Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Is there an official Goonfleetwaffe rule on how much creeping with intent to ruin lives is allowed? Or is it more of a trickle the doxxing out slowly and see what happens type thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CommonShore posted:

It's more that TEST got mangled by CFC spies (there's an article out there detailing it). Digi is what keeps us from being subject to similar manglings.

I'd be interested in reading this. Any idea where I can find it?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

By definition an outed spy doesn't impact much, so I'm not sure why you think I'd be talking about a spy we outed.

Since the entire conversation is about the ethics behind doxxing people in order to root out spies, maybe?

If an outed spy doesn't impact much, it seems pretty extreme to doxx people to do that. But the more I learn about this whole thing the more :yikes: it all gets. Hah.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

CommonShore posted:

It's more that TEST got mangled by CFC spies (there's an article out there detailing it). Digi is what keeps us from being subject to similar manglings.

As long as you're blue to 80% of the people you're blue with, having a CFC spy is beyond simple.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Since the entire conversation is about the ethics behind doxxing people in order to root out spies, maybe?

If an outed spy doesn't impact much, it seems pretty extreme to doxx people to do that. But the more I learn about this whole thing the more :yikes: it all gets. Hah.

He's more meaning that us outing a spy doesn't make a big splash, but should those spies stay undiscovered, the damage is huge. That's where the examples of successful spy actions are given, such as BoB, Fountain (not sure where the link to that article is, somewhere on TMC) etc etc.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Spiteski posted:

He's more meaning that us outing a spy doesn't make a big splash, but should those spies stay undiscovered, the damage is huge. That's where the examples of successful spy actions are given, such as BoB, Fountain (not sure where the link to that article is, somewhere on TMC) etc etc.

It's still insanely creepy and weird to doxx people to do that and condoning it, by extension, makes those people kinda creepy and weird too. This is a running theme here, though, so it doesn't surprise me anymore and watching that Margaret Thatcher guy out himself was pretty funny.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did that actually take anything beyond "reading his post history on EVE-O?"

Well, his YouTube videos were also a damning point of evidence.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I like the reverse Tiger Protection Rock argument Xolve is going for. Nothing catastrophically bad has happened to us with our current counterintelligence setup, so clearly that means there was never anything to be afraid of and we can just tear it all down.

Widestancer posted:

It's still insanely creepy and weird to doxx people to do that and condoning it, by extension, makes those people kinda creepy and weird too. This is a running theme here, though, so it doesn't surprise me anymore and watching that Margaret Thatcher guy out himself was pretty funny.

His misadventures are old news. He's chilled out a bit and doesn't try to hide from his past, though he did go off the deep end a little bit not so long ago.

I agree that doxxing in general is bad and creepy, but at this point it's basically an acknowledged price of taking on significant roles in EVE's space empire metagame and organizations that don't go that far get punished for it in ways that directly impact their ability to have fun (getting your asses kicked and losing all your poo poo is not fun). If you don't want to get that far in, you can just not be a spy or play games that are good on their own merits instead of being a toolbox for mutual sociopathy.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 11, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Widestancer posted:

I need to make a larger version of :yikes: or something but Narciss is right.

Will this do?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

Because that was absolutely necessary to kick over the already defeated, bludgeoned and decaying corpse that was TEST, right (it was hilarious, but exceedingly unnecessary)?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

lol

E: May I borrow this to stick it in the OP of the Archeage thread? I'll give you credit.

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 11, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

As long as you're blue to 80% of the people you're blue with,

:holy:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

I...don't think you get how spies work.

A spy is effective until he's outed. Then he's not effective, because he's booted. So when Xolve asks when a spy actually mattered, we're going to discuss spies that did not get outed while doing their work. You catch and boot spies precisely so they no longer matter and don't impact much.

Digi doesn't go around posting what he finds out about people besides having their spies booted. What people think of when you say doxxing, like the gamergate poo poo, isn't at all what's going on. He did one time deservedly get criticism for posting something that (to the person involved) made it clear what he'd found.

I think that before you go around talking about how creepy people are it might actually pay to figure out what you're talking about as you don't really seem to have even the basics down.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those still not aware a Neo-nazi tried to run for CSM - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2832691#post2832691

That was pretty great because at the same time the Lulzsec DDOS on EVE happened and Xenuria somehow got barred from running that year and cried pretty hard about it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

A spy is effective until he's outed. Then he's not effective, because he's booted. So when Xolve asks when a spy actually mattered, we're going to discuss spies that did not get outed while doing their work. You catch and boot spies precisely so they no longer matter and don't impact much.

Digi doesn't go around posting what he finds out about people besides having their spies booted. What people think of when you say doxxing, like the gamergate poo poo, isn't at all what's going on. He did one time deservedly get criticism for posting something that (to the person involved) made it clear what he'd found.

