and leave less vertical clearance; this should be relevant to goons for whom storing a universe of butter is a necessary weekly chore

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

No, we drink our pop while wearing gym shoes in the fronch room.

Did you know Wisconsin people call drinking fountains "bubblers"? What the hell happened to that arctic hellscape of a state?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you know Wisconsin people call drinking fountains "bubblers"? What the hell happened to that arctic hellscape of a state?

This is pretty fun: New York Times Regional Dialect Quiz

It does remarkably well at pinning down where you grew up, tempered by where your parents grew up, based on what you call things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

CapitanGarlic posted:

West coast best coast. Short fat sticks of butter stack better in the butter tray on most refrigerators and leave less vertical clearance; this should be relevant to goons for whom storing a universe of butter is a necessary weekly chore

They still make most butter dishes long and skinny, though. It's incredibly annoying.

• Locked thread