Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm getting an issue with the updated app where going back to the bookmarks forces a refresh despite that setting being turned off, and neither bookmarks or thread lists in subforums being able to go past the first page, even after a reinstall.

Also, I used to keep saying that I'd help here and there with the app but I've been so swamped lately. :smith: Maybe in a few months I can poke around at the XAML but not before then. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm getting an issue with the updated app where going back to the bookmarks forces a refresh despite that setting being turned off, and neither bookmarks or thread lists in subforums being able to go past the first page, even after a reinstall.

Also, I used to keep saying that I'd help here and there with the app but I've been so swamped lately. :smith: Maybe in a few months I can poke around at the XAML but not before then. :(

Again, it's the database being hosed up. Normally it would be cached so it would not refresh. In order to get it to not call it, I hacked it so it always runs.

It sucks, I know. But unless I can hack their code to fix my issues, I have to wait, or redo every database function to not use Entity.

For you, my solution would be to download my newest code and compile it yourself. That should get everything (including my new database stuff) working (So long as you deply the debug version). Otherwise, you're stuck.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Drastic Actions posted:

They don't work at the moment, because I had to turn off the database functions (The issues which are explained above.). Once that gets fixed, the tab page will have a plus icon so you can add the current thread. There will also be UI exposed so you can see all tabs where ever you are.

But I need the Entity framework stuff fixed before before I can turn it on.

Will I be able to open a reply (or a Quote-reply) in a new tab, so that I can keep reading the thread I'm in without losing my place when posting a reply takes me to the end of the thread?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Will I be able to open a reply (or a Quote-reply) in a new tab, so that I can keep reading the thread I'm in without losing my place when posting a reply takes me to the end of the thread?

Maybe, if I add that :v:. Basically, think of tabs as instances of threads. The reply views are totally separate, and don't currently have any knowledge of the tab, nor have anything to do with them. Likewise, there is no saved drafts of thread posts yet (The iOS app does that I think). In the future I can do that, but I want to make sure the core concept of tabs works before I try it on other things.

And right now it goes straight to the end of the the thread after a reply because that's what the forums do. I can make it an settings option later to not do that. That does not impact tabbing, it's just redirecting what view I take you to, and in that case it's just going back and not changing anything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Maybe, if I add that :v:. Basically, think of tabs as instances of threads. The reply views are totally separate, and don't currently have any knowledge of the tab, nor have anything to do with them. Likewise, there is no saved drafts of thread posts yet (The iOS app does that I think). In the future I can do that, but I want to make sure the core concept of tabs works before I try it on other things.

And right now it goes straight to the end of the the thread after a reply because that's what the forums do. I can make it an settings option later to not do that. That does not impact tabbing, it's just redirecting what view I take you to, and in that case it's just going back and not changing anything.

When I'm viewing the forums at my PC, I usually open a reply in a new tab so that I can quote something and respond to it, without losing my place, so being able to do this on the app would be extremely helpful.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Jewmanji posted:

Been trying to drag and drop a perfectly well-tagged album from my computer onto my 920 (running 8.1). First attempt only 3 songs made it over. Second attempt and a few songs were added one by one each time I opened the album up on my phone, but somehow only 75% of the album transferred. So all told it took me about ten minutes to put 3/4's of an album on my phone. 8.1 is so painful.

Try a different cable, I've had some cables that don't do sync very well though they charge perfectly fine.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jewmanji posted:

Been trying to drag and drop a perfectly well-tagged album from my computer onto my 920 (running 8.1). First attempt only 3 songs made it over. Second attempt and a few songs were added one by one each time I opened the album up on my phone, but somehow only 75% of the album transferred. So all told it took me about ten minutes to put 3/4's of an album on my phone. 8.1 is so painful.

Save yourself the hassle, put your well tagged music in OneDrive instead then stream it :toot:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Some VLC for Windows Phone News: It's actually coming. Really, no joke. The ARM libraries are actually working, so now we can get video and audio on ARM.

As for the app itself; It has a really nice UI and hopefully not a ton of bugs. I've also been working on it when I've had time (outside of work and Awful Forums Reader), so at least the current issues I still have with it are being worked on. Hopefully I will get access to the ARM libraries this week, so I can make the background audio player for them, and we can get this out the door.