I think that before you go around talking about how creepy people are it might actually pay to figure out what you're talking about as you don't really seem to have even the basics down.
So digging into people's personal jank is a-ok as long as it's in the name of defending goonswarm and he keeps it to himself?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

For those still not aware a Neo-nazi tried to run for CSM - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2832691#post2832691

That was pretty great because at the same time the Lulzsec DDOS on EVE happened and Xenuria somehow got barred from running that year and cried pretty hard about it.

No, see, that was the second time he ran for the CSM. The first time they just edited out all references to it and banned anyone who repeatedly pointed out the posts he'd made (on the eve-o forums, not elsewhere) randomly digressing from a fitting discussion to discuss racial purity.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blazing Zero posted:

So digging into people's personal jank is a-ok as long as it's in the name of defending goonswarm and he keeps it to himself?

you didn't really read what he said did you

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

He did one time deservedly get criticism for posting something that (to the person involved) made it clear what he'd found.

You do realize that even doing it once, is creepy as gently caress right?

evilweasel posted:

No, see, that was the second time he ran for the CSM. The first time they just edited out all references to it and banned anyone who repeatedly pointed out the posts he'd made (on the eve-o forums, not elsewhere) randomly digressing from a fitting discussion to discuss racial purity.

Ah, my mistake. I thought that was the first year he ran.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

That makes sense, about the spies being effective until they're outed. I'm not sure what you mean by doxxing and gamergate poo poo, though. I actively try not to pay attention to that stuff since it's a neural genocide of really hateful vitriol that no one wants to deal with. I mean, if you have a guy that's going around offsite digging stuff up about people in their personal lives, he's doxxing them. That's what I think of when I think of doxxing. So, he's doxxing people but it's nor really creepy and weird because he's not posting it? Just trying to get on the same page here.

I mean, I guess that's better than if he actually posted it. But it's still really creepy and weird to go play internet detective on people because of a video game.

I feel like we're not on the same page here and I'd like to be. This is an interesting ethical discussion.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

You do realize that even doing it once, is creepy as gently caress right?

It is probably better if you actually read my post before asking questions about it because the answer to this one is in there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

pretty sure we aren't gonna kick our counterintelligence direkkktor because a bunch of people outside the organization have fomented some weird vignette about how things went down based on posting from kugutsumen dot com

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

which I need remind you is now a site about human souls and whales I think?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

pretty sure we aren't gonna kick our counterintelligence direkkktor because a bunch of people outside the organization have fomented some weird vignette about how things went down based on posting from kugutsumen dot com

That would be a really dumb thing to do.

It doesn't mean that we can't laugh at it. Hell, even you guys seem to be okay with laughing at it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

you didn't really read what he said did you

evilweasel posted:

Digi doesn't go around posting what he finds out about people besides having their spies booted.

That reads to me like it's okay to creep on people so long as digi doesn't post it publically? Or did I misunderstand? I just want to know because yeah I knew people used APIs and wallet transactions to root out spies but trying to be mini NSA on folks for a video game seems pretty weird.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Unfunny Poster posted:

CSM is so much better than real voting. If only they let the final seats be decided by a game of musical chairs or a cage match or something live on the fanfest stage, it would be perfect.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Widestancer posted:

That makes sense, about the spies being effective until they're outed. I'm not sure what you mean by doxxing and gamergate poo poo, though. I actively try not to pay attention to that stuff since it's a neural genocide of really hateful vitriol that no one wants to deal with. I mean, if you have a guy that's going around offsite digging stuff up about people in their personal lives, he's doxxing them. That's what I think of when I think of doxxing. So, he's doxxing people but it's nor really creepy and weird because he's not posting it? Just trying to get on the same page here.

I mean, I guess that's better than if he actually posted it. But it's still really creepy and weird to go play internet detective on people because of a video game.

Taking a position of space authority in this game is basically volunteering to get doxxed because by now everyone knows what can happen if you don't make sure people are who they say they are. It's not pleasant, but it's required for the larger organizations to function. Intent does matter in this instance, because it's meant to be an identity verification rather than a tool for public embarrassment and the information should never go any further than is necessary to fulfill that purpose.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
The Digi rage is really dumb. He is a perfectly acceptable practitioner of the meta game, with the exception of the Manny incident, which was dealt with appropriately. We're fortunate to have him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

I feel like we're not on the same page here and I'd like to be. This is an interesting ethical discussion.

What digi is doing is linking one eve identity to another which is what eve counterintelligence is - everyone in EVE has someone who does it, they're just generally not as good as digi is. I do not have any qualms about it while it stays strictly in-game because it's a fundamental part of a game that allows and promotes spying. It is roughly similar to how I do not have qualms about people hitting each other in the face while they're boxing.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

TEST died before you even invaded, there was about a month of them getting their collective poo poo pushed in by a PL/CFC brofist; Fountain went the same way Branch did.

Still regret saving Aerallo's titan though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Voyager I posted:

Taking a position of space authority in this game is basically volunteering to get doxxed because by now everyone knows what can happen if you don't make sure people are who they say they are. It's not pleasant, but it's required for the larger organizations to function. Intent does matter in this instance, because it's meant to be an identity verification rather than a tool for public embarrassment and the information should never go any further than is necessary to fulfill that purpose.

