Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I'm just going to pretend that Maggie's speech about having something new to hold onto w/r/t Washington and the cure is why she's not been shown to be concerned over Beth's disappearance. She hasn't come to terms with Hershel's death and Beth's (in her mind, probable) death, and instead of facing it she's putting everything into pursuing a new life with Glenn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

enraged_camel posted:

my guess: he will come close to killing himself again, except this time his girlfriend will reveal that she's pregnant

and then keeping her safe will be his new "mission"

(i hope this doesn't happen and he just kills himself)

gently caress you I like abe

RIP bob :(

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
also hahaha yes they finally ran into that giant zombie horde again only took two seasons

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

also hahaha yes they finally ran into that giant zombie horde again only took two seasons

One season, last time we saw it was during the sickness arc in S4. But yeah, I'm hoping that these sightings are building up to an episode where the group has to survive in the middle of one of these mega-herds.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

One season, last time we saw it was during the sickness arc in S4. But yeah, I'm hoping that these sightings are building up to an episode where the group has to survive in the middle of one of these mega-herds.

Shouldn't be too hard unless they somehow forget about zombie gut camouflage, you know... again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zombie gut camo has way too much symbolic meaning to be overused.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

CherryCat posted:

Shouldn't be too hard unless they somehow forget about zombie gut camouflage, you know... again.

There is no way you could convince me to go walking through a herd like that with nothing but gut camo as protection. All it would take would be for just one thing to go wrong with a single member of the group, and then they're all hosed.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

Best line of this episode was Glenn's "I ... didn't need to know that."
That or him actually suggesting they get new, dry clothes from Goodwill after Eugene goes ham with the hose.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Urdnot Fire posted:

That or him actually suggesting they get new, dry clothes from Goodwill after Eugene goes ham with the hose.

Glenn was on point this whole episode. I loved that he was ready to throw down with Abraham over his plan to plow straight through the mega-herd.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I'd be pretty pissed if dude used the only source of water to wipe out zombies when it's been pretty clearly established literally every character in that group besides Eugene can handle themselves with a gang of zombies even bigger than that, but wasting water seems to be a ripe tradition in the walking dead universe.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

There is no way you could convince me to go walking through a herd like that with nothing but gut camo as protection. All it would take would be for just one thing to go wrong with a single member of the group, and then they're all hosed.

Also it involves ruining a set of clothes which might not easily be replaced.

If we're including the games, pretty much what you're describing happens. And it doesn't seem to work as well up close.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grin and Tonic posted:

I'd be pretty pissed if dude used the only source of water to wipe out zombies when it's been pretty clearly established literally every character in that group besides Eugene can handle themselves with a gang of zombies even bigger than that, but wasting water seems to be a ripe tradition in the walking dead universe.

I thought it was a pretty clever character point. Oftentimes super goons no matter how book smart are common sense dumb after all.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Why cover themselves in gore when all they have to do is cut off jaws and arms for a perfectly acceptable camouflage. Since zombies are now easier to off than rabid babies.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Big Ink posted:

Why cover themselves in gore when all they have to do is cut off jaws and arms for a perfectly acceptable camouflage. Since zombies are now easier to off than rabid babies.

I think even the jawless ones have a limit. They only really work with a modest mean free path between zombies. We never see them used when the herd is literally shoulder to shoulder for hundreds of yards which is how the comics depict The Herd.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

precision posted:

Weren't you paying attention? He has AIDS.

And still banged that chick in front of Eugene.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Capn Beeb posted:

Smashing poo poo with the stock of an AR does run a chance of busting up the buffer tube inside, yeah. It's an easily replaced part, provided you have a spare and the necessary. Otherwise lol welp enjoy your club I guess.

Also yeah gently caress touching off an M44 indoors :stonk:

Season six promo art:

That's a really cool six million foot tall aircraft carrier

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

moths posted:

This doesn't mean you can't have fun watching something stupid - but there's a reason people still love Twin Peaks 25 years later, while you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who still gives a gently caress about Lost.
gently caress you, too.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Big Ink posted:

I never understood the logic in this. How does having jawless zombies near you make you invisible to other zombies?

Zombie camo makes you look and smell like them, that I can get behind. Pet zombies, not so much.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It grosses them out, no zombie wants to hang around the zombie with no arms.