And it being VLC, will be free.

EDIT: As for my entity framework issue, it seems it has, at the very least, been assigned, so that's good news :woop:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2014

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Drastic Actions posted:

Some VLC for Windows Phone News: It's actually coming. Really, no joke. The ARM libraries are actually working, so now we can get video and audio on ARM.

As for the app itself; It has a really nice UI and hopefully not a ton of bugs. I've also been working on it when I've had time (outside of work and Awful Forums Reader), so at least the current issues I still have with it are being worked on. Hopefully I will get access to the ARM libraries this week, so I can make the background audio player for them, and we can get this out the door.

And it being VLC, will be free.

EDIT: As for my entity framework issue, it seems it has, at the very least, been assigned, so that's good news :woop:

Good news.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ladies and gents, the Microsoft Lumia 535:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/the-lumia-535-is-the-first-microsoft-branded-smartphone/

Hopefully it will be more broadly available at some point soon, it seems like a great little entry level smartphone.

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010
Pretty solid for a $135 device. 1GB of RAM should alleviate a lot of the long "Resuming..." screens that anyone on a 512MB device stares at when multitasking and it has a flash. Those are the main sore points for a 520/521 user.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
And a front facing camera. Those were literally the only 3 things I've felt my 521 has been lacking.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
Not any old FFC, the same FFC as the 730. And an actual auto focus rear camera, not the dodgy POS from the 530. Basically this phone is what the 530 and 630 should have been, rolled into one and released a couple of months later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Ladies and gents, the Microsoft Lumia 535:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/the-lumia-535-is-the-first-microsoft-branded-smartphone/

Hopefully it will be more broadly available at some point soon, it seems like a great little entry level smartphone.

Is there a camera button. :ohdear:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Is there a camera button. :ohdear:

No, but if you look at the second pic in the gallery there is a built in folding lid/cover for the screen - If they add this to a more expensive phone I could see it hosting a keyboard like surface tablets have, but in the mean time this looks like a great first phone for a kid - harder to get a cracked screen.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Krinos posted:

Not any old FFC, the same FFC as the 730. And an actual auto focus rear camera, not the dodgy POS from the 530. Basically this phone is what the 530 and 630 should have been, rolled into one and released a couple of months later.

with no plan to release it in the US and only to Europe after a few months. Yay Microsoft!

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
My phone simply will not install the Lumia Camera app. And, before anyone asks, yes it's a Lumia.

Every time I try to install the thing it downloads, looks like it's installing and then gives an error telling me to make sure my phone is on the latest update for it, which it is. It's on the most up to date version of the DP and running the Cyan firmware.

So what the gently caress? Is this happening to anyone else?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A good percentage of the people I know have recently bought the iPhone 6. Watching them use it, it's hard not to get a tad jealous with how smoothly everything operates. The one thing I always loved about WP from the beginning was how fluid and enjoyable the basic interface was. Ever since 8.1 though, I feel like things have gotten so choppy and unresponsive, it's like I'm using Android from years back. The Podcast App is sometimes unusably frustrating, and even Cortana has a noted delay from the time I click the mic button to hearing the "go ahead and speak" sound, meaning it often takes 3-4 clicks of the button and around 15 seconds of my time (If she gets the command right) to use properly. Similarly, if I'm listening to music, and I try to tap into the Music app from the homescreen by clicking the volume controls and then tapping the artist name to bring me to the Now Playing card, the phone basically shits itself for 3-5 seconds while it swipes it's way through various menus and finally gets me to my desired location.

Between Cortana being sluggish, the Podcast app being downright embarassing, Music still being a shitshow, it makes me really frustrated with the basic functionality of the platform for the first time since its inception. I hope that a new phone and some tweaks bring it back up to buttery-smoothness, because it's that basic usability that makes all of the larger, more-discussed shortcomings over the platform easier to stomach.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 12, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
A few months ago they updated IE and I had to switch to my bank's desktop website every time I wanted to do stuff. Then my bank updated their website and I can't go banking on it at all. It seems like a small complaint, but now that the Office suite and Here Maps is on other platforms it's making it harder to stick around. If the Z3 Compact had Qi charging I'd have jumped already, but I'm waiting.