Why would anyone ever tie any of their in game stuff to their real life identity, though? If someone is smart enough not to do that (and there are very many good reasons to conceal that sort of thing) does that mean that they can't get to those positions?

E: If it's all just in game stuff, yeah, that makes sense. If it's out of game, gently caress that.

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 11, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

TEST died before you even invaded, there was about a month of them getting their collective poo poo pushed in by a PL/CFC brofist; Fountain went the same way Branch did.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

What digi is doing is linking one eve identity to another which is what eve counterintelligence is - everyone in EVE has someone who does it, they're just generally not as good as digi is. I do not have any qualms about it while it stays strictly in-game because it's a fundamental part of a game that allows and promotes spying. It is roughly similar to how I do not have qualms about people hitting each other in the face while they're boxing.

That makes sense, yeah. If it's in the same game, that's totally legit. If anyone's going offsite and out of the game, though, that's pretty weird. I really hope that hasn't happened outside of the one guy who outed himself earlier in that unintentionally funny post. That was pretty good and I got my laugh for the day out of it:

Margaret Thatcher posted:

When I was 13, I really liked the idea of joining Goonswarm. In particular, I liked the idea of The Mittani. I thought I could get him to invite me to the corp by posting his real name on the forums and making weird YouTube videos where I sung to him.

I've come to regret it immensely, but I think my experience helps in debates like this.

Still makes me laugh at him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

If we were only fighting TEST in Fountain, you'd be correct. But we weren't. Our beachhead, 4-EP, really should have fallen early on in the war - it was on its final shield timer and a massive NC. supercarrier fleet cynoed into the system. That was before we'd actually unfucked our doctrines and could combat that with...low dps tengus.

People usually forget how dicey the first few weeks of that invasion were, before 4-EP got a jammer and all hell broke lose (also, after someone dropped all of Nulli's renter sov and they had to run back and grind it). But that was a really close affair and a huge reason NC. never managed to go on the offensive enough to push us out was their effort being completely wasted by TEST's incorrect timer board and vanishing SBUs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Widestancer posted:

Why would anyone ever tie any of their in game stuff to their real life identity, though? If someone is smart enough not to do that (and there are very many good reasons to conceal that sort of thing) does that mean that they can't get to those positions?

This one is over my head, but I can imagine that someone who existed only as a sanitized set of essential information that couldn't be cross-checked against anything else might run into a trust barrier.

EDIT: this is out of game stuff. Joining any serious organization, even as a basic line member, will invariably mean handing over full access API keys that let them see everything you do in the game; your wallet history, your messages, your assets, your contacts, etc. Making a sanitized account means essentially starting a character over from scratch without any outside help and is a significant effort barrier to people who would otherwise be happy to join a group just to torpedo a few expensive ships and then run off cackling (which is a whoooole lot of people).

For taking on positions of space importance, people will dig to your real-life identity. Nobody is dumb enough to use in-game tools for anything, especially when surrendering your in-game privacy is a given.

I don't have any personal experience here, but I'd wager anyone taking on a position that requires that level of investigation is probably already investing enough of their real life efforts into making their organization work that they are okay with surrendering some basic personal information to be certain that the people they're working alongside aren't trying to subvert their efforts.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

Still makes me laugh at him.

Margaret Thatcher is leaving off that while he's not still making those videos, he still is obsessed with joining goonswarm to an unhealthy degree and seems to slip in and get banned every few weeks.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
This thread really needs to die, and we need to wait a couple weeks to start a new one.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Voyager I posted:

This one is over my head, but I can imagine that someone who existed only as a sanitized set of essential information that couldn't be cross-checked against anything else might run into a trust barrier.

If someone doesn't exist as only that online they run into the very real threat of being assaulted or sexually assaulted (people get REALLY weird about certain things online). I'll take my chances with having to overcome a trust barrier.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Margaret Thatcher is leaving off that while he's not still making those videos, he still is obsessed with joining goonswarm to an unhealthy degree and seems to slip in and get banned every few weeks.

Everyone laugh at Margaret Thatcher if this is true.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

E: If it's all just in game stuff, yeah, that makes sense. If it's out of game, gently caress that.

I am not aware of any EVE groups that require disclosing your IRL identity to join. I don't think anyone knew who I was when I got made a goonswarm director and I certainly wasn't asked.

That said, at the highest levels of the game many of the sovholding entities are run by people who know each other IRL to a certain degree (either previously or they've gotten to know each other) because that's one of the ways you can get people who actually trust each other enough.

edit: I'm wrong, one organization you must disclose your IRL identity to join is the CSM. However that's CCP enforcing that rule and they've basically said they do it because they can't and won't guarantee to keep you identity secret (and people have protested this repeatedly). I know of several people who absolutely refuse to run as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

So, when he convos me in-game referencing my real life name and bringing up my real life background etc. you agree that's creepy as poo poo right? That was also about two months or so before the Manny incident.

• Locked thread