Get well soon Eugene!!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gortarius posted:

I never understood the logic in this. How does having jawless zombies near you make you invisible to other zombies?

Zombie camo makes you look and smell like them, that I can get behind. Pet zombies, not so much.

I think it has to do with their hive awareness. At least that's how I make sense of it in my head. This is another thing they kind of tackle in the comics via dialogue because obviously the pictures aren't moving but theyve sort of explained it a bit via different zombie scenes but basically there are different kinds of zombie behaviors. ones that camp, ones that roam around, and ones that herd. The herd forms when one gets interested in a thing, maybe a sound or something and starts pursuing it, then it crosses paths with another, who gets curious and follows, which hysterisizes and causes more and more to follow, eventually it's a mob that doesn't even know what it's following. As they mention in the show, removing the jaws removes their hunger for whatever reason. I think surrounding yourself with walkers who have no interest in you whatsoever plays on this sort of unknown cause hive mind. There has to be a mechanism in the walkers' behavior that knows to differentiate the sound of other walkers from all other sounds. So in that case it may have some sort of rudimentary transitivity. These two are walkers, they don't care about that, therefore I shouldn't either. As I mentioned earlier, I think this breaks down when the mean free path of the walkers, or lattice spacing if you prefer, is so close so that the transitive effect of the two disinterested walkers is overruled by the one walker's ability to see through the facade due to proximity. Once one notices, the others will follow.

at least that's how I think of it, who knows though, thinking too much about the science of zombie things turns it from horror to sci fi (also as I mentioned earlier in this thread) which isn't the strongest way to build a story, imo. This is why there will never be a cure, or why they'll never explain where it came from, etc.

holy zombie sperg :goonsay: I'm a fuckin nerd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think it has to do with their hive awareness. At least that's how I make sense of it in my head. This is another thing they kind of tackle in the comics via dialogue because obviously the pictures aren't moving but theyve sort of explained it a bit via different zombie scenes but basically there are different kinds of zombie behaviors. ones that camp, ones that roam around, and ones that herd. The herd forms when one gets interested in a thing, maybe a sound or something and starts pursuing it, then it crosses paths with another, who gets curious and follows, which hysterisizes and causes more and more to follow, eventually it's a mob that doesn't even know what it's following. As they mention in the show, removing the jaws removes their hunger for whatever reason. I think surrounding yourself with walkers who have no interest in you whatsoever plays on this sort of unknown cause hive mind. There has to be a mechanism in the walkers' behavior that knows to differentiate the sound of other walkers from all other sounds. So in that case it may have some sort of rudimentary transitivity. These two are walkers, they don't care about that, therefore I shouldn't either. As I mentioned earlier, I think this breaks down when the mean free path of the walkers, or lattice spacing if you prefer, is so close so that the transitive effect of the two disinterested walkers is overruled by the one walker's ability to see through the facade due to proximity. Once one notices, the others will follow.

:stare:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
gently caress you guys for not belieiving in abe. you guys didnt believe in bob either t:mad:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

at least that's how I think of it, who knows though, thinking too much about the science of zombie things turns it from horror to sci fi (also as I mentioned earlier in this thread) which isn't the strongest way to build a story, imo. This is why there will never be a cure, or why they'll never explain where it came from, etc.

Horror? There is nothing scary about the current zombies. They're slow, loud and extremely easy to dispose of and they become a threat only when in very large groups or when they catch someone unawares (like Hershel and Bob).

The sci-fi aspect is a lot more compelling. The CDC episodes from Season 1 were some of the best, imo, especially when the guy showed the brain MRI video of his bitten wife while she was alive and after she turned. Note that just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean there has to be a perfect explanation for everything. There are lots of things science still can't explain, especially when it comes to human biology. Heck, nature itself is full of micro-organisms that infect animal brains and change their behaviors or cause them to go totally insane. If the writers are actually talented and they do their research they can come up with something compelling along those lines. And yeah, there may be ubernerds who feel the need to dissect and disprove sci-fi plot elements, but that doesn't mean much because I think audiences as a whole would be very willing to suspend their disbelief and embrace science-y zombie stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gently caress man science still can't explain why people yawn.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The point about the various zombie disguises is it's all about giving up your humanity. Michonne more or less explicitly explains this at some point.
It's about detachment; weren't her first zombie companies are literally her former friends, whose hands and teeth she cut off?
It's about how inhuman you're willing to become.

About half of TWD can be explained by just that thing actually. The more you give up your humanity, the more you begin to resemble the zombies even while you're alive, the mightier you become. Biting a guy isn't actually a powerful martial arts move. But by becoming a living zombie, Rick becomes mighty.

precision posted:

Or sleep.

We have a bunch of neat (and incompatible) theories though!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would finally stop watching the show if it became A Science Show About Zombies. I don't care how much research the writers did. I watch it for the whole "good people becoming monsters in the face of existential hopelessness" thing and the Eugene jokes. I like Father Gabriel, hated the CDC plot.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GrAviTy84 posted:

Goon poetry

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

gently caress you guys for not belieiving in abe. you guys didnt believe in bob either t:mad:

I believe in Abe. I don't think he is a wife beater necessarily as those bruises and whatnot could have been from those dudes as well... rapists often aren't know for being gentle. People are already freaked out about the zombies when tension rise. One day your best buds and the only people keeping you safe from the hordes of ravenous monsters suddenly decide to work on their frustrations on you and, more importantly, your children. Who knows how long this went on and how long Abe was gone. Abe justifiably freaks the gently caress out and beats them to death. With his bare hands. Over who knows how much time as beating people to death is not an instant thing normally. These were their friends or, at the very least the group that helped keep them alive. To them they were their version of Rick, Carol and Company. They didn't expect this. They were already past the point of stressed out were shocked to see Abe turn into something as savage as the horde outside. Is it dumb? Maybe. Is it what could happen? Sure. They freaked and ran. Doesn't mean that Abe was a wife beater for years who terrorized his wife and kids. Be nice to Abe is what I'm saying. Give a brother a chance.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 12, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

precision posted:

I totally yawned when I read that. Explain THAT, Science!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Von_Doom posted:

I believe in Abe. I don't think he is a wife beater necessarily as those bruises and whatnot could have been from those dudes as well... rapists often aren't know for being gentle. People are already freaked out about the zombies when tension rise. One day your best buds and the only people keeping you safe from the hordes of ravenous monsters suddenly decide to work on their frustrations on you and, more importantly, your children. Who knows how long this went on and how long Abe was gone. Abe justifiably freaks the gently caress out and beats them to death. With his bare hands. Over who knows how much time as beating people to death is not an instant thing normally. These were their friends or, at the very least the group that helped keep them alive. To them they were their version of Rick, Carol and Company. They didn't expect this. They were already past the point of stressed out were shocked to see Abe turn into something as savage as the horde outside. Is it dumb? Maybe. Is it what could happen? Sure. They freaked and ran. Doesn't mean that Abe was a wife beater for years who terrorized his wife and kids. Be nice to Abe is what I'm saying. Give a brother a chance.

Wait where was it established that he was a wife beater

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

He's not, people are dumb.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

He's not, people are dumb.

Yeah there's been like 4 pages of people saying he clearly beats his wife. It has never been stated by the show that some people watch.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only thing that can be scientifically proven is the inverse relationship between this show's quality and the posts in it's SA threads.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

People were calling other people dumb for thinking Tyreese didn't kill the guy in the cabin either.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I thought they were freaked out that Abe wandered off which allowed them to be raped by his buddies and then even more freaked out after he killed them with like his bare hands so they just took off

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Currently there isn't any other explanation for why the woman has a black eye and she clearly tries to shield her kids from him, and then leaves a "don't follow us" message when she runs away.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

enraged_camel posted:

Currently there isn't any other explanation for why the woman has a black eye

walked into a door

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Yeah, Abe is a stand-up guy. The wife was terrified and clearly avoiding him because in a bizarre twist, Abe had won alimony in their divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

enraged_camel posted:

Currently there isn't any other explanation for why the woman has a black eye and she clearly tries to shield her kids from him, and then leaves a "don't follow us" message when she runs away.

I figured it was because the dudes he killed attacked them and he hulked out, then his family learned that the true monster was man and ran out and apparently managed to die in like five minutes.

• Locked thread