I don't really care about most apps, but I used to handle all my banking during my commute so I wouldn't have to do it at home. It's hard to justify a new phone since my launch 920 still works like a champ - I get a day and a half out of the battery on average, it's been bumped and dinged and still keeps on keepin' on. But when I can't browse the web on it anymore because some of my websites updated their code and IE doesn't handle it properly it's kind of annoying.

I've also been a Nokia user for ages and it feels kind of sad that I won't have another new Nokia unless I go for the 930.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Jewmanji posted:

A good percentage of the people I know have recently bought the iPhone 6. Watching them use it, it's hard not to get a tad jealous with how smoothly everything operates. The one thing I always loved about WP from the beginning was how fluid and enjoyable the basic interface was. Ever since 8.1 though, I feel like things have gotten so choppy and unresponsive, it's like I'm using Android from years back. The Podcast App is sometimes unusably frustrating, and even Cortana has a noted delay from the time I click the mic button to hearing the "go ahead and speak" sound, meaning it often takes 3-4 clicks of the button and around 15 seconds of my time (If she gets the command right) to use properly. Similarly, if I'm listening to music, and I try to tap into the Music app from the homescreen by clicking the volume controls and then tapping the artist name to bring me to the Now Playing card, the phone basically shits itself for 3-5 seconds while it swipes it's way through various menus and finally gets me to my desired location.

Between Cortana being sluggish, the Podcast app being downright embarassing, Music still being a shitshow, it makes me really frustrated with the basic functionality of the platform for the first time since its inception. I hope that a new phone and some tweaks bring it back up to buttery-smoothness, because it's that basic usability that makes all of the larger, more-discussed shortcomings over the platform easier to stomach.

I feel pretty much the same. I've had a Windows Phone since launch, but I'm getting closer and closer to moving back to an iPhone. It just seems so much smoother at this point than WP8.1.

Music being a shitshow* still and the fact that there's still no word on a successor to the 1020 (which I have) or a new flagship are making me itchy for something new.

* I know their are other options that the baked-in Music app, but since I have an Xbox Music Pass it's pretty much the only game in town. I'd say about once a week it randomly decides it can't play any of my downloaded content unless I restart. Not to mention it randomly pausing tracks and then crashing when I go to resume playback. That said, even with the broken functionality, it's still better (allegedly) than trying to use it on an iPhone.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 12, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I asked this in the TMobile thread, but I think maybe I'll get more help here.

Basically, I got my mom a Nokia 521. She has a plan with no data (well, technically, 30 MB/month). I turned off cell data, left on WiFi. Everything seems to work as expected except MMS. Receiving shows a link saying to click to download, but nothing happens. Sending just fails. APN settings seem correct.

From the TMobile thread, I got: IIRC it is a part of the texting messaging part of the plan. your cell data just needs to be turned on.

A) Does that sound correct? I should go check, but I'm out of town until Thanksgiving, so it will take me a while.
B) If A=true, then is there a way I can set up the phone to have cell data on, receive MMS, but still not use any data in the background (email check, syncing, photo backup, updates, whatever else)?

Otherwise, seems like she's using the phone just fine (first smartphone). The only complaint I have is some of the targets seem too small. I have the text size maxed out, but things like the voicemail icon in the dailer are super tiny and hard to see and tap.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

I feel pretty much the same. I've had a Windows Phone since launch, but I'm getting closer and closer to moving back to an iPhone. It just seems so much smoother at this point than WP8.1.

Music being a shitshow* still and the fact that there's still no word on a successor to the 1020 (which I have) or a new flagship are making me itchy for something new.

* I know their are other options that the baked-in Music app, but since I have an Xbox Music Pass it's pretty much the only game in town. I'd say about once a week it randomly decides it can't play any of my downloaded content unless I restart. Not to mention it randomly pausing tracks and then crashing when I go to resume playback. That said, even with the broken functionality, it's still better (allegedly) than trying to use it on an iPhone.

This guy and the guy he quoted. What the gently caress is going on? Sloooow buggy interface is now a norm. Along with decentralising the excellently centralised I'm not feeling the original optimism. I'm in the 2000s to Windows Phone's preceding 1990s.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shrimpy posted:

From my time using the Xbox Music app on the iPhone (when I used Xbox Music), it worked far better than the Windows Phone 8.1 version for quite some time. The last few updates for Windows Phone made it... um, passable I guess? But it's still pretty poor compared to what else is out there.

My issue with it though is not necessary the app itself, it's the API for handling music on Windows Phone. Quite frankly I think it sucks, and is a royal pain in the rear end to use. I like the fact that the music app is, from what I recall, an actual app written with the same tools regular developers have to use, but it just shows off just how poor those tools can be sometimes when you don't get special treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel developing WinRT apps is far easier than working with iOS and Android, even with Xamarin help, but sometimes you just run into weird issues that just make you go :psyduck:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

Along with decentralising the excellently centralised I'm not feeling the original optimism. I'm in the 2000s to Windows Phone's preceding 1990s.

Excluding Zune Pass/Xbox Music Pass, the People hub, the Me activity feed, and Facebook messaging built into Messaging were things that originally got me really excited about the platform.

The People hub now constantly launches the Facebook app, instead of allowing me to view the post and reply right from the hub itself.
Me doesn't do the activity feed from Facebook, Twitter, etc. anymore.
And instead of baking more chat programs directly into Messaging like Skype, they've reduced it back to just texting.

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

Uthor posted:

Basically, I got my mom a Nokia 521. She has a plan with no data (well, technically, 30 MB/month). I turned off cell data, left on WiFi. Everything seems to work as expected except MMS. Receiving shows a link saying to click to download, but nothing happens. Sending just fails. APN settings seem correct.

From the TMobile thread, I got: IIRC it is a part of the texting messaging part of the plan. your cell data just needs to be turned on.

A) Does that sound correct? I should go check, but I'm out of town until Thanksgiving, so it will take me a while.
B) If A=true, then is there a way I can set up the phone to have cell data on, receive MMS, but still not use any data in the background (email check, syncing, photo backup, updates, whatever else)?

Otherwise, seems like she's using the phone just fine (first smartphone). The only complaint I have is some of the targets seem too small. I have the text size maxed out, but things like the voicemail icon in the dailer are super tiny and hard to see and tap.

I think they're right about cell data needing to be on. You could use Data Sense to set a monthly limit if it does have to be enabled. Also try disabling WiFi calling if it isn't already - that always broke MMS for me.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Also in data sense are settings to turn off the background stuff while on data. And for picture uploads, just go into photos+camera and make sure the upload only on Wi-Fi thing is enabled.

Maybe I'm weird but I'm not really missing the integrated stuff, probably because I never had WP7. My 1020 definitely lags a bit behind my friend's iPhone 6 but I'm not sure it's fair to compare a new phone with one that's nearly a year and a half old. Now not putting out a more widely available (at least in the US) flagship followup to the 920, that's some dumb poo poo.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

At this point, I've jumped ship to iOS as a primary phone, largely due to the music/podcast experience and the lack of polish that has plagued the whole 8.x release. The lack of a new flagship for AT&T also contributed quite a bit.

I figure I'll give Microsoft a year until my NEXT term is up to make some progress.

So far, biggest things I miss are the live tiles (icons are boring, android widgets are interesting idea, but badly implemented), Cortana (siri blows by comparison) and the people hub/app. Even in its neutered 8.x version its still light years better thanks iOS/Android contacts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No, but if you look at the second pic in the gallery there is a built in folding lid/cover for the screen - If they add this to a more expensive phone I could see it hosting a keyboard like surface tablets have, but in the mean time this looks like a great first phone for a kid - harder to get a cracked screen.

I want my camera button. :smith:

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I kind of want to wait and see what happens with Windows 10 before jumping ship, but some things are really annoying me about the platform now. I don't know if it's just an incompatibility with the micro SD or what, but I've had all kinds of problems syncing music with Windows Media Player that I just didn't have with syncing my WP7 with Zune. Right now, for example, it's displaying the path for most songs instead of the actual title, like it ignored the ID3 tag while syncing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm so glad I don't use my phone for music beyond the very occasional Pandora so I can live blissfully unaware of all these music issues.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still really miss the Zune desktop player, guys :smith:

e: I know, I can still use it to play music on my PC, it just doesn't feel the same

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm so glad I don't use my phone for music beyond the very occasional Pandora so I can live blissfully unaware of all these music issues.

The main reason I even bought a smartphone in the first place was because I was tired of lugging around my Zune I use all the time and a feature phone I use occaisonally, and I thought that surely a modern multicore device with cellular connectivity should be able to do it even better. And for awhile on WP7 it almost was.

Then I got so mad about the botched media job on WP8 I went and wrote my own app about it (which still isn't as good as my Zune, I should say).

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

loquacius posted:

I still really miss the Zune desktop player, guys :smith:

e: I know, I can still use it to play music on my PC, it just doesn't feel the same

I still use it on my PC because the desktop Xbox Music client is pretty lovely too.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

At this point, I've jumped ship to iOS as a primary phone, largely due to the music/podcast experience and the lack of polish that has plagued the whole 8.x release. The lack of a new flagship for AT&T also contributed quite a bit.

I figure I'll give Microsoft a year until my NEXT term is up to make some progress.

So far, biggest things I miss are the live tiles (icons are boring, android widgets are interesting idea, but badly implemented), Cortana (siri blows by comparison) and the people hub/app. Even in its neutered 8.x version its still light years better thanks iOS/Android contacts.

Honestly the music experience is really crucial. When jobs introduced the original iPhone, they hyped its ability in three areas. As a phone, as an internet device and as a music player. The phone part is arguably less important now unless you include various messaging solutions. But given that music is seen as at least the third most important thing a smart phone should do, its baffling that Microsoft has deprecated the music experience so much. Zune desktop and zune on windows phone7 were what really sold me on the platform coming from IOS.

If I wasn't so smitten with live tiles and the 1020 camera (although the slowness is started to really bug me), I'd have jumped ship already.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Uthor posted:

First, even Simple Starter plan has 500mb data for $40 a month. 2nd MMS doesn't require a data plan.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm still grandfathered into the 10 free MP3 Zune plan and will probably never unsubscribe unless I can never find a working Zune player.

I'm on AT&T and eligible for an upgrade, I only pay attention to phones when my upgrade is near so I'm not very knowledgeable, but I prefer Windows phones. I currently have a Lumia 920, no real complaints and I could probably be content using it until it breaks down or I could sign another 2 year contract and get a Lumia 1520.

I read the past few pages and it sounds like there's nothing upcoming anytime soon. Worth the upgrade to a 1520 or should I be patient for a while and see what comes out next?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

katkillad2 posted:

I'm still grandfathered into the 10 free MP3 Zune plan and will probably never unsubscribe unless I can never find a working Zune player.

I'm on AT&T and eligible for an upgrade, I only pay attention to phones when my upgrade is near so I'm not very knowledgeable, but I prefer Windows phones. I currently have a Lumia 920, no real complaints and I could probably be content using it until it breaks down or I could sign another 2 year contract and get a Lumia 1520.

I read the past few pages and it sounds like there's nothing upcoming anytime soon. Worth the upgrade to a 1520 or should I be patient for a while and see what comes out next?

1520 hardware wise is still a very current spec if you can handle the size, although the AT&T version is slightly gimpy.

As to what the future holds, who knows, doesn't seem like anything particularly exciting in terms of a 920 replacement is coming out this year though. 830 is pretty much a wash with the 920 spec wise, although I suspect the battery on that 920 is probably getting a bit sad, I know mine was.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

repeating posted:

First, even Simple Starter plan has 500mb data for $40 a month. 2nd MMS doesn't require a data plan.

First, she pays $30/month. And extra $120/year isn't worth it for her use case.

Second, that's why I was so confused about being told that I need data turned on.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Ev posted:

My phone simply will not install the Lumia Camera app. And, before anyone asks, yes it's a Lumia.

Every time I try to install the thing it downloads, looks like it's installing and then gives an error telling me to make sure my phone is on the latest update for it, which it is. It's on the most up to date version of the DP and running the Cyan firmware.

So what the gently caress? Is this happening to anyone else?

Quoting myself here because I figured out what was wrong. I had apps set to install on the SD card and when I changed it to install on the phone it finally worked.

Of course my phone thinks there's 200 GB of storage used up on a 32 GB SD card, so I guess there's something wrong there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well at least some good news:

quote:

All Windows Phone 8 Handsets Will Get Windows 10, Microsoft Says

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/all-windows-phone-8-handsets-will-get-windows-10-microsoft-says