Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deteriorata posted:

This is pretty fun: New York Times Regional Dialect Quiz

It does remarkably well at pinning down where you grew up, tempered by where your parents grew up, based on what you call things.

People say "crayon" as one syllable? :psyduck:

edit: Pretty close, actually. It says I'm most similar to how people talk from south Illinois down to east Texas, which is legit.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lotish posted:

You mean you don't pronounce crayon as crayon?

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
It's Coke. We all Coke down here. And when you're down here, YOU'LL....COKE...TOO!!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Deteriorata posted:

It does remarkably well at pinning down where you grew up, tempered by where your parents grew up, based on what you call things.

So I was born in Missouri and lived here my whole life as have my entire family, but this thing says I have a Bostonian dialect?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lotish posted:

edit: Pretty close, actually. It says I'm most similar to how people talk from south Illinois down to east Texas, which is legit.

It told me I'm from Chicago, which I am, so that's cool. Or not, depending on how grating you find Chicago accents.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I was born in Missouri and lived here my whole life as have my entire family, but this thing says I have a Bostonian dialect?

Well, lexicon at least somewhat. It can kinda guess dialect, but might not be able to pin down exact markers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RaspberryCommie posted:

Perhaps you need to have an honest chat with your mother.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Doesnt matter what shape butter is in, mutha fuckers still cant print the tbsp markings accurately so gently caress them both.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Just took the quiz. The result was basically "Uh, yeah, hate to break this to you but you're basically a West Texan".

Which is true, mind. Without getting in to the cultural differences between the various regions. But then I've discovered that we Texans are easy to pick out when traveling abroad.

*EDIT*

What the gently caress else is there to call the night before Halloween other than "the night before Halloween"? And why wasn't "I don't have a word for that, but Day of the Dead is probably better"?

citybeatnik has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Nov 12, 2014

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
I would like to avoid going where I can get attacked by a "mountain screamer."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Deteriorata posted:

It says I'm from Yonkers or Jersey City, or maybe the tip of Florida. As a British-born Australian, do those places have a lot of filthy foreigners?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

NotAnArtist posted:

You mean you don't pronounce crayon as crayon?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm from Jersey apparently. I should probably watch fewer Kevin Smith movies :norway:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Deteriorata posted:

:confused:

I'm from the midwest. Dad's from the east coast and mom's from the midwest.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lotish posted:

I think it's a Southern thing; I hear it a lot here in Alabama. (It's "crown." I have no idea why.)

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

It says I'm from Yonkers or Jersey City, or maybe the tip of Florida. As a British-born Australian, do those places have a lot of filthy foreigners?

Jesus, I live in Yonkers and it nailed it.

I suppose it has it's fair share of foreign born people. I never thought about it but I'd assume a lot of people come from Central and South America as well as a significant Irish community. Oh and Polish but not as much as it used to.

VVV It's crazy, but some monsters apparently do wipe standing up.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 12, 2014

KILLALLNERDS.EXE
Oct 12, 2009
so, huh, some people wipe their rear end while standing up...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sorry, misread the thread title and thought I was in another thread!

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Nov 12, 2014

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you know Wisconsin people call drinking fountains "bubblers"? What the hell happened to that arctic hellscape of a state?

We have this plumbing company, Kohler, that patented and trademarked one of the early models of drinking fountains and named it The Bubbler. Kohler is in SE Wisconsin, and since transportation/communication isn't what it is now compared to the late 1800's, the name stayed rather localized, except for usage in Portland and Australia, who also used the design. Other companies tried similar things, patenting/trademarking their designs with unusual names (The Gusher, The Gurgler) but those never caught on.

The Bubbler design fell out of favor as it was straight up vertical instead of an arc to the side.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Say Nothing saves the day again.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Say Nothing saves the day again.

Happened to be watching TNG on my second monitor, now I'm losing my poo poo. thanks.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

citybeatnik posted:

What the gently caress else is there to call the night before Halloween other than "the night before Halloween"? And why wasn't "I don't have a word for that, but Day of the Dead is probably better"?

Around here it's called "Beggar's Night" and it's when the trick-or-treating actually happens(for safety, I guess?)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fizbin posted:

Around here it's called "Beggar's Night" and it's when the trick-or-treating actually happens(for safety, I guess?)

It's called "Devil's Night" in Detroit, which is a very specific regional thing.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

It's called "Devil's Night" in Detroit, which is a very specific regional thing.

Wait are you telling me that the regional dialect quiz pertains to unique regional dialects?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Until they started calling it "Angel's Night" in the hopes of making people stop setting fire to things. It actually worked! (Of course, the roving squads of volunteers out to stop those up to no good helped.)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

I call it Devil's Night, but mostly because I heard about Devil's Night in Detroit and didn't have any other word for it.

It correctly guessed Cleveland, apparently no one else uses the word "tree lawn".

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
It seems like if you call it a hoagie, it automatically places you in Philly/South Jersey

Which is accurate

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Twitch posted:

It correctly guessed Cleveland, apparently no one else uses the word "tree lawn".

Devil Strip

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

That's because Halloween ain't 'til maņana.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm from L.A. but live in Virginia and it gave me two hotspots: Fresno and Arlington. Pretty neat.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Abugadu posted:

We have this plumbing company, Kohler, that patented and trademarked one of the early models of drinking fountains and named it The Bubbler. Kohler is in SE Wisconsin, and since transportation/communication isn't what it is now compared to the late 1800's, the name stayed rather localized, except for usage in Portland and Australia, who also used the design. Other companies tried similar things, patenting/trademarking their designs with unusual names (The Gusher, The Gurgler) but those never caught on.

The Bubbler design fell out of favor as it was straight up vertical instead of an arc to the side.

It's "bubbler" in Massachusetts, too. Well, "bubblah."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Gromit posted:

Are you asking if South Florida is full of immigrants? Because, you know, yeah.

That quiz is pretty cool. It put me in Miami, and I was born in the Miami area. I thought I would throw it off because I've spent a lot of time in different parts of the country, and I know my speech patterns have changed. Its first two guesses were within 30-60 minutes of where I was born.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Nov 12, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

citybeatnik posted:

South New Jersey. It's called Mischief Night here because it's typically the night that teenagers go out egging cars and TPing houses and poo poo.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Burlnton NJ and yeah totally forgot about Mischief Night.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I'm from Maine.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I grew up in central Indiana and it placed me in either Yonkers or Fort Lauderdale (or a city slightly to the west of Fort Lauderdale) :psyduck:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Polaron posted:

I grew up in central Indiana and it placed me in either Yonkers or Fort Lauderdale (or a city slightly to the west of Fort Lauderdale) :psyduck:

Central Indiana is host to the General American Accent. We don't have any defining features in our vocabulary either. The quiz has no loving idea where to put us because we're an anomaly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It doesn't include Canada, but it guessed either Buffalo, NY or Vancouver, OR, which pretty much covers the span.

They should add in a learning algorithm like Akinator so eventually it'll be able to pinpoint the town in Mumbai you grew up in by how differently you pronounce 'keef halak' and 'keef halek.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

• Locked